Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your report and the pictures!

Birthday Celebration on the Dream!
iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #17
mrsaunders
Earning My Ears

Great report....can't wait to hear more!
mrsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #18
susieyarb
Mouseketeer

So fun reading your report and look forward to hearing more, especially about Edge.
susieyarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #19
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

Great continuation of your report! yay! We've not been on the Magic since 2007, we are long over due to visit her in April
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
Karen87
Earning My Ears

Loving your report!

Enjoying your report so far. Can't wait to read the rest. My DH and I are sailing on the same 8 night cruise on April 26th. Woo hoo!

We have previously sailed on one of the older, smaller Carnival ships out of Port Canaveral, and it almost ruined us on cruising (we should have taken the Disney cruise). Our inside stateroom was so much smaller! We booked two rooms (one for DH and I, one for DD21 and DS17) because it was cheaper than sharing a room on the same three night DCL cruise.

The atrium was, well, neony (not sure that's a real word). In my daughter's words, "It looks like the Roxbury threw up in here."

Swore we would never cruise again - until DCL came to Galveston. We live about 4 hours away, and couldn't pass it up.

Thanks for sharing your story!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #21
MrsKP
Mouseketeer

Enjoying your report and all the photos. Sailing the Magic in June. Will be our first time on her. What category cabin did you have?

DH-Kevin Kerry DS-Jared (14) DD-Ellison (3)

Disney Wonder 2006
Disney Magic Mediterranean 2013

MrsKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #22
ASJMom
Earning My Ears

Enjoying your trip report as well. My family along with my sister and some of her family are going next month (22 days). I have a son with many issues; autism, OCD, and sensory issues to name a few. So I'm really interested in hearing how things go for you, your family and your son.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

ASJMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #23
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Enjoying your report and the pictures!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsaunders View Post
Great report....can't wait to hear more!
Thanks! I'm working on more right now instead of making dinner. Trip reports are more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieyarb View Post
So fun reading your report and look forward to hearing more, especially about Edge.
I have lots more to say about the Edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrunty View Post
Great continuation of your report! yay! We've not been on the Magic since 2007, we are long over due to visit her in April
I hope you'll find her as lovely as we did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen87 View Post
Enjoying your report so far. Can't wait to read the rest. My DH and I are sailing on the same 8 night cruise on April 26th. Woo hoo!
Woo hoo indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKP View Post
Enjoying your report and all the photos. Sailing the Magic in June. Will be our first time on her. What category cabin did you have?
10c I believe. It had a split bath and was 214 square feet. And we used every inch of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJMom View Post
Enjoying your trip report as well. My family along with my sister and some of her family are going next month (22 days). I have a son with many issues; autism, OCD, and sensory issues to name a few. So I'm really interested in hearing how things go for you, your family and your son.
Spoiler alert: We had an awesome cruise and it's now my son's favorite type of vacation!

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #24
denamo
Mouseketeer

Enjoying your review. We will be on Magic 's last cruise from Texas before their repositioning. Can't wait for more!
denamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #25
jjje

Adventures Away!

After we were all situated in our slightly warmer clothes we slowly made our way to the our muster station in the Walt Disney Theater. This was the thing my son was the most worried about and I think you can see his tension in this picture.

We took a detour out on to the deck to check out the port again. While it's not exactly a pretty place it is kind of interesting to see everything that is going on there.

My husband swears he saw a dolphin here and I really hope he was wrong because the idea of a dolphin swimming in this water sort of makes me sad.

After our brief stop on deck we headed into the theater. As we stood outside the theater helping J feel comfortable about going in we saw a crew member and asked him to describe the drill for us. He ran through the procedure and explained what would happen. J was still pretty nervous but he felt a little better once he knew all the steps. We paused for a quick photo.

Do you know what has been edited from this picture?

We were one of the first groups to check in to our muster station so we settled in and watched as the theater filled up. It was here that we found out my daughter thought we were at a mustard drill. When the alarm went off it really wasn't very loud at all. In fact J even laughed and said "That is what I was so afraid of?" In fact the real noise in the muster drill came from the crew member giving everyone instructions over the bull horn. That's probably because we were sitting in the front row and were three inches away from him.

I was so eager to do the muster drill right that I accidentally raised my hand when they were calling out the cabin numbers of people who hadn't checked in. I thought they were doing a roll call! Residents of 2037, I almost took the fall for you. I was surprised by how many people just hadn't bothered to show up for the drill. I hope they made them do a longer, louder, more boring make up drill.

Now it was time to go to the Adventures Away party. We got there just in time to snag some standing room right by the stage. The kids were also excited to be handed streamers to wave around.

It was crowded!

While we were waiting for the show to start we were surprised to see how many people kept letting their little kids run up on to the stage. Like, repeatedly. Crew members kept gently shooing them off but then they would run right back up. I don't know if their parents weren't watching or they just didn't care that their children were not supposed to be on stage but I thought it was a little inconsiderate.

Before we knew it though it was time for the crew members to come out and dance. I was impressed with how energetic they were.

They really danced for a long time. We enjoyed it from our primo standing room.

Ear plugs firmly in place.

See how everyone around us is all bundled up? we Minnesotans were actually pretty warm and toasty out in the sun with everyone around us acting as a wind break.

So, more dancing, dancing, dancing and then all of the sudden Simon started pointing to someone in the audience.

Who could it be?

It's Jesse, my poor put-upon husband!

This, Jesse later informed me, is exactly why he hates being up front at shows. He does have a tendency to be picked for things. He's a sport though so he jumped right in and did the sprinkler.

Even Simon was shocked by his moves.

He did the pony too but I promised him I would never show people that picture. It was pretty epic. The kids and I got a big kick out of watching him on stage. After Jesse got off stage it was time for the real characters to come out.

Mickey's captain costume is adorable.

More dancing

I really admired the stamina of these costumed characters. This part of the show just seemed to go on and on. Our cruise director, Peter, came out for a while to talk. We really liked Peter and the kids always wanted to give him high fives when we saw him around the ship.

More dancing!

How cute is Minnie?

After this they called kids up on stage to join in the dancing. We were just about knocked down in the stampede as about 1000 kids ran up on stage. This was just a little too much for J (and frankly me as well) so we escaped for a little breathing room. If I remember right I think we moved up to deck 10. We still wanted to watch the ship sail away.

Port. Blech.

After a little while the started the count down to sailing away. We loudly joined in and when it got to one they played the ship horn and I cried. (Sometimes we watch youtube videos of the Magic and every time I hear that horn I get weepy.) We went to the back of the ship to watch the port slip away.

I just liked the way this looked.

I liked this little boat.

We had sailed away! It was just the start of our cruise. What adventures lay ahead? More food! That was pretty much always the answer.

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #26
jjje

Quote:
Originally Posted by denamo View Post
Enjoying your review. We will be on Magic 's last cruise from Texas before their repositioning. Can't wait for more!
Awesome! You'll love it!

Old 03-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #27
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Loving your report! We are on this same cruise, leaving April 26. I've never been on the Magic but have sailed on the Wonder and loved it. I have a grandson with Aspergers so am interested in reading about your son's perceptions. ( I know what was removed from the picture at the Walt Disney Theater..do I get a prize? )
Looking forward to the next installment.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #28
LisaHK
Mouseketeer

Great report so far. We are sailing on Magic in August and cannot wait.
Disneyland Paris - 1992 (opening week), 93,94,97,98,01,02,05,06,07,08,10,11 & 12
WDW- 2001.
DCL (Magic) - August 2013, Dover to Barcelona August 2015
LisaHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #29
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

I'm really enjoying reading your report! We're taking our very first cruise on the Magic next October and love reading another report from a first time cruiser. Thanks!

We're from WI (although I was born and raised in MN) and we're just like you when we go south, everyone is bundled up and we're in shorts!

Gina

DH me DS 10 DD 8

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #30
beccafish3kids
Earning My Ears

Your husband rocked it!

Yes, yes, yes, we were up there center back (we're in your picture, ha!) watching your dear husband do The Sprinkler and The Pony... and I thought to myself, "This dad is seriously awesome!" I'm glad he jumped right in there; he made us all feel comfortable by his willingness to be part of the magic. Yay, Jesse!
beccafish3kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: