DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
dayvewc
DIS Veteran

DVC for DCL

I'm new to DVC, can someone tell me how to book on DCL through the website? Or at least chek availability? Every time I use the website links, it takes me to a cash page.

TIA
July '09 and New Years Eve '09 offsite . Spring Break '11 Orange Lake , August '12 WorldGate , July '13 Orange Lake , Halloween '13 Saratoga Springs , Spring Break '14 Orange Lake , July '14 Silver Lake

dayvewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
keaster
DIS Veteran

If you want to use points you have to call member services to make the booking. Point charts are available online.

DCL Gold, Baby!
Caribbean Magic - February 2009
Bahamas Wonder - September 2009
Mediterranean Magic - May 2010
Mexico Wonder - March 2011
Bahamas Dream - July 2011
Caribbean Fantasy - March 2013

Our DVC Adventures!AKL Jambo - March 2012/AKL Kidani - August 2012/BLT - March 2013/SSR Treehouse - August 2013/AKL Kidani - March 2014/VGF - June 2014
keaster is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
dayvewc
DIS Veteran

Thanks,

I've been trying to check everything online, because I'm not entirely sure which sailing ill be able to take. I was afraid I'd have to call, but was hoping I didn't have to.
July '09 and New Years Eve '09 offsite . Spring Break '11 Orange Lake , August '12 WorldGate , July '13 Orange Lake , Halloween '13 Saratoga Springs , Spring Break '14 Orange Lake , July '14 Silver Lake

Old 03-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
keaster
DIS Veteran

No problem. You can only book dvc resorts and RCI online. For disney collection and other trades you have to call

DCL Gold, Baby!
Caribbean Magic - February 2009
Bahamas Wonder - September 2009
Mediterranean Magic - May 2010
Mexico Wonder - March 2011
Bahamas Dream - July 2011
Caribbean Fantasy - March 2013

Our DVC Adventures!AKL Jambo - March 2012/AKL Kidani - August 2012/BLT - March 2013/SSR Treehouse - August 2013/AKL Kidani - March 2014/VGF - June 2014
keaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvewc View Post
Thanks,

I've been trying to check everything online, because I'm not entirely sure which sailing ill be able to take. I was afraid I'd have to call, but was hoping I didn't have to.
Not all sailings will be available on points. It depends on how the cash cabins are selling. When DCL is in high demand, Disney will black out sailings to DVC or only offer certain categories. With the addition of 2 new ships, I would expect that the blackouts will be less than they used to be.

When looking at the cost of your cruise don't forget to add the $95 booking fee. Many find it a better deal to rent out their points and pay cash.

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
HannaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Not all sailings will be available on points. It depends on how the cash cabins are selling. When DCL is in high demand, Disney will black out sailings to DVC or only offer certain categories. With the addition of 2 new ships, I would expect that the blackouts will be less than they used to be.

When looking at the cost of your cruise don't forget to add the $95 booking fee. Many find it a better deal to rent out their points and pay cash.

Bill
We have just started to look at taking a Disney Cruise and imho Bill is correct, your points will go farther if you rent them out and then book with cash.

Here is what we are looking at:

Disney Fantasy - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean - June 14, 2014 - Itinerary A

According to the DCL points charts, it will be 362 to 382 points per person 1 and 2 for a Category 5 Deluxe Stateroom with Verandah. I did not call to find out which point amount it was but I based my calculations on the smallest amount of points per person.

For hubby and I, I would need:

Person 1 - 362 points
Person 2 - 362 points

I looked at this same cruise at DCL.com and the website quoted $2,534.00 per person 1 & 2 for this same cruise for a total of $5,232,24 (that includes taxes and fees).

If we rented our points through David, we would get $10 to $11 a point. So, if we rented the 362 points required book the cruise through DVC we would receive $3,620 or $3,982.

We have rented through David's before and it was very easy. We will be doing it again as soon as we have our plans finalized. We won't actually cruise until 2015. I was using the 2014 points charts / web pricing to determine what would be best for us for 2015.
HannaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
dayvewc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannaBelle View Post
We have just started to look at taking a Disney Cruise and imho Bill is correct, your points will go farther if you rent them out and then book with cash.

Here is what we are looking at:

Disney Fantasy - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean - June 14, 2014 - Itinerary A

According to the DCL points charts, it will be 362 to 382 points per person 1 and 2 for a Category 5 Deluxe Stateroom with Verandah. I did not call to find out which point amount it was but I based my calculations on the smallest amount of points per person.

For hubby and I, I would need:

Person 1 - 362 points
Person 2 - 362 points

I looked at this same cruise at DCL.com and the website quoted $2,534.00 per person 1 & 2 for this same cruise for a total of $5,232,24 (that includes taxes and fees).

If we rented our points through David, we would get $10 to $11 a point. So, if we rented the 362 points required book the cruise through DVC we would receive $3,620 or $3,982.

We have rented through David's before and it was very easy. We will be doing it again as soon as we have our plans finalized. We won't actually cruise until 2015. I was using the 2014 points charts / web pricing to determine what would be best for us for 2015.
Thanks, I had not thought of renting my points and paying cash. I'm actually looking at three different possibilities for next March. 4 day cruises on either the Magic, Dream, or Wonder (limited travel time, it all has to happen between March 22 - 30, inclusively). The point values range from (low-end) 75, 105, and 120 to (high-end) 106, 134, and 136.

Looking at the specific trips I was pricing, it will actually cost me more in cash than by using points, but I definitely like the idea for future possibilities.

Disneynutz, thanks I had somehow completely missed the $95 booking fee. Do you know if that is a per person, or one fee for the total reservation?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

The $95 dollar fee is per reservation, but if you have to make any changes, even small ones, they charge another $95 dollars.

As far as renting points and then using cash for the cruise... I would suggest doing a lot of research on the boards. Opinions vary widely on this one. We have cruised many times and so far we have just used the points to book the cruise. For us renting is a risk and/or hassle I just do not want to take with my points. Companies like Davids and having the online DVC reservations has made it easier, but you are still responsible for any damage or unpaid charges that your renters may intentionally or unintentionally cause/leave. That to us is just too much risk to take. I may eventually rent some points, but for now, we will just use the points to book the cruise. It is easy, there is no risk. We love to tell people the cruise only cost $95 dollars out of pocket. There are also some deals out there even for cruises, in particular the TransAtlantics, you can get a 14-15 day cruise for around the same points as a seven day in some cases.

As I mentioned, opinions vary widely on renting. There is a lot of information on the boards about it. I suggest a lot of research before deciding whether or not to rent your points.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
disneynutz

Quote:
Thanks, I had not thought of renting my points and paying cash. I'm actually looking at three different possibilities for next March. 4 day cruises on either the Magic, Dream, or Wonder (limited travel time, it all has to happen between March 22 - 30, inclusively). The point values range from (low-end) 75, 105, and 120 to (high-end) 106, 134, and 136.

Looking at the specific trips I was pricing, it will actually cost me more in cash than by using points, but I definitely like the idea for future possibilities.

Disneynutz, thanks I had somehow completely missed the $95 booking fee. Do you know if that is a per person, or one fee for the total reservation?

Thanks
You need to keep an eye out for DCL cash discounts and factor in that cost compared to renting your points. IMO DCL inventory is plentiful based on the Galveston, Military, Florida Resident discounts that I see advertised on TV.

Compare the costs and discounts to get the best deal. A really good deal is to keep your points for DVC vacations and start saving extra cash for your DCL trip! The best of both worlds!

Bill

Old 03-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
HannaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
You need to keep an eye out for DCL cash discounts and factor in that cost compared to renting your points. IMO DCL inventory is plentiful based on the Galveston, Military, Florida Resident discounts that I see advertised on TV.

Compare the costs and discounts to get the best deal. A really good deal is to keep your points for DVC vacations and start saving extra cash for your DCL trip! The best of both worlds!

Bill
Hey Bill, where are you looking for discounts for DCL?

Does DCL offer any discounts to DVC members when paying cash?
HannaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #11
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannaBelle View Post
Hey Bill, where are you looking for discounts for DCL?

Does DCL offer any discounts to DVC members when paying cash?
There isn't a DVC discount even thought DCL and DVC are in the same Disney business units.

You should check out the DCL forum here on the DIS and check out the Dreams travel site: http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/cruise/index.htm

Bill

Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

We'll both be retired pretty soon, and I wish the precedent that Claire Bilby gave, discounting soon to sail DCL cruises to DVC members would be coming back! We couldn't take advantage of the offers before retirment.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Remember, too, that your points become reservation points when you make that DCL reservation with them. If you need to cancel, you cannot use them to book a DVC stay. You'll only be able to use them to book the Disney Collection.

And the points you use to book a cruise must be direct from Disney points if you purchased them after March 20, 2011. Resale points purchased after that date cannot be used for the Disney Collection.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw View Post
The $95 dollar fee is per reservation, but if you have to make any changes, even small ones, they charge another $95 dollars.

As far as renting points and then using cash for the cruise... I would suggest doing a lot of research on the boards. Opinions vary widely on this one. We have cruised many times and so far we have just used the points to book the cruise. For us renting is a risk and/or hassle I just do not want to take with my points. Companies like Davids and having the online DVC reservations has made it easier, but you are still responsible for any damage or unpaid charges that your renters may intentionally or unintentionally cause/leave. That to us is just too much risk to take. I may eventually rent some points, but for now, we will just use the points to book the cruise. It is easy, there is no risk. We love to tell people the cruise only cost $95 dollars out of pocket. There are also some deals out there even for cruises, in particular the TransAtlantics, you can get a 14-15 day cruise for around the same points as a seven day in some cases.

As I mentioned, opinions vary widely on renting. There is a lot of information on the boards about it. I suggest a lot of research before deciding whether or not to rent your points.

I agree 100% I don't rent points.

I won't use the brokers because IMHO they are "commercial renting" and i have complained to Disney. I think it would be "tacky" of me to then turn around and use them

YOu can also pay cash for some people and use points for others. i have done that a couple of times.

And I don't think that 'Claire" was the reason for the discounts. I think it was DCL saying "we aren't selling these ships out let's see if we can work a deal with DVC" Remember both sides have to do this as a business So if DCL thinks it can get more from DCL then from a cash discount the offers may come back.
OrangeCountyCommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #15
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks
As noted, the $95 fee is per reservation but the points listed are per person for the first 2 in a given cabin. Those dates are all peak on the points charts. Just look at the same cabin cash and compare to points, normally you get about $6-7 a point return after you account for the $95 fee. Plus if you have to change or cancel, you do not get your points back as DVC points but as reservation points that expire the end of the UY and can't be banked.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: