Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
erbeaman
Mouseketeer

Tell me I'm not crazy...

I have decided to drive down to my mom's place, about an hour south of Orlando, for spring break this year. The problem is, my DH couldn't get the entire time off of work, so he is going to fly down halfway through the trip and drive back with us. Has anyone ever been brave enough to drive from Mid-Michigan with only one driver? It will be me, DS 11, DS 7 and DD 5. We have driven it 3 times, so I know what I'm in for, and I will split it into a two day drive, but I'm still nervous about not having someone to split the drive time with. Not to mention kid management. It will be worth it, right?? Any advice?
erbeaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

It would not be on my list of things to do.... Even stopping over night, that's a long drive with 3 children in a car.... Tiring for sure .... No one to spell you during the drive.... For me, totally unsafe... Sorry!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbeaman View Post
I have decided to drive down to my mom's place, about an hour south of Orlando, for spring break this year. The problem is, my DH couldn't get the entire time off of work, so he is going to fly down halfway through the trip and drive back with us. Has anyone ever been brave enough to drive from Mid-Michigan with only one driver? It will be me, DS 11, DS 7 and DD 5. We have driven it 3 times, so I know what I'm in for, and I will split it into a two day drive, but I'm still nervous about not having someone to split the drive time with. Not to mention kid management. It will be worth it, right?? Any advice?
I wouldn't. I would worry about the car breaking down or what if you got sick?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
marius97
DIS Veteran

Would I want to do it? No. Is I doable? Probably. We drive about 20 hours from southwestern Michigan. Even more than having someone else to drive, I like having the second person there to help me navigate. Having someone tell me what lane to be in or check my blind spots is invaluable. As far as the physical toll on being the only driver? Last year I drove 17 out of the 20 hours. Going down, we went straight through, coming home we stopped for the night.
marius97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

I would not. That is a lot of driving for one person especially during a busy holiday travel time. And this crazy weather with a handful of states getting large amounts of snow I would never do it.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

My mom did it. A couple of times. With my brother (1) and I (3). In 1970, 1971-ish. This was from Canton, OH, though

Not to Disney, though. She was checking it out before/after our move in 1971.
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
katie111
DIS Veteran

2 years ago I drove alone from Boston to Hilton Head, SC which is about a 16 hour drive with my kids ages 3, 7, and 9. However, I really took my time. We stopped for 3 nights along the way and did some fun activities (like the Great Wolf Lodge). The first day I drove for about 6 hours to PA but that was the longest I drove on the trip. Just be prepared for the unexpected. For example, my car got broken into in Amish country. We were staying in a nice area at a really nice hotel. Nothing was stolen but it took a 1/2 day to get my window repaired. Also, bathroom breaks were a real pain as obviously I wasn't going to let kids of those ages stay in the car alone & no one ever had to go at the same time! It just made every stop take a lot longer than when we have 2 adults. Just always keep checking the weather in the areas you are driving towards and be prepared to stop, possibly overnight, if you have to. The 11 year old should be able to help you with navigation & weather reports.

We enjoyed it so much that we are driving again this summer to Hilton Head. Hoping it will be a little easier with the kids being a little older now. Good luck!
Off site 2008

Wilderness Lodge 2008
Caribbean Beach 2009

Off site 2010
POR 2010, Swan 2011
All Star Music/Movies 2012
Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2013
katie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't do it with the weather some eastern states are having.

And I'm not sure of the distance or time it will mean in the driver's seat each day. I personally am considering a nice relaxed drive with my 8 year old this summer, down to CA maybe all the way to San Diego, but that's not going to be in 2 days.

But overall driving I'm comfy with...I drove from VA to FL then got onto 10 and went all the way to CA, turned onto 5 (I'm ignoring a few highways here obviously) and went on up to WA when I moved back to WA. It was December and I was NOT going to drive through ANY amount of snow, and it was a beautiful, long trip with just me, myself, and I.

I'm not afraid of driving, but I AM afraid of weather. (and other drivers. especially in weather)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: