Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
jasonflk
Earning My Ears

Obviously I don't know your Dad.

But depending on what he likes he could do a whole lot of other things, just leave printouts in the bathroom or on a table with "other" orlando things to do, he has to want to go and join the family himself.

A a personal note if I didn't want to go to a theme park (unlikely), if i knew about "drinking around the world" Behind the scene tours I could be convinced to change my mind :-)
jasonflk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #17
jpessa
Addicted to Disney

My husband is one of those crazy, impossible to understand people who don't really love Disney. In fact, he doesn't like it at all. In his defense, he has ADHD and he gets overwhelmed by the crouds and loud music.

That being said, we've been twice in the past 2 yrs. First trip was a disaster, we fought constantly. Second trip in November was fabulous because even though we were there on a family trip (DD was 2.5), the rule was "if you don't want to come to the park, don't come to the park". That way, he only came when he felt he could handle it. The rest of the time, he spent it alone relaxing in the pool, watching football at ESPN, etc. Maybe your Dad is into Golf?
We still often went to the pool in the afternoons together and ate out (had FD so did TS each night). It worked out great for all of us!
I'm now planning my next trip for October with DD, no DH. He said he didn't want to come, and I didn't push it. If he changes his mind last minute, that's OK too. But I know that if I force him to come, nobody will have fun.
I'd say give your Dad the option to go if he wants, don't push him, explain him his options and see what happens. Enjoy your trip with the people who will love it as much as you do!
jpessa is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Don't try to convince him. He is an adult and can say not to going to Disney if he wants to. Please just respect his opinion, even if it is different than what you want it to be.

It sounds like you and your Mom are on the same page, so go and have a great time.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #19
n0cturnalbynature
Earning My Ears

Talking

Hey, sorry to bring back a super old thread, but I just wanted to let anyone know who cares that my father actually wants to go now! I didn't force him. He just came to me a few months ago and asked exactly what we were going to do. So I told him and I showed him some of the videos on the planning website. He said he would go!

I also let him know that he didn't have to go to the parks when he didn't feel like it and that he could rest up in the hotel room or just do his own thing with my mom. He likes animals a lot and we are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I think he'll enjoy it.

Thanks everyone for all of your advice. We are leaving in 22 days! I can barely contain my excitement.
n0cturnalbynature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

YAY!! How wonderful. I am glad it will work out in the end and you will make such wonderful new memories with your family.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #21
Ladygoldenhair
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
Go with your mom. Don't force someone who isn't interested.
This!
If he doesn't have the Disney bug, don't force him. I made that mistake two prior trips, no more!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #22
Hayliesmom
Mouseketeer

I just wanted to warn you that it is still extremely hot in September. We went the last week of September last year and I felt like I was going to pass out at Epcot and we all ended up with sunburns.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #23
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0cturnalbynature View Post
My mother wants to go as well and we settled on a day in September. My 21 year old brother seems indifferent, but he doesn't mind coming along and I'm sure he will enjoy it once he gets there.

However, my father says it doesn't seem like something he'd want to do again.

Anyone have any advice?
Is there somewhere else that everyone can agree they would have an enjoyable vacation?
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #24
crisi
DIS Veteran

Saw the update - glad he has come around.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #25
robinb
DIS Veteran

Frankly, it's better to leave him at home than for him to come with you and make your trip miserable. We used to call my step-father "Mr Grumpy" since he hated WDW and grumped about it the entire time. He toured WDW by walking from one smoking area to another. It really brought my mother's spirits down and you know what they say: "When the Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" .

Whoops! I just noticed this was an old thread that was updated. I'm glad that he's now onboard! Have a great time .
Old 08-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #26
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I saw your update. I have a few other ideas that might make it more interesting for him-fishing, golf and the speedway track. Downtown Disney also has a lot of other things that aren't so Disney that he might enjoy.

I'm sure I won't ever get my dad to go to WDW. #1 he hates to fly so driving would take so long.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #27
cheshireqt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey, sorry to bring back a super old thread, but I just wanted to let anyone know who cares that my father actually wants to go now! I didn't force him. He just came to me a few months ago and asked exactly what we were going to do. So I told him and I showed him some of the videos on the planning website. He said he would go!

I also let him know that he didn't have to go to the parks when he didn't feel like it and that he could rest up in the hotel room or just do his own thing with my mom. He likes animals a lot and we are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I think he'll enjoy it.

Thanks everyone for all of your advice. We are leaving in 22 days! I can barely contain my excitement.
That is wonderful news!

I was reading through the thread and before I saw your awesome update was going to say that my DH had no concept of what a week at Disney would be like, which was why he was so resistant to it.

background: We had done 3 half days at MK (1995, 1998 and 2000), always at super hot, super crowded times and dates, and always with his parents, who lived in FL at that time and only wanted to ride 3 rides and then leave. Oh and they would complain the whole time about the heat, and crowds and expense, even though we paid.

Anyway in late 2005 I ordered the planning video and the unofficial guide to Disney and read him excerpts, also made him watch the video. He started getting excited about the new ride at AK (Expedition Everest) and the rides at Epcot and DS. Of course I talked constantly about Disney! We went in 2006, the entire week before labor day, stayed at AKL and rode every ride, including both waterparks. Kids were 6 and 9 and the perfect age to fully enjoy it. Also his parents were not invited It was not crowded as most schools were already back in session. It was hot, but we had a plan and it worked! He was amazed that we walked onto some rides and usually had only a 15 min wait on others, even Soarin' and Splash . We ate at several character meals and also went to the Luah show at Poly. Some days we swam at AKL pool during the hottest part of the day, other days we went to a water park for a half day, having already packed 4 to 5 hours in at one of the big 4 parks, and then we park hopped to another park for the evening. WE were exhausted by the end of the week, but we had a blast! My DH? He was like one big happy kid the whole time! In fact he asked to go back the next year! We took the kids out of school in Sep 2007 for our 15 year anniversary and had as great a time the second time around as the first.

I hope you have a splendid time and that he starts helping make plans to go again as soon as you get back Is it crazy that I can be so excited about someone I don't even know going to Disney?

AKL 8/2006, POFQ 9/2007, Universal-RPR 2/2009, :CBR 8/2009-4 generation GRANDGATHERING, Universal-HRH 8/2011

Last edited by cheshireqt; 08-31-2013 at 11:10 AM.
cheshireqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #28
RHMH
When I retire, I want to get a real job and work for Disney

Location: Born In (Setagaya, Tokyo) Now Living In Fort Worth, Texas

Quote:

That is great news - very glad it worked out for everyone.

You and your family will love AKL. We stayed there this past July and enjoyed every minute of our stay.

May be sprinkled over you and your family.....

Link to RHMH - July 2014 Disneyland Trip Report Thread -- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3302724

DD 14 ME 56 Issac 24
WDW 2002, WDW 2003, Tokyo Disney 2003, WDW 2004, Paris Disney 2004, WDW 2005, WDW 2006, WDW 2007, WDW 2008, WDW 2009, WDW 2010, WDW 2011, WDW 2012, WDW 2013
DLR 2014
RHMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #29
n0cturnalbynature
Earning My Ears

Red face

Thanks for the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayliesmom View Post
I just wanted to warn you that it is still extremely hot in September. We went the last week of September last year and I felt like I was going to pass out at Epcot and we all ended up with sunburns.
Oh no! I don't know why I didn't remember that. I did the DCP in fall 2010. Well, I should be okay as well as my brother and dad (they are very active and outdoors all the time). But I better tell my mom to hit the treadmill... And pack loads of sunscreen...

Quote:
I was reading through the thread and before I saw your awesome update was going to say that my DH had no concept of what a week at Disney would be like, which was why he was so resistant to it.
I think that's the case with my dad. Once he saw the actual game plan, that there is more than the Magic Kingdom and there wouldn't be a 5 and 8 year old screwing up the pace (my brother and I insisted on amusing ourselves for hours during our 90s trip at an average park with a few slides and a swing outside of Disney World property. Then we insisted on returning the next day), he was much more into it. He's excited to try Test Track and he loves the Jurassic Park ride at Universal :D

Quote:
Is there somewhere else that everyone can agree they would have an enjoyable vacation?
Well, we actually haven't taken a family vacation in years now and no one had offered to make any plans. So I decided to. I pitched the idea to my mom- who had wanted to visit since I was a DCP. My brother IS indifferent, but he would have been indifferent about anything. It's just how he is. He doesn't get excited about things until they are right upon him. Lately, he's been saying things like "Three weeks til Disney World!" so I know he'll enjoy it.
My dad is a pretty easygoing guy. He doesn't take initiative to plan most vacations on his own, but he never minds going along for the ride and usually ends up enjoying himself. If we have to worry about anyone, it'll probably be my mom. She can be a liiiiiiittle bossy on vacation.

Quote:
I saw your update. I have a few other ideas that might make it more interesting for him-fishing, golf and the speedway track. Downtown Disney also has a lot of other things that aren't so Disney that he might enjoy.

I'm sure I won't ever get my dad to go to WDW. #1 he hates to fly so driving would take so long.
Thanks for the advice! My dad is weird though. He doesn't golf, fish or care much for cars (my brother on the other hand would LOVE the speedway track so I'll tell him about it). My dad is a big music man. He likes performances and a general respect for music. So I think he'll like some aspects of The World Showcase. He and my mom are also old Hollywood fans so Hollywood Studios should be fun for them.

And aw. My dad is actually scared of flying too... But he figured he might as well do it because he has to fly later this year with his band. But a nice road trip isn't the worst thing. You can make a longer trip out of it. When I was younger, we stopped in Tennessee and Atlanta and saw Graceland and the Coke Factory :D
n0cturnalbynature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
Jessica14
DIS Veteran

I just want to say how lovely and special it is that two adult children are vacationing happily with their parents. Your memories of this trip will be so amazing!
2010:POFQ 12/11-12/17:
2011: Santa took us to POP!

My Blog: A Woman's Pause www.jessicajudd.blogspot.com
Jessica14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dad father

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: