Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
clareita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post
Anyone have any links to "best practices" articles about what the hotel industry is going to do about these things?? About time we brought back DDT...
The day Disney brings in a highly toxic agent like DDT to combat what is essentially a nuisance, although one with big ick factor, is the last time I even think about staying in one of their hotels.
clareita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Thanks for the reminder to be vigilant. But just wondering why mouse keeping wouldn't notice them on room turnover? They have to strip bedding so you'd think they would be trained to look for them on mattresses?
No doubt they are trained, but the bugs can come in on the luggage of the new guests. And those guests wouldn't know that they were in the luggage if they don't check thorougly. And, hotelier background here, hotels find them by such methods frequently and deal with it before new guests are put in that room. I have absolutely no doubt Disney has as well.

The problem is there is absolutely no known way to 100% keep them out of a hotel and if someone knows such a method there is an entire industry that will be ecstatic
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #18
bearloch
DIS Veteran

I too check every time and have never seen any thankfully!! BUT I have a lot of friends who have seen them expecially in TAXIS!!

WDW1986
Disneyland 1998
Disneyland 1999
WDW 2003
BAck First time @ Fort 12 /2007

Moved closer to Mickey June 2011:dance
CSR June 2012
bearloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ugh. Just plain ugh.

I know these things can show up anywhere, anytime, regardless of how "nice" the place is, and I know Disney will aggressively combat the filthy things, but man, just ugh!

As these things continue to proliferate, it almost seems to me that at some point there may come a time when hoteliers in general have to adopt a practice of some minimum effort at pest control every time a room gets turned over. May be a difficult or expensive practice if you (as an example) bug-bomb/fumigate a room and have to keep it unoccupied for a day, but it may be that doing so ends up being cheaper than having to fork out $$$ to have clothes laundered, pay for new clothes, and still end up having to clean the room.

Anyone have any links to "best practices" articles about what the hotel industry is going to do about these things?? About time we brought back DDT...
Do a search and you'll find lots of best practice documents. Bug bomb and DDT are never the way to go, never going to put your guests in rooms that are saturated with poisonous chemicals.

Hoteliers (I'm one) are doing lots of things to control them. There are procedures in place in every properly managed hotel that I know of. There are inspections when rooms are empty and/or changed over, specially trained dogs are often brought in to see if there is an infestation, even throwing out furniture and furnishings are done. The hotel market is very definitely doing whatever it can. But, bed bugs are an international problem and not exclusive to hotels. They are literally found everywhere in every type of building.

As long as they exist they will be brought into buildings including hotels. We try to prevent them but the best measure of a hotel is their response to finding a problem and getting rid of clothes etc, thermally treating the room, assisting your guests to both help them and prevent the bugs fom traveling with them and perhaps to their houses etc is the right thing to do. Disney handled this well and if all hotels do this then the problem can be controlled. But until someone finds a way to eradicate them from the world we will be dealing with this menace.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
eMd
Earning My Ears

Bed Bug Tips

I recently replied to a non-Disney hotel thread regarding Bed Bugs.
I had my own run in with bed bugs at a family rental house in New Jersey Memorial Day of 2011. Here is what I wrote in the other thread.

Quote:
This is going to be sort of long:

• Before your trip look online to see if bed bugs have been reported. Some good websites www.bedbugregistry.com and www.bedbugreports.com
• Do not place luggage on a bed, ground, or any other furniture before you check for bed bugs. If you have your own transportation you could leave your luggage in the car while you check the room. If not, one of the safest places you can place your luggage is actually the bathtub/shower. Bed bugs tend to not make it that far as they won’t be close to their food source.
•A small flashlight is handy for checking under beds, long seams and being headboards.
•You should strip the bed sheets and any mattress pad to check the mattress. Remember to check box springs or platform beds crevices as well. Pay special attention the seams.
•You will also want to check everything else that can hold bed bugs. Bed stands, couches, drawers and furniture.
•Adult bed bugs are oval, brown, flat and wingless. They are about the size of an apple seed. Young bed bugs are smaller, and sometimes a lighter shade of brown. Babies tend to be almost a clear color.
•Look for rusty or reddish stains on bed linens, pillows, mattress/box spring, frame, headboard, bed stands, walls, etc.
•Bed bug excrement leave dark spots that may look like a pencil or pen mark.
•Eggs and eggshells are white and are only about a millimeter in size.
•Pay special attention to box springs – these are a bed bug haven! Platform beds, or slatted bed should also be checked.
•You sometimes are able to see shed bed bug exoskeletons as well.
•Some tips and tricks suggest to turn the lights off, and use your flashlight, or to turn a hair dryer on the mattress corners for a few minutes to simulate body warmth. The idea is that the warmth and the dark will bring the bed bugs out(as they usually feed at night and when a warm body is in the bed) and you may be able to trick them to come out to find them. I have never used this method because it has been pretty clear but checking the seams, etcs whether or not there may be a bed bug infestation.
•If you find signs of bed bugs, and you are not able to change hotels request a new room on a different floor far away from the infected room. Often times the rooms next door, directly above and below can also be infected.
•Not everyone is allergic to bed bugs, so not everyone will have a reaction if bitten by bed bugs. This is why it is important to check for bed bugs before you make yourself at home on vacation.
•You can use zip lock bags, something called or something called Bug Zip to help encase your luggage/clothing/belongings to help prevent bed bugs. There are plenty of other brands, but Bug zip is the only one I am familiar with. Bug Zips are meant to be left behind for disposal, and not meant to be reused.
http://www.bugzip.com/
•Due to regulations in the United Stated the chemicals that effectively treat bed bugs tend to no longer be available. The only way to kill bed bugs seems to be high heats. You should wash everything that can be laundered that way on high heat upon returning home, and dry on high heat. Throw anything else that can be put through a high heat dry cycle through one.
•Vacuum suitcases/luggage crevices to get rid of any eggs. Hard shell suitcases are better for preventing bed bugs than regular fabric ones.
www.bedbugger.com is one of my favorite websites for bed bugs tips, tricks, and how to deal.

I am sure that I am forgetting some things, which is why I included the bed bugger website link. I know that with my own experience I became incredibly paranoid along with my 2 girlfriends, my cousin and her friend. I ended up cleaning everything I had with me on high heat, and placing it all in zip locks and trash bags. I cleaned my car, and I threw away my actual suitcase. I had bought new clothes and took an outdoor shower at the rental home because I refused to re -the house. I pretty much lost my mind during that ordeal and developed extreme anxiety afterwards. I now check for bed bugs at very hotel or vacation rental stay and I have bed bug/allergy encasements on my mattress and pillows for preventative measures. FYI – the encasement is preventative in the sense that it makes it easier to inspect. Also, Bed Bath and Beyond carries an "all natural" bed bug spray. I bring the travel size one with me, and spray my mattress, and other furniture, just to be safe. It probably doesn't do anything and it smells strongly of cinnamon almost sickeningly so.
eMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
Ivonne
Mouseketeer

SSR??

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Ivonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #22
eMd
Earning My Ears

By the way I think Disney is handling this awesomely based on what you stated.

As I stated with my own experience I was staying at a family rental property. My grandmother was there, and it was me, my cousin, her friend, and two of my friends. When we found the bed bugs my grandmother's reply was "oh when we had them last year they were all over the walls"

My jaw fell to the floor. We handled it about the same way Disney did(new clothes, treated everything best we could-high heat wash/dry). Luckily we didn't bring any home but it still caused a lot of mental paranoia for a good 6 months afterwards.
eMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #23
jackemail
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivonne View Post
SSR??

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Saratoga Springs Resort
Old 03-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clareita View Post
The day Disney brings in a highly toxic agent like DDT to combat what is essentially a nuisance, although one with big ick factor, is the last time I even think about staying in one of their hotels.
I'll say this one last time, and will move on -- as I noted in a previous response, virtually all of the hysteria around DDT is from serious junk science from the late 60's and the "Silent Spring" idiocy of Rachel Carson. Millions of souls in developing nations relied on DDT to control mosquito-borne malaria, and Carson's disciples were successful in getting production stopped and igniting what would in any other circle be termed a genocide.

Anyway, as I said, last diversion on the DDT business - but the "toxic agent like DDT" reference couldn't go unchallenged. Its one of the biggest urban legends this side of the cyclamate "scandals" of the same era...

back to topic...

Quote:
the bugs can come in on the luggage of the new guests.
And that's what makes the creatures next to impossible to stop. Taxis, buses, heck, they could be anywhere. SSR was just unlucky this time, and it likely wasn't the first nor will it be the last.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #25
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaG View Post
Did she mention a room number?
Why? What difference would it make? In the off chance that somebody is checking in at some future time, hears the room #, remembers this post and can say, "No, not that one. That's the one that had bed bugs."
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #26
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clareita View Post
FYI - Aspartame in diet soda isn't dangerous either..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #27
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

You kill bed bugs with heat or cold. Disney has dogs that can sniff them out and they take the dogs around to the resorts on a regular basis.

People bring the bugs in with their luggage. And if one suitcase brought it in and the rest of the baggage was in Magical Express with that one suitcase, bingo! they all have bugs now.

Check your luggage before you bring it into the room after you have checked the room if the luggage has been out of your sight for any period of time.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #28
clareita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'll say this one last time, and will move on -- as I noted in a previous response, virtually all of the hysteria around DDT is from serious junk science from the late 60's and the "Silent Spring" idiocy of Rachel Carson. Millions of souls in developing nations relied on DDT to control mosquito-borne malaria, and Carson's disciples were successful in getting production stopped and igniting what would in any other circle be termed a genocide.

Anyway, as I said, last diversion on the DDT business - but the "toxic agent like DDT" reference couldn't go unchallenged. Its one of the biggest urban legends this side of the cyclamate "scandals" of the same era...
The briefest of internet searches will bring up numerous scientific studies from this century - not the 1960s- that highlight the dangers of DDT. Not that it really matters in this context. The use of highly toxic chemicals might be warranted in areas of the world with high rate of malaria. Bed bugs pose no danger to people, therefore it would be just plain silly to use something like DDT to eradicate them.

Last edited by clareita; 03-27-2013 at 10:35 PM.
clareita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #29
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
You kill bed bugs with heat or cold. Disney has dogs that can sniff them out and they take the dogs around to the resorts on a regular basis.

People bring the bugs in with their luggage. And if one suitcase brought it in and the rest of the baggage was in Magical Express with that one suitcase, bingo! they all have bugs now.

Check your luggage before you bring it into the room after you have checked the room if the luggage has been out of your sight for any period of time.
Right on all counts. The hot or cold treatment is why it's referred to as thermal treatment, basically using extreme enough temperature (hot or cold) to kill them. And the use of dogs to search hotels has become very common.

The other thing, if anyone notices them or even possible signs of them tell the hotel management immediately. Honestly, we want to know and deal with the problem immediately. That's how the guest can help to spot them early and keep them under control. It's one of the best things guests can do to help prevent the spread of bed bugs.

Last edited by Polydweller; 03-27-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Polydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #30
mybatmobile87
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMd View Post
I recently replied to a non-Disney hotel thread regarding Bed Bugs.
I had my own run in with bed bugs at a family rental house in New Jersey Memorial Day of 2011. Here is what I wrote in the other thread.
This is exactly what we do every time we stay at a hotel. It takes a little bit of time and is a little bit of a pain, but it's well worth the time, in my opinion. We keep our hard-shelled suitcases in the bathroom, keep the clothes in Ziplocks in the luggage (PJs get their own bag!), and thoroughly check the room. Don't forget to check the pillows! We also have a mattress encasement at home.

I think part of the reason that bed bugs are spreading so fast is that people don't know to look for them until they've already brought them home. And once home, they don't know how to properly treat for them. As others have said, the only way to get rid of them is thermally treating for them and it's so expensive that people are willing to try other, cheaper, methods first.
mybatmobile87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: