Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinkerfrosch View Post
We had considered a split stay, but its very confusing with tickets/dining plan. I am hoping for a good discount on the room rate and paying OOP for the dining plan, but if I did the discount (if one becomes available) can I do a split stay and apply the discount to each reservation?
I love the idea of a split stay, and getting to experience both resorts.
This is all new to me, so any info is greatly appreciated, thank-you!!
If the discount is available for the two resorts, yes, you can receive the discount on two room only reservations. We nearly always do split stays and have done this many times, including this upcoming reservation. Other times, we have done a package with tix, dining (sometimes free) and room for first part of split stay and room only for the second portion. All discounted in some way because we won't go without one.

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #17
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

Quote:
We have a lot of ADR's..is it difficult to get to them? For example we have;
*Chef Mickey's
*Ohana dinner and breakfast
*Cape May Chef
*Boma (if we stay at AKL)
*T-rex
And others that we will do while in the parks.
Chef Mickey's, Ohana, and Cape May are accessible by monorail. I would take that into consideration. You can reach Cape May by taking the monorail to Epcot and walking to Beach Club. That may be something you want to consider...it wouldn't be a deal breaker for us, but definitely a consideration for ease of transportation. Will you have a car? If so, I wouldn't even factor in the monorail...just drive.

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
dfarner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidijanesmith View Post
Two of our favorite resorts! We are also going in Oct (4-13) and staying at AKL.

We stayed at AKL for our 1st visit to WDW and thought it was a perfect 1st resort. The theme is amazing, beautiful rooms and lobby. Bus service is excellent and great food options. Feels like you are on an African safari and it's very quiet.

The Poly is our favorite. Huge rooms, awesome location and day bed in every room. Feels like your in the middle of everything. Watching Wishes from the beach/pool or GCH is heaven!

With kids that age, both resorts are appealing. If you want a little more space in your room, go for the Poly. The day beds are comfy and a great option. AKL has bunkbeds, if your kids don't like to sleep together. The Poly is very convenient to MK and EPCOT and the bus service was great for us.

Either way, they are great resorts
I would say that cleanliness and pools, activities for the kids is our 1st priority, then transportation. Room size is last on the list cause we will spent a lot of time at the parks and relaxing around the pools, going to the water parks etc....we plan on doing 5 park days and 5 down days..we pretty much planned every other day for a park and a down day in between. We want to see the parks of course, but we also really want to enjoy the resort as well, and get our $$'s worth!!
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #19
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
Chef Mickey's, Ohana, and Cape May are accessible by monorail. I would take that into consideration. You can reach Cape May by taking the monorail to Epcot and walking to Beach Club. That may be something you want to consider...it wouldn't be a deal breaker for us, but definitely a consideration for ease of transportation. Will you have a car? If so, I wouldn't even factor in the monorail...just drive.
Do you mean if I stay at the Poly?
And, no, no car..
Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #20
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjersnap View Post
If the discount is available for the two resorts, yes, you can receive the discount on two room only reservations. We nearly always do split stays and have done this many times, including this upcoming reservation. Other times, we have done a package with tix, dining (sometimes free) and room for first part of split stay and room only for the second portion. All discounted in some way because we won't go without one.
Thank-you!

If free dining became available, could you do the 1st reservation with free dining and the 2nd reservation with room discount?
Does AKL and the Poly normally have a discount in Oct? I know free dining is possible...
Old 03-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #21
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It isn't teeny tiny but it can get pretty crowded. It is a little too small for the resort's size, IMO. We spend more time at the quiet pool, to be honest, though my kids enjoy the volcano slide.

ETA: if you go down the page to "recreation and fun", there are many pics of the volcano pool for you to gauge the relative size. http://allears.net/acc/g_poly.htm
Thank-you! I will check it out!

Is the slide long??
Old 03-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
dfarner

Quote:
Do you mean if I stay at the Poly?
And, no, no car..
I'm sorry...yes, if you stay at the Poly, as it's on the monorail and close to the TTC. That would be a perk with your ADRs.

Me DH DD11 DD7

2011-Polynesian~GVCL
Old 03-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #23
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We were there two summers ago and I don't have any complaints about the size of the pool. I would say it was semi-crowded, but not cramped, if that makes sense. They did a great job of checking resort IDs (and they DID asks unregistered guests to leave), and the activity group that did the games by the pool was great. They played wonderful music and had some fantastic games for the kids. All in all, I had planned on a very cramped, tiny pool with lots of pool hoppers, and found none of that. We found it to be very pleasant.
We are going in Oct..do you know how crowd levels are then? Maybe it will be a lot less crowded cause of the time of year?

Also, at AKL we got a "pool view room" at the Poly we could only do a "standard" room..would be be looking at a parking lot?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #24
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm sorry...yes, if you stay at the Poly, as it's on the monorail and close to the TTC. That would be a perk with your ADRs.
No need to be sorry I really appreciate your help! And you make very valid points!!
Thank-you!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #25
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Another question..what is the TTC and why is it important to be close to it?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #26
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

Quote:
Thank-you!

If free dining became available, could you do the 1st reservation with free dining and the 2nd reservation with room discount?
Does AKL and the Poly normally have a discount in Oct? I know free dining is possible...
Typically there is some discount, yes. Honestly, I am not holding my breath for free dining in October. All signs seem to point to no. It is a much busier time of year than the usual free dining period of late August-late September. But, yes, if free dining was offered, we would do a package for the first part and room only for the second because my boys insist on both BC/YC (the best pool on property) and the Poly.

Another thing about the pool, AKL's main pool is bigger but in shape and scope seems very similar to the Poly to me. They both opened in 2001 so their similarity makes sense. I haven't visited the Kidani pool though, maybe that is the tipping point.

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #27
Cappy81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We are going in Oct..do you know how crowd levels are then? Maybe it will be a lot less crowded cause of the time of year?

Also, at AKL we got a "pool view room" at the Poly we could only do a "standard" room..would be be looking at a parking lot?
Our standard view room at the Poly was of the smaller toddler pool! We also had a pool view at AKL. We have stayed at both resorts and LOVE both!!!! You will be happy either way! I would give a slight edge to the Poly but my DH liked AKL better.

3/12 Poly, 9/12 AKL, 9/13 WL, 9/14 AKL
Cappy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #28
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Typically there is some discount, yes. Honestly, I am not holding my breath for free dining in October. All signs seem to point to no. It is a much busier time of year than the usual free dining period of late August-late September. But, yes, if free dining was offered, we would do a package for the first part and room only for the second because my boys insist on both BC/YC (the best pool on property) and the Poly.

Another thing about the pool, AKL's main pool is bigger but in shape and scope seems very similar to the Poly to me. They both opened in 2001 so their similarity makes sense. I haven't visited the Kidani pool though, maybe that is the tipping point.
LOVE BC, but that's too much $$$$ My husband would have my head..lol

So, if you did the 1st portion (reservation) for say Poly, you would do a package with dining (and if its free even better) and then the 2nd reservation with room only? Would u get a discount on the room for the 2nd reservation, and if I wanted, add the DP and pay OOP?
I'm not sure how many days/nights and tickets I'm supposed to have to take advantage of the free dining if it came available?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #29
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy81 View Post
Our standard view room at the Poly was of the smaller toddler pool! We also had a pool view at AKL. We have stayed at both resorts and LOVE both!!!! You will be happy either way! I would give a slight edge to the Poly but my DH liked AKL better.
Thank-you!! I'm so torn!!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #30
dfarner

Quote:

We haven't stayed at AKL, but my understanding (I just asked about pool view rooms the other day) is that these rooms are relatively close to the lobby. For a standard view at the Poly you very well could be looking at lush foliage and greenery. I would just request a non-parking lot view and maybe a specific building and you should be fine.
In our experience, October wasn't too terribly crowded. I'm sure you will have lots of swimming weather, but the Poly pool wouldn't be nearly as crowded as mid-summer I wouldn't think.

Me DH DD11 DD7

2011-Polynesian~GVCL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: