Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you do with passport while out at port?
Take passport out to port 34 28.33%
Leave passport in stateroom safe 86 71.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #31
sunshine1259
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobofan5 View Post
I made photocopies of ours and had them with us..just in case.

I didn't want them to be lost/stolen.

June 2004, WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, Bahama 3-Day Wonder
Sept 2007, WDW Beach Club Resort, Bahama 3-Day Wonder
Sept 2008, Bahama 4-Day Wonder
Aug 2009, WDW Port Orleans Riverside, Bahama 3-Day Wonder
Oct 2010, WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Magic
Jan 2011, LA Cruise to Nowhere 2-Day Wonder
Aug 2011, Alaska 7-Day Wonder
Sept 2012, Disneyland, Grand Californian Villas, Pixar California Coast Cruise 7-Day Wonder
Oct 20, 2012, WDW Animal Kingdom Villas, Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Fantasy

Numbers 10 and 11, B2B Dec 2013 3/4-Day Dream
sunshine1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #32
sambycat
DIS Veteran

i checked “leave it in room” but it really depends on where we are going and what we will be doing. i bring some kind of id with me. we left it onboard when we went on a snorkeling thing - i wasn’t sure how we would lock things up.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #33
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobofan5 View Post
I made photocopies of ours and had them with us..just in case.

I didn't want them to be lost/stolen.
We do the same thing.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Off-site 2015, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #34
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
I honestly don't know - what good does the photocopy do you?
The local consulate or embassy can provide a replacement MUCH faster and with less hassle if you have a photocopy handy. In my case, I did have a photocopy when my passport was stolen but it was in my luggage, which somehow stayed in Newark instead of coming to Spain. So I got a temp emergency passport that I had to replace full price within a couple months of getting home. I also faced a slew of questions upon re-entry to the US with my emergency temporary passport.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #35
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

I always leave my passport in the safe in the Stateroom or in a hotel room with the exception of Rome where DCL advised if you were going to the Vatican you needed your passport. The countries I have visited have advised me to leave the passport in the safe in the hotel room or the safe on the ship. On the US Department of State website they even advise you to carry a photocopy of your passport and leave the passport in the safe in certain countries.

If someone is not back when the ship is ready to leave DCL will get your passport from the safe in your room and leave it with the port agent. They have time because realistically it if they are leaving someone it is less than a handful.

As for the point of bringing my passport, even on a closed loop cruise, well that is a personal choice but for me it is the easier and I feel better having it.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #36
wifey1220
DIS Veteran

I thought I had to have pass port or birth certificate to get out of the port and back to the ship. I remember being told to go back and get my passport before leaving the ship in Nassau. So I do not need it to leave the foreign port???
2003 offsite, 2005 ASmovies and free dining, 2006 ASmovies and free dining, 2007 ASmusic and free dining, 2008 Pop Century and free dining, 2009 ASmusic and free dining, 2011 Disney cruise and Pop Century, 2012 Cruise on dream , 2013 Disney cruise on the Fantasy, 2013dcl dream and por free dining, 2014 dcl magic 3 nt and 7 nt eastern
wifey1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #37
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey1220 View Post
I thought I had to have pass port or birth certificate to get out of the port and back to the ship. I remember being told to go back and get my passport before leaving the ship in Nassau. So I do not need it to leave the foreign port???
In order to get on and off the ship, you need your KTTW card and a photo ID. If you didn't have a drivers license, then your passport would suffice. But no, generally, you do not need a passport to get off the ship.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #38
wifey1220
DIS Veteran

Good to know thank you. Do my kids need birth certificates ?
2003 offsite, 2005 ASmovies and free dining, 2006 ASmovies and free dining, 2007 ASmusic and free dining, 2008 Pop Century and free dining, 2009 ASmusic and free dining, 2011 Disney cruise and Pop Century, 2012 Cruise on dream , 2013 Disney cruise on the Fantasy, 2013dcl dream and por free dining, 2014 dcl magic 3 nt and 7 nt eastern
wifey1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #39
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenni View Post
The local consulate or embassy can provide a replacement MUCH faster and with less hassle if you have a photocopy handy. In my case, I did have a photocopy when my passport was stolen but it was in my luggage, which somehow stayed in Newark instead of coming to Spain. So I got a temp emergency passport that I had to replace full price within a couple months of getting home. I also faced a slew of questions upon re-entry to the US with my emergency temporary passport.
The photo copy advice is somewhat old. A better choice now is to scan your passport and upload an image to secure online storage such as box.com. That way you can print out a copy anywhere and anytime you have Internet access (which is pretty much everywhere now).
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #40
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey1220 View Post
Good to know thank you. Do my kids need birth certificates ?
Only when you initially check in at your originating port. Children only need their KTTW cards to get on and off the ship in ports.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #41
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

It depends on which ports. For Caribbean cruises where we're fairly close to the port, no. For our Med cruise the port city is just where we enter the country & our destination is an hour drive inland, I'd rather have it. I agree with OrangeCountyCommuter to carry it in a money belt. Should be easy when it's not a beach/swimming excursion.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #42
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
I don't think Disney has the time to go to your stateroom look for your passports and give them to the port officer if you are late /miss the ship.
I agree. I have never heard of this and would not expect DCL to be going through my room looking for my passport. What if it's not in the safe, do they tear the room apart looking for it?
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #43
julesthecircusfreak
Earning My Ears

I've read somewhere else on the forums that if you leave your passport with Guest Services at the beginning of the trip, they'll stamp it at every port for you? Is this true?
julesthecircusfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #44
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

I made black/white copies of ours. Should I re-copy in color?
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #45
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfromca View Post

The photo copy advice is somewhat old. A better choice now is to scan your passport and upload an image to secure online storage such as box.com. That way you can print out a copy anywhere and anytime you have Internet access (which is pretty much everywhere now).
Agreed, but I have certainly been places where there is no ready access to Internet - including the police station in Valencia. I do email myself a copy of my passport prior to travel - but having a paper copy in hand saves some aggravation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: