Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #16
jenf22
DIS Veteran

We had a balcony room and used it all the time. We also had our 5-year old with us, so that was a major contributing factor in deciding what room type. It was nice that he could be warm and cozy in the room playing while we enjoyed the balcony. I doubt dragging him all over the ship to nature watch would have been enjoyable for him.
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #17
VowRenewal13
Mouseketeer

We had a veranda stateroom. We had some days with nice weather so we could sit out on the balcony. On Tracy Arm day, we were on the top deck and deck 4. DH loves the balcony, so we will always get one. It was always easy to take pictures in the morning and evening from our stateroom. We did not spend a lot of time in our cabin. There was too much going on around the ship.
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #18
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDSMD View Post
Did you book a window or balcony room?

If you booked a window, did you wish you had the balcony?

If you booked the balcony, did you find yourself using it a lot or not that much? Would you have saved the money and gone window?

In either case, did you find yourself out of the room a lot doing stuff around the ship or off on excursions/exploring ports?

Thanks.
We booked a balcony and we used it a lot. We were also up on Deck 10 for some of the viewing through Tracy Arm, but spent quite a bit of time on our balcony as well. We liked being in the open air and it was a bit sheltered so not as cold as upper deck. We found on the Alaska trip that we spent more time at the cabin than on other cruises.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #19
becca1976
Mouseketeer

Loved reading everyone's thoughts here. We booked an inside room for our 2014 trip to Alaska. Unfortunately we couldn't afford anything with a porthole or a veranda. One review I read in another thread mentioned that with the Alaska trip, there are many more hours of daylight, so an inside room is nice for darkness allowing more hours of sleep. I console myself with this thought when I am wishing for a veranda room! haha!

The excursions are quite pricey as well, and I'd much rather experience all the special things in port rather than use that money for a room upgrade.
becca1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #20
clten
DIS Veteran

We've sailed to Alaska twice (once on Princess with a verandah, and once on DCL with an oceanview). We did enjoy having the verandah and did use it when we had it. But when we sailed the 2nd time, we didn't miss having it and had no regrets in not getting it. We were out on deck anyway. When we had the verandah, we felt a bit chained to the cabin feeling we had to be in the room using it to get our monies worth out of it. With the porthole cabin, we felt free to come and go as we pleased and had no regrets at all. On Glacier viewing day, we actually saw more when we were on the public decks as we could move from starboard to port and forward to aft more easily. There was also a sense of community -- you had more people out on the public decks spotting wildlife and whatever so you had a good chance of seeing most of what was visible. I wouldn't hesitate to do Alaska again with a porthole cabin. (We'd do inside but we'd sleep the whole cruise away if we didn't have natural light to wake us up!)
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #21
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Did get the balcony, and don't regret paying for it at all.

Did sit out there for hours reading/watching the scenery go by, etc. "Cold" is a matter of perspective/attire.

I do agree that if it came down to a choice between excursions and verandah, I would choose the excursions.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #22
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Did you have to stay in one spot to get a good view? If so, how early do you have to carve out your spot? Can you get a good view if you aren't right up at the railing?
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
Presley
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meajuly5 View Post
Did you have to stay in one spot to get a good view? If so, how early do you have to carve out your spot? Can you get a good view if you aren't right up at the railing?
There were some people who camped out in a certain spot, but the majority were very polite and took turns with the "railing" spot. Also, there is stuff to see all the way around the deck. You can get a good view from just about anywhere whether you are leaning on the railing or just walking around the deck.
Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #24
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

The only place where a "spot" is important/hard to get is at Tracy Arm...my tip there would be to go up on deck when the ship gets to the glacier and then look at the scenery of the fjord on the way back out...you will pass the same thing going out as coming in, and you won't be competing with everyone and their dog for prime viewing locations. The decks were largely empty on the way back out, and the captain even did a 'trick' turning the ship in a 360 arc for viewing of a waterfall.

Tracy Arm is also a location where, although you can see quite a bit from your verandah, the best viewing is going to be on the top deck.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokelridesagain
The only place where a "spot" is important/hard to get is at Tracy Arm...my tip there would be to go up on deck when the ship gets to the glacier and then look at the scenery of the fjord on the way back out...you will pass the same thing going out as coming in, and you won't be competing with everyone and their dog for prime viewing locations. The decks were largely empty on the way back out, and the captain even did a 'trick' turning the ship in a 360 arc for viewing of a waterfall.

Tracy Arm is also a location where, although you can see quite a bit from your verandah, the best viewing is going to be on the top deck.
Thanks! Silly ? -- I would like to get a good view if the glacier from the deck. If I cannot, will I have time to get to my balcony before missing good photo ops?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #26
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Thank you!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #27
C&Apriputin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp4352 View Post
We had a verandah and LOVED it! On our day at Endicott Arm (Tracy Arm was still unpassable on our cruise), we would enjoy having the warmth of our stateroom right there and were in and out all afternoon. Although I will admit that I took some time and went down to deck four on the other side of the ship to watch some!
We must have been on the same cruise!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #28
C&Apriputin
Earning My Ears

We had a 7a -- the navigator verandah and loved it. I booked the same thing for September 2014. We were constantly in and out, day and night. I loved the fact that I could lie on the bed and watch the mountains going by, shining in the sunrise....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: