Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
gcarney
Mouseketeer

June 2013 rental

I am a pretty seasoned Orlando traveler, but I think you can always learn something. I have rented from enterprise, hertz, thrifty and budget. I will NEVER use budget again. They screwed us (while on our honeymoon) and we paid DOUBLE for our car. What are your recommendations for the best rental company ON THE AIRPORT GROUNDS? We used Enterprise back in September. They were great and we had a choice of cars. What do YOU like? Who do YOU use? Thank you.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
rdsx28
Proud Member of Red Sox Nation!

So sorry to hear about your mishap. Certainly not the best way to start off your honeymoon for sure. I have never used Budget as I like to always go with what I know. We have used Hertz in the past with good service but now we always use either National or Alamo. The last few years it has been Alamo as their prices have always been much lower. The Emerald Isle is nice for National and it's free to join if you are not a member. You can rent a midsize and choose whatever is on that aisle which may be anything which is great. They both have the kiosks which makes check out no hassle at the airport and normally there are a ton of discount codes and coupons for each.
rdsx28 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
sisaaliyah
Mouseketeer

I prefer Alamo. Sign-up for the insiders program that combined with a Visa coupon you can generally find a great rate. I'd even pay a little more to go with Alamo. Last time we did have some trouble using the kiosk, but that was just because my husbands license was to worn to scan it. The lines for the counter were terribly long as everyone must prefer Alamo, but we were quickly greeted by Customer Service helping out at the kiosks and he called out to the garage and told them he would be sending us out thus we didn't have to wait in the long line at the counter. My husband was like there's no line at the car rental place next to Alamo (I think it was Payless), and I said there's a reason for that. This was in front of the Customer Service from Alamo.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
gcarney
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the input. Right now the National prices are three times the Thrifty prices, Alamo s crazy too. I've got a full sized reserved for $228 for 8 days....I guess it's more about the tie of yea maybe. As I thought June would still be quiet (School goes to the end of June here) I guess not. We even had to settle or a smaller room at our preferred resort.....
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
richmo
DIS Veteran

I generally use Alamo. While National's Emerald Aisle is probably the easiest rental, Alamo is pretty easy if you online checkin (wait until about the day before), then use the kiosk at MCO. No need to go to the rental counter. The other nice thing about Alamo is you pick your car out from a row of cars. It isn't assigned.

For June, assuming you're renting one of the common car classes, you're not going to see the best rates yet. I would get a non-binding reservation for whatever agency you choose, but do not pre-pay anything. You have to keep checking -- unfortunately, Alamo has a new website, so you should keep checking as a new rental (as opposed to modifying an existing rental). If rates go down, make the new reservation, then cancel the old one. Usually, but not always, the lowest rates seem to be about 7-14 days out from the start of your rental.

One more Alamo tip. To save a little time at MCO, if you have checked baggage: let the family wait for the luggage and you (assuming you're the one renting the car) go to the Alamo kiosk and complete the reservation, then they can either meet you at Alamo or you can go back to baggage with rental contract in hand. (If you do that, you'll need to take the elevator up to the baggage level, as far as I know, there isn't an escalator from car rental level to baggage)
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Alamo and Dollar. I like Alamo the best because you can go right to the vehicle. But if Dollar is more reasonable I will go with them. If your in their Express club, you go right to the kiosk in the garage and your rental assignment will be up on a board and you can basically go right to your car. If you don't like your car, they will usually let you choose another. So either of these two companies always do a great job at MCO.

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
gcarney
Mouseketeer

This is like the best game ever, I almost feel like I am stealing. Since last Tuesday when I started looking at cars the price has fallen drastically. The first day it was at $356 and that was Enterprise. Since then Thrifty and Enterprise have been neck and neck. As of today I am at $186 for 8 days in a full sized car through Thrifty. I don't see how it will get cheaper than that but, I have plenty of time to keep checking. Thank you all for your continued advice.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
gcarney
Mouseketeer

If anybody else is traveling then, Google enterprise 10% off entertainment book coupon. A full sized is $189. With thrifty, they work with AAA now. A full sized us $176. Just sharing the love . We will go with enterprise for a few dollars more. You pick your car from the row and spouses are authorized drivers for free.

Last edited by gcarney; 05-15-2013 at 09:07 AM.
gcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarney View Post
If anybody else is traveling then, google enterprise 10% off entertainment book coupon. A full sized is 189. With thrifty, they work with AAA now. A full sized us $176. Just sharing the love . We will go with enterprise for a few dollars more. You pick your car from the row and spouses are authorized drivers for free.
I don't know your exact dates, but I just checked on an 8 day rental through Alamo for early June and just logging in as an Insider Member [free to join, spouses authorized drivers for free] and a $30. e-coupon AD2338FDF [use VISA to pay] puts a standard car at $141. total. And you get to pick your car from the fullsize row as there is no standard row at the Orlando Airport.

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
gcarney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlduvall View Post
I don't know your exact dates, but I just checked on an 8 day rental through Alamo for early June and just logging in as an Insider Member [free to join, spouses authorized drivers for free] and a $30. e-coupon AD2338FDF [use VISA to pay] puts a standard car at $141. total. And you get to pick your car from the fullsize row as there is no standard row at the Orlando Airport.
THANK YOU! Alamo is a steal with that coupon and it said nothing about a VISA so that is a bigger bonus. I have it locked in. I really appreciate it!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
gcarney
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Because I know my husband will ask, is it a fact that they do not have standard sized cars at Alamo and that by renting one they do have to bump you to the full size? He will FREAK out of its not a full size. I have both locked in for now, but will cancel one obviously, LOL

THANK YOU.

(Even at a full size its a $30 savings, I'd rather the $40 savings thought )
Old 05-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
rlduvall

Quote:
Because I know my husband will ask, is it a fact that they do not have standard sized cars at Alamo and that by renting one they do have to bump you to the full size? He will FREAK out of its not a full size. I have both locked in for now, but will cancel one obviously, LOL

THANK YOU.

(Even at a full size its a $30 savings, I'd rather the $40 savings thought )
This is the way it has been explained to me . . . Alamo has standard size vehicles at the airport, but they do not have a standard size row to choose from - you go to the fullsize row. There should be fullsize cars to choose from on this row, as well as standard size cars. I guess there could be a chance every single fullsize vehicle has been taken, but I have never heard of that being the case.

To reserve a fullsize vehicle for the timeframe I told you it is only $2. more. Do that instead. That way, if for some off chance there are no fullsize cars on the fullsize row, you would go to an Alamo attendant in the garage, explain your dilemma . . . and either they will find you a fullsize or probably upgrade you, if possible.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
gcarney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
This is the way it has been explained to me . . . Alamo has standard size vehicles at the airport, but they do not have a standard size row to choose from - you go to the fullsize row. There should be fullsize cars to choose from on this row, as well as standard size cars. I guess there could be a chance every single fullsize vehicle has been taken, but I have never heard of that being the case.

To reserve a fullsize vehicle for the timeframe I told you it is only $2. more. Do that instead. That way, if for some off chance there are no fullsize cars on the fullsize row, you would go to an Alamo attendant in the garage, explain your dilemma . . . and either they will find you a fullsize or probably upgrade you, if possible.
Okay that settles it. You rock! I have the full size reserved, will go with that. As you said, worst case scenario we get an upgrade. Again, thank you for the tip and coupon code that is a HUGE bonus savings!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
rlduvall

Quote:
Okay that settles it. You rock! I have the full size reserved, will go with that. As you said, worst case scenario we get an upgrade. Again, thank you for the tip and coupon code that is a HUGE bonus savings!
I'm so glad I could help! And keep watching Alamo rates - they could go down even lower.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
gcarney
Mouseketeer

I watch the rates daily. I sent myself the coupon code so I have it for quick reference. I have been watching Thrifty and Enterprise for weeks now and now Alamo is the dark horse surprise!

I've already gotten our round trip flight from Boston to Orlando down to $215 for the both of us using credits and points on JetBlue. We have a $50 credit from this flight as the departing flight went from $140 to $90 and the return flight is $104. Now the car is at $160. I don't think we have ever done Disney this cheap

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: