Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #31
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinkerfrosch View Post
The pool is a big factor. That's why I decided on AKL over WL was because AKL has 2 great pools and 2 waterside.
Is the pool that small at the Poly??
The Poly pool is too small for the number of people staying at the Poly. Personally, I have felt that at times it was too crowded to get into. However, my DD loves that pool and the volcano slide. A plus is that you can see Cinderella's castle at the MK from the Poly pool. The main pool at AKL is very large and never feels crowded. The Kidani pool is smaller, but still an ok size and the splash area at Kidani is great!

Quote:
We had considered a split stay, but its very confusing with tickets/dining plan. I am hoping for a good discount on the room rate and paying OOP for the dining plan, but if I did the discount (if one becomes available) can I do a split stay and apply the discount to each reservation?
I love the idea of a split stay, and getting to experience both resorts.
This is all new to me, so any info is greatly appreciated, thank-you!!
We do splits all the time, mostly on room-only reservations. You can get a package with the DDP for one resort, but doing it for both would require that you buy a ticket (even just a one-day one) at the 2nd resort. Some people do a package for part of the trip and then pay OOP for dining on the other half. When we do a split, we generally like to end up at the resort with the larger room so we don't feel like we downgraded somehow (so we did AKL first, Poly 2nd).

Quote:
We have a lot of ADR's..is it difficult to get to them? For example we have;
*Chef Mickey's
*Ohana dinner and breakfast
*Cape May Chef
*Boma (if we stay at AKL)
*T-rex
And others that we will do while in the parks.
What we did was do all MK/Epcot days while at the Poly (including most monorail dining), and do all AKL/DHS/AK days when staying at AKL. So Chef M and 'Ohana at the Poly. Boma when at AKL. And T-Rex and Cape May really wouldn't make a difference -- you would have to use the bus system to get to either of them from AKL or the Poly. (Cape May is easy to get to from Epcot or DHS though).

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #32
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

Quote:
LOVE BC, but that's too much $$$$ My husband would have my head..lol

So, if you did the 1st portion (reservation) for say Poly, you would do a package with dining (and if its free even better) and then the 2nd reservation with room only? Would u get a discount on the room for the 2nd reservation, and if I wanted, add the DP and pay OOP?
I'm not sure how many days/nights and tickets I'm supposed to have to take advantage of the free dining if it came available?
BC is less expensive than the Poly for us. Comparing garden view to garden view, we are paying $50 per night less for YC than Poly in October 2013.

You wouldn't be able to add the DDP to the second part of your split stay unless you got another package with tickets. Doesn't make sense financially. We do our more expensive meals during the first stay with DDP and pay for meals OOP for second part.

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #33
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

Quote:
Another question..what is the TTC and why is it important to be close to it?
The TTC is the Transportation and Ticket Center. It is the transportation hub where you can pick up the monorail to Epcot. It is a short walk over from the Poly.

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
dfarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #34
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjersnap View Post
BC is less expensive than the Poly for us. Comparing garden view to garden view, we are paying $50 per night less for YC than Poly in October 2013.

You wouldn't be able to add the DDP to the second part of your split stay unless you got another package with tickets. Doesn't make sense financially. We do our more expensive meals during the first stay with DDP and pay for meals OOP for second part.
Really? When I ran #'s for the BC it was more expensive!
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #35
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
The TTC is the Transportation and Ticket Center. It is the transportation hub where you can pick up the monorail to Epcot. It is a short walk over from the Poly.
Great! Thank-you
Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #36
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

Poly thread-this will help you with lots of great info

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2985839

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
dfarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #37
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
Awesome, thank-you!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:09 AM   #38
MyOtherSS
Mouseketeer

I would choose the Poly over AKL every time, I love the theme and location. Also access to both monorails is within walking distance. I hear people complain about how to room are dark and old but I don't see it. My last trip we stayed at AK villa Jambo and it was indeed awesome waking up to animals in a newer hotel but I'd still take the Poly. I would just go with your gut and stick with AKL if you switch the Poly and hate it (very unlikely) you'll regret it your whole trip.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #39
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOtherSS View Post
I would choose the Poly over AKL every time, I love the theme and location. Also access to both monorails is within walking distance. I hear people complain about how to room are dark and old but I don't see it. My last trip we stayed at AK villa Jambo and it was indeed awesome waking up to animals in a newer hotel but I'd still take the Poly. I would just go with your gut and stick with AKL if you switch the Poly and hate it (very unlikely) you'll regret it your whole trip.
Thanks for the info

I'm considering a split stay. 4 nights AKL and 5 nights Poly. I'm still running numbers, and figuring out what to do, but a split stay would allow us to experience both resorts! Its a bit of a hassle with the dining plan, tickets etc..but I could make it work!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #40
clareita
Mouseketeer

For all of those who don't like how the rooms at the Poly are dark, that is being addressed. Tikiman's website has pictures of the renovated rooms, and they are much lighter than the old rooms.
clareita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #41
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the info

I'm considering a split stay. 4 nights AKL and 5 nights Poly. I'm still running numbers, and figuring out what to do, but a split stay would allow us to experience both resorts! Its a bit of a hassle with the dining plan, tickets etc..but I could make it work!
We find it worth the hassle since it feels like 2 vacations in one. But then, we love to stay at different resorts, so just one would feel like we were missing something.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #42
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Since you mentioned you would have several non-park days, the Poly would be a great choice. Not only does the Poly have the pools...but the kids can also play in the sand and make sandcastles. You can rent the little water mice and zip around the lagoon for the afternoon. Rent a surrey bike and peddle around. And in the evenings you can watch movies on the beach, make smores, and watch the Electric Water Parade and the fireworks show....all steps from your hotel room It is also really nice to be able to hop on the monorail or take the boat shuttles to access other resorts for meals and shopping. At AKL, everything is via bus. That would get old after 10 days IMO.

You can easily visit the AKL for a meal or two and go to the viewing areas to see the animals.

Regarding the views at Poly, there are very few undesireable views. Many people like the views facing the parking lot as these also face the monorail and kids enjoy watching the "monorail ride". The rooms in Rapa Nui are the closest to a parking lot but even those have a lot of landscaping in between.

Good luck

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014

Grace&Carolinesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #43
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
Since you mentioned you would have several non-park days, the Poly would be a great choice. Not only does the Poly have the pools...but the kids can also play in the sand and make sandcastles. You can rent the little water mice and zip around the lagoon for the afternoon. Rent a surrey bike and peddle around. And in the evenings you can watch movies on the beach, make smores, and watch the Electric Water Parade and the fireworks show....all steps from your hotel room It is also really nice to be able to hop on the monorail or take the boat shuttles to access other resorts for meals and shopping. At AKL, everything is via bus. That would get old after 10 days IMO.

You can easily visit the AKL for a meal or two and go to the viewing areas to see the animals.

Regarding the views at Poly, there are very few undesireable views. Many people like the views facing the parking lot as these also face the monorail and kids enjoy watching the "monorail ride". The rooms in Rapa Nui are the closest to a parking lot but even those have a lot of landscaping in between.

Good luck
Thanks-you, your info has been very helpful!! Sounds like lots of really fun things to do at the Poly
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #44
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
We find it worth the hassle since it feels like 2 vacations in one. But then, we love to stay at different resorts, so just one would feel like we were missing something.
You are SO right!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #45
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

All the resorts have something special in my mind - either one would be a good choice for a variety of reasons.

That said - I love AKL - it is one of the best themed Disney resort experiences IMO and would be very enjoyable for children - I mean seriously how many places can you have a giraffe in your backyard?

What makes the Poly an appealing choice IMO would be its' location - the monorail offers a lot of convenience and it kind of puts you in the heart of Disney action close to the MK and other resorts. AKL is somewhat off to itself - but I like that about it but it might be something that factors into your decision.

1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *

POR 2009 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
DLRP Trip Reports
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: