Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #31
GBBTomorrow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayDisney View Post
I'm training for the fall marathon season and will be running 13 miles on the ship! The GPS won't work and I don't have a foot pod. I was trying to come up with a more creative ways to count laps, since, doing the math on a quarter mile per lap, it's over 50 that I will be running! I guess it's better than the treadmill, but I might get nauseous from the circling ! Ha ha ha
I wish I had this little device my uncle used at the grocery store when I was a kid back in the dark ages. It was a handheld clicker, and for each item you put in your cart, you clicked in the dollars and cents and it kept a total. It would have been the perfect handheld way to track these dozens of laps. I wonder if anything like that still exists. If I find out, I'll pass on the info.
GBBTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #32
CRSNDSNY

DVC Member
I think I need to go to confession

You're welcome. It's a cheap and easy way to keep track!

Quote:
This is actually a great idea - better than the sharpie for me cause I'm sure I would make a mess with that - ha ha ha. Regular rubber bands would work too. Thanks !! This board is so helpful !!��
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #33
bmahokie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm training for the fall marathon season and will be running 13 miles on the ship! The GPS won't work and I don't have a foot pod. I was trying to come up with a more creative ways to count laps, since, doing the math on a quarter mile per lap, it's over 50 that I will be running! I guess it's better than the treadmill, but I might get nauseous from the circling ! Ha ha ha
It's not a quarter mile per lap, it's .4 mile per lap. Don't want you to think you ate too much on the ship and suddenly got much slower!!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #34
Kalou2
Earning My Ears

I am also training for a fall marathon and just managed to get in a 46 mile week on the Fantasy. The best thing that I brought with me was my amphipod, Nunn tablets and an old-school lap counter that I found on Amazon. I really enjoyed my early morning runs!
Kalou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #35
DVCNuts
Platinum At Last!

When walking or running an odd number of miles on the Dream, we would start at the deck 4 forward port side door (near the theater) and count down the laps starting with the decorative wooden door outside The District clubs (Starboard aft). Made it easier than trying to remember half laps.

We always saw a lot of CMs going to work on that deck. We assumed it must be an easy transition from crew quarters to the rest of the ship. We even saw some of the performers in full makeup but no costumes when we walked while leaving CC.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #36
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

I thought I read something about a jogging path on deck 14 of the Fantasy? In the sports area? Can't seem to find more information, though.

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #37
AKchristmasqueen
Earning My Ears

The running track is on deck 4.
AKchristmasqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #38
nannylori
Mouseketeer

DH & I were on the 3/9 Fantasy. I've just started walking 5k's, so I needed to do some walking while on the cruise( also to " train " for theCC 5k).
We found that getting out on Deck 4 by 7am made all the difference.
Starting about 7:45, more people started showing up,about even numbers between walkers and joggers. But at 7, it was still pretty vacant.
I never noticed any mirrors - guess I was looking everywhere else but up there!
I used the muster station letter where we started as my lap counter. Since we were only walking 6 laps at a time,it wasn't a problem for us to keep track. But I would recommend using some kind of lap counter for those who plan on walking/ running many laps.
nannylori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #39
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannylori View Post
DH & I were on the 3/9 Fantasy. I've just started walking 5k's, so I needed to do some walking while on the cruise( also to " train " for theCC 5k).
We found that getting out on Deck 4 by 7am made all the difference.
Starting about 7:45, more people started showing up,about even numbers between walkers and joggers. But at 7, it was still pretty vacant.
I never noticed any mirrors - guess I was looking everywhere else but up there!
I used the muster station letter where we started as my lap counter. Since we were only walking 6 laps at a time,it wasn't a problem for us to keep track. But I would recommend using some kind of lap counter for those who plan on walking/ running many laps.
Did you see a walking trail on Goofy's Sports Deck? The plans show one...I was wondering how it differs from the one on Deck 4?

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #40
mrssmiddy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohs_hunny View Post
No, it's a regular wooden (I guess?) surface. The first sea day I ran shortly after we passed through a big rainstorm. The deck was still wet (and looked slippery!) and I was so afraid that my foot would hit a wet spot and I'd go flying. No worries, though! I didn't so much as skid.
I've only been on the Dream, but I'm guessing they are pretty similar. I believe it is a "synthetic" wood. DH and I have ran the Dream track many times and not had a problem with slipping. I would try to avoid obvious puddles, but I think it is made to not be too slippery. It's the same type of flooring that surrounds the pool decks.

Disney Fantasy 7-Night Western Caribbean - October 2013
Disney Dream 5-Night - July 2012
Disney Dream 5-Night - August 2011
mrssmiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #41
uziel5000
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohs_hunny View Post
No, it's a regular wooden (I guess?) surface. The first sea day I ran shortly after we passed through a big rainstorm. The deck was still wet (and looked slippery!) and I was so afraid that my foot would hit a wet spot and I'd go flying. No worries, though! I didn't so much as skid.
On the Fantasy, the surface looks like wood but its not. It's kind of a "rubberized" surface with the wood-like pattern painted on it. It's actually quite great for running and it prevents slipping pretty well. When you are running, your shoes make that high pitched sound like when you are in a Basketball court.

When I ran it, there was a cast member using one of those commercial floor cleaners (I don't know what they are called but they are pretty big) and the area he was working on was pretty wet yet I had not trouble running at my full pace through it. Though I felt pretty bad I kept running over his work.

On November 24, 2012, the Pink Elephants were on Parade in the Caribbean
uziel5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #42
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
2.5 laps is 1 mile. The track goes all the way around the ship and does not need to be closed during docking. Remember if you normally run with a GPS, it will not track correctly when the ship is moving.
Good to know.

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #43
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

I had really bad luck on our cruise. Every time I would get my running clothes and shoes on and head to deck 4 for a run I would get down there and find it was closed. Several times it was due to "incliment weather" and a couple times they had sections closed due to some maintenance they were doing. Granted I did not try to run in the early mornings I was trying to run when I could get away from the kids and the 2 year old was a bit mommy clingy so it wasn't happening as easy I would have liked. I did not get anywhere near the # of laps I wanted to get in on this cruise.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: