Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
pld5
Dreaming of Disney

They Don't Make Pencils in Pennsylvania? A Feb/Mar 2013 Trip Report

Hello! And welcome to my second trip report. My pre trip report was titled A Pirate, A Jedi and a Platypus walk into a Lounge and can currently be found in my signature.

We traveled to WDW from 2/24/13 to 3/2/13 and stayed at the Wilderness Lodge.

Our party consisted of:

Our son Edward - who turned seven during our trip.

My husband Paul - who is a relatively recent Disney convert - 2005 was his first trip.

And me, Patty. I am 44 now and I have been going to Disney World in Florida since I was about 4? I love it there and it has such a special memory in my family history for me.

This was my first trip without one of my parents and it was bittersweet for reasons to be disclosed later. But my parents traveled with us on our last trip in January 2012 and were invited (and wanted to be) along on this trip, but somewhere along the way they decided they could not walk as well as in previous trips and were afraid of holding us up. I do not subscribe to the commando method of touring so I'm sorry that they felt that they made us move at less than a pace than we wanted to because our January trip was darn near perfect! But they had some concerns and I knew I had planned this trip for my son Edward and not for everyone else, so I did not force the issue.

So, on to our first day of traveling, shall we?

We flew out of Pittsburgh at 730am on 2/24. The weather was not freezing and there were no storms so I did not have to worry about a delay on that day.

In the airport

We got breakfast at TGIFriday's before going to our gate.

At the gate

On the plane

Best $30 spent was on early bird check in. We had a full flight from Pgh.

Above the clouds

Landed early at 9:30 and on Magical Express by 10am.

Welcome Home!

1972 - 1987 -WDW semi-annual trips with parents & brother -offsite hotels, 10/2005 - Pregnant with DS - offsite rental home (DH's first trip), 3/2010 -DS's first visit for his 4th birthday - offsite rental home, 1/2012 - First stay onsite -WL "]Better Late Than Never January 22-28, 2012, They Don't Make Pencils in PA? Feb/Mar 2013 TR,
Why Do I Have To Ride By Myself? Feb/Mar 2014 TR

Last edited by pld5; 03-27-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Adding some photos
pld5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
pld5
Dreaming of Disney

Arrival Day Continued

After arriving at Wilderness Lodge, we were taken upstairs to check in on the 7th Floor. Our concierge had a birthday button for Edward and asked if he wanted him to write his nickname on it. Edward thought about it and said that he could call him Ed. So he handed him his button and our son told him that actually he prefers Edward. Fran was very accommodating.

As luck would have it, our room was ready, but the lounge was closed for cleaning between breakfast and snack hours. But Fran, the concierge who showed us to our room offered to get us anything we might want. We asked if we might have a beer for the 2 adults and an apple juice for Edward. As he left, I looked at the clock and realized that I just ordered a beer at 11am. I probably should have ordered some coffee but I'll blame the desire for a beer on the air and bus travel at such an early hour of that day.

While Fran was gone, our phone lit up and it turns out that Edward had a Happy Birthday message from Mickey and Minnie. It was very sweet.

Here is the view from our room. We could see Cinderella's Castle and the monorail going into the Contemporary. This came in handy at night the following night.

Edward liked the Mickey left on the bed.

We drank our beer and then once the lounge opened up, we went and got a snack - a banana, some potato chips and some coffee.

Then since it was still before 1pm, we decided to do a little swimming. Paul and I would rather have napped, but we did pack ours and Edward's swimsuits in our carryon luggage for exactly this reason so we thought we would regret it if we didn't. I'm so glad we did! It was very refreshing and Edward immediately remembered how much he enjoyed the slide.

We spent about an hour at the pool and then we got Edward a chicken nugget meal from Roaring Forks to eat in the room.

Then went to get changed back into our clothes to go wait for a bus to Epcot.

We got there around 2:45. I sent Paul for Soarin' fastpasses and I picked up the photopass + card and we agreed to meet at Innoventions. Our fast pass return time was between 730 and 830. Originally we had planned to see Wishes at Magic Kingdom that night with preferred AAA viewing, but decided to forego that so we could enjoy one of Edward's favorite rides on our first day: Soarin'.

We spent some time in Innoventions and learned about fire safety.

Then we went to Club Cool.

Then we went and got our first photopass pictures of the week taken.

Then we saw Duffy was just opening a line so we went to meet him.

After that, we rode Nemo and made it just in time for our 4pm Coral Reef reservation. When I originally made our ADR for Coral Reef, I thought it would be nice to sit down and have someone wait on us after a long travel day. It was very relaxing in there near the tanks. We were in the 2nd row back and didn't have a spot on view, but I thought it was very pleasant. My steak was a bit tough and my husband's catfish (or was it rainbow trout?) was served in triangles but he liked it. I would probably eat here again just for the relaxation factor and maybe order and appetizer instead of using a dining credit.

1972 - 1987 -WDW semi-annual trips with parents & brother -offsite hotels, 10/2005 - Pregnant with DS - offsite rental home (DH's first trip), 3/2010 -DS's first visit for his 4th birthday - offsite rental home, 1/2012 - First stay onsite -WL "]Better Late Than Never January 22-28, 2012, They Don't Make Pencils in PA? Feb/Mar 2013 TR,

Last edited by pld5; 03-27-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
pld5
Dreaming of Disney

Arrival Day, part 3

After Coral Reef, we decided to walk over to Mexico and ride "that Donald ride". Then we met someone afterwards.

Mexican Donald

Then we convinced Edward to go on the Maelstrom ride in Norway, which broke down halfway through. Its probably a good thing it did because Edward was starting to look scared, but the way it broke down allowed him to calm down and enjoy it when it got started again.

Then we moved on to Germany.

I was in line with some folks who had done the marathon that day and they were very much looking forward to their treat. I said I had been dreaming about this counter for over a year. When I only bought two items, they all admired my restraint. The person who waited on us only charged us one snack credit because of Edward's birthday button. Which was very nice of him considering Edward wanted no parts of my two chocolate covered caramels. While still in Germany, Paul got a beer and a pretzel and was in long longer than us, which surprised me.

Edward wanted some popcorn which we found in America and then Paul found him some icecream in France where I just so happened to find a grand marnier slushie......

On the bridge from France to England in Epcot.

From there we made our way over to use our Soarin' fastpasses at around 8pm.

After Soarin' (which was awesome as always), we went to catch a bus back to Wilderness Lodge where one of us fell promptly asleep.

It didn't take the other two of us that much longer to do the same because we knew we had an early morning on Monday due to an early ADR at DHS and the hopes of signing up for Jedi Training.

Last edited by pld5; 03-27-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
pld5
Dreaming of Disney

Monday, February 25

We had one goal on this day. Get Edward signed up for Jedi training.

Here we are at 7:15 waiting for a taxi to Hollywood Studios.

We had an ADR at 805 at Hollywood and Vine and the park was slated to open at 9am. I opted for a taxi to not be worried about missing our ADR by a late bus or one that stopped at too many other resorts before going to our preferred destination.

Here we are outside of the gate. Do all of these people have reservations to eat at H&V?

Turns out the answer was yes. I remembered eating there last year for lunch and remembered the place as much smaller than it was because we fit in there with no problem. Whew!

But not before a picture of a mainly empty park.

We ate, met the characters, Paul got two made to order omelettes, Edward got plenty of cantaloupe, and I kept an eye on the clock. We had a great waiter by the name of Sip who brought us the check early, and when he overheard us tell Edward what a great birthday week we were already having, brought him a birthday cupcake. Edward was embarrased by all the attention on arrival day so he did not want to wear his button on our second day there (which was not, in fact his birthday yet).

Some pictures of breakfast with the last one of Sip who first told us he doesn't do pictures because he's not a character. Then he burst out laughing and I told him he was Definitely a character!

We left at 8:45 to make it over to the Sounds Dangerous sound stage to get in line to sign up for Jedi Training. Would we make it?

Old 03-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
tazdev3225
I sucked my thumb up with the vacuum
I fell up a mountain skiing and sprained both my ankles

That was a very nice view from your room. Coral Reef is my DGS's favorite restaurant so we eat there whenever he comes with us. Too bad you had a tough steak we have always had really great ones there.

I have never had anything from Karamell Kuche I may need to change that next week. Soarin' I'm not a fan of because of motion issues but it's nice that you got on for you son.

Looking forward to more even though your husband needs to change his choice of sports team apparel. Sorry cross state rivalry we only wear Philly teams here. DGS did like the Steelers for a couple of years when you had an ex Eagle on the team.
tazdev3225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
missangelalexis
DIS Veteran

So glad to see you have started your TR!! Loved the updates so far and can't wait for more

Did Someone Say Adventure?! An Oct '13 TR!

WDW Visits: 1993, 1997
1st Disneyland/California Adventure Visit: 6/26/12
Pop Century with DBF: 1/4/13-1/12/13
MNSSHP/F&W trip with Mom & Dad: 10/5/13-10/12/13
missangelalexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
serene56
DIS Veteran

reading-- i cant wait to hear about the JTA.

our surprise day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2cIzwp4XWk&feature=plcp

serene56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
nyrebecca
DIS Veteran

subbing....LOVE all the pictures~

nyrebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

I'm lovin your trip report! I feel like it's our trip report.... We have that star wars Tshirt, and the stuffed Perry he was holding, and it's awesome to see your DH representing the 'Burgh in his Penguins shirt! We love H&V and call it "the Donald Boat Ride" too. And DS wouldn't wear his button either on his birthday last year.

Can't wait for more updates!

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
pld5
Dreaming of Disney

Yay! I have readers!

Welcome to any folllowers of this report! We had a surprise soccer practice sprung on us this evening, so not sure if I can update more of the TR tonight or tomorrow. Depends on how much energy I have versus what I feel I have. That and the cooperation (or not) of photobucket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdev3225 View Post
That was a very nice view from your room. Coral Reef is my DGS's favorite restaurant so we eat there whenever he comes with us. Too bad you had a tough steak we have always had really great ones there.

I have never had anything from Karamell Kuche I may need to change that next week. Soarin' I'm not a fan of because of motion issues but it's nice that you got on for you son.

Looking forward to more even though your husband needs to change his choice of sports team apparel. Sorry cross state rivalry we only wear Philly teams here. DGS did like the Steelers for a couple of years when you had an ex Eagle on the team.
Welcome! We really enjoyed Coral Reef despite the toughness of my steak. I was especially glad it got us out of our resort on arrival day and to one of our favorite parks - Epcot!

You definitely must try something, anything from Karamell Kuche! And if you wanted to ship me something from there, well, I certainly would not object....

My son has motion isssues but we have him wear sea bands and it helps him enjoy the rides (and the airplane) a lot. When he first rode Soarin' last January, I spent the entire ride looking at him preparing for him to be sick. But thankfully he was not.

Sorry, but Paul wore his Steeler hat all week. He only wore the Penguins shirt the one day though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missangelalexis View Post
So glad to see you have started your TR!! Loved the updates so far and can't wait for more
Welcome! So glad you are here to read! How was your January trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
reading-- i cant wait to hear about the JTA.
Welcome! It will come soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrebecca View Post
subbing....LOVE all the pictures~
Welcome! Thank you! I seem to take a lot. I have a kodak digital camera, my iphone, and I did photopass plus so that the three of us could be in some of our photos. I definitely use all of them to tell our report, as well as jog my memory about what we did!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
pld5
Dreaming of Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
I'm lovin your trip report! I feel like it's our trip report.... We have that star wars Tshirt, and the stuffed Perry he was holding, and it's awesome to see your DH representing the 'Burgh in his Penguins shirt! We love H&V and call it "the Donald Boat Ride" too. And DS wouldn't wear his button either on his birthday last year.

Can't wait for more updates!
Welcome! How funny that you have the same shirt and the same stuffed Perry!

You may notice in some of my pictures this week that I try to color coordinate the family (but not match us all exactly). DH had planned to wear a red shirt on that day but I pointed out he needed to save the red shirt until later in the week and asked if he had anything blue to go with Edward's Star Wars shirt. So Penguins shirt it was!

Will try to update more tonight but with tomorrow a work day, can't promise it. If not tonight, this weekend definitely.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

This is good so far!! I hope your son had a nice birthday

Kaitlin: Directioner and a Huge Jonas Fan
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, ?/14 DLR: Too Many too count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14
DLP: 6/13
WDWJonasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
pld5
Dreaming of Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWJonasGirl View Post
This is good so far!! I hope your son had a nice birthday
Welcome and Thank you! Edward had a great birthday! And we had a great time celebrating it a WDW with him.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great TR! Love all the pics!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
pld5
Dreaming of Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl
Great TR! Love all the pics!
Welcome! and Thank you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: