Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you do with passport while out at port?
Take passport out to port 34 28.33%
Leave passport in stateroom safe 86 71.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #46
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
It depends on which ports. For Caribbean cruises where we're fairly close to the port, no. For our Med cruise the port city is just where we enter the country & our destination is an hour drive inland, I'd rather have it. I agree with OrangeCountyCommuter to carry it in a money belt. Should be easy when it's not a beach/swimming excursion.

It was so easy to carry our passports under our clothes in the Baltic plus it eased my anxiety so much to have them with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesthecircusfreak View Post
I've read somewhere else on the forums that if you leave your passport with Guest Services at the beginning of the trip, they'll stamp it at every port for you? Is this true?
We tried that on our PC Repo cruise back in 2008 and it didn't work. We left our passports at guest services with requests to get them stamped in each port and at the end of the cruise they just said sorry they couldn't do it. Wish I had known that in advance because I would have taken care of it myself
Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #47
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

I carry it with me (except when we stop at private islands where basically you can't miss the ship because they won't leave you there).

If something were to happen to me, I'd want the security of knowing that I had my passport and a fresh credit card (I keep one for emergencies with a zero balance) on me to get home.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #48
holula
DIS Veteran

Unless we are at CC, our passports always come off the ship with us. If there is any kind of emergency I feel safer having them with us. They always stay in a purse which zips so no one can put their hand in easily.

I have been mugged at knifepoint but they only wanted cash, not passports.
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!), 2014 Southern Caribbean
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #49
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holula View Post
Unless we are at CC, our passports always come off the ship with us. If there is any kind of emergency I feel safer having them with us. They always stay in a purse which zips so no one can put their hand in easily.

I have been mugged at knifepoint but they only wanted cash, not passports.

Until you loose the entire purse.

Honestly, a purse is NOT the 'secure' vault folks want it to be (even if you get freaked out and by one of those purses that advertises it that way)

A money belt is SO SO much safer!

Strap in on your body and forget about it...

The chaperone on my Girl Scout trip to Europe who lost 10,000 in traveler's checks.... they were in a zipped purse. But they were GONE along with a credit card and her personal traveler's checks and she never even noticed. Who knows what happened.....
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #50
holula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post

Honestly, a purse is NOT the 'secure' vault folks want it to be (even if you get freaked out and by one of those purses that advertises it that way)

The chaperone on my Girl Scout trip to Europe who lost 10,000 in traveler's checks.... they were in a zipped purse. But they were GONE along with a credit card and her personal traveler's checks and she never even noticed. Who knows what happened.....
I have travelled around the world and apart from in Brazil, never had any issues. There are so many way to ensure your purse isn't "lost" - when you sit down to eat make sure a handle is wrapped around your leg/chair leg, always have a hand on it when on a crowded train. Apart from in Brazil, never had an issue. Never lost my passport either.
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!), 2014 Southern Caribbean
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #51
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I have travelled around the world and apart from in Brazil, never had any issues. There are so many way to ensure your purse isn't "lost" - when you sit down to eat make sure a handle is wrapped around your leg/chair leg, always have a hand on it when on a crowded train. Apart from in Brazil, never had an issue. Never lost my passport either.
You've been very lucky. That's fantastic.

A professional thief will take your purse or what's in it even if its sitting in your lap. A moments distraction is all that's needed. Mine was taken in a deserted park in Spain. We never even SAW anyone walk within 50 feet of us.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #52
HueyDeweyLouie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenni View Post
You've been very lucky. That's fantastic.

A professional thief will take your purse or what's in it even if its sitting in your lap. A moments distraction is all that's needed. Mine was taken in a deserted park in Spain. We never even SAW anyone walk within 50 feet of us.

I purchased these 2 Pacsafe products @ Amazon. Both have anti-theft features including eXomesh slashguards, slashproof shoulder straps, & zipper security (just to name a few):

I will be locking up my important belongings in the Travelsafe (portable safe) attached to a beach chair at the beach or attached to a secured fixture on the excursion boat.

Last edited by HueyDeweyLouie; 03-27-2013 at 08:24 PM.
HueyDeweyLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #53
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

We were in Cozumel a few years back and the in the elevator on our way up to our stateroom a woman was all upset because someone in a store at the port lifted her wallet and passports from her back pack.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: