Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Elisa
momtwo2

Question about room safes

Can anyone give me some advice on how to protect my lap top while on our Disney trip this summer. It's a 13" mac book pro and I doubt one of the small safes will work. We're not sure yet where we'll stay but were thinking of CBR or one of the Values. Do all of the hotels have safes for larger items, at the front desk? It's a common practice for the maids to open several doors at a time and clean all at once and I don't want to risk something getting stolen. What do you think?
'06 Sept Pop ( Big surprise for kids )
'07 Sept ASMu ( Free Dining AGAIN )
'10 Aug CBR Free Dining ( Kids 1st time at a Mod) and Universal Studios
'13 Aug CBR ( to capture the last of my children's youth as they're growing too fast!!!!)
Elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I've found my MBP to fit in just about any of the hotel safes I've encountered.

I've never seen any of the Disney mouskeepers open all the rooms at once to clean them. They always seem to work on one room (with the cart right outside) and complete everything in there before moving on to the next room.
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
macnodos
DIS FAN

In many trips I have just left my laptop out along with my camera and it was perfectly fine. The only thing fitting in their safes are jewelry, cash, or CC's.
macnodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnodos View Post
In many trips I have just left my laptop out along with my camera and it was perfectly fine. The only thing fitting in their safes are jewelry, cash, or CC's.
Same here. Our laptop is about 17 inches and can't fit into a safe but it doesn't matter. We just leave it out with a newspaper on top and never had a problem. Not at Disney World nor anywhere else.

I know I'll be told that's not wise but I'm not going to live my life in fear of a slight chance something will happen.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

This topic surfaces at fairly regular intervals, and in all of the threads I have never read of a case of a laptop being stolen from a guest room. Most of the posts reported that they either left them out in plain view, put them in a drawer or hid them in a suitcase. If you were very cautious, you could use a cable lock to secure it to the table. And if you were very, very ,very nervous- I believe that all of the front desks have a safe they could hold your computer in. Although I would think it would be a royal pain to have to go to the front desk multiple times per day.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
dvcHammer
Drinking at Disney

Just to pile on here, I have always just left my laptop out in the room without a worry and have had no issues in multiple trips. The safe would fit a small to regular sized one, but the larger ones can be too big.
If I was worried I would put it in a suitcase to keep it out of sight - but I do not worry about it.
64 visits so far.
Been there, done that, going back again!
http://www.drinkingatdisney.com/
dvcHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
missx0xdelaney
Mouseketeer

I have a 10" netbook I use most often. I've brought it on two trips and left it right on the table and it was fine. To be clear though, even that small of a computer did not fit in the safe.

Find me on Instagram and Twitter!: @missx0xdelaney
Countdown to Cupcakes! - An Independence Day Road Trip!
missx0xdelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
Can anyone give me some advice on how to protect my lap top while on our Disney trip this summer. It's a 13" mac book pro and I doubt one of the small safes will work. We're not sure yet where we'll stay but were thinking of CBR or one of the Values. Do all of the hotels have safes for larger items, at the front desk? It's a common practice for the maids to open several doors at a time and clean all at once and I don't want to risk something getting stolen. What do you think?
We've never had an issue with our laptops not fitting in the safes at Disney. We had 2 laptops (15 in.), 2 gameboys, an ipod touch and extra camera in our safe the last time we were there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: