Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #406
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 3,853

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladysP View Post
While I have to say that I've never seen anything shocking on my past cruises, I did have an unexpected and wonderfully fun experience this past January on my Dream cruise.

My husband and I had just entered the Shutters area and walking behind and past us here comes Stitch and his handler. At the time, I was carrying a large Stitch stuffed animal that my husband (who knows I'm a huge fan) had surprised me with from one of the shops.

Well, Stitch spots his stuffed double and snatches it from me and proceeds to run through shutters with his handler, myself and my husband all chasing him.

I tell you, it was priceless!! I just adore Stitch and his oh so mischievous personality. He is so comically naughty

When his handler finally convinced him (all done playfully of course) to give me back 'my' Stitch, he happily posed with me while my husband and his handler snapped pictures. I will never forget it as that is just one of the many, many reasons why I am gaga over my Disney cruises
This is awesome!!!
__________________
Disney Wonder - 4/27/03 - 4 Day
Disney Magic - 5/8/04 - Western
Disney Magic - 6/24/05 - Mexican Riviera
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #407
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,913

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladysP View Post
While I have to say that I've never seen anything shocking on my past cruises, I did have an unexpected and wonderfully fun experience this past January on my Dream cruise.

My husband and I had just entered the Shutters area and walking behind and past us here comes Stitch and his handler. At the time, I was carrying a large Stitch stuffed animal that my husband (who knows I'm a huge fan) had surprised me with from one of the shops.

Well, Stitch spots his stuffed double and snatches it from me and proceeds to run through shutters with his handler, myself and my husband all chasing him.

I tell you, it was priceless!! I just adore Stitch and his oh so mischievous personality. He is so comically naughty

When his handler finally convinced him (all done playfully of course) to give me back 'my' Stitch, he happily posed with me while my husband and his handler snapped pictures. I will never forget it as that is just one of the many, many reasons why I am gaga over my Disney cruises


Donald Duck did a similar thing with ds12, then 10. While we were walking along deck 12 on the Dream on a beautiful, sunny sea day, DD is coming from the opposite direction. He takes ds by the hand and they go skipping along the deck holding hands. Then of course knowing I have my camera ready, he turns around to pose for a pic with ds. It was one of those "priceless" moments & one of the many reasons I love DCL.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #408
chasingthedream
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 176

Shocking/Scary

On our Dream cruise in 2011 we were taking a packed midship elevator from deck 4. As the doors closed, a very small child (maybe 2 years old) darted from the back of the elevator and out. Someone who was close to the front quickly pressed the next floor's button and everyone cleared way for a frantic mother. I am pretty sure everything turned out ok, but how scary for that parent!

Just a cautionary tale for anyone with small and adventurous kids!
__________________
chasingthedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #409
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!
 
jiminyC_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 15,457

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazzzy View Post

On a lighter note: We saw brown booobies on the Panama Canal cruise in August 2005. Even the captain saw them. Unfortunately he didn't realize most passengers didn't realize a brown boooby is a bird (Sula leucogaster) when he referenced them in a ship-wide announcement. There were joking references to the bird throughout the rest of the cruise.
OMG, I completely forgot about that. It certainly was the joke of the cruise.
__________________
jiminyC_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #410
Fielhol
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladysP
While I have to say that I've never seen anything shocking on my past cruises, I did have an unexpected and wonderfully fun experience this past January on my Dream cruise.

My husband and I had just entered the Shutters area and walking behind and past us here comes Stitch and his handler. At the time, I was carrying a large Stitch stuffed animal that my husband (who knows I'm a huge fan) had surprised me with from one of the shops.

Well, Stitch spots his stuffed double and snatches it from me and proceeds to run through shutters with his handler, myself and my husband all chasing him.

I tell you, it was priceless!! I just adore Stitch and his oh so mischievous personality. He is so comically naughty

When his handler finally convinced him (all done playfully of course) to give me back 'my' Stitch, he happily posed with me while my husband and his handler snapped pictures. I will never forget it as that is just one of the many, many reasons why I am gaga over my Disney cruises
This happened to my 6 year old son as well. Stitch ran away with his stuffed double. My son was in a fit of giggles!! He still talks about it to this day!! Peter Pan also had a 'sulk' because my son did not have a Peter Pan pin on his lanyard but had others.
__________________
Fielhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #411
mrssmiddy
Mouseketeer
 
mrssmiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: O'Fallon, MO
Posts: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielhol View Post

This happened to my 6 year old son as well. Stitch ran away with his stuffed double. My son was in a fit of giggles!! He still talks about it to this day!! Peter Pan also had a 'sulk' because my son did not have a Peter Pan pin on his lanyard but had others.
Stitch is the best! My DS had gotten a toy gun on Pirate Night last year, and we ran into Stitch. Well, Stitch grabbed his gun and ran off. DS had to chase him down and get his gun back...he was laughing so hard...good memories!
__________________


Disney Fantasy 7-Night Western Caribbean - May 2014
Disney Fantasy 7-Night Western Caribbean - October 2013
Disney Dream 5-Night - July 2012
Disney Dream 5-Night - August 2011
mrssmiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #412
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,505

The only really unexpected thing I experienced on our first ever cruise last month was DH giving the go ahead to rebook while we were still onboard. I'm pretty sure he hadn't quite finished saying, "OK," before I was racing to deck 4 to book before he could change his mind.
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #413
BooToYou7
Earning My Ears
 
BooToYou7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: A royal city
Posts: 62

I just remembered an experience we had in Remy on our last cruise, I can't believe it took me so long to remember and post about it. It's all about... duh duh duh.... The. Couple.

The. Couple. came in with another couple and the four of them were at the table next to us. The. Couple. proceeded to talk loudly enough for everyone in the restaurant to know that they were WELL OFF AND FANCY PEOPLE.

Although I heard much about the background of The. Couple., I’m not sure the other couple they were with ever talked. I do know that they apparently own a restaurant and/or work at/run a country club in the city in which I live because The. Couple. mentioned it a couple of times. The. Couple., on the other hand, live in San Francisco. Due to these discrepancies I made up my own backstory in which The. Couple. met the other couple that day on the ship and invited them to join them. The other couple was then silenced by regret, intimidation, and the total realization that they were totally engulfed by some major douchbaggery going on. At least I know they didn’t have to pay for it. How do I know? The very first thing the woman of the The. Couple. (now The Woman) said to the other couple was “Don’t worry about the cost. This is on us since we made you guys come. And, of course, we’ll have the wine pairing.”

I just happened to have some paper in my purse so I decided to be totally gauche and I wrote down some choice quotes from the night as they occurred. For those of you who may not know, I just want to give some background information: 1) before the meal starts, there’s an “Amuse Bouche” course which is basically just “a single, bite-sized hors d’oevure,…different from appetizers in that they are not ordered from a menu by patrons, but, when served, are done so for free and according to the chef’s selection alone” (thanks Wikipedia); 2) The restaurant has an actual sommelier who comes out and serves the wine and gives you background on it; 3) all of the wines are French.

I have to admit that once The. Couple. was seated my husband and I actually stopped talking to each other and just listened to them for the rest of the night. Ladies and Gentleman, my entertainment with my excellent meal:

“Without you, I’d be like that guy from American Psycho. Before he killed everybody.”

“You have Bojangles where you live, correct? God, Bojangles. Disgusting. Even the name sounds disgusting. Isn’t it a step down from McDonald’s?” (This only means something to people who are from or have spent any time in the South and believe me when I say THEM’S FIGHTING WORDS. Bojangles is heaven.)

“Hmm. This is not really an amuse bouche.”

“Now, where exactly in this region did this wine come from? My brother has a house in that region.”

(Upon being served one of the gourmet courses) “We have this at home all the time.”

(Upon the sommelier talking about the region of France a wine came from) “Oh, I love it there. They have beautiful chateaus.”

“We have all kinds of this wine in our own cellar.”

“People who like Notre Dame are going to be disappointed. They’re going to undergo a scandal like Penn State.”

“Oh, Warren is applying to high school. Some of them cost $30,000.00 a year, but no matter. He’ll come out better than our daughter who is majoring in print journalism. Such a dying field.”

The Woman spent about 20 minutes telling the other couple how to run their restaurant and the events they should have. She wrapped up that portion of the conversation with “You can even get lesbians to come!”

The sommelier is pouring them another glass of wine. The Woman sniffs it and says rapturously to him: “It smells like manure and blueberries.”

I swear, every single word of that is true.

The other thing that happened on this cruise, which was the NYE Dream cruise, is that Geraldo was on it and had the same dining rotation as my family. On NYE we were in Animator's Palate and were leaving the restaurant, passed his table just as a totally drunk woman stumbled up to his table, yelling, "Geraldo!! I LOVE YOU!"
__________________
WL 9/10, BW 10/11, WL 12/11, DCL Dream 12/11, AKV 3/12, Swan 9/12, BCV 10/12, DCL Dream 12/12, DCL Fantasy 5/13, BLT 9/13
BooToYou7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #414
Msmit002
Family Concierge
 
Msmit002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooToYou7 View Post
””
I swear, every single word of that is true.
No doubt. I swear, I see/hear people do the most unbelievable things. Not just on cruise ships.
Msmit002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #415
wishiwasindisneyjen
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 39

I have seen quite a few interesting things on our cruises. Once on the Dream a family of 4 was at the table next to us, the father was wearing a shirt that said "F me, I'm famous". And the word was spelled out. I could not believe they would not make him change or turn his shirt inside out. The worst part? His kids were little but not too little that they couldn't read. We also encountered a completely naked woman in the open showers in the rainforest on the Fantasy last year. That was awkward.
wishiwasindisneyjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #416
ludari
DIS Veteran
 
ludari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,499

This wasn't shocking but I was fun and involves another Stitch story. I happen to get on the forward elevator on deck 10. Stitch and his handler get on deck 9 (after a pool visit I suspect) and it's only the three of us. Stitch is heading to deck four and was heading to deck three. Anyway, Stitch looks at me and starts to press every single floor button on the elevator and I say "This is not funny Stitch" of course with a smile on my face. Of course it was one of the few times I was walking around without my camera, nevertheless it was a fun moment I will always remember.
__________________
Annual Pass Holder. DVC Member - March 2011
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #417
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...
 
Paula Sedley-Burke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 4,708

Two things

A kid watching all the others getting ice cream cones from the 'I scream' station on The Dream. For those who haven't seen it it's a help yourself soft serve ice cream stand where you fill a cone. You can only get a certain amount on the cone. Most people tried to get the max they could on top of the cone usually ending in most of it falling or them having to eat it very fast! Some had seconds but the kid watching simply walked away, came back with a paper cup ( large ) from the drinks station and filled the whole thing up with ice cream lol.

Second a well built gentleman on the same cruise with a tee shirt saying 'don't harpoon me' lol.
__________________
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #418
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,913

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooToYou7 View Post
I just remembered an experience we had in Remy on our last cruise, I can't believe it took me so long to remember and post about it. It's all about... duh duh duh.... The. Couple.

The. Couple. came in with another couple and the four of them were at the table next to us. The. Couple. proceeded to talk loudly enough for everyone in the restaurant to know that they were WELL OFF AND FANCY PEOPLE.

Although I heard much about the background of The. Couple., I’m not sure the other couple they were with ever talked. I do know that they apparently own a restaurant and/or work at/run a country club in the city in which I live because The. Couple. mentioned it a couple of times. The. Couple., on the other hand, live in San Francisco. Due to these discrepancies I made up my own backstory in which The. Couple. met the other couple that day on the ship and invited them to join them. The other couple was then silenced by regret, intimidation, and the total realization that they were totally engulfed by some major douchbaggery going on. At least I know they didn’t have to pay for it. How do I know? The very first thing the woman of the The. Couple. (now The Woman) said to the other couple was “Don’t worry about the cost. This is on us since we made you guys come. And, of course, we’ll have the wine pairing.”

I just happened to have some paper in my purse so I decided to be totally gauche and I wrote down some choice quotes from the night as they occurred. For those of you who may not know, I just want to give some background information: 1) before the meal starts, there’s an “Amuse Bouche” course which is basically just “a single, bite-sized hors d’oevure,…different from appetizers in that they are not ordered from a menu by patrons, but, when served, are done so for free and according to the chef’s selection alone” (thanks Wikipedia); 2) The restaurant has an actual sommelier who comes out and serves the wine and gives you background on it; 3) all of the wines are French.

I have to admit that once The. Couple. was seated my husband and I actually stopped talking to each other and just listened to them for the rest of the night. Ladies and Gentleman, my entertainment with my excellent meal:

“Without you, I’d be like that guy from American Psycho. Before he killed everybody.”

“You have Bojangles where you live, correct? God, Bojangles. Disgusting. Even the name sounds disgusting. Isn’t it a step down from McDonald’s?” (This only means something to people who are from or have spent any time in the South and believe me when I say THEM’S FIGHTING WORDS. Bojangles is heaven.)

“Hmm. This is not really an amuse bouche.”

“Now, where exactly in this region did this wine come from? My brother has a house in that region.”

(Upon being served one of the gourmet courses) “We have this at home all the time.”

(Upon the sommelier talking about the region of France a wine came from) “Oh, I love it there. They have beautiful chateaus.”

“We have all kinds of this wine in our own cellar.”

“People who like Notre Dame are going to be disappointed. They’re going to undergo a scandal like Penn State.”

“Oh, Warren is applying to high school. Some of them cost $30,000.00 a year, but no matter. He’ll come out better than our daughter who is majoring in print journalism. Such a dying field.”

The Woman spent about 20 minutes telling the other couple how to run their restaurant and the events they should have. She wrapped up that portion of the conversation with “You can even get lesbians to come!”

The sommelier is pouring them another glass of wine. The Woman sniffs it and says rapturously to him: “It smells like manure and blueberries.”

I swear, every single word of that is true.

The other thing that happened on this cruise, which was the NYE Dream cruise, is that Geraldo was on it and had the same dining rotation as my family. On NYE we were in Animator's Palate and were leaving the restaurant, passed his table just as a totally drunk woman stumbled up to his table, yelling, "Geraldo!! I LOVE YOU!"
omg. Depending on my mood, this would either make me so nauseated I would have to either leave or it would be our entertainment for the evening to laugh at them.
One of dh's favorite lines is, "Just because you're rich, doesn't mean you're smart." The CMs could probably write a book about obnoxious people.

This reminds me of our 1st cruise on the Dream while waiting in line at GS, a lady walked right up to the front of the desk, skipping all of us in line, waving her gold KTTW card (not implying that all guests in suites act like this) and demanding that her daughter get a band aid immediately. She had a tiny scrape on her knee & looked embarrased that her mom was acting more like a whining child than she was.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #419
PrincessAndie
Mouseketeer
 
PrincessAndie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludari View Post
This wasn't shocking but I was fun and involves another Stitch story. I happen to get on the forward elevator on deck 10. Stitch and his handler get on deck 9 (after a pool visit I suspect) and it's only the three of us. Stitch is heading to deck four and was heading to deck three. Anyway, Stitch looks at me and starts to press every single floor button on the elevator and I say "This is not funny Stitch" of course with a smile on my face. Of course it was one of the few times I was walking around without my camera, nevertheless it was a fun moment I will always remember.
His badness level must have been high that day. You should have told him that you were going to tell Lilo!
Great story!
__________________
November 2010 Port Orleans Resort Riverside - 17th MVMCP Trip!
June 2010 All Star Music Graduation Trip
1994-2009 off site too many times to count.

PrincessAndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #420
FJS961
DIS Veteran
 
FJS961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
This reminds me of our 1st cruise on the Dream while waiting in line at GS, a lady walked right up to the front of the desk, skipping all of us in line, waving her gold KTTW card (not implying that all guests in suites act like this) and demanding that her daughter get a band aid immediately. She had a tiny scrape on her knee & looked embarrased that her mom was acting more like a whining child than she was.
All she needed to do was stop into the concierge lounge and they would have gotten one for her. She also could have dialed the lounge on a wavephone, if she was carrying one, the lounge and concierge hosts are programmed in on speed dial ... amateur
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: