Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #1216
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

Loved hearing all about your visit to the pier Well done Ben! Sounds like there were some grumps aboout that morning but I'm glad you managed 3 jumps The sand and water look gorgeous but seagulls joining in the feeding frenzy might freak me out a bit
luvpoohandcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #1217
rusty4
DIS Veteran

Ben is a great story teller! That Lady sounds like a Witch.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #1218
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post
Love Ben, the guest reporter. I think he hit on all the important parts of a visit to the pier!

And I love that pier - I could hang out there all day.

I went to Fort Myers for a week in 2011 and I loved hanging out on the pier, watching all the action and the fish.
Thanks from me and from Ben!

There was always a lot of action and great people and fish watching out on the pier.

Especially when accompanied by our sunset stroll beverages.

And most especially when those beverages were Sunken Treasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvpoohandcompany View Post
Loved hearing all about your visit to the pier Well done Ben! Sounds like there were some grumps aboout that morning but I'm glad you managed 3 jumps The sand and water look gorgeous but seagulls joining in the feeding frenzy might freak me out a bit
Thanks!

Ben has turned into a little vacation mini-me. He wants me to take pictures of all his meals and his drinks and he even started planning writing this chapter of the trip report moments after it happened.

The people on the pier that day were definitely interesting. Every single one of them had a quirk. The one that cracked me up was the woman with one flipper on. It is pretty hard to descend a ladder in fins, but I have no idea why she only had one on. I could just picture her swimming in circles. Water was pretty rough too, so all of these people coming down with masks and snorkels were going to have a pretty tough time in the water.

I'll take the seagulls in Mexico over the ones in Disney! I had one scare the life out of me in EPCOT when it swooped down and grabbed a churro right out of my hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty4 View Post
Ben is a great story teller! That Lady sounds like a Witch.
Ben thanks you, and so do I. He did a great job writing about our experience.

Seriously, this woman is criticizing an 11 year old for keeping her waiting?

As Mark pointed out to us, for safety reasons, people who want to get OUT of the water should have priority over people trying to get in. We had been more than patient waiting as others came down (or attempted) to get into the water.

Last edited by natebenma; 03-27-2013 at 09:52 AM.
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #1219
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

You've brought a smile to my face this morning imagining Ben taking food pics and planning TR while on his vacation I would have had a heart attack had a seagull grabbed my churro (in no small part because it was stealing MY treats ). One year we stayed at the Yacht Club and the birds there were swooping down and attacking everyone who walked past their tree (near the pier funnily enough). So I did what any good kind loving mother does and used my older children as decoys while I ran like a lunatic pushing the youngest in his buggy I swear there were sparks flying from the soles of my sandles

It's amazing my kids still love me
luvpoohandcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #1220
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvpoohandcompany View Post
You've brought a smile to my face this morning imagining Ben taking food pics and planning TR while on his vacation I would have had a heart attack had a seagull grabbed my churro (in no small part because it was stealing MY treats ). One year we stayed at the Yacht Club and the birds there were swooping down and attacking everyone who walked past their tree (near the pier funnily enough). So I did what any good kind loving mother does and used my older children as decoys while I ran like a lunatic pushing the youngest in his buggy I swear there were sparks flying from the soles of my sandles

It's amazing my kids still love me
I'm so glad that made you smile. Made me smile too when I thought about it, but I'm not sure my DH is pleased that he takes after me in the vacation department. Oh, well.

That is hilarious about sacrificing your kids to dodge the birds!

Old 03-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #1221
HockeyMomR
DIS Veteran

Dee - LOL love the Ben report!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #1222
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMomR View Post
Dee - LOL love the Ben report!
Thank you! I am really proud of him. As soon as we got back from the pier, he was excited to tell Nate the story and he was insistent that he was going to write about it.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #1223
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Great trip report Ben!!! Love it!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 AM   #1224
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

HAPPY EASTER!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #1225
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
Great trip report Ben!!! Love it!

Amanda
Thanks for the nice comments about Ben's report!

He told me yesterday that he wants a little notebook to carry around on our trip in July so he can write down what time we do rides. Looks like I have me a trip reporter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
HAPPY EASTER!
Thank you!!!

I hope you and your family had a lovely Easter, too!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #1226
natebenma
DIS Veteran

I am about to post the next chapter of my report- and there are some familiar Disney characters to be found.

Now, I don't like to beg, but if you haven't read the part of the trip report that Ben wrote, please do (One Ring to Fail Them All, page 81). THANKS!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #1227
natebenma
DIS Veteran

A Touch of Disney South of the Border

There are 3 theatres on the Barcelo property- Monte Alban for Palace guests, Palenque for Colonial/Tropical (and Palace) guests and Kulkulkan for anyone staying at the resort.

Palenque Teatro

We are early risers. I wake up between 4 am and 5 am every single day of the year- weekends, holidays, vacations. The rest of my family usually starts stirring around 6 am. In our previous two trips, we had not seen any shows. Since I have read reviews about how great the shows are, we were determined to see some if they sounded interesting, and if we were not totally toast at the end of the day.

Every day I checked the poster at the end of the hallway that showed that nightís scheduled performance. I intended to also check out what was playing at the Beach/Caribe theatre, but we never made it to the theatre, B/C lobby or buildings to see a schedule.

Showing at the Palenque Teatro during our trip:

Saturday: Caribbean Music (would have been nice, too tired)
Sunday: Battle of the Sexes
Monday: Variete
Tuesday: Mexican Show
Wednesday: Karaoke
Thursday: Fantasia

Most of these shows really did not interest me. Maybe the Caribbean Music or Mexican show, but we were really tired those nights so we didnít make the effort.

Except for the last night

I am an unapologetic Disney nerd. I really wanted to check out this show. Who wants to go with me???

Not my family! It was the night before our early morning departure, and my husband thought I was crazy, but after they all hit the sack, I went out to the show. Solo. Just me and my point and shoot camera.

I arrived during the pre-show- some very talented performers singing popular ballads.

I was in one of the back rows, but I had a great unobstructed view.

Right until showtime! A couple came in and joined a guy who was sitting in the seat a row ahead of me and they sat right in front of me. So I moved to another seat closer to the stage, on the left hand side.

Keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times and please, No Flash Photography!

Continued in the next post: pictures from Fantasia
Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #1228
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Fantasia: A Touch of Disney (and more)

Tarzan

Wizard of Oz

Beauty and the Beast

Kung Fu Panda

Toy Story

Hercules

The Little Mermaid

I absolutely loved the costumes and songs! It was a really fun show!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #1229
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Ben is a good trip report writer! He did a great job telling the story of what happened at the pier.

Who would have ever thought that you would get a little piece of Disney even while you were "South of the Border"? Too bad you couldn't talk the others into going with you because it looks like the show was really well done.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: