Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Resort with the 'worst' bus system
S/D/BW 16 21.33%
YC/BC 14 18.67%
Pop/AoA 2 2.67%
GF/Polynesian/CR/BLT 12 16.00%
WL 4 5.33%
POR/FQ 6 8.00%
CBR 5 6.67%
CSR 3 4.00%
All Stars...Movies, Music, Sports 17 22.67%
SSR 4 5.33%
OKW 2 2.67%
AKL/Kidani 9 12.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #16
TheShea's
Mouseketeer

Have no patience for any of the bus services offered by Disney. We "tried" to use the bus service when we stayed at BWV 3 years ago but it ended up being an annoyance. Between the stops (I know it's a bus service and there's no non-stop bus service) to get to the parks and then the lines waiting at the bus pavillion to get back to our resort we had had enough after 2 days, couldn't imagine doing it for 8 more. So we ended up cabbing it everywhere which was perfect. Never really had to wait anywhere to grab a cab and the expense was well worth not having to ride the bus and the associated standing in long lines.

That will be our same plan when we go again in Aug.
TheShea's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
What's up with that? I didn't even think one poster could vote multiple times in a poll. Shows what I don't know.

Anyway, I voted for the BW/S/D route because in my experience that has been the most obnoxious bus service -- especially from AK and DTD. Too many resorts on the same route. Like another poster noted, however, the ability to walk to DHS and Epcot makes up for the mediocre bus service and BWI is still my favorite resort.

It's kind of funny how the "worst" poll is receiving more posts than the "best" poll. I wonder what that says.
I made both polls able to accept multiple choices....much easier that way. As for the poster who voted for every catagory? Same thing on the other poll as well!!

And as far as people voting more for 'bad' buses?? Human nature. You will always see more people chiming in with bad reports. That's one reason I put little trust in travelocity reviews...or such spots.
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
I guess the poster who voted for all the resorts was saying bus service sucks, no matter what resort you're staying at.

Even the posters who go to Disney several times a year are basing their vote on maybe a dozen or two bus trips.

Conventional wisdom is people are happiest with buses which don't routinely stop at multiple resorts or at multiple stops in your resort. That suggests POP and, until DVC opened, AKL were considered the best.

Conventional wisdom is people are happiest if they can avoid buses. Guests staying in the EPCOT resorts can walk to 2 parks. Guests at the Contemporary can walk to the MK and guests in the monorail resorts can take the monorail or boat to the MK.

CSR has multiple stops, coming back you can get off at the first stop and walk to your room. Going you may have the choice of walking to the first stop and spending a few minutes being driven around the resort or walking to the last stop in CSR and standing.

I don't think the poll results will do anything to disprove the conventional wisdom.
He /she also voted for every option in the "best transportation" poll.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #19
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess
He /she also voted for every option in the "best transportation" poll.
No difference between resorts? They're all just as good and just as bad. OR is it like pushing all the buttons in the elevator?
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #20
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
No difference between resorts? They're all just as good and just as bad. OR is it like pushing all the buttons in the elevator?
I have to agree....I think he just doesn't think there's a huge difference. Pretty much the same way I feel. I can have great bus service at my resort on one day, and the next day it could be abysmal!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
These sorts of conversations always reminds me of the Unofficial Guide "grades" for resort transportation. Look at the resorts that have the exactly the same transportation options, but grade out differently:.
I would have liked to see a narrative for each resort pointing out the highlights and lowdowns on bus service.

Or would the average reader find extra paragraphs to be boring and unnecessary clutter?
(some years ago) At a cartoon class at Disney Quest my drawing tablet malfunctioned, zigzagging all of the place instead of making a simple circle for Mickey's head. (today) Voter beware, you may have to touch or poke the electronic tablet or screen off center to choose the candidate you want.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #22
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink
Yeah, you guessed it. Had to happen. So, which resort(s) do you think have the worst bus transportation.
Here's the thing....best and worst are very subjective. So, again, try to remain civil. Discussion is good, nastiness is not.
Just what we needed-- another bad bus thread.. Ugh
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #23
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Just what we needed-- another bad bus thread.. Ugh
Hey!!! It's not technically a 'bad bus thread'...it's a poll, with subsequent discussions. That's exactly what this particular board is for..sharing of experiences by all.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #24
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

We have NEVER been to AKL when the buses were running even close to an ontime schedule....granted, we've always visited,never stayed here, but based on the disgruntled guests comments each and every time we go, I would never ever book a stay here. The last time, it was a 40 min. wait for the bus, and the resort guests were SO mad, many of them had been waiting for over an hour for pickup when we arrived,missing their ADR's,and party schedules (I guess hard ticketed party)
I have never had too many issues with POFQ,OKW,POP,(tho not my fave) CBR,WL,CSR,etc etc etc...nothing like we've seen at AKL......
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #25
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

wait...I need to edit my last comment I wouldn't book a stay there unless I had a rental car it's a really cool resort,just not cool bus service
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #26
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Hey Tink, how did you get the poll to list each voter under their vote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
Look at the resorts that have the exactly the same transportation options, but grade out differently:

WL: B
VWL: B+ (okay, the walk from VWL might be shorter...)

BWI: B
BWV: C+

BC: B
BCV: C+

CR: C+
BLT: B (the monorail station and bus stop are *at* CR!)
I wonder if this is a product of the clientele. Since the Villas are likely DVC owners, can the Unofficial Guide fairly compare them to the non-villa visitors due to priorities and perception? Just curious where the bias may lay.

Quote:
I disagree, bus service to EPCOT from the CR is absolutely horrendous and non-existent!
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #27
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysword View Post
Hey Tink, how did you get the poll to list each voter under their vote?

I wonder if this is a product of the clientele. Since the Villas are likely DVC owners, can the Unofficial Guide fairly compare them to the non-villa visitors due to priorities and perception? Just curious where the bias may lay.

I disagree, bus service to EPCOT from the CR is absolutely horrendous and non-existent!
When you make up the poll, you can make it so the votes are public.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #28
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysword View Post
My comment was speculation as to why a poster might have checked every resort.

The bus service from CR to EPCOT may be horrendous but the bus service from BLT to the MK is even worse, unbelievably bad.

A guest who is interested in taking a bus to the parks needs to avoid most of the deluxe resorts. Bus service from most deluxe resorts is horrendous and non-existent to a couple of theme parks.

I haven't read anything which suggests Disney intentionally gives better, more frequent, bus service based on the category of resort. That suggests the "best" bus service will be found by either picking a resort which doesn't require bus service to some parks (walk to DHS and EPCOT) from the EPCOT resorts or picking a resort which minimizes the number of stops a bus makes, either in your resort or at other resorts.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #29
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
My comment was speculation as to why a poster might have checked every resort.

The bus service from CR to EPCOT may be horrendous but the bus service from BLT to the MK is even worse, unbelievably bad.

A guest who is interested in taking a bus to the parks needs to avoid most of the deluxe resorts. Bus service from most deluxe resorts is horrendous and non-existent to a couple of theme parks.

I haven't read anything which suggests Disney intentionally gives better, more frequent, bus service based on the category of resort. That suggests the "best" bus service will be found by either picking a resort which doesn't require bus service to some parks (walk to DHS and EPCOT) from the EPCOT resorts or picking a resort which minimizes the number of stops a bus makes, either in your resort or at other resorts.
I truly think, after many stays at all level of resorts at WDW, that those resorts that have alternative transportation (not buses) to one or more parks, tends to have the worst bus service to other parks. Not sure why, but that has been my experience. If you forget about the multiple stops, within the resort, at the moderates? They have pretty decent bus service. And the values?? Usually very good, which is why I'm surprised to see them getting to many votes!!

I'm not sure why anyone would say that buses weren't running close to an on-time schedule....there is no schedule! Yes, the buses are 'supposed' to come every 20 mins, but we all know that stuff happens and that just doesn't work. One should never, ever think they are going to wait 5 mins or less for the bus, which means they only have to leave 30 mins to get from resort to park. Bound to be some issues with that way of thinking!

I believe each resort gets to decide what their transportation budget is going to be. Perhaps BW, for instance, figures it doesn't need to budget in as much for buses since they have accessibility to 2 parks without buses. I don't know, but I have had the absolute worst bus transportation at the Polynesian. Getting to DHS was a nightmare. I wish I had known about there being a bus to DHS over at the TTC...I would have just walked over there, but that was before I became so familiar with the transportation system.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #30
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I believe each resort gets to decide what their transportation budget is going to be. Perhaps BW, for instance, figures it doesn't need to budget in as much for buses since they have accessibility to 2 parks without buses. I don't know, but I have had the absolute worst bus transportation at the Polynesian. Getting to DHS was a nightmare. I wish I had known about there being a bus to DHS over at the TTC...I would have just walked over there, but that was before I became so familiar with the transportation system.
Sorry but that doesn't pass my screen of logic. Do you think BWV could decide to offer a lower level of bus service then BWI? Do you think YC and BC could offer a different level of service? POLY and the GF? Do you think either Swan or Dolphin has any say?

It's possible Disney decided to cut back on bus service to those resorts which have boat or monorail service but I can't see anyway that decision could be made at the resort level. Deluxe resorts share buses. No logical way they could have a choice. Maybe OKW and SSR could make a decision, but I don't even think they have the option.

My thouht. POP has one stop and a lot of guests. Too many guests waiting and an extra bus gets dispatched. Deluxe buses take longer because of the stops. Fewer guests per resort means it's less likely, non-peak, to have enough guests waiting at any one stop to motivate an extra bus.

Bus schedule. May not be posted but Disney must have a "secret" policy regarding how long between bus runs. More then a 30 minute wait, by watch time not by "estimated time", suggests the buses are probably running behind Disney's secret schedule.

I think a digital board listing the waiting time for the next bus would be great. I might cancel my DW lunch/shopping at DTD plans if the sign says we'll be waiting 30 minutes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: