Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #31
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobright View Post
This may approach the line of TMI and for that I apologize, but we are cementing out plans for a return to wdw and I'm getting a little anxious about a problem I kind of expect to have with the resort.

I experience night-terrors most nights and the resulting noise can be very traumatic for people in a 50 to 100' radius. This happened one night last year during our stay at POR out of a 6 night vacation but we are staying 9 nights this time and I'm really dreading this.

Would it be wise to let the resort staff know that this might occur? Can I hope to find a room on the end of a building?

I do usually bring it up upon check in but they rarely take me seriously. As it happens (I'm told this) I often do quite a bit of screaming; even worse, I make exclamations in several different voices and even speak in different languages. I don't mean I'm possessed, they are languages I personally know. Be that as it may, wild and terrified screaming in Japanese, Urdu, Korean, Bengali, and/or English (of course) can be quite upsetting to someone who is not expecting it.

I'm thinking of bringing a recording of a particularly shrill 'event' to convey the complexity of the situation to the Cast Member at check in. Or should I try to make the resort aware of this before we arrive?

I really don't know how much accommodation I can expect but it would be really nice to make it through the week without the police showing up. That was a real bummer.
And that's enough internet for me for one day..
Old 03-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #32
julluvsdisney
"A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
It sounds as if he has tried that in the past, and it hasn't worked. Even if he has a corner room, there will most likely be people next to and under their room. It may be impossible to give someone that large of a buffer zone for the duration of their trip too. Nine nights is a long time to expect Disney to keep other guests out of the rooms near yours.

Remember too that you don't actually call the front desk from your room, you call the call center. So by the time the word gets to the resort, the police could be on their way.
I don't think anyone should have to miss out on staying onsite because they are unfortunate enough to be inflicted with a medical condition. Honestly all OP should be expected to do is take steps to try to prevent an episode. Many people are unfortunate enough to have to deal with this. They shouldn't be discriminated against. If I was woken up a few times on my vacation I wouldn't be mad I would feel sorry for the other person. This is something they are dealing with on a regular basis!

Mouseketeers-ME, DH, DS, DS
WDW TRIPS*1994 ASMu* 2007 Disneymoon POFQ* 2009 POP*2010 POP*2011 POP* 2012 POR* 2013 POR*2014 POR RR*2014 POR *2015 VGF*
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #33
EmilyJ517
Mouseketeer

When the OP said that this was 'TMI' I can't possibly be the only one that thought this was going in a completely different direction.

Our next trip: A LAND and SEA Adventure!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #34
TheShea's
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagicWoman View Post
It is only one night out of six. I've had screaming infants wake me up more nights than that.
Read the OP first post again. This happens most nights and can be heard for a 50-100' radius. Hardly the same thing as a crying baby.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #35
patty57
DIS Veteran

What is TMI?

Last edited by patty57; 03-27-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: got rid of the quote which I messed up
Old 03-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #36
mamaloya
Blows hard and hot and boils us
I am easily entertained

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyJ517 View Post
When the OP said that this was 'TMI' I can't possibly be the only one that thought this was going in a completely different direction.
I totally did!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
What is TMI?
Too Much Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShea's View Post
Read the OP first post again. This happens most nights and can be heard for a 50-100' radius. Hardly the same thing as a crying baby.
I believe she said it happened one out of 6 nights on her last trip, not most nights.

This is a horrible predicament to be in. On the one hand, if I were a witness to it, I would feel sympathy. However, I would be aggravated about missed sleep as well. Really tough situation.

THV sounds like a great idea, if you can afford it. It would be relaxing and you would not be stressed about bothering others, which can incite night terrors.

You may call Disney and ask them what they recommend. This is a valid special needs situation and they may have suggestions that we have not thought of.

Good luck!!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #37
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaloya View Post
I totally did!!!

Too Much Information

I believe she said it happened one out of 6 nights on her last trip, not most nights.

This is a horrible predicament to be in. On the one hand, if I were a witness to it, I would feel sympathy. However, I would be aggravated about missed sleep as well. Really tough situation.

THV sounds like a great idea, if you can afford it. It would be relaxing and you would not be stressed about bothering others, which can incite night terrors.

You may call Disney and ask them what they recommend. This is a valid special needs situation and they may have suggestions that we have not thought of.

Good luck!!
He/she said it happens most nights but only happened once during his/her last trip.

Quote:
I experience night-terrors most nights and the resulting noise can be very traumatic for people in a 50 to 100' radius. This happened one night last year during our stay at POR out of a 6 night vacation but we are staying 9 nights this time and I'm really dreading this.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #38
Astylla
Disney Fanatic

As an adult who suffers from possible PTSD and night terrors , I want to first say I completely ephathize with your situation and though some others have had less than favorable responses I truly admire you for being so honest.
*hugs*

Though mine are not often as severe..it is a very real condition that medication cannot fix in some , nor should it need to resort to that.

I feel you have the right to enjoy your vacation just as much as anyone else and by seeking advice and looking ahead are actively trying to make those around you more comfortable is to be respected. I would call the hotel directly and ask to speak to a manager to document your requests and concerns. Perhaps they can accomodate a corner room as mentioned or if you decide to stay off site to be more comfortable for you perhaps they can offer some assistance.

Quite frankly I don't have children by choice and though I have often been disturbed by them , NEVER would I complain just because I don't like it. It's a part of staying somewhere public. And I personally would not want to feel singled out because of something completely out of my control.

I wish you nothing but a wonderful vacation
Old 03-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #39
Mickfarland4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Me too!! dirty minds anyone??
Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #40
njsmama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Just by reading the title line, I did too, lol! I wish that were the concern...I hate that the OP has this medical condition that interferes with his/her sleep. I would imagine that would really tire a person out.

OP, I would definitely let the front desk know upon check in....describe it to them exactly how you described it to us. Maybe they can find you a room in a building that isn't as full as another. I hope you have a magical vacation with good dreams only!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #41
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by julluvsdisney View Post
I don't think anyone should have to miss out on staying onsite because they are unfortunate enough to be inflicted with a medical condition. Honestly all OP should be expected to do is take steps to try to prevent an episode.
I agree with you! But the OP has stated that in the past they notified the front desk, and were not given much help. The best thing is for them to take the steps that they can--such as booking Wilderness Cabin, to help ease their own mind, as well as to not end up irritating other guests who may be trying to sleep a few feet away.

The OP needs to do what they can. Unfortunately it is not practical to expect Disney to leave rooms empty around them as a buffer zone. And depending on the time of year may not be at all possible.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #42
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobright View Post
This may approach the line of TMI and for that I apologize, but we are cementing out plans for a return to wdw and I'm getting a little anxious about a problem I kind of expect to have with the resort.

Would it be wise to let the resort staff know that this might occur? Can I hope to find a room on the end of a building?

I do usually bring it up upon check in but they rarely take me seriously. As it happens (I'm told this) I often do quite a bit of screaming; even worse, I make exclamations in several different voices and even speak in different languages. I don't mean I'm possessed, they are languages I personally know. Be that as it may, wild and terrified screaming in Japanese, Urdu, Korean, Bengali, and/or English (of course) can be quite upsetting to someone who is not expecting it.

I'm thinking of bringing a recording of a particularly shrill 'event' to convey the complexity of the situation to the Cast Member at check in. Or should I try to make the resort aware of this before we arrive?

I really don't know how much accommodation I can expect but it would be really nice to make it through the week without the police showing up. That was a real bummer.
Sounds like something along the lines of Tourette's which my husband's former co-worker had. My husband would be sitting at his desk and all of a sudden here "ribbit" or "gork" or whatever. Not under his control.

Now, if I were in the room next to you, I would appreciate you personally coming over to me, introducing yourself and explaining your condition. And if I'm not there when you needed to do that, call and leave a message on my room phone. Talk to me. Don't leave it up to Disney to do the "dirty work". Be a human being like I should be. We can work it out. I would know what you are going through, you would know what I would be going through. Simple.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #43
spidet1964
Mouseketeer

I used to live with a boyfriend who has these, his dr had him on Xanax which did help. I definately would go with stand alone accomodations. What was not in the op's original post was if theirs are violent or not. I actually ended up stabbed (only in the hand) and the police called during one. I'm not trying to be rude and by all accounts feel everyone should be entitled to a nice vacation. I do however feel that people need to try their best to handle their conditions and if they pose a threat to other people maybe somewhere quieter and less populated would be better.

]
Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #44
julluvsdisney
"A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I agree with you! But the OP has stated that in the past they notified the front desk, and were not given much help. The best thing is for them to take the steps that they can--such as booking Wilderness Cabin, to help ease their own mind, as well as to not end up irritating other guests who may be trying to sleep a few feet away.

The OP needs to do what they can. Unfortunately it is not practical to expect Disney to leave rooms empty around them as a buffer zone. And depending on the time of year may not be at all possible.
I don't think Disney should provide a buffer zone if its a busy time they are first and foremost a business. I do think the OP may benefit from letting everyone that may be involved ahead of time what the issue may be. Just because last time it didn't help doesn't mean this time it won't. This is a medical condition that no one can control. I don't think that means that they HAVE to stay in a secluded room. Its unfortunate that people have a hard time having compassionate on others regardless of the severity of the medical condition.

OP I hope you are able to have a stress free vacation!

Mouseketeers-ME, DH, DS, DS
WDW TRIPS*1994 ASMu* 2007 Disneymoon POFQ* 2009 POP*2010 POP*2011 POP* 2012 POR* 2013 POR*2014 POR RR*2014 POR *2015 VGF*
Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #45
Cobern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post

and that's enough internet for me for one day..
love this^^^^^^^
May 2014 - Coronado Springs
May 2014 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge Studio
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: