Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
First cruise is 5-night San Diego to Vancouver and then
9-night Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver
May '13 is LA to Vancouver. May '14 is San Diego to Vancouver.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #17
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark View Post
May '13 is LA to Vancouver. May '14 is San Diego to Vancouver.
Yes, we are May 2014, San Diego to Vancouver.
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #18
Himmin
Mouseketeer

Hey we are on this b2b cruise too!! Hope they do offer wil kind of trip if it is a nightmare!
Himmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himmin View Post
Hey we are on this b2b cruise too!! Hope they do offer wil kind of trip if it is a nightmare!
I know, it was your post on our Meets thread that inspired me to check it out. It will be far easier for me to fly into San Diego over the weekend and board on Monday than it will be to fly to Seattle/then get to Vancouver/to board on Saturday. That's some rationale, isn't it.

But I had images of how easy it was to do the B2B in Florida, and I don't know that this is going to be the case in Vancouver.

Updated June 30, 2014. Little did I know when I wrote this back in February that it was going to be such a pain to find a descent hotel in San Diego at a reasonable rate. I am finding either fully booked already for May 2014 (university graduations and conventions) or sticker shock prices for me.

Last edited by RweTHEREyet; 06-30-2013 at 10:05 AM.
RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #20
clten
DIS Veteran

Other than the customs wait, the b2b was the same as in other ports -- you can leave your stuff in the room (same cabin on each leg is a must for us) or on the ship if you are moving cabins and have the cabin steward move it. You only have to take off your customs things, boarding paperwork and anything else you are going to need for a couple of hours.

It wasn't exactly a nightmare -- it was just not a smooth process and DCL didn't help because it was their first trip into Vancouver and the people who were leading the crowd were completely clueless. (If it was that bad, we would not be doing it again this year.)

Now as far as b2b's, these usually get quite a crowd since they are very different cruises and are great ones to combine. So we were also delayed just by the #'s of people lining up waiting for US customs to open. And we were able to get back on the ship before the new cruisers but just barely (I think it was less than 1/2 hr before the new cruisers started arriving.) So you do lose out on a lot of perks of a b2b.

That's why I am looking forward to touring around Vancouver rather than waiting around to get back on board.

For whoever asked, you always have the option when sailing b2b not to reboard right away and leaving the terminal to explore. I know if you do this on your own, you are just like the new cruisers -- have to check in and be on board by the time required. If you do a DCL excursion, I don't know if they handle the recheck in before you leave for the tour so you can just walk back on board when the excursion is done. I guess I'll find out in May -- if they offer Vancouver excursions to us b2b'ers.
clten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
RweTHEREyet

clten, thanks for sharing your experience. Maybe it will be better organized by the time May 2014 rolls around.

I will be interested in hearing how it goes for you this year, you did say you were sailing May 2013, correct?
Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #22
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
clten, thanks for sharing your experience. Maybe it will be better organized by the time May 2014 rolls around.

I will be interested in hearing how it goes for you this year, you did say you were sailing May 2013, correct?
Yes, we are doing it again this year. I will certainly report back here if they've learned some things and it was any smoother and if they had any excursions just to pass the time.
clten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #23
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post

If you are talking about taking the west coast cruise from San Diego or LA to Vancouver and then do a cruise to Alaska from Vancouver, I remember people who were booked to do those as B2B last year being notified they could not do so and had to choose which cruise they wanted to take. There are custom rules involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

That was only for the 2011 season. The B2B that year started in LA and ended in Seattle. And it's against the PVSA for a cruiseship to transport a passenger from one US city to a different US city without a stop in a distant foreign port. The closest distant foreign port on that itinerary is over 5 days away. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post

Actually the cruise you are mentioning was done in 2012 not 2011. The 2011 AK cruises started in Vancouver, the 2012 AK cruises started in Seattle.
As I recall, DCL booked guests on the 2012 northbound B2B (L.A.-Seattle), then learned it was in violation of some maritime act. To get around it, DCL made all B2B passengers check out of their cabins after the first segment, leave the ship, then check in for the second segment in a different cabin.

Apparently that did not satisfy the authorities, since guests were not ashore for the required number of hours to meet the act. I don't recall if DCL was fined, or was warned of hefty fines if it happened again.

After learning that the northbound B2B did not comply, DCL contacted the guests on the 2012 southbound B2B (Seattle-L.A.) saying they could take either one of those cruises, but not both. DCL gave a full refund for the canceled cruise, and a discount off the cruise taken.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #24
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
Yes, we are doing it again this year. I will certainly report back here if they've learned some things and it was any smoother and if they had any excursions just to pass the time.
Oh wonderful, please do. I am definitely going to be looking for your update.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #25
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
After learning that the northbound B2B did not comply, DCL contacted the guests on the 2012 southbound B2B (Seattle-L.A.) saying they could take either one of those cruises, but not both. DCL gave a full refund for the canceled cruise, and a discount off the cruise taken.

Woody
Thanks for the details. I knew that I had seen people posting that they were upset about having to cancel one of the cruises when they had planned to do them B2B.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #26
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
Thanks for the details. I knew that I had seen people posting that they were upset about having to cancel one of the cruises when they had planned to do them B2B.
As far as the suggestion to tour Vancouver, my DH is meeting the ship in Vancouver. If he flies into Seattle and then takes the Amtrak to Vancouver, we are going to have his luggage, etc. to deal with, so I am not sure that taking a tour in Vancouver will work for us.

We have a long time to work the kinks out, so at this point I am trying to check out all the options.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #27
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

So he will be joining you in the middle of the B2B? He will be able to check his luggage when he arrives at the terminal. There is nothing that says you have to stay in the terminal after you do this. You can then go out exploring without his bags. We stayed at the Pan before the cruise and the porters told us to check our bags with them when we got off the ship. They chained them up in their holding area and we picked them up when we were finished around 5:00 and helped us load them into the taxi to go to the airport hotel for that night. Their porter was right at the exit that led into the hotel.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #28
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
So he will be joining you in the middle of the B2B? He will be able to check his luggage when he arrives at the terminal. There is nothing that says you have to stay in the terminal after you do this. You can then go out exploring without his bags. We stayed at the Pan before the cruise and the porters told us to check our bags with them when we got off the ship. They chained them up in their holding area and we picked them up when we were finished around 5:00 and helped us load them into the taxi to go to the airport hotel for that night. Their porter was right at the exit that led into the hotel.
Yes, he is joing us in the middle of the B2B. He will have a very heavy bag filled with camera equipment that we won't want to lug around (and he won't check it), so I think exploring once we meet up will not be up for discussion.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #29
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
Yes, he is joing us in the middle of the B2B. He will have a very heavy bag filled with camera equipment that we won't want to lug around (and he won't check it), so I think exploring once we meet up will not be up for discussion.
In thinking about this, once we get to Vancouver, my SIL will be moving into the connecting cabin, so if we let our cabin steward know she is moving next door, they might get that one ready as quickly as they do the first one we will be in. I have heard that they get the B2B cabins ready before the others. Seems like she and I should get back on the ship and get all of her things moved to the new cabin while we are waiting for DH to board.

Does this seem like a pretty good option with our situation?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #30
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Didn't someone respond in this thread that the stewards would move your stuff if you were moving cabins? Doesn't sound like something you need to do on your own.

Can DH find a *rolling* bag to contain his equipment between now and then? It is just such a shame to be in that gorgeous city, in May no less, and not take a little bit of time to look around.

But at the very least you might be able to simply walk around the area of Canada Place; it's a lovely terminal (I've never been inside, as our honeymoon cruise was out of Ballantyne, but we've walked around CP) and it's neat to see the ships from the outside and SO close.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: