Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #2056
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

I'd say the only thing we weren't happy about at our stay at the Dolphin in 2011 was the valet service. They were incredibly busy so when or Town car arrived we had to wait at least a half hour to even get close enough hit to unload it. We had to find and get our cart, which we were find with, and I don't remember them ever asking if we needed any help, although they could have asked someone else in our party. Check in also seemed to take a long time because they were so busy and their computers we're acting up.

We also had a issue when we were waiting for our town car to take us to the airport. We had already checked out and had the valet holding our luggage for us. We returned a little early from HS because we needed to get a change of cloths for one of the kids, so we had all of our bags in a cart in the main lobby. One of the valets told us that we couldn't have the cart in the lobby while we waited, which was fine, but he asked it in a rude and condo sending way! It also probably didn't help that I was starting to come down with the worst cold I've had in years.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #2057
vicb
DIS Veteran

We are planning/hoping to stay at Dolphin the first week of May 2014 (so a little more than a year away). When can I expect to see deals on rooms on the S/D website? Right now the rates are higher than I paid for Easter week 2012. That trip was planned much closer to when the actual trip was and the lower rates were already posted.

This trip will be to celebrate DD's college graduation so we are very excited!! Have never been in May. Stayed just once at Dolphin and the "kids" were not with us so they have never stayed but I know they will love it.

Thanks for any tips on when to look for room rate deals>

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #2058
patty57
DIS Veteran

Increase in S/D resort fee

Just saw on the All Ears Newsletter that the S/D resort fee is increasing on April 1st to $17 plus tax. Resort fee includes gym, internet, phone service and two bottles of water. I would prefer that we have an option to pay for the services if we use them instead of it being a mandatory fee.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #2059
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
Just saw on the All Ears Newsletter that the S/D resort fee is increasing on April 1st to $17 plus tax. Resort fee includes gym, internet, phone service and two bottles of water. I would prefer that we have an option to pay for the services if we use them instead of it being a mandatory fee.
First of all, even though I know its the beginning of a month, why would anyone start or announce something on April fools Day? I also wonder if people who booked before, but their stay is after April 1st are grandfathered into the $14 fee? And my final question is there a reason why the resort fee is a separate fee as opposed to just having it included into the room fee?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #2060
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
First of all, even though I know its the beginning of a month, why would anyone start or announce something on April fools Day? I also wonder if people who booked before, but their stay is after April 1st are grandfathered into the $14 fee? And my final question is there a reason why the resort fee is a separate fee as opposed to just having it included into the room fee?
Not sure about the April 1 date, but your existing reservation is safe -- they honor the rate you were quoted when your made your reservation, which is $14; no worries there.

I have no idea why they have chosen to have a "mandatory resort fee" as opposed to rolling it into the room rate. They brought the resort fee back several years ago at $10, then upped it to $12, then $14 and now I guess it will be $17.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #2061
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post

Not sure about the April 1 date, but your existing reservation is safe -- they honor the rate you were quoted when your made your reservation, which is $14; no worries there.

I have no idea why they have chosen to have a "mandatory resort fee" as opposed to rolling it into the room rate. They brought the resort fee back several years ago at $10, then upped it to $12, then $14 and now I guess it will be $17.
And there is a parking fee too correct? I may have to run some numbers and switch over to POFQ if a decent room discount comes out.

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
Old 03-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #2062
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
And there is a parking fee too correct? I may have to run some numbers and switch over to POFQ if a decent room discount comes out.
Yes, there is a parking fee. I think it's $15 or $16 +tax? Not sure since I don't bring a car there!

Old 03-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #2063
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
And my final question is there a reason why the resort fee is a separate fee as opposed to just having it included into the room fee?
Who knows why they opt to do it this way. Personally, I would prefer it if they rolled the resort fee into the room price because I don't use the amenities they charge for...except maybe the water. As long as the rooms continue to be a good price with discounts that work for me, I'll continue to book there.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #2064
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
Parking is $15, $20 for valet, both plus tax.

http://www.swandolphin.com/feedback/transportation.html

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 03-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #2065
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Parking is $15, $20 for valet, both plus tax.

http://www.swandolphin.com/feedback/transportation.html
Thanks Dan! I thought $15+tax, but wasn't sure! I wonder if that will be going up soon too?

Old 03-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #2066
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Resort Fees

Its simple marketing that leads them to have a separate resort fee. It makes the room rate look lower on first impression when you do a general search at all hotels in the area. Only once you look closer do you notice the extra fee.

In the Swolphin's defense, they are not the only hotels that do this.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #2067
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Its simple marketing that leads them to have a separate resort fee. It makes the room rate look lower on first impression when you do a general search at all hotels in the area. Only once you look closer do you notice the extra fee.

In the Swolphin's defense, they are not the only hotels that do this.
This is absolutely true that many hotels charge a resort fee. People on the DIS who refuse to stay at the S/D often cite the resort fee as the reason they won't book there. Of course, the WDW resorts are doing the same thing, but they are rolling the fees into the room price. It's difficult to know whether it's a good marketing strategy or not. They must feel it works for them, or they wouldn't do it.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #2068
Dan Murphy
We are family.

I just returned from a Las Vegas business trip a couple months ago, stayed at the Monte Carlo. $20 per day fee.

Others higher.

http://www.lasvegasdirect.com/las-ve...sort-fees.html

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 03-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #2069
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post

This is absolutely true that many hotels charge a resort fee. People on the DIS who refuse to stay at the S/D often cite the resort fee as the reason they won't book there. Of course, the WDW resorts are doing the same thing, but they are rolling the fees into the room price. It's difficult to know whether it's a good marketing strategy or not. They must feel it works for them, or they wouldn't do it.
Right, Patty. Six of one, half dozen of another. They could up the room rate to include it, but choose not to.

Everyone has to do what is best for their family, but I have stayed at Port Orleans, and the Dolphin is so much nicer! The vibe is so "deluxe" and the location is fabulous.

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #2070
catiesmom
Earning My Ears

I know this has been asked but I've found conflicting info on this thread....anyone recently been able to have a Garden Grocer delivery accepted at the Swan? Thanks!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: