Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

I fly every week..

For most of us the airline is going to make me sick really isn't supported by facts. If you have a normal immune system it's probably LESS dangerous then Disney. But of course who get's "blamed"? The airplane. The air is mixed with outside air. Studies have shown it's not the 'germ filled' basis folks think it is, but.... It is MUCH drier then normal air which may be why it creates problems if you have asthma or other respiratory issues.

If you immune system has issues then of course you should take more precautions, but honestly for most of us Disney is a MUCH bigger risk then the plane.

And don't count on an empty plane. Haven't been on one that wasn't PACKED in months!
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #17
nhmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SpoiledPrincesses View Post
I always travel with a mask for my daughter. It's a custom made one that fits her face. She's really small for her age.

I don't necessarily need a front row seat. Just one in the first 10 rows or so. The worst flights for my daughter are the ones that have large screens with a movie playing. She can't watch it at all. I will have a backpack with me and my 9 year old will have a small backpack with her.

My 9 year old has sat beside us before or in front of us before. She's okay with it. She usually chooses a window seat and goes to sleep.

Thanks for all the thoughts.
Not as a replacement for the front of the plane but for motion sickness seabands work great they work on pressure points and can be purchased at almost any drug store.
nhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
TXMemaw
Mouseketeer

Definitely preboard with the blue sleeve. You won't be taking someone else's place and those on your flight will appreciate that you did preboard if they know what all you have to do.

I had knee replacement surgery last year which took much longer to recover from than I had anticipated. I travel quite a bit on SW and so have A-List status which assigns me a boarding pass at the front of the A's (starting with A16) in front of the those who do EBCI. Anyway, I had A17 on the first flight that I took by myself after surgery (2 1/2 months postop) and I felt funny getting a preboard sleeve even though I needed a cane at that time to walk any distance. I had A17 so thought, I'm at the front of the line so no need to preboard. I went on with the regular passengers and was going so slow that I managed to create a traffic jam behind me down the jetway by the time I got to the plane since no one wanted to pass me. I did use the preboard for my trip home that weekend.
TXMemaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #19
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

try for preboard and use unscented wipes. if in front row, no place but over head for backpacks with things for the kids to do. you can not get to the over heads if seatbelt sign on. also if the plane is coming from somewhere else those people will be on plane before you and can have front rows even with preboard. carseat will have to go in window seat. with younger daughter's imune issues i would be more worried about line at security as close as they keep people.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #20
3SpoiledPrincesses
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
I fly every week..

For most of us the airline is going to make me sick really isn't supported by facts. If you have a normal immune system it's probably LESS dangerous then Disney. But of course who get's "blamed"? The airplane. The air is mixed with outside air. Studies have shown it's not the 'germ filled' basis folks think it is, but.... It is MUCH drier then normal air which may be why it creates problems if you have asthma or other respiratory issues.

If you immune system has issues then of course you should take more precautions, but honestly for most of us Disney is a MUCH bigger risk then the plane.

And don't count on an empty plane. Haven't been on one that wasn't PACKED in months!
I do blame the airplane/airport for us getting sick. It's hard to believe that we spent 10 days at a family members house with 10+ other people and we were the only family that got sick. If we got it from one of them surely someone else in the family would have gotten sick. I don't necessarily think that it's from the air, but possibly from us touching something at an airport restaurant, the row of chairs that we were sitting in while waiting, maybe even from the tray tables. Typically when someone in our immediate household gets sick it's one or two of us, not all 5 of us.

I am more concerned about the germs on the seats/tray tables/window shade/window/etc... and from the people around us than the recirculated airplane air. My kids are really good about not touching everything, but sometimes they do so I want to wipe everything down. I always turn off the vents because the air is dry and humidity is low and in general we all just feel better when we deplane when we have the air not blowing on us.

I always travel with a cloth mask for my little one and only use if I think that it's needed. I also always have disposable ones with us too just in case there is someone sitting by us that is visibly sick or coughing. It's just an extra layer of protection. It's not fun being sick on vacation. My kids haven't been sick in over a year, so I want to keep it that way.
3SpoiledPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #21
3SpoiledPrincesses
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmommy View Post
Not as a replacement for the front of the plane but for motion sickness seabands work great they work on pressure points and can be purchased at almost any drug store.
I recently bought her a seaband. It didn't work for the car so I am not sure if it will work for the airplane. I am going to bring it with me and try it.

When I was a kid I got carsick/airplane sick. It was terrible. My parents always traveled at night so that I could sleep. Sleeping helped me to not throw up. I grew out of it, so I hope that my daughter eventually does as well.
3SpoiledPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
nhmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SpoiledPrincesses View Post
I recently bought her a seaband. It didn't work for the car so I am not sure if it will work for the airplane. I am going to bring it with me and try it.

When I was a kid I got carsick/airplane sick. It was terrible. My parents always traveled at night so that I could sleep. Sleeping helped me to not throw up. I grew out of it, so I hope that my daughter eventually does as well.

Yeah motion sickness stinks! Be sure the position of the seabands is right and check into "preggie" pops they're for morning sickness but they help with nausea associated with motion sickness.
nhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: