Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #46
jamelynn24
Mouseketeer

We are here now...wish I could post a pic from my phone because I have a great one of Main Street at noon today!! Wall to wall people!!

We arrived at MK at 6:50am for EMH. Between 7-8am, we rode Space twice and Buzz twice. Then we did Little Mermaid, met Ariel, Pooh, tea cups, Peter Pan, pirates, big thunder, haunted mansion and jungle cruise by 11. We ate lunch at 11, did the people mover and decided to get the heck out by noon!!
For as crowded as it was by noon, I am grateful that we all got up at 5:30am and could get all of this done! We even used three fast passes!
Now the kids are sleeping
jamelynn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #47
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooffer View Post
WOW! I am so nervous about next year's Spring Break Family Reunion! I have tried to discourage my mom for booking it this week before Easter, but I cannot. Not only is it the week before Easter and the regular Spring Breakers... but schools that only do April vacations, regardless of the Easter holiday will be out too (which is us). So, 2014 will be miserably packed!

So, can someone tell me about the Phase closings, we will be off-site, so we would be out at Phase 1. When do they make these decisions? Before or after Rope Drop? As the parking lot fills?
Not sure if anyone else answered this, but Easter is late next year, so you probably won't have college "spring break" kids to deal with. Of course, the Easter crowd will still be there.
AJKMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #48
mnmhouston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Lady View Post
Just signed into the MDE app to see how bad it really is...

at 1pm
BTMRR- 85min
Buzz- 65min
HM- 60min
Peter Pan- 105min
SpaceM- 125min
Jungle Cruise- 105min

Soarin'- 155min
TT- 150min
MS- 105min

RnR- 90min
ToT- 90min
TSMM: 165min
Star Tours: 60min

Dinosaur- 70min
EE- 85min
Safari- 110min
Kali- 5min (must be too cold??)
OUCH!!!
5 or 6 times as a kid, no idea when I went or where I stayed NYE 1999 Coronado Springs October 2005 Old Key West November 2006 Pop Century September 2007 Pop Century August 2010 Pop Century August 2011 Pop Century April 2013 AoA LM
mnmhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #49
Dash&Maggie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT View Post
Was that this year? I was in Disney - must have happened while I was in a different park - it was DHS that went to phase 3?
Yes, this past February, I think we were there on the 16th, a Saturday. Maybe the CM's were referring to ToT being in phase III? It was extremely crowded. FWIW, BATB was not currently playing or had just let out.

When we were planning our trip to be over President's Day weekend this year I knew the crowd levels would be up but never expected them to be as bad as when we went over spring break in March 2010 - they were worse!

Art of Animation - Cars Suites February 2013; Disneyland Hotel June 2011; Pop Century March 2010, Sept. 2008, Sept. 2005;
All-Star Movies Feb. 2002; All-Star Music and CBR March 1996; WDW off-site stays 1993, 1994; First trip to MK/Epcot June 1986
Dash&Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #50
LisaTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Lady View Post
Just signed into the MDE app to see how bad it really is...

at 1pm
BTMRR- 85min
Buzz- 65min
HM- 60min
Peter Pan- 105min
SpaceM- 125min
Jungle Cruise- 105min

Soarin'- 155min
TT- 150min
MS- 105min

RnR- 90min
ToT- 90min
TSMM: 165min
Star Tours: 60min

Dinosaur- 70min
EE- 85min
Safari- 110min
Kali- 5min (must be too cold??)
We went to HS over Thanksgiving 2011... and TSMM was 210 min!! 165 seems pretty good Kidding!!!
2005 - Coronado Springs (couples trip with my then fiance, now DH)
Nov 2011 - POR, DDs first trip
Feb 2012 - POR
Feb 2013 - POR
July 29-August 3, 2013 - Bonnet Creek
August 3 - August 6th, 2013 - Pop Century
Oct 6-11, 2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP
February 2-7, AoA, Cars Suite
May 23-25 - Sarratoga Springs, Treehouses
June 6-12 Art of Animation, Little Mermaid Room
*** September 21-28th, POR
*** June 1-5 Disney Dream Cruise, First Cruise!
LisaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #51
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJKMOM View Post
Not sure if anyone else answered this, but Easter is late next year, so you probably won't have college "spring break" kids to deal with. Of course, the Easter crowd will still be there.
So, is it this crowded because it's the last week of March, or because it's the week before Easter?

Our break is always the last week in March, and I thinking next year would not be as crowded because Easter is late. Now I'm not so sure!
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #52
kangaroodle
DVC Member

Just left AK. We got there when it opened (8am), rode Everest 2x, Safari, Primeval Whirl, and Dinosaur all before lunch at 11:30. Then did Lion King show, wandered thru shops, had ice cream and did Maharajah Trail. Out of there by 2pm and had done all we wanted to do. Made use of FP's. Taking it easy tonight as we r going to MK at 6:30 am tomorrow. Have used Josh's recommendations last 2 days.....so far, so good!

Just visited March 25-29th.....CRAZY week!

Mark Kathy Kelly Jeff Boomer
kangaroodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #53
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by penchris View Post
We were at MK Fri 03/22/2013, the estimated arrival day for the heaviest of the Spring Breakers. We had an early pre-open breakfast ressie at Crystal Palace, and were inside the park for rope drop. That seemed to give us an edge on getting pretty smoothly to all the E-ticket rides before about 11:00am-ish when the heaviest of the crowds started arriving.

The rest of the day, and especially in areas where parades/shows que up, was "sardines in a can" packed with guests. We used the railroad to get around the park, because the forward progress walking was down to a shuffle, and our group of four kept getting forcibly separated by various combinations of strollers, double-strollers, scooters, school groups, etc. Thank goodness we did not have any small kids with us or it would have been very stressful keeping track of everyone. The crowd stayed shoulder to shoulder until around 6-7pm when the light rain came. By fireworks time, the park had thinned considerably, but was still "busy" until close.

IMHO, if you are OK with being in a shopping mall at Christmas, stuck in a packed elevator, or at Times Square New Years Eve, then don't let a phase 3 Spring Break crowd stop you from the fun of MK. We had a blast and would do it again with an small group of older kids and/or adults. Do not waste your time or money if you have crowd issues, or get easily frustrated with waiting for things. There are much better times to go.
This was our experience on Friday as well. We rope dropped EPCOT and the crowds were considerably less there we rode test track x2, picked up Soarin fastpasses, did figment, walked around the flower and garden setups, got lunch in France and went back to ride Soarin before noon. We headed to MK about noon and crowds were CRAZY. I think the only reason the crowds thinned out before firewroks was the rain. It poured a couple of times throught the afternoon and drove people out. We jst put on our ponchos and soldiered on. We were focused on playing Sorcerers more than rides, but even there we often had lines 4 deep for portals, which we haven't encountered playing before. We finished our game about 8:30 and got out before the parade rolled.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #54
tmbacon
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamelynn24 View Post
We are here now...wish I could post a pic from my phone because I have a great one of Main Street at noon today!! Wall to wall people!!

We arrived at MK at 6:50am for EMH. Between 7-8am, we rode Space twice and Buzz twice. Then we did Little Mermaid, met Ariel, Pooh, tea cups, Peter Pan, pirates, big thunder, haunted mansion and jungle cruise by 11. We ate lunch at 11, did the people mover and decided to get the heck out by noon!!
For as crowded as it was by noon, I am grateful that we all got up at 5:30am and could get all of this done! We even used three fast passes!
Now the kids are sleeping
OK so now you're giving me some hope that we'll be able to maneuver MK - we'll be there next week on Friday, plan to do EMH @7 and get outta there by noon and on to another park. Planning seems to be the key here!! (and a whole lotta patience)
Disney resorts: Animal Kingdom, Grand Floridian, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Port Orleans French Quarter (twice), Pop Century, Coronado Springs, Villas @ Wilderness Lodge, and a few off-site hotels too.
Did our FIRST Disney Cruise Spring Break 2010.

tmbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #55
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

I canít take my child out of school either, but oh how I wish. It's either Spring Break, Christmas or summer for us. She is honor roll but that is a team effort and her literally busting her behind (Dyslexic/ADHD). We were at MK for one day during her fall break (originally a trip to Sea World) and it was wonderful. It wasnít too hot, wasnít too cold, about a 6 out of 10. We were there from open to close doing whatever we wanted as many times as we wanted. We did 30 park hours in those 3 days (2 days at Sea World and one day at MK) and no one was even tired.

We went the last week of June last year and we had a good time despite how Debby poured on us for days. Iím planning for the first week of June this time. Iíve experienced a 9 at MK and a 9.5 at Epcot and we did fine, but it was Thanksgiving week and even though it was our first trip, I had already spent months here on this site and knew what to expect. After that a 7/10 is nothing. I canít imagine going there having no idea what was waiting.

I have a couple of facebook friends who I know will be going and I know they have no clue. I told them to get up as early as they could to get to wherever they were going.

One of them was talking about waiting until they got there to see if her daughter wanted to do BBB before she tried to make an appointment. I told her to call now and not mention it to her daughter.

I decided on this trip 3 weeks ago. It is in 2 months and it took 3 calls to get a BBB appointment in MK and it is at 5pm.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #56
kangaroodle
DVC Member

Another question about Phase closings.... What happens if we go to MK, bail outta there at 1ish, then want to go back later? We r DVC members staying on site but no Hoppers this trip. I know they guarantee you entrance into A park (doesn't have to be the one you want to enter), but without Hoppers am I SOL if there is a closing? We plan to get there at 6:30am.

Just visited March 25-29th.....CRAZY week!

Mark Kathy Kelly Jeff Boomer
kangaroodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #57
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroodle View Post
Another question about Phase closings.... What happens if we go to MK, bail outta there at 1ish, then want to go back later? We r DVC members staying on site but no Hoppers this trip. I know they guarantee you entrance into A park (doesn't have to be the one you want to enter), but without Hoppers am I SOL if there is a closing? We plan to get there at 6:30am.
If you are on site or have, ADR with written proof or fall into some other categories you are some of the last people let in but if its at stage 4 no one is let in no matter what.

And I have heard that you would be directed to a ticket booth if you wanted to upgrade to a hopper. Good news is that it will probably open back up again in the late afternoon as people start to leave.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #58
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash&Maggie View Post
Yes, this past February, I think we were there on the 16th, a Saturday. Maybe the CM's were referring to ToT being in phase III? It was extremely crowded. FWIW, BATB was not currently playing or had just let out.

When we were planning our trip to be over President's Day weekend this year I knew the crowd levels would be up but never expected them to be as bad as when we went over spring break in March 2010 - they were worse!
Ah...we arrived on the 26th. Didn't go to the parks until the 17th. I did Josh's parks all week and it was crowded in the afternoons, but really not bad. I think there was one day where I could have just gone back to the resort around 2 (we don't take breaks, lol).
Mesboy was there for some of it too...I think I remember him saying that Epcot was "slammed" on a day when I thought it wasn't too bad...so, obviously, I have a very high tolerance for pain....

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #59
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
So, is it this crowded because it's the last week of March, or because it's the week before Easter?

Primarily because it's the week before Easter.

Last week of March next year should be a whole different story.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #60
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroodle View Post
To add to what chartle said, you also have some priority to enter if you're re-entering the same park. Not in all phases, but some.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: