Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #331
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Great updates! You are on a roll tonight!

I enjoyed all of the pictures from the monorail resort tour. I have never stepped foot in the Grand Floridian, but the pictures are gorgeous.

I love, love, love the one of the piano player. What a fantastic shot!

The Poly. Beautiful!

Amazing fireworks pictures, the colors are so vivid, but my very favorite is the one with all of the spectators watching from the loungers with their ponchos and umbrellas.

As you know, one of my dirty little secrets is that I have never seen Wishes, however, I did watch Nightastic from the Poly Beach and loved that vantage point!

Ben was really pushing for 'Ohana for our July trip. I don't think it will make the cut- we have very limited dining opportunities, so I think I will refrain from showing him these pictures. It would torture him!
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #332
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

I had missed the update with all of the HM pictures, and I have to say they are incredible! I keep making my DH stop playing whatever game he's playing to look at all of Franklin's photos!

We love 'Ohana too. It's just so good, and I adore the feel of the Poly. It's definitely a resort on the 'must list' for me.

I have to agree-to start with the bread pudding would be lovely.
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #333
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
I know, right? I couldn't believe how long it had been since I'd done updates. Luckily for me, I was sick as a dog yesterday. So after finishing up planning a co-worker's Disney trip for next week, I got to work on both TRs. Apparently it takes a fever of 101 to get me to update.

Quote:
I enjoyed all of the pictures from the monorail resort tour. I have never stepped foot in the Grand Floridian, but the pictures are gorgeous.

The Poly. Beautiful!

Amazing fireworks pictures, the colors are so vivid, but my very favorite is the one with all of the spectators watching from the loungers with their ponchos and umbrellas.

As you know, one of my dirty little secrets is that I have never seen Wishes, however, I did watch Nightastic from the Poly Beach and loved that vantage point!
I love the monorail resorts (maybe not quite as as much as I love the Epcot resorts, but still). I just love how they're all so different from one another and very enjoyable in very different ways.

I realized I never told you guys what Franklin did differently for these fireworks pics. He changed lenses for the finale shot. That's why he kept watching the YouTube videos over and over again, so he could know what to listen for before the finale changeover.

Quote:
Ben was really pushing for 'Ohana for our July trip. I don't think it will make the cut- we have very limited dining opportunities, so I think I will refrain from showing him these pictures. It would torture him!
LISTEN TO BEN!!! Seriously, you have boys. Boys like to eat. At 'Ohana you get as much of the yummiest food on the planet to eat as you'd like. Make it your dinner on your MK day. Get a 5:30 or 6 p.m. ADR and monorail right back to the park afterward. It's not like you guys will be worrying about missing the parade or fireworks. I toyed with the idea of trying a different restaurant on our Disneymoon, but then looking through all these pictures to write this chapter made me realize how silly that idea was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
I had missed the update with all of the HM pictures, and I have to say they are incredible! I keep making my DH stop playing whatever game he's playing to look at all of Franklin's photos!

We love 'Ohana too. It's just so good, and I adore the feel of the Poly. It's definitely a resort on the 'must list' for me.

And I sometimes have to ask Franklin to stop playing Angry Birds to go edit more photos.

The Poly is beautiful! And now that the rooms are being refurbed, we might have to put it on to-try list. The grounds are so lush and gorgeous, it's definitely a resort that screams "vacation.".
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #334
Shazzasmd
Mouseketeer

Great updates! The Hallowishes Finale Photo is perfection
Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #335
Upon a Star
Mouseketeer

Great report so far missy. We love October trips too. I'd love to hear more about when you stayed at windsor hills also. We've thought about buying a little condo there as were a large family. We have the same split coming up this summer AKV / BCV then in October well be at BLT our first trip home.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #336
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

Quote:

The Poly. Beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post

I realized I never told you guys what Franklin did differently for these fireworks pics. He changed lenses for the finale shot. That's why he kept watching the YouTube videos over and over again, so he could know what to listen for before the finale changeover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzasmd View Post
The piano is one of my favorite shots. While we were relaxing at GF, I made Missy pull up a youtube of Hallowishes. I have shot Wishes from Poly Beach before, but Hallowishes has the wider perimeter fireworks. I wasn't sure when or how wide they would be. So, after thorough research, I decieded I needed to change lenses and when to do it. All this sounded easy enough in the comfort of the GF lobby. But on Poly Beach, it was dark. If I dropped a lens, it would be in the sand. And don't forget that Lapu Lapu earlier too. In the end, it all worked out and we have amazing photos to share with you all. Thanks for the

Oh! I also took video at the same time, with our smaller camera. I'll edit it and post it up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post

Trip Reports: I Can Spot Frozen Fireworks Anywhere! 08/2014 ; All You Need is The Force, Trust and Pixie Dust! 05/2014
Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #337
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

You are so nice to share these fantastic photos. I plan to show them to my friends this weekend. They are going with us in November for their first ever trip to Disney. It is going to be so much fun to share the magic with another family. I am so excited about it!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #338
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Stunning fireworks photos! We have never watched the fireworks from the Poly beach, but it has always been on my radar as something to try. Looking forward to Franklin's video!

I am the same way about the GF. It's a GORGEOUS resort, but I've never really felt like if I was going to stay at a deluxe that I would stay there. But it is one we enjoy visiting just to enjoy the atmosphere, especially when it is decorated for Christmas!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #339
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think this resort is absolutely gorgeous, but I’ve never felt a pull to stay there. It just isn’t our vibe. But it is always a must-visit place during our trips.
I have also never felt a pull to stay there, same reason. It is certainly beautiful though!
Fireworks from the Poly beach have been on my to do list for a while now. I keep saying that but never get around to it. Maybe next time!
Phenomenal fireworks pictures, as always. I sometimes like seeing them from further away, it's less overwhelming and you can take it all in a little easier.
Your meal (especially dessert!) looks yummy!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #340
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzasmd View Post
You forget how wide Disney makes its fireworks finales until you're away from the park. Franklin really captured that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upon a Star View Post
Great report so far missy. We love October trips too. I'd love to hear more about when you stayed at windsor hills also. We've thought about buying a little condo there as were a large family. We have the same split coming up this summer AKV / BCV then in October well be at BLT our first trip home.

You will love the BCV/AKV split. It is the perfect combo of staying in the action and then away from it all.

We have our first stay at BLT coming up in about a month, and I can't wait. I love the Contemporary and can't wait to take our first trip to our other home resort.

We loved our stay at Windsor Hills (it's the 3/12 trip link in my signature below). A little background on that trip...

Franklin and I were planning an extended family trip with Franklin's mom, his sister and brother-in-law and their little boy Tanner, whose first birthday was the reason for the trip.

I priced out lots of options (two value rooms, renting DVC points, a discounted deluxe room and rental condos/townhouses). And at the end of the day, none of the onsite options could compete (price-wise or space-wise) to the Windsor Hills townhouse.

The cost ended up being about what one value room would have cost for the week. And everyone would have a separate bedroom. There was a living room for lounging and a splash pool on the screened-in back patio for cooling off. And having a kitchen for breakfasts and snacks was really handy (and helped save our wallets a bit).

Windsor Hills is minutes from the Disney gates. It never took us more than 10 or 15 minutes to go from the house to being parked in the parks' lots. Just remember to budget the daily parking fee at the parks ($14, I think, we have annual passes so our parking was free).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I know a lot of people on these boards take the "onsite or nothing" approach to accommodations, but sometimes the offsite option just might fit your family or trip better.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #341
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfanforlife View Post
You are so nice to share these fantastic photos. I plan to show them to my friends this weekend. They are going with us in November for their first ever trip to Disney. It is going to be so much fun to share the magic with another family. I am so excited about it!
I'm glad we could help you get excited about your trip! We're taking friends in May, it should be LOTS of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Stunning fireworks photos! We have never watched the fireworks from the Poly beach, but it has always been on my radar as something to try. Looking forward to Franklin's video!

I am the same way about the GF. It's a GORGEOUS resort, but I've never really felt like if I was going to stay at a deluxe that I would stay there. But it is one we enjoy visiting just to enjoy the atmosphere, especially when it is decorated for Christmas!
Poly beach is a great place to watch the fireworks from. My favorite "outside of the park" view remains the Contemporary. I just prefer the castle to be bigger, though the fireworks are off-center from that view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
I have also never felt a pull to stay there, same reason. It is certainly beautiful though!
Fireworks from the Poly beach have been on my to do list for a while now. I keep saying that but never get around to it. Maybe next time!
Phenomenal fireworks pictures, as always. I sometimes like seeing them from further away, it's less overwhelming and you can take it all in a little easier.
Your meal (especially dessert!) looks yummy!
It seems GF and CR can be two of the more polarizing resorts among Disney fans. I'm not a fan of of the whole Victorian vibe at GF when it comes to where I want to stay. But the dining is to die for and the lobby is stunning. On the other hand, I love the modern decor (that many people hate) at CR. And I love how many different places you can see Cinderella's Castle from the tower. Now THAT'S Disney enough for me!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #342
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post

Oh! I also took video at the same time, with our smaller camera. I'll edit it and post it up soon.
OK, I am very hesistant to post one of my point & shoot photos on your report, but when I saw your picture of the finale and you made the comment about about videotaping it too, I just couldn't resist.

The only time I have watched the MK fireworks was Nightastic from the Poly Beach. I was solo because my guys went back to the resort after our dinner at Ohana.

I took this picture of the ending.

And some idiot got into the way while videotaping the showand ruined my shot .

Oh. Wait. That's my hand.

Last edited by natebenma; 03-28-2013 at 05:36 PM.
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #343
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK, I am very hesistant to post one of my point & shoot photos on your report, but when I saw your picture of the finale and you made the comment about about videotaping it too, I just couldn't resist.

The only time I have watched the MK fireworks was Nightastic from the Poly Beach. I was solo because my guys went back to the resort after our dinner at Ohana.

I took this picture of the ending.

And some idiot got into the way while videotaping the showand ruined my shot .

Oh. Wait. That's my hand.

Hahahaha. I hope you took that person to task for ruining your shot. No Dole Whip for you after those fireworks!

I'll have to make sure to take a picture of Franklin's photo/video setup for fireworks because it's pretty cool. He has this think that screws onto the top of his big camera and the point and shoot sits on it to take the video. He's got lots of tricks up his sleeve!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #344
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

An Animal of a Morning -- Part 1

We last left off with the perfect monorail resort evening: shopping at Grand Floridian, Hallowishes from the Poly beach and dinner at ‘Ohana. We were up bright and early the next morning because we had places to be. Namely, Animal Kingdom Lodge, it was time for us to check in. We piled all our bags into a cab and took off for our new resort.

We’d visited AKL once before and were blown away. We couldn’t wait to explore every nook and crany.

I went and checked in while Franklin happily snapped away.

It was too early in the day for our room to be ready, so we stashed our stuff with bell services. We took the shortcut through the shop...

… to the bus stop. Where were we headed?

Animal Kingdom!

We had one thing on our minds, Expedition Everest.

You see, over the past handful of trips I’d made serious thrill-ride progress. I’d conquered my fear of Space Mountain and Rock-N-Roller Coaster. And I had set my sights on Everest on this trip. But here’s the thing, Franklin had sworn up and down that there were no big drops. I was ready to take on the mountain until I walked up and saw the first car drop out of the side.

Um, hold on. I thought he said there were NO big drops and that drop looks pretty ginormous to me. So I stood there and stomped my feet like a 6-year-old refusing to budge. Franklin spent the next 20 minutes trying to explain that it wasn’t a big drop, it was more like a big, downward curve. I must have had a moment of weakness because the next thing I knew, we were heading for the queue.

I’d never been through this queue and was really impressed with all the details. Well at least I would have been if I wasn’t so terrified. Soon, much too soon actually, we were at the load area. Who’s ready for their first Everest ride?

Um, yeah, not me. But off we went anyway.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #345
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Oh no! What happened to the track?

I guess this is the closest we’ll get to a functioning Yeti these days.

How did it go? Well you tell me after looking at this hideous ride photo.

Yep, I conquered Everest and lived to tell the tale! Since Everest had been Franklin’s choice attraction, I got to pick where we’d go next and it was somewhere very exciting. Festival of the Lion King!

So we left Asia and headed toward Africa, and we ran into an old friend along the way... DeVine!

We’d never seen FotLK before and with rumors swirling that the show might be shut down temporarily because of Avatarland construction, I made this a must-do on this trip. And I’m so glad we did, it was even better than advertised!

The colors, the music, the dancing and the acrobatics were all breathtaking. I’m so glad I finally saw the show and I’m even more glad Disney found a way to keep the show open during construction so we can go see it again!

We were hungry, so we wandered up toward the front of the park. But before lunch, we stopped and got some Photopass photos taken.

Back to our regularly scheduled food porn. We tried a new restaurant, well new to us anyway. Flame Tree Barbecue. And the dopes we are, we totally forgot until hours afterward FTB takes our Tables in Wonderland card. Discount fail. But the food was so good we didn’t really care.

Franklin had the pulled pork sandwich...

… and I had the ribs...

… and we shared a batch of onion rings.

Everything was finger-licking good. Easily one of the best CS meals we’ve had at Disney. As we finished up lunch, we noticed there was practically no line at the meet and greet across the way. We had to join because it was the characters from our favorite movie, Up.

Paws up everyone!

Squirrel.

After having so much fun with Russell and Dug, it was time for us to depart. It was time to move into our new room.

For those of you who know the layout of AKL well, our villa was in the second-to-last “bead,” which meant a fairly long walk, but really good animal watching in return.

Our villa was gorgeous and immaculate.

And how was the savannah view? Oh, you know, just your average giraffe hangout.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: