DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #1
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Newbie Renter Questions

My mother has some health issues that require her to be on a special diet. When we travel she loves to have the ability to fix her own breakfast in the mornings. With that in mind I'm trying to gather some info on staying DVC the next time my parents come to visit...probably a 1BR at the cheapest rate possible. No resort preference. Everything is very up in the air right now but they may be coming next February. I've done my best to research the answers to these questions myself and I apologize if they're common questions or are answered elsewhere. Mods, feel free to move this thread if I posted it in the wrong forum.

My questions are:

1) I've noticed that AKV seems to consistently be the cheapest point-wise. Why is that? Is it a less popular resort?

2) Is there a minimum stay when renting points?

3) If we were to try to rent a couple of months or less out, what kind of availability would we be looking at? Would this be possible at all?

4) If DVC is unavailable, are there any regular resorts that have something beyond a fridge and coffeemaker?

5) I've read that the lounge at BLT is now open to all DVC members, not just those staying at BLT. Is this also open to those staying on DVC points?

Thanks in advance!

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
DMKEDM
DIS Veteran

AKV Value is among the most inexpensive DVC points options--but it's also very very limited (in quantity)...it'll take a fair amount of luck for one to be available only a couple of months prior to your vacation. Standard view is less "expensive" than savannah view, but is also limited in quantity...savannah view (the bulk of the AKV villas) are on the high end in terms of points cost...

Actually, two months out everything will be on a limited availability basis...DVC is designed to operate at 95% (or more) capacity, and it most often hits the mark...but if you can plan further out than that, your best bet for least points cost will be OKW...it's a large (second-biggest) resort and therefore takes longer to fill up than any other resort except SSR (the largest, but mid-range in terms of points cost)...BWV standard view is also an inexpensive (in terms of points required) option--but like AKV value, the number of standard view villas is quite small (only 20% of the total villas available at BWV) and so finding availability at two months out will be somewhere between very difficult (basically, you'll have to luck into a cancellation happening right when your owner is calling to book) and impossible...

No minimum stays imposed by Disney, although owners w/points to rent may be hesitant to rent the small number of points (relatively speaking) required for just one or two nights...then again, some owners have only a few points to rent, so it could work out...

It's been a while since I stayed anywhere but DVC, but as I recall at least the deluxe resorts have a microwave in add'n to a small fridge and coffee maker...

DVC is in an "experimentation" phase during which DVC members staying on points in any DVC villa are allowed access to Top of the World Lounge...not sure when (if) that will end...and access to renters is spotty--some report no problem w/getting access when staying on rented points; others report having to have a member card, and thus not being allowed in, when staying on rented points..."the rule" is that the lounge is open only to DVC members (and those guests accompanying the members), but like most Disney rules, enforcement is spotty...

Good luck planning your trip!
DMKEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran

In regards to Top of the World lounge, you must be a dvc member to go up there and have a member card.

Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
abner1776
DIS Veteran

When you say "February" are you referring to early or late ? Early Feb will be far easier to find rooms at the DVC resorts than late Feb as you are then getting into school vacations and some early spring breakers.

SSR is usually the easiest resort to book at the last minute simply because it is the largest resort and it is not associated/connected with one of the four parks. The same goes for OKW but OKW does not always have the same availability as SSR.

I would be very surprised if you could not find any availability in early February even at 2 months out...once you hit Feb 15th, all bets are off.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
CarolynFH
Sometimes my daughter posts as me
TFs think that they need to do a "Freaky Friday"

Regarding other resorts that have kitchen facilities, the cabins at Fort Wilderness have a full kitchen, and they sleep six people.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for your input. If they come it will be the first full week in February - they would be coming primarily for an annual event in my neck of the woods but we'd be going over to Disney for a few days as well. Due to my Dad's work schedule, though, they may not know for sure whether or not they're coming until 1-2 months out. I know that's SUPER last minute for Disney planning, especially DVC, but it is what it is. Don't know if DVC will work out for us or not, but I know better what to expect now. Thanks!

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhopping View Post
Thank you all for your input. If they come it will be the first full week in February - they would be coming primarily for an annual event in my neck of the woods but we'd be going over to Disney for a few days as well. Due to my Dad's work schedule, though, they may not know for sure whether or not they're coming until 1-2 months out. I know that's SUPER last minute for Disney planning, especially DVC, but it is what it is. Don't know if DVC will work out for us or not, but I know better what to expect now. Thanks!
That's a bit too late for DVC. Since points go into holding if a member cancels 30 days or less out, most won't make a reservation for a non-member that late without full payment. Plus, availability just might not be there that late. Most members do not offer any cancellation policy. Meaning if you can't make it, you lose the money you already paid.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: