DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #46
Alice Sr.
BWV 1998 BCV 2002 SSR 2006 AKL 2008

I bought BWV after my divorce to insure my DD's would have a good vacation every year, in a safe place that would allow them freedom as they grew up but provide me with sense of security while they were allowed to explore on their own. We always brought at least one of their friends (usually one for each DD) and/or family member and it has worked out exactly as I had hoped. Always really enjoyed taking kids that had never been to WDW, especially our exchange students from Japan and Germany. My oldest DD and I went in October for the F & W Fest and had a great time. We are going again in 3 weeks with her BF (who has never been). I am really looking forward to hanging out with him and getting to know him better. We do not spend much time at the parks these days but still love going, there is so much to do besides the parks. I am going to Aulani in October with my BFF, really looking forward to that! My youngest DD (my DD's are now 22 and 25) has blessed me with a beautiful little baby GD so I am also in the process of planning her 1st trip next March with our whole family including my ex. From a financial standpoint for me, buying DVC was as safe a bet as I could make timeshare wise and a very good hedge on vacation inflation. The last couple of years I had more points than I could use so I rented them through David which is a wonderful option. I had let points expire in the past because I did not want to take on a 'point renters' bad (credit card) debt liability. I had recently thought about selling some points but now that I have a GD I almost feel like I need more. Sorry for the long story but wanted to give you the who, what, where and why for me and give you some things to consider. Best of luck to you either way.

Last edited by Alice Sr.; 03-24-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Alice Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #47
WDWLayla
Earning My Ears

Thank you all for your wonderful stories and passionate responses! I'm sure this will help many of us decide on our own DVC purchase!
WDWLayla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #48
Sammie
DIS Veteran

For the two bedroom accommodations.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #49
TheDalys
Mouseketeer

We have 2 children and have taken them to disney every year so far (our oldest is 4, so this year will be trip 4). we went over pros,, cons,, expenses and frequency of visits.

Pros - for us, flights to florida are cheap. Have not spent over $90 round trip per flyer yet. So it makes it a perfect getaway location.
- magical express takes care of the car rental costs (even though there are wait times,, but its free so no complaints.
- the full kitchens take care of the the meals. We would eat like we are at home, pack lunches and prepare dinners prior to parks.
- The cost over the years... We bought resale so over the course of our 42 year contract and so far 150pts, it will equal a little over $900 each year for a week each year at disney. ($10,000 for 150pts, $710 annual dues over 42 years, 42x$710+$10,000= $39,820÷42 = $948) there will be annual dues increases but everything goes up in price over the years.

Cons - The lump sum payment to buy the resale. Not so much of a con but the initial thought of "ok, is this what i want to spend $10,000 on". But its over now, vacations are paid for.
- the stress of "is there going the be a room when we book for the week we want".
- with no car, you are stuck on disney property, but with the kids so young it doesnt matter.

We purchased last year and have only used it once and it was awesome, we will be doing aulani in september and will be doing OKW in november. So we will break even soon enough.
TheDalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #50
TNR Paton
Earning My Ears

My wife and I have always had a wonderful time at WDW. We took the kids twice while they were growing up. It was their favorite vacation. We did our 25th anniversary trip with just the two of us. It was magical. The memories we made are precious. We decided that we need to make more memories like that. So we bought into DVC.
TNR Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #51
Novakm
Mouseketeer

Not an owner yet, but I have a contract waiting for ROFR. I took the kids in '93' and made memories they still cherish. I have 3 sets of grand kids now, and i want to make more memories. I want to take 2 grand kids each year, or each one every 3rd year. With DVC, I can justify it once, and not worry about if we should go or not each year.

The other side of the question is what does it cost me for this convenience? It ties up a fair amount of cash, but I figure that since I am buying resale, I can get most of it back if I need to sell. If I don't, it pays for itself in 6 years. So the cost is minimal, could even save me money in the long run.
Novakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #52
savannahcat
DIS Veteran

We just closed on our first contract today.

We have two daughters ages 7 and 9 who love Disney. The oldest has more than 15 trips under her belt.

My DH and I enjoy going to Disney both with the kids and without. We definitely see ourselves continuing to vacation there after the kids leave the nest.

After having rented DVC points 4 times, we were tired of not having control over our reservations. We knew it was time to join the club.

We bought 100 points at AKV, and plan to add on in the near future so that we will have two identical contracts to pass on to the kids. Then, further down the road, DH and I want a small contract at BWV for F&W once the kids are grown.

1985/1990 - Offsite * 9/1996 - All Star Sports * 11/2004 - Embassy Suites * 2/2005 - Embassy Suites * 4/2005 - Embassy Suites * 5/2005 - Embassy Suites * 10/2005 - Embassy Suites * 12/2006 - Windsor Hills * 5/2007 - Windsor Hills *10/2007 - Windsor Hills * 11/2008 - Windsor Hills * 1/2009 - Windsor Hills * 7/2009 - Swan * 10/2009 - Emerald Island * 6/2010 - AKV * 1/2011 - Barefoot'n in the Keys Resort * 6/2011 - AKV/Indian Creek * 6/2012 - Disney Dream * 6/2012 - BWV * 1/2013 Regal Oaks * 6/2013 BWV/SSR * 11/2013 BWV
savannahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #53
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!

We are Disney people and have been doing everything Disney since our children (who are almost 18 and 15 now) were little. Our kids have been raised on Disney, and they know no different. It's part of their lives. They know that at least once a year, we pull dad away from the dairy farm, and we celebrate being a family doing something that has to do with Disney (WDW, DL, DCL, etc.).

Several years ago, a dear relative of mine passed away and left me an inheritance. The relative always wanted to know about my vacations. He'd call me before I left and call me just as soon as I got back to see how our trips were. I decided to use part of my inheritance to continue our Disney vacations for years to come and to share the Disney experience with friends and family, so we bought in to DVC. I knew he would be thrilled to know that he was part of the reason we'd continue to do our Disney trips for years to come and that my kids would be able to enjoy it with their own families some day if they desired.

What I've loved most about it is the ability to share it with others. We have taken my sisters and their families, my mother, and friends of my children. It is so wonderful to be able to take other people who might not be able to go otherwise. I love sharing my DVC, and I'm so glad we bought in and do wish we had done it earlier. I know my children will benefit from it as adults, and I'm so happy that my husband and I will be able to send them and their families some day (hopefully they'll allow us to tag along).

Susan

09/93 Honeymoon at WDW, 03/01 First time to WDW with kids,
06/02 WDW, 11/03 First trip to Disneyland, 05/05 BIG family trip
to WDW POR, 06/06 First cruise on the Wonder/WDW ASM,
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder, 03/12 One Week in Maui,
07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay

Upcoming Trips: 03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western, 07/13 Villas at Grand California
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: