Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
JVig
Mouseketeer

Apps on Dining Plan?

Hi:

I'm planning our first Disney World trip and when I spoke with someone on the phone at Disney, I asked about the Dining Plan. I explained that my husband and I are not big dessert people. The person on the phone said some restaurants will let you get an app instead of dessert.

Is this true, or am I being fed a line of bull by someone who wants to convince me to get the dining plan.

Thanks in advance!!!
Jess
JVig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
momto3pirates
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVig View Post
Hi:

I'm planning our first Disney World trip and when I spoke with someone on the phone at Disney, I asked about the Dining Plan. I explained that my husband and I are not big dessert people. The person on the phone said some restaurants will let you get an app instead of dessert.

Is this true, or am I being fed a line of bull by someone who wants to convince me to get the dining plan.

Thanks in advance!!!
Jess
Not true. They will not let you substitute. If you are not big dessert eaters, really run the numbers on the dining plan. It just does not make financial sense for everyone.
2005-Port Orleans Riverside
2006-summer-All Star Sports,Thanksgiving-AS Music
2007-Adults only anniversary trip-AKL
2008- summer PoP
2009-summer-AKV,MNSSHP-SSR
2010-summer at BLT,Thanksgiving at POP
2011-summer at BLT, Thanksgiving at GCH
2012-summer DLH, Thanksgiving-AKL-Jambo
2013-summer VGC, Thanksgiving-US/IOA
2014-summer VGC, Thanksgiving-AKL
momto3pirates is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi:

The person on the phone said some restaurants will let you get an app instead of dessert.

Thanks in advance!!!
Jess
Maybe some, but highly doubtful and probably only due to unusual circumstances. For your first trip you may want to make some reseravtions if you want to do Table Service (waitress/waiter) meals, but you don't need any Dining Plan. Stay away from the Dining Plan for your first trip (especially if you don't have kids).
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!

Quote:
Hi:

Thanks in advance!!!
Jess
Absolutely not true, no restaurant will let you sub an appetizer for a dessert. Appetizers tend to cost almost double what a typical dessert would.

Skylarr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
JVig
Mouseketeer

Wow. Okay, I'm glad I asked this question!

I've been getting a lot of mixed messages about the Dining Plan. I've had several friends who have been tell me I absolutely should have the plan, and then a couple of people who said its not worth it. Seems like based on the no subs for apps, it probably def doesn't make sense for us. I do have reservations at a few places (Cinderella's Royal Table and Be Our Guest) to make it really special for my daughter (she's turning 5 the week we're going). For CRT, I have already paid out of pocket, so I wasn't even planning to use the dining plan for that one.

Anyways, thanks for the info. You guys are great.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
momto3pirates
DIS Veteran

You can look at the menus for the places you are considering and price out what you think you will eat. Compare that to what the DDP will cost. Remember CRT is 2 TS credits. For my family, the DDP is just not the way we like to eat. We tend to share meals, snacking our way through the world. My kids would rather be playing at WDW than eating. Ts meals just take too much time. We do 2-3 TS meals for a whole 5-6 day trip. The rest is grab and go, quick service or snacks.
2005-Port Orleans Riverside
2006-summer-All Star Sports,Thanksgiving-AS Music
2007-Adults only anniversary trip-AKL
2008- summer PoP
2009-summer-AKV,MNSSHP-SSR
2010-summer at BLT,Thanksgiving at POP
2011-summer at BLT, Thanksgiving at GCH
2012-summer DLH, Thanksgiving-AKL-Jambo
2013-summer VGC, Thanksgiving-US/IOA
2014-summer VGC, Thanksgiving-AKL
momto3pirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow. Okay, I'm glad I asked this question!

I've been getting a lot of mixed messages about the Dining Plan. I've had several friends who have been tell me I absolutely should have the plan, and then a couple of people who said its not worth it. Seems like based on the no subs for apps, it probably def doesn't make sense for us. I do have reservations at a few places (Cinderella's Royal Table and Be Our Guest) to make it really special for my daughter (she's turning 5 the week we're going). For CRT, I have already paid out of pocket, so I wasn't even planning to use the dining plan for that one.

Anyways, thanks for the info. You guys are great.
After reading your original post, I thought it was just you and your husband, so i thought no Dining Plan based upon the app/dessert issue. But now that you have thrown a child into the mix, the picture does change a bit. But i stil think no Dining Plan.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
JVig
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
After reading your original post, I thought it was just you and your husband, so i thought no Dining Plan based upon the app/dessert issue. But now that you have thrown a child into the mix, the picture does change a bit. But i stil think no Dining Plan.
Now that I look at how I worded, I can see why you thought that.... I meant my husband and I aren't big dessert people. My daughter, on the other hand, definitely is!!!

I think I'll take the suggestion of going through menus and figuring out how much we are likely to spend to compare. I also think there is some value in just knowing its all paid for ahead of time, but not sure if that's enough to make it worthwhile.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Now that I look at how I worded, I can see why you thought that.... I meant my husband and I aren't big dessert people. My daughter, on the other hand, definitely is!!!

I think I'll take the suggestion of going through menus and figuring out how much we are likely to spend to compare. I also think there is some value in just knowing its all paid for ahead of time, but not sure if that's enough to make it worthwhile.
To each, their own. I don't like the fact that by being on the Dining Plan you have to pay Disney ahead of time for food you have not yet eaten and won't eat for 45 days (or so). And what if someone gets sick and you don;t use your credits "properly"? Or you decide that you are having too much fun and don't want to stop for a meal at that moment? Or have to travel to another park/resort for meal. And what if you aren't super hungey and don't want to order the expensive items (so as to maximize your value). Plus for you guys you have the app/dessert thing. I say skip the Dining Plan. You can stil eat at any restaurant you want (assuming there is availability) without the Dining Plan. And you might still save money (or not spend a lot more).
Old 03-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Maybe some, but highly doubtful and probably only due to unusual circumstances. For your first trip you may want to make some reseravtions if you want to do Table Service (waitress/waiter) meals, but you don't need any Dining Plan. Stay away from the Dining Plan for your first trip (especially if you don't have kids).
Even with unusual circumstances they don't allow it. Ever. We've been in restaurants where the only thing my kids can have for dessert is fruit and others where the only thing they can have is plain soy ice cream yet they still wouldn't let us get something non-dessert even served at dessert time therefore not making our meal any longer (time is a big reason why they don't allow the substitution; if two people are dining and one person gets an app to split while the other gets a dessert to split then the meal takes longer with no extra revenue for the restaurant).

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
purple figment
DIS Veteran

One of the hard and fast rules of the regular dining plan is that you cannot substitute an appetizer for a dessert.

At best there are a few places that might let you order the cheese plate for dessert, but not as an app. Also a few restaurants have a prix fixe menu (e.g. Les Chefs) that includes an appetizer which many of the DDP like because it is an opportunity to have an app included. Two places (Monsieur Paul and Marrakesh) have an upcharge for the prix fixe.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Even with unusual circumstances they don't allow it. Ever.
what if they ran out of dessert?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
what if they ran out of dessert?
OK, you've got me there. I would think that in this case they'd have bigger problems than what's allowed using the DDP.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
chs27
Mouseketeer

Understand that Disney is on 43 square miles. There is no cheap food, across the street or anywhere. It's my experience that if you pay beforehand, it doesn't hurt as bad. Unless you want to put food in a backpack, get the dining plan.
chs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs27
Understand that Disney is on 43 square miles. There is no cheap food, across the street or anywhere. It's my experience that if you pay beforehand, it doesn't hurt as bad. Unless you want to put food in a backpack, get the dining plan.
I respectfully 100% disagree.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: