Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #16
PACVII
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 109

With any luck, something should be out soon.


I'm with the others regardless the offer every bit helps. To be able to share with your family the time together will long be remembered after you forget where you had dinner. However, if done right its part of the experience.

To be able to spend that time especially with your children is priceless. When growing up we never had the opportunity for family vacations. My parents both worked more then one job just to give us basic needs. Then after saving for a family vacation we went to Disney. Back then it was just the Magic Kingdom. I can remember it like yesterday. This is why I use the free dining promo. To give my family the same memories I have.

One day I hope my children can take their children down Main Street and maybe remember being there with me and having the same great memories I have with my parents. That's what it's all about.

If a free dining promotion is what it takes for some to experience the joy then so be it. Hope it comes out soon for them.
PACVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
jadebaby0714
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9

It will cot me and my daughter 2400.00 for the 8 days we are wanting to come with the dining plan. I hope free dining ifs offered because it will make a big difference for us. We cant afford that and thats only for 2 people. Anyone coming Oct 18 thru Oct 27 and wanna split room costs lol
jadebaby0714 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #18
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,665

Oh geez...

I'll try not to politik here...as much as possible.

It's simple analogy...like the SAT

If a person can only afford 70% of the price...can they afford it at all?
And subsequently...if 100% of the cost is not available, then should the discounted rate be paid even if its available? Aren't those resources likely needed somewhere else?

This is back to the "I need it or I can't afford it". That stance is exactly why free dining gets so many detractors here. That combined with long stays on free dining or annual/bi-annual stays on free dining.

Even if you use or like free dining...you have to be able to step back and see what a screwy picture this creates to the impartial observer...let alone the antagonist.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #19
dairylives
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Oh geez...

I'll try not to politik here...as much as possible.

It's simple analogy...like the SAT

If a person can only afford 70% of the price...can they afford it at all?
And subsequently...if 100% of the cost is not available, then should the discounted rate be paid even if its available? Aren't those resources likely needed somewhere else?

This is back to the "I need it or I can't afford it". That stance is exactly why free dining gets so many detractors here. That combined with long stays on free dining or annual/bi-annual stays on free dining.

Even if you use or like free dining...you have to be able to step back and see what a screwy picture this creates to the impartial observer...let alone the antagonist.
seems like most of the posters have more of an issue with the excessively rude holier-than-thou tone that the poster took moreso than his stance on Disney dining. Its one thing to have an opinion on the quality of dining at WDW; its another to insult the intelligence of others on the board, especially in the way that Mr. Pirate did.
dairylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #20
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,482

Unhappy ~Tough crowd, mixed feelings...

~Mr. Pirate, your pithy statement has created a mess in this thread! You just have to make this right! And, I'm not picky -- carbon, platinum, either will do. Of course, I need to do a test run...


Quote:
Originally Posted by dairylives View Post
seems like most of the posters have more of an issue with the excessively rude holier-than-thou tone that the poster took moreso than his stance on Disney dining. Its one thing to have an opinion on the quality of dining at WDW; its another to insult the intelligence of others on the board, especially in the way that Mr. Pirate did.
~Ouch. I respectfully disagree with this. I reread the post, just to make sure, and I don't think it was intended to be malicious or hurtful to anyone -- at all. Actually, this is one of the extremely rare cases where I agree with Mr. Pirate. He's just looking at the larger picture. Of course, none of this helps the families who depend on free dining for their vacations. I empathize with their plight, but I think the anger is misguided, Disney deserves the blame.

~Personally, I think the free dining group deserves a little more respect for what they contribute to Disney's bottom line. I don't like how Disney is "using" them, by rationing the promotions as the last possible resort -- there just has to be a better way. I think Disney is delusional, if they think they can fill the rooms at the same capacity during those months without offering free dining -- they won't. Disney can handle this better by offering deep discounted all inclusive pricing all year or at least during value season(s). Six Flags just introduced a dining plan to their season pass holders for only 70.00, this includes lunch & dinner for the entire season!

~Six Flags Season Dining Pass~

Quote:
For as little as $69.99, park guests can enjoy a lunch and a dinner with every park visit through the 2013 season. It's a steep upfront payment, but it's easy to see how this can pay off for season pass holders that plan to make the most out of their unlimited admissions.

Do the math. Six Flags Magic Mountain in California is selling a Season Dining Pass at $99.99 -- a steal when you consider the park is open year-round, with roughly 250 operating days this year. Show up every day for both meals and you'll be chowing down on burgers, quesadillas and more for less than 25 cents a meal.
~I have never used "free" dining, but I travel to Disney during the end of August and typically depart a few days into the free dining promotion. I stay deluxe, and free dining draws in HUGE crowds at all of the resorts! I have met several guests who plan their vacations specifically for free dining. I can see the difference in crowds from the beginning of my vacation to the end.

~And, even though I don't like free dining, I can live with it -- if it means that a family who may not otherwise be able to travel to Disney World, can! Again, their money is just as good as anyone else's, and they shouldn't be considered, as the last possible resort.

~With that said, I hope everyone gets their free dining discount soon!!!
__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #21
karpy111
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 34

I figured this was a good spot to post. I understand that the current disney promotion for rooms is over March 30th or 31st. Does Disney usually have another promotion the following day?

Also for anyone that received free dining last year for November, when would that news come out?

Thanks
karpy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #22
black562
Dept of Redundancy Dept
 
black562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,196

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpy111 View Post
I figured this was a good spot to post. I understand that the current disney promotion for rooms is over March 30th or 31st. Does Disney usually have another promotion the following day?

Also for anyone that received free dining last year for November, when would that news come out?

Thanks
The next promo is for summer room only discounts which begin on April 2. The late summer free dining will drop around the end of April. November may very well not be up for free dining this year.
__________________
Joe
1973-1994 - Off Site | 1995 - Carribbean Beach, All Star Music, Beach Club | 1996 - Dixie Landings
1997 - Off Site
| 1998 - Polynesian | 1999 - All Star Music | 2000 - Riverside | 2001 - All Star Music
2002 - All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music | 2003 - Riverside | 2005 - Pop Century
2006 - All Star Music, Riverside, All Star Sports, Pop Century
| 2007 - Pop Century | 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Dolphin, Pop Century | 2010 - Riverside | 2012 - All Star Music | 2013 - Coronado Springs
2014 - Coronado Springs



black562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #23
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,665

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairylives View Post
seems like most of the posters have more of an issue with the excessively rude holier-than-thou tone that the poster took moreso than his stance on Disney dining. Its one thing to have an opinion on the quality of dining at WDW; its another to insult the intelligence of others on the board, especially in the way that Mr. Pirate did.
perhaps...but there is another side to this little debate.

I am only speaking for myself...but i can tell you where my two issues on this come from:

1. Entitlement. No need to argue this. It has many layers...but threads that tend to ask about free dining can come off as entitlement. And the mention of it is grating to some. Another "when's free dining?" thread just popped up today...about the 6th in the last two months. A little bit of an issue with perception.

2. The history of free dining...i.e. why it even happened in the first place and why it makes no sense to ask when its coming.
Rollout of the dining plan - as a way of indoctrinating the masses, and down economy are the sole reasons for free dining.
It tends to get looked at as thought this was part of the business model.

Of course its not...which means the only way it will continue is if they have to offer it to fill rooms...and those days have been trending downward for a couple of years down.

Here's the model:

Week + stays in disney hotels (prepaid)- prepaid park tickets - maintain property presence with park perks, magical express, transportation interally...now with new RFID system and complete megasizing of downtown - prepaid disney dining plan - vacation dollars in pockets after arrival spent solely on merchandise/ retail (the source of profit)

And the bigger picture beyond that is disney's perpetual research engine and huge executive hierarchy attempting to guarantee revenue (part attracting new faces...more getting repeat customers that build long histories...maybe even by a timeshare) by balancing out capital expenditures to ensure this (the good part for us...what they build new)...but only what is NEEDED to limit the outlay.

That's it in two paragraphs...Walt Disney World.
Notice "free dining" falls nowhere in the model.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #24
dadddio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Oh geez...

I'll try not to politik here...as much as possible.

It's simple analogy...like the SAT

If a person can only afford 70% of the price...can they afford it at all?
And subsequently...if 100% of the cost is not available, then should the discounted rate be paid even if its available? Aren't those resources likely needed somewhere else?

This is back to the "I need it or I can't afford it". That stance is exactly why free dining gets so many detractors here. That combined with long stays on free dining or annual/bi-annual stays on free dining.

Even if you use or like free dining...you have to be able to step back and see what a screwy picture this creates to the impartial observer...let alone the antagonist.
I tried to follow your logic, but I failed. Perhaps I was locked out. Please help me.

Let's say that my family's budget allows for a $5000 vacation. Pricing our vacation without free dining would cost $6000, so obviously we would choose not to go. Pricing it with free dining would cost $5000. You appear to be arguing that we still should not go on this vacation even though it's cost would now be within our acceptable vacation budget.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #25
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,665

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio
I tried to follow your logic, but I failed. Perhaps I was locked out. Please help me.

Let's say that my family's budget allows for a $5000 vacation. Pricing our vacation without free dining would cost $6000, so obviously we would choose not to go. Pricing it with free dining would cost $5000. You appear to be arguing that we still should not go on this vacation even though it's cost would now be within our acceptable vacation budget.
I see your point...and there's no right answer on this...but I'll tell you how I see it:

I reject the "we can afford 5,000 but not 6,000" argument for two reasons:

1. Cut down the stay...which is the right choice for a budget situation. Go 4,5,6 nights instead of 7 to accommodate the money.

This is how budget conscious traveled used to do it long before bad economy free dining hooks.

2. In just numbers terms...i
Can't have sympathy. If we're talking about $5000 vacations. Disney is not
"Affordable" nor ever stated to want to be. That is not the goal.

This is an old issue I have predating dining...the post 9/11 "heroes" 50% ticket and room discounts that were given out were heavily abused by some...to the tune of 3,4,5 visits in a year.
That was abuse and people take whatever they can swipe from you. Case in point. Some of the whininess about free dining tends to resemble that type of thing a lot.

And (this is not meant to be personal nor no offense whatsoever) but a few things stick out on these threads:
First, the people are already booked...which means they never had any attention of not going with or without free dining. So that's a pet peeve as I pay my $120.00+ dinner checks.
Second, some of the complaints seem
Logical on the surface - the cheaper it is the more options is gives. Except that doesn't make
Sense. I kinda don't care about extra money for side trips to universal, car rentals, or an upgrade from POP to port Orleans. Again, my opinion, but I don't like the idea of subsidizing this in any way. Because Disney is not footing the bill alone - all the customers pay in the end.
And third, there's no justification for pleading for free dining and staying at the Polynesian or that price category and you see that a lot as well. That doesn't jive...it's trying to eat the whole cake.

All my opinions...feel free to open fire on the messenger. Game on.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #26
dadddio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I see your point...and there's no right answer on this...but I'll tell you how I see it:

I reject the "we can afford 5,000 but not 6,000" argument for two reasons:

1. Cut down the stay...which is the right choice for a budget situation. Go 4,5,6 nights instead of 7 to accommodate the money.
Why would I cut down the stay if I can afford the entire planned time with free dining?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
And (this is not meant to be personal nor no offense whatsoever) but a few things stick out on these threads:
First, the people are already booked...which means they never had any attention of not going with or without free dining. So that's a pet peeve as I pay my $120.00+ dinner checks.
I'm still not seeing your point. If my hypothetical vacation budget was $6000, I would book the vacation without free dining. Certainly, I would still be very interested in whether FD would be offered as it would save me $1000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Second, some of the complaints seem
Logical on the surface - the cheaper it is the more options is gives. Except that doesn't make Sense. I kinda don't care about extra money for side trips to universal, car rentals, or an upgrade from POP to port Orleans. Again, my opinion, but I don't like the idea of subsidizing this in any way.
People should not attempt to save on their vacation costs in any way? Everyone should pay rack rate or they are somehow cheating the system?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Because Disney is not footing the bill alone - all the customers pay in the end.
That is a theoretical argument that can be made about every discount. It isn't really accurate, however, since it is a package discount instead of a straight freebie. The cost of free dining is offset by the fact that you have to pay rack rate for the room. This is why people are forced to weigh free dining against room discounts to see which is the better deal for their family.

(It's rumored that this year's free dining offer will be replaced with a room/park ticket/dining combo discount that for many families will be as good of a deal. Time will tell.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
And third, there's no justification for pleading for free dining and staying at the Polynesian or that price category and you see that a lot as well. That doesn't jive...it's trying to eat the whole cake.
If the company offers a discount on the entire cake, what's wrong with eating the entire cake?

If they offered a room discount that gave the option of either staying at a discounted deluxe or a rack-rate moderate for about the same price. Most everyone would choose the deluxe. There's nothing wrong with this. There is no ethical dilemma in accepting an offered discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
All my opinions...feel free to open fire on the messenger. Game on.
I hope that you don't think that my post is 'opening fire' on you. I am merely probing an apparent difference in opinion.

Last edited by dadddio; 03-28-2013 at 12:44 PM.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #27
RedsDrew
Mouseketeer
 
RedsDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 93

Man, everyday it seems that I come across multiple posts where people just don't have patience for each others' views.

1) After reading this thread, I am stating that I have the right to speak up about what I'm reading because there's no warning ahead of the thread telling me not to read it because people aren't being politely tolerant of each other's view points/opinions.

2) After reading this thread, don't bother telling me to simply avoid the DIS as a previous poster was told to stop going to Disney because he simply expressed his view.

3) In the past, I too have taken advantage of free dining promotions, so while I understand why everyone likes free dining from a financial savings aspect, I too can understand some of the posts against free dining which cite quality and overall negative impacts to the wholistic theme park experience (I personally have experienced longer food lines and table waits even with reservations during free dining than some peak times throughout the year).

4) Not to create a crazy stir, but whether the intention is as such or not, anytime someone specifically states they are counting on free dining, the perception is a sense of entitlement. Discounts are offered not because you need them, but because the Disney franchise needs them. They generate business, but to expect a company every single year at the same time of the year to continue to offer the same type of discount is impractical - unless you're talking retail stores and holiday offers. Keep in mind though, even then the same offers are not repeated every single year.

My point? We are all human beings with opinions. What started out as a perceived friendly banter turned into a perceived breakdown of courtesy and manners. Can't we all just get along?
__________________
June 2014 - BWI; May/June 2013 - POR; May/June 2012 - POFQ; Sept 2011 - POFQ for MNSSHP; Nov 2010 - AKL for MMVCP; July 2010 - Pop Century for 4th of July; May/June 2010 - Contemporary; Apr 2010 - CBR; Nov 2009 - POR for MMVCP[/B]
RedsDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #28
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,665

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post

I hope that you don't think that my post is 'opening fire' on you. I am merely probing an apparent difference in opinion.
And this is the important part. We disagree and that is perfectly ok. there are two established sides to this and that presents no problem.

Your take and mine are ok...though i'm still gonna say you shouldn't get free food if you pay $400 a night for a disney room. I know them inside and out...can't tell you how overpriced that is. And its a frivolous expense. Which means "free dining" doesn't fit.

That's a philosophical debate. I'll die on that hill.

I should preface the whole discussion that i'm not just against "free dining"...i'm adamantly against the dining plan as a whole. I was when i actually used it the first year or so and have been preaching doom and gloom on it ever since.

I thought it would allow them to jack up their prices, lower standards and quality across the board, and kill the casual atmosphere and booking system that was perhaps the BEST feature of WDW for 20 years.

And unfortunately that's what has happened.

Free dining not only allowed them to shove the whole dining scheme down everybody's throat...but continues to perpetuate it.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 03-28-2013 at 01:19 PM.
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #29
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,665

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsDrew View Post
Man, everyday it seems that I come across multiple posts where people just don't have patience for each others' views.

1) After reading this thread, I am stating that I have the right to speak up about what I'm reading because there's no warning ahead of the thread telling me not to read it because people aren't being politely tolerant of each other's view points/opinions.

2) After reading this thread, don't bother telling me to simply avoid the DIS as a previous poster was told to stop going to Disney because he simply expressed his view.

3) In the past, I too have taken advantage of free dining promotions, so while I understand why everyone likes free dining from a financial savings aspect, I too can understand some of the posts against free dining which cite quality and overall negative impacts to the wholistic theme park experience (I personally have experienced longer food lines and table waits even with reservations during free dining than some peak times throughout the year).

4) Not to create a crazy stir, but whether the intention is as such or not, anytime someone specifically states they are counting on free dining, the perception is a sense of entitlement. Discounts are offered not because you need them, but because the Disney franchise needs them. They generate business, but to expect a company every single year at the same time of the year to continue to offer the same type of discount is impractical - unless you're talking retail stores and holiday offers. Keep in mind though, even then the same offers are not repeated every single year.

My point? We are all human beings with opinions. What started out as a perceived friendly banter turned into a perceived breakdown of courtesy and manners. Can't we all just get along?
excellent
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #30
dadddio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Your take and mine are ok...though i'm still gonna say you shouldn't get free food if you pay $400 a night for a disney room. I know them inside and out...can't tell you how overpriced that is. And its a frivolous expense. Which means "free dining" doesn't fit.
I think that I understand the disconnect.

I think that you equate free dining with some kind of charity, for lack of a better way to put it. As such, it should only be offered to people who actually need it. That's where the disconnect is because people who need charity should not be considering such an expensive vacation.

I see free dining as a discount; a price reduction; a sale. As such, it doesn't really matter if the offer is free dining or a discounted room rate or whatever. It also doesn't matter if the person 'needs' the discount, or not. Any person who satisfies the conditions of the offer can take advantage of the offer.

As far as people 'counting' on free dining. I think that people are really 'hoping' for free dining (or a similar discount). There's nothing wrong with hoping for a discount, right?
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
free dining



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.