Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Help!? AKL or Poly??

I was certain we were going to stay at AKL (even booked it already) but now I'm considering staying at the Poly. We are going in Oct for 10 days with DH and 2 boys under 6. What resort would you stay at and why? Its about a $600 difference, is it worth it?
I'm soooo stuck!!!! Thanks
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Poly is my absolute favorite.

The Poly always makes it feel like a vacation.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

I love AKL! But haven't stayed at the Poly. You will have fun at either one. If you are going to the MK a lot, you might want the Poly because of the monorail. Although, the last time I was at WDW, the monorail was sporadically stopped for repairs.
AJKMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Two of our favorite resorts! We are also going in Oct (4-13) and staying at AKL.

We stayed at AKL for our 1st visit to WDW and thought it was a perfect 1st resort. The theme is amazing, beautiful rooms and lobby. Bus service is excellent and great food options. Feels like you are on an African safari and it's very quiet.

The Poly is our favorite. Huge rooms, awesome location and day bed in every room. Feels like your in the middle of everything. Watching Wishes from the beach/pool or GCH is heaven!

With kids that age, both resorts are appealing. If you want a little more space in your room, go for the Poly. The day beds are comfy and a great option. AKL has bunkbeds, if your kids don't like to sleep together. The Poly is very convenient to MK and EPCOT and the bus service was great for us.

Either way, they are great resorts

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinkerfrosch View Post
I was certain we were going to stay at AKL (even booked it already) but now I'm considering staying at the Poly. We are going in Oct for 10 days with DH and 2 boys under 6. What resort would you stay at and why? Its about a $600 difference, is it worth it?
I'm soooo stuck!!!! Thanks
We've stayed at both and while we love AKL, the Poly is our favorite and that would be our choice without question. We love the Poly for the tropical atmosphere, larger room, being just 2 monorail stops away from MK, being within walking distance to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail, the volcano pool as it backs up to the beach with a view of the castle in the distance, the beach for watching the fireworks, convenience to the CR and GF for a variety of dining options, and Captain Cooks for quick meals/snacks (which is our favorite resort CS). With all of that said, AKL is a beautiful resort and I'm sure you will have a great trip no matter which one you choose, but if you will be spending a lot of time at MK, the Poly would be the most convenient (especially if you will be taking breaks during the day and going back to the resort). Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
mmmears
DIS Veteran

We love them both, and have done several split-stays at those two. IMO that's the best since you get to experience both for 4-5 days each, but I know that not everyone likes to switch hotels in the middle of their vacation.

If I had to pick one... It's hard. We love AKL and the animals, theming, etc. We also really like the larger rooms and better transportation at the Poly. I don't mind the buses at AKL, but I might if I stayed there for 10 days straight. Poly will give you more options for parks and dining without taking a bus... and will be easier to come back to for pool time or a nap in the afternoon.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
DisGirlAllie
I can bust some pretty smooth moves
I get goosebumps and feel the magic

Have you stayed at AKL before? We love AKL but given the choice, and if money wasn't a huge factor, we'd try Poly. Either resort is excellent so I'm sure you'd be happy with either

Just to note, I've found that AKL is kind of a PITA for transportation. If you have a car or a lot of patience, then great. I always figured (and could be wrong) that staying at a monorail resort meant transportation was less of an issue.

"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
~ Walt Disney

DisGirlAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

The moment the Poly becomes affordable by renting DVC points, we will be there. In the meantime, I am an AKL girl! If $ were no object, I would absolutely try it next time!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

AKL has many charms. We used to enjoy it before our family became too large (trying DVC there is on our to do list). We always visit for a meal and to enjoy the ambiance now. We find the rooms small, even when it was just 4 of us, and very far from everything if using bus transportation.

That said, for $600 over 10 nights, the Poly is a no brainer for me, especially with the renovation. The only Poly cons are the too small pool, no hot tub (if that is your thing, but they may be putting one in sometime this year) and sharing busses with other resorts. We love the Poly.

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisGirlAllie View Post
Have you stayed at AKL before? We love AKL but given the choice, and if money wasn't a huge factor, we'd try Poly. Either resort is excellent so I'm sure you'd be happy with either

Just to note, I've found that AKL is kind of a PITA for transportation. If you have a car or a lot of patience, then great. I always figured (and could be wrong) that staying at a monorail resort meant transportation was less of an issue.
I have not stayed at AKL before. I haven't been to Disney since 2005, and this will be my boys 1st time along with my DH.

So many great points by everyone. I'm still unsure...
Old 03-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjersnap View Post
AKL has many charms. We used to enjoy it before our family became too large (trying DVC there is on our to do list). We always visit for a meal and to enjoy the ambiance now. We find the rooms small, even when it was just 4 of us, and very far from everything if using bus transportation.

That said, for $600 over 10 nights, the Poly is a no brainer for me, especially with the renovation. The only Poly cons are the too small pool, no hot tub (if that is your thing, but they may be putting one in sometime this year) and sharing busses with other resorts. We love the Poly.
The pool is a big factor. That's why I decided on AKL over WL was because AKL has 2 great pools and 2 waterside.
Is the pool that small at the Poly??
Old 03-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
We love them both, and have done several split-stays at those two. IMO that's the best since you get to experience both for 4-5 days each, but I know that not everyone likes to switch hotels in the middle of their vacation.

If I had to pick one... It's hard. We love AKL and the animals, theming, etc. We also really like the larger rooms and better transportation at the Poly. I don't mind the buses at AKL, but I might if I stayed there for 10 days straight. Poly will give you more options for parks and dining without taking a bus... and will be easier to come back to for pool time or a nap in the afternoon.
We had considered a split stay, but its very confusing with tickets/dining plan. I am hoping for a good discount on the room rate and paying OOP for the dining plan, but if I did the discount (if one becomes available) can I do a split stay and apply the discount to each reservation?
I love the idea of a split stay, and getting to experience both resorts.
This is all new to me, so any info is greatly appreciated, thank-you!!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post

We have a lot of ADR's..is it difficult to get to them? For example we have;
*Chef Mickey's
*Ohana dinner and breakfast
*Cape May Chef
*Boma (if we stay at AKL)
*T-rex
And others that we will do while in the parks.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

Quote:
The pool is a big factor. That's why I decided on AKL over WL was because AKL has 2 great pools and 2 waterside.
We were there two summers ago and I don't have any complaints about the size of the pool. I would say it was semi-crowded, but not cramped, if that makes sense. They did a great job of checking resort IDs (and they DID asks unregistered guests to leave), and the activity group that did the games by the pool was great. They played wonderful music and had some fantastic games for the kids. All in all, I had planned on a very cramped, tiny pool with lots of pool hoppers, and found none of that. We found it to be very pleasant.

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL

Last edited by dfarner; 03-26-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: spelling
dfarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

Quote:
It isn't teeny tiny but it can get pretty crowded. It is a little too small for the resort's size, IMO. We spend more time at the quiet pool, to be honest, though my kids enjoy the volcano slide.

ETA: if you go down the page to "recreation and fun", there are many pics of the volcano pool for you to gauge the relative size. http://allears.net/acc/g_poly.htm

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04

Last edited by jenjersnap; 03-26-2013 at 05:29 PM.
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: