Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #31
Rosanne
DIS Veteran

I have a pretty extreme paranoia about bedbugs, lice, and fleas. I totally get the anxiety. I was driving in the rain at night through road construction and a semi was passing me at tight quarters. I was initially tense about it but then I kept saying to myself... "It's not bedbugs, it's just a semi. It's not lice, it's just a semi. It's not fleas, it's just a semi. A harmless little 18 wheeler".

Anyway, as part of my routine I use these huge xxl ziploc or glad or something.
They come in, like, L, XL, and XXL. I can cover my entire suitcase with the XXL (the kind you can use as a carry on). I use other other sizes to contain everything else.

I have other ways to ward of the evil bug o' the bed but the ziploc type bags could be helpful even to normal people . None of my ways involve sprays... just checks and following certain self-imposed rules.

I also agree that Disney does a great job with this.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #32
brertoad
DIS Veteran

Wow, this is surprising to me. I've never even thought about looking for bedbugs. We just stayed at SSR this month, plus we've stayed dozens of nights at various DVC and Disney Resorts. After reading all the comments, I realize it can happen anywhere, but I hope we never have a problem with it sounds horrible, definitely not magical.

I would think Mousekeeping would be really good at catching it when the turn the room over.
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 02:59 AM   #33
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearloch View Post
I too check every time and have never seen any thankfully!! BUT I have a lot of friends who have seen them expecially in TAXIS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl View Post
Best you can do for yourself is thoroughly check the room before you move in with any of your belongings. Unfortunately the hotel may not always be the source of these little buggers - could've picked them up on the plane or if the luggage was stored with any other luggage at any time.

Huge nuisance for everyone.
OK, probably a stupid question, but these little buggars have to be coming in from somewhere (either on tourists' persons or their luggage). Wouldn't these people know they had them at home and would need to take care of them for their own sake? If they have them on their person and luggage, then their home would be infested also. How could they not treat them before leaving their own home and thus transporting them to the rest of us?

Last edited by aubriee; 03-28-2013 at 03:10 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #34
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Do people actually put their entire suitcase in a huge ziploc type bag before checking it on the airplane??? I think it's a good idea since most are probably picked up in cargo holds, luggage transfers etc but do people really enclose their entire suitcase in giant plastic bags for air travel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
I have a pretty extreme paranoia about bedbugs, lice, and fleas. I totally get the anxiety. I was driving in the rain at night through road construction and a semi was passing me at tight quarters. I was initially tense about it but then I kept saying to myself... "It's not bedbugs, it's just a semi. It's not lice, it's just a semi. It's not fleas, it's just a semi. A harmless little 18 wheeler".

Anyway, as part of my routine I use these huge xxl ziploc or glad or something.
They come in, like, L, XL, and XXL. I can cover my entire suitcase with the XXL (the kind you can use as a carry on). I use other other sizes to contain everything else.

I have other ways to ward of the evil bug o' the bed but the ziploc type bags could be helpful even to normal people . None of my ways involve sprays... just checks and following certain self-imposed rules.

I also agree that Disney does a great job with this.
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #35
donnaf516
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwdw View Post
Do people actually put their entire suitcase in a huge ziploc type bag before checking it on the airplane??? I think it's a good idea since most are probably picked up in cargo holds, luggage transfers etc but do people really enclose their entire suitcase in giant plastic bags for air travel?
I wish I could find ziploc bags big enough to fit our luggage. I am super paranoid when it comes to bed bugs! My family knows that nobody steps foot into the room before I inspect.

August 2010 - POR
August 2011 - CBR
February 2012 - Pop
August 2012 - BC
August 2013 - POFQ
donnaf516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #36
eMd
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaf516 View Post
I wish I could find ziploc bags big enough to fit our luggage. I am super paranoid when it comes to bed bugs! My family knows that nobody steps foot into the room before I inspect.
My earlier reply has a link to something called a bug zip. It's not really meant for use on the airline itself, but it's basically a big enough ziplock for your luggage to use in room and then leave behind/thrown out when you leave.
eMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #37
eMd
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
OK, probably a stupid question, but these little buggars have to be coming in from somewhere (either on tourists' persons or their luggage). Wouldn't these people know they had them at home and would need to take care of them for their own sake? If they have them on their person and luggage, then their home would be infested also. How could they not treat them before leaving their own home and thus transporting them to the rest of us?
For the most part, after looking into the history of bed bugs in the United States...they were pretty much obsolete because of the used of chemicals like DDt. In aroudn 1996, something was signed that completely banned this chemical and other harmful pesticides. Since then beg bugs have been on the rise in the US again. It basically comes from foreign travelers. Once they have brought them back to the US people didn't realize that they needed to look out for them. Realistically, as a kid I always thought "don't let the bed bugs bite" was a saying. Then, in my 20s after waking up with bed bug bite welts all over, I learned it is in fact not just a saying.

Some people aren't allergic to the bites(just as some aren't allergic to poison ivy...me=allerigc to bed bug bites but not poison ivy-ask me how I know). If you aren't getting a reaction to bites, and you don't know to look for them at all you might not even notice it. Also, you can pick them up in movie theaters, people's homes, cabs, airplanes, etc. So really someone might not be infested at their own house, but picked it up in transportation to their hotel.
eMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #38
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
Well, they may not be aware they have them in their home yet, it might be a very recent infestation. Or, they could have picked them up on the plane, or the taxi or shuttle on the way to the airport. Or, the bugs could have gotten into their luggage from a neighboring bag in the plane's cargo hold. Or, if they were driving to Disney, they might have picked up the bugs at another hotel on the way down.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #39
Alic
Earning My Ears

Thumbs down BED BUGS from the All Star

I recently stayed at the All Star in the Baseball section with a school trip. My roommate is paranoid about bed bugs and checked our room when we arrived. Our third day in I noticed several bites on my arm. By the time I got home, after 5 days there, I had 59 bites on my one arm and 17 on my one hand. Not to mention the bites on my other arm, hand, neck, legs, torso and FACE!! I called Disney and put in a claim. They were not very polite or helpful. I called them every other day for 3 weeks. I asked to speak to a supervisor several times and even left a message for one to call me...NO call back. After 4 WEEKS...They finally checked the room with the dogs...positive for bed bugs. I honestly think the only reason they even checked it was because I kept calling. They said they couldn't check it sooner because GUESTS WERE STAYING IN THE ROOM!!! How many families had to suffer after me because Disney dropped the ball and did NOT do their jobs? My guess is atleast 5-6. IRRESPONSIBLE!! Disney is paying for a new suitcase, my copay, my prescription and $500. It was a horrible experience and I am nervous to go back. I understand that bed bugs are not Disney's fault but how they are handling the situation is. The problem is out of control and they are not stepping up. We checked our room so im not sure what else you can do....
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'March 05, 2005 3:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=maroon>Senior Trip Chaperone...here comes 230 of us! </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Look out here we come!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
Alic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #40
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

This bed bug thing is over played, just a bug....

Like mosquitoes.
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #41
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post

Like mosquitoes.
It's not the bug itself that bothers me. I mean I don't love bugs, but I don't care. It's the PITA stuff that I'd have to do to remove the bugs from my home. And the stuff that would be ruined and I'd have to throw away.

WDW: JULY/AUGUST 2002, MARCH 2004, MARCH/APRIL 2005, SEPTEMBER 2006, SEPTEMBER 2007, SEPTEMBER 2008, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, SEPTEMBER 2011, SEPTEMBER 2013, SEPTEMBER 2015
DLR: APRIL 1998, DECEMBER 2005, JANUARY 2012, JANUARY 2013

lacrosse_lady72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #42
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec

Like mosquitoes.
Seriously? The cost and pain of getting rid of the things is terrible.

Also, mosquitoes kill many people every year by spreading disease.

I don't know if you would feel it was overplayed if your house was infested with bed bugs or a loved one was seriously ill from bird flu, malaria, etc.
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for BCV dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #43
ABE4DISNEY
DIS Veteran

Maybe I missed it but did the OP ever post what section of SSR the bedbugs were located?

ABE4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #44
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alic
I recently stayed at the All Star in the Baseball section with a school trip. My roommate is paranoid about bed bugs and checked our room when we arrived. Our third day in I noticed several bites on my arm. By the time I got home, after 5 days there, I had 59 bites on my one arm and 17 on my one hand. Not to mention the bites on my other arm, hand, neck, legs, torso and FACE!! I called Disney and put in a claim. They were not very polite or helpful.
Respectfully, if your roommate was avid about checking for bedbugs and there was no issue the first couple of days, it sounds like the bedbugs were introduced to the room after you arrived - it would seem more reasonable that one of you brought them in (without knowing), than that they were already in the room.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #45
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABE4DISNEY View Post
Maybe I missed it but did the OP ever post what section of SSR the bedbugs were located?
Wouldn't really matter. The bugs were gone ("poofed") after the OP notified officials.

That room could never see another bedbug... or the next guest could bring in a new infestation.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: