Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #91
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

Day 3, Part 2 (Or, the Hot Middle of the Day...)

So after ToonTown we figured we should head over and see what was going on in Tomorrowland. (I don’t remember why it was so important, but I think DH wanted to take the kids on Finding Nemo, and we knew the line would only get longer and hotter!) When we got over there the line was already a decent length. Now, Nemo is a ride I can do. I can. But I don’t prefer to, and that is just after having been on it once. (Our last trip, in 2009, just DH and me) I am a little claustrophobic. Add in a long, warm line, and I am OUT, my friends.

I think DH was just a touch annoyed that I didn’t want to go on the ride too, but he survived, while I got some Autopia (which was not open our first two days) and Star Tours FP’s, and asked a nice CM standing outside of the Little Green Men Store (totally had to look that name up…) to give me a crash course in pin trading. I have read lots of threads about it, but having never seen it myself, I asked her if she would walk me through it, so I would be confident in explaining it to my kids. English was not her first language, so we had a few “wait, what?” moments (not with words, just in understanding) but I felt a lot better after our little roleplay about giving our kids their lanyards and pins.

We purposely waited on the pin trading until the last day. Since this was a first trip for all of them, we knew there would be plenty to occupy them for the first few days, and I knew that Friday might be more crowded, and that pin trading would be something new and exciting. Silly, looking at that sentence. What kind of crazy over-planner tries to make sure there is something “new and exciting” with three little kids at Disneyland? Anyway. After waiting for them for a while (in the wrong spot) to get off Nemo, we finally met back up. I think the line was probably about 30 minutes, plus the ride itself isn’t short.

We had a snack and walked across to the Jedi Training Academy, where a show was getting ready to start. That was on our “list,” since DS6 is a Star Wars nut (inherited/encouraged by his parents…) and we had our sign and everything all ready. But the sun was killer! We weren’t early enough to get a completely shady spot, so we were sitting partially in the shade, with my legs out in front, saving him a spot “on the line” for when the show started. Which it didn’t. First it was delayed a few minutes, due to technical difficulties, then cancelled. All that (okay, maybe 10 minutes) skin cancer time for my shins, for nothing! ;-)

By now our Autopia FP’s were ready, but they didn’t really save us any time. We had a few good experiences with FastPass during the trip, but just as often they were unnecessary or we were frustrated trying to get the timing right. A big :-p for FP enforcement. Autopia was fun, but hot. The kids liked it, but weren’t over-the-moon excited about it the way I remember my little brothers being. Different interests, I guess.

While we were in line I had given them the lanyards and explained pin trading. They were a little ho-hum about the whole process, and not that impressed that I wanted them to wear these heavy necklace-things. (Though they liked the patterns and were interested in some of the starting pins we’d provided – 6 each.)

Star Tours FP’s were up by now, and that was a hit, again. Definitely in the Top 5 Favorites of our trip. I took them on it, and as soon as we got off, DH hustled us over to the the Jedi Academy (which was starting in 5 minutes). It wasn’t any cooler an hour and a half later, but I’m glad we made it happen. The bright yellow sign got DS picked, and he got to wear a robe and play with a lightsaber, and show how brave he was to fight Darth Vader, and I still (we were watching the video together) am not sure how much of he thought was pretend or maybe a tiny bit real. 6-year-old boys (especially bright ones) are a puzzle at the best of times. But he loved it. My girls were actually kind of melting in the heat of the sun, so I left the video camera with DH at our “ringside” seat and took them up on the Terrace. Not the best view, but I could still mostly see what was happening, and my girls got to cool off and have some Gogurts.

After our little Padawan graduated from the Academy we were =starving= and went looking for a place to have some lunch. Somehow we ended up at Rancho del Zocalo (which would not have been my first choice). DH likes Mexican food more than I do, and I didn’t see anything on the menu I wanted to try badly enough to pay $10-15 for. So I ordered a kids chicken taco two. Um, on paper it was very… healthy (wheat tortilla, apple sauce, weird mixed veggies, rice, etc.) but fairly tasteless. I added cheese, lettuce, and salsa (which I don’t tend to even like) just to add some flavor! Filling, but blah. Our kids did okay with it. They were excited about the applesauce. I supplemented with snacks. I also changed my attitude about lunch quickly when we were almost done and (TMI ALERT!!) I saw a girl quite a few tables away that had just thrown up all over, and her mom was trying to clean it up with napkins and such, and then walked her 8-9 year old to the bathroom for further clean-up. (We didn’t use that bathroom) Suddenly, my day looked infinitely better and I was grateful for all our blessings! Gross, I know, but it just goes to show that having fun and enjoying yourself are largely about perspective!

After lunch we weren’t super sure what to do, but DD2 helped us decide by promptly falling asleep. DH offered to take her to the lower level of the Country Bear Restaurant (shady, cool-ish) and let her sleep as long as she would. It was pretty hot, and the older kids had been asking about riding Pirates again, so that’s what we did! Even though the line was much longer than we had seen it the rest of our visit. We saw our first (and nearly last) group of cheerleaders (there was a competition in CA the next day, I think? That day? I don’t remember.) No big deal. They were at least as well-behaved as MY kids… ;-) We were getting our first taste of some serious crowds, and I –remembered- how it can get in Disneyland, especially in Adventureland/Pirates area when it’s crowded… (Add in some heat, and claustrophobia, anyone?) My kids were troopers in the lines though, especially since our plans had helped us not wait in too many long ones up to that point.

But you know that Pirates never takes THAT long to get onto, and before we knew it, we were enjoying some nice, dark A/C. Which is usually my favorite part about POTC, after the fun drops at the beginning. I’m not really into dark and scary/spooky, and kind of have to compel myself to watch movies like Lord of the Rings, POTC, etc. with DH. I can appreciate them, and even enjoy them, but I’d be happier if all movies were shot in at least partial sunlight and had little killing and lots of relationship exploration. Ha.

After Pirates, DD2 was still completely out, so DH was entertaining himself on his phone and with taking pictures, so we decided to check out Tom Sawyer…er, the Pirate’s Lair? I remembered it being cooler and kind of fun for kids.

(pics DH took. She is an awesome sleeper, isn’t she? Surprised the heck out of us!)

The ride over and the Island itself were NOT so cool. Fun, yes, but it was just as warm over there, and the kiddos and I were all getting a little toasted. I don’t deal super well with heat (yes, I’m from Arizona and will probably live here the rest of my life now…) and was ready for a change of some sort. We rode back over (after much exploring – In retrospect, I think my Dad liked Tom Sawyer’s because we were old enough during most of the trips to be turned loose while he stretched out on a log bench on the backside and rested his feet for 45 minutes…) and DD2 was just waking up. Before we met up I bought the kiddos (the older 2) a churro to share with me, which they had been asking for. And then we had to decide if we should wait around until our 5:30 return time on Splash Mountain (which sounded so fun in this heat!) or get out of Disneyland and head over to the somewhat less-crowded (according to MouseWait) California Adventure.

Video of the first half of our last day! (this installment and the one right before it!)

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip))
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:59 AM   #92
sophies*mom
Mouseketeer

I giggled while watching your video because your older daughter totally copped a feel on Snow White when she gave her a hug!

And I'm also hoping that our trip in 3wks isn't as hot as yours was. I could tell they were hot.

(DH) Eli -- (me) Elena
(DD) Sophie -- (DS) Parker

sophies*mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #93
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

I love that picture with the three kids and Mickey, they look very happy.
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #94
Moodyzblu
DIS Veteran

I love that you have video to go along with the TR because it just makes it so dimensional !! I love hearing the voices and seeing the smiles .. plus your kids are just oozing with cuteness !!

Come check out ..
Jayden's Wish pre-trip report !
It Smells Like Elephant and Forbidden Journey's Wish Trip Report ... in progress
The Moodys Do Disneyland!
Youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Moodyzblu
Moodyzblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #95
Jaina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophies*mom View Post
I giggled while watching your video because your older daughter totally copped a feel on Snow White when she gave her a hug!

And I'm also hoping that our trip in 3wks isn't as hot as yours was. I could tell they were hot.
Oh, man! I might have to take another look at our family video version (a bit longer) and choose a different scene... ;-) And it was particularly warm at that point. I believe it was 2 or 3 PM, and they had been running around on the island and then standing/riding in the sun on the raft right before that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
I love that picture with the three kids and Mickey, they look very happy.
Me too! I wish I had asked them to take several family pictures though, so one of ours might have turned out better. To anyone that's going with little kids, I would say you have to MAKE sure you get a few family photos a day, or spring for Photopass! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodyzblu View Post
I love that you have video to go along with the TR because it just makes it so dimensional !! I love hearing the voices and seeing the smiles .. plus your kids are just oozing with cuteness !!
Thanks! I'm a bit of a videophile, so it's fun to have other people watch some of our fun, too!

Last edited by Jaina; 04-02-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #96
cptmemo
Earning My Ears

How fun! I love hearing about your trip. We're going in June, and it will have been 3.5 years since our last trip. Reading about yours has helped get me excited Your kiddos are so cute!
cptmemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #97
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

What a great update
I am really enjoying your TR, lots of great detail but most importantly your kids seem to be having the time of their lives
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #98
yupikgal
DIS Veteran

Wonderful TR! Adorable kids, awesome parents, making memories that will last forever!

Enjoyed all your pics, and the videos definately make it even more exciting! Loved all the sweet tshirts that you made/bought, as well as your thriftiness with the Disney outlet finds!

Here's to many more years of happy adventures with your kids! Looking forward to reading more!!
DL, CA, DD Feb 23-26, 2012 Paradise Pier!!
Going back to DL & Southern California! 5/26-6/10, 2011
Anaheim/Disneyland/Las Vegas! May 21-June 3, 2010
Disneyland, California Adventure (Anaheim) San Diego August 8-12, 13-16, 2009
Disneyworld, D Wonder & Universal Studios: Oct. 2003
Polynesian Resort, Royal Pacific Resort
Disneyland: November 1999
Disneyworld: October 1994

yupikgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #99
Jaina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptmemo View Post
How fun! I love hearing about your trip. We're going in June, and it will have been 3.5 years since our last trip. Reading about yours has helped get me excited Your kiddos are so cute!
Thanks for reading! How exciting to be planning your own trip after (such) a long time away! 3 years is just too long, right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
What a great update
I am really enjoying your TR, lots of great detail but most importantly your kids seem to be having the time of their lives
Thanks! We really did have an amazing vacation. All the planning (and praying) helped a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupikgal View Post
Wonderful TR! Adorable kids, awesome parents, making memories that will last forever!

Enjoyed all your pics, and the videos definately make it even more exciting! Loved all the sweet tshirts that you made/bought, as well as your thriftiness with the Disney outlet finds!

Here's to many more years of happy adventures with your kids! Looking forward to reading more!!

I'm glad you're enjoying it!!

Sorry I haven't updated. We've had a lot going on this week, since I just found out a week ago that my son's school (where he's been going to kindergarten, and my daughter was already registered at for next year) is going to be closing after this year. It is a charter school that we have LOVED, and of course all the other decent schools in the area already have waiting lists. (We don't live in a fabulous school district, but AZ has open enrollment and there are several good magnet/charter schools in the area). A little (okay, a lot stressful!) Also, my inlaws are coming for the Easter weekend. Exciting, but also stressful. I have a lot of picking up and cleaning to do today that I've been ignoring while working on schools and a big video project. But I promise to get back to it in a few days! (There's not that much left, which makes me a little sad...)

Last edited by Jaina; 03-29-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: sig
Old 04-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #100
ladylyons
Wishing I was closer to Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina View Post
Sorry I haven't updated. We've had a lot going on this week, since I just found out a week ago that my son's school (where he's been going to kindergarten, and my daughter was already registered at for next year) is going to be closing after this year. It is a charter school that we have LOVED, and of course all the other decent schools in the area already have waiting lists. (We don't live in a fabulous school district, but AZ has open enrollment and there are several good magnet/charter schools in the area). A little (okay, a lot stressful!) Also, my inlaws are coming for the Easter weekend. Exciting, but also stressful. I have a lot of picking up and cleaning to do today that I've been ignoring while working on schools and a big video project. But I promise to get back to it in a few days! (There's not that much left, which makes me a little sad...)
First off I just want to say I really hate when things like this happen to the schools. We do live in a pretty great school district but we're still told that our kids may not go to our home school. Which is kind of bad since I was the first family to sign my DD up for Kindergarten next year also. (My DS is in Kindergarten this year!!) Hope you're able to get it all straightened out and both of them into a good school!!

Ok are you sure your not writing about my life!!! My DH and I got engaged Feb 2004 and got married in May 2004!! A whole year before you and your DH!! We've also taken trips to DL that we shouldn't have due to finances (my DH is an electrician and when there's no work he doesn't work). But our children are only young once and it's memories we will all cherish for year's to come.

I love reading about your trip!! You can see the pure joy on everyone's faces about just being in DL! I'm really glad you got to take this trip and experience the magic with your kids while they are still young enough to believe.

Princesses are a sore spot in our family. My DH and 6 year old DS could care less to stop to see them but my DD is a princess in her own right (since she is the only girl). We've had moments where my DS will tell my DD that the princesses don't want to meet her which brings tears to her eyes and then I'm taking her to see them just to prove him wrong.

I know I had more to comment on but it's late and I now don't remember what else I wanted to say. Oh one other thing is we are also about a 6 hour drive to Disneyland if we don't hit traffic!! And we stayed at the Anaheim Plaza also due to the room size being so big compared to other's we've stayed in.

Can't wait to read more about what you guys did! And your kids are adorable!!! Love all the happy smiles!!

What do you mean we're driving to WDW from CA? PTR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3179094
ladylyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #101
albertamommyof4
DIS Veteran

I am loving your trip report. I think it is great that you planned to go even though finances say other wise lol. Memories are forever and the kids are only young once. It has been a long time since the kids and i's first disneyland vacation (april of 2009) and will be a long while till we get to go back unfortunitly so it is so nice to see your pictures and videos.
albertamommyof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #102
Jaina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylyons View Post
First off I just want to say I really hate when things like this happen to the schools. We do live in a pretty great school district but we're still told that our kids may not go to our home school. Which is kind of bad since I was the first family to sign my DD up for Kindergarten next year also. (My DS is in Kindergarten this year!!) Hope you're able to get it all straightened out and both of them into a good school!!
Thanks. I'm trying not to think about it too much this week. The kindergartner is already approved and registered at our first choice, thankfully. That should move DS6 up on the list? We have him on two waiting lists, and he's technically registered for next year at another campus of the same charter (20 minutes away, -without- traffic) but it might be a few months until we hear. Blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylyons View Post
Ok are you sure your not writing about my life!!! My DH and I got engaged Feb 2004 and got married in May 2004!! A whole year before you and your DH!! We've also taken trips to DL that we shouldn't have due to finances (my DH is an electrician and when there's no work he doesn't work). But our children are only young once and it's memories we will all cherish for year's to come.
Can't wait to read more about what you guys did! And your kids are adorable!!! Love all the happy smiles!!
Of course I went and commented all over your post instead of saying anything here, but thanks! I love the happy smiles too, and keep looking at them. I even printed some pictures (GASP - we never print pics anymore, and I'm about 2 years behind on my digital scrapbooking still) to put up around on my fridge and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertamommyof4 View Post
I am loving your trip report. I think it is great that you planned to go even though finances say other wise lol. Memories are forever and the kids are only young once. It has been a long time since the kids and i's first disneyland vacation (april of 2009) and will be a long while till we get to go back unfortunitly so it is so nice to see your pictures and videos.
Thanks! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I don't think it matters if there are several years or more in between trips - there are lot of fun memories you can make in between. It's okay for Disney to just be a big "every once in a while" thing for some of us. Better than racking up credit card debt or something to go more often, right? That doesn't really make the family any happier in the long run... But it's nice to "live a little" every once in a while, even if you do it on a budget. ;-) We do give up some of the "little things" (like rides at county fairs, brand new clothes and shoes most of the time, eating out more than once a week) to be able to save up though.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #103
ladylyons

Quote:
Thanks. I'm trying not to think about it too much this week. The kindergartner is already approved and registered at our first choice, thankfully. That should move DS6 up on the list? We have him on two waiting lists, and he's technically registered for next year at another campus of the same charter (20 minutes away, -without- traffic) but it might be a few months until we hear. Blah.
I hope he does move up and get put into the same school! I'm doing the 2 school drive this year and I'll be honest it sucks!!! My DD is in a co-op PreK about 10 mins away and my son is in Kindergarten 2 mins away in the other direction (we walk to his when my DD doesn't have school, she only goes 3 days a week.) I'll be glad next year when they are in the same school. At least I already know that my DS will be staying at the same school due to a survey I had to fill out. The waiting is hard! Hope it goes by fast though so you can find out for sure where they will both be going!

Quote:
Of course I went and commented all over your post instead of saying anything here, but thanks! I love the happy smiles too, and keep looking at them. I even printed some pictures (GASP - we never print pics anymore, and I'm about 2 years behind on my digital scrapbooking still) to put up around on my fridge and stuff.
No worries! Post where you can! Again your posting my life!! I'm about 3 years behind on updating our digital frame!! James looks at it and see's baby pictures of Jeremy and says "ME". Nope sorry baby that's your big brother!! We also don't normally print pictures unless they are for family.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #104
Jaina

Day 3, Part 3 (in California Adventure)

Where were we? Ah, trying to make that decision about Splash (which we dearly love, and as I said, it was HOT) and park-hopping over to enjoy a few less people. I should mention that on the itinerary, we should be spending the late evening in Disneyland and seeing Fantasmic. I was planning to lay out our little throw on the grass and read something on my phone/people watch for a couple hours while DH took the little ones around/got dinner, etc. But we just werent feeling Disneyland at the moment, and decided to make the Fantasmic decision later, and head across the esplanade. (I would possibly have never known it was called that except that I found the DisBoards through a little game called VMK (or Virtual Magic Kingdom) back in the day&
Before we left though, I helped the kids complete their first pin trade (there hadnt been many CMs wearing lanyards where we had been  mostly on rides.) They thought that was kind of cool, and we made slow progress to the turnstiles, since they were getting ready for the afternoon parade on Main Street, and the pins were plentiful. It was hard for me to just stay back and not influence the trading (much) since there were so many pins that I- thought were cool. Mommy might have to get in on the action next time& Here is a picture of one of their first trades:

Walking into California Adventure was a bit of a breath of fresh air. It was busy there too, but its more open- than Disneyland in many areas, and you could feel a bit of a breeze. It was definitely the right choice for us at that moment. After trading once or twice on our way in, we rode The Little Mermaid again. It was a constant favorite, mostly because the kids enjoyed it and the line was&not.

After that I took the little one on one of her favorite rides, the Golden Zephyr, again while DH took the older two on Goofys Sky School. Ha. Sucker. Hed never been on it. (Technicaly, neither had I, but Ive ridden Muholland Madness once or twice, thank you.) I might have enjoyed the theming, but I was gracious and let him try it out. He wasnt a fan (surprise) but the kiddos enjoyed it. GSS had a bit of a line (maybe 10 minutes?) but we didnt have to wait for the Zephyr. I was a little sad that the Silly Symphony Swings, which my kids would have loved, were closed, (They didnt even seem to be up on their little pedestal& strange?) but for the off season, we really didnt miss much to refurbishment, overall. And they would have been awkward to ride, since none of our kids are tall enough to ride independently. Now we tried to figure out if the kids wanted to wait for the Pixar Play Parade or ride something else. Somewhat sadly, the older two wanted to ride TSMM again. (And DD2 usually wants whatever theyre excited about still) I say sadly, because the wait was listed at 45 minutes. They still wanted to go though, so we did. Id say we waited closer to 30 or 35, thankfully, and took a few fun pictures in the process.

This was actually the first time in the whole trip that my feet were starting to really hurt. They had felt tired before, but I was uncomfortable standing in this line. Goes to show that getting a little more fit and switching my shoes every other day made a difference this time though! (I was in my almost-broken Saucony sneakers and heel inserts again this day, even though the temperatures called for my Croc flip flops again. I had a tiny hot spot on top of each foot where the strap rubbed a bit though as soon as I put them on that morning, and I chickened out and switched them while we were standing in line before rope drop& How many of you can say you changed your shoes during rope drop? Anyone else crazy like me? )

The kids enjoyed the ride again, and DH was excited that he got high score of the vehicle, whatever that means& ;-) We realized that if we booked it over there, we could probably catch most of the Play Parade, since it started on Buena Vista street, and would be ending by the Silly Symphony Swings. We ran (er, walked quickly) around and crossed just before they roped off the exit for the Parade to cross. DH was a bit grumpy at this point (I dont remember why, but I know HIS feet were hurting) so he sat back in a chair at the restaurant and watched while the kids and I got a curbside seat. (Lineside?) They enjoyed the parade, though not nearly as thoroughly as Soundsational the night before. I think any parade gets a few degrees more magical when the sun goes down though, and it was only about 5:30. ;-)

We werent sure exactly what we wanted to do after the parade was over, but we were getting pretty hungry (and lets face it: TIRED), so we walked up through Cars Land to check out the lights and see what our options were, and then we continued over through the big arch. All the kids wanted was a Power Pack, and I figured at least one- of the restaurants in that little food court area of the Wharf would have one. We found some, and DH took the kids in to get some (it was a bit crowded and there were some lines) while I stopped at the Lucky Fortune Cookie (is that its name?) to get some food for myself and ask about their gluten-free options for DH. The chef came out of the restaurant (its counter service) to talk to me about the options there, and DH ended up choosing to eat there too. The next morning I thought my tasty, very filling dinner had given me some mild food poisoning, but later I was thinking it was a little bit of heatstroke or something else. Im still not sure&

After that we walked back through Carsland and ended up deciding to get in line for Maters Junkyard Jamboree. The kids were really excited about it, and even though it was after 7:30 PM we decided the 30 minute wait wouldnt be too bad. The kids were a little hyper (especially DD2, who gets sillier as she gets tired) but doing okay when we had our little mishap. They were finishing up some of the goldfish crackers from dinner, and all of a sudden DD2 started choking on them a little bit. She worked through it almost as soon as we realized she was in distress, but it scared her pretty badly and she had a little accident. As soon as she realized it, she turned to DH, in the saddest voice said, Does this mean I dont get to ride the ride? Breaks your heart, doesnt it? DH walked her back out through the line and talked to the CM before exiting to go get her some fresh clothes. Thankfully the bathroom behind Flos isnt that far away, and after about 10 minutes they were waiting for us at the exit. She had already had one slight accident that day (DLR is hard for the recently potty trained  too much going on and potties are not closeby sometimes&) and used her change of clothes, so she ended up in her brothers extra pants  thankfully some lightweight khakis that didnt look out of place. Anyway  we all got to ride the Junkyard Jamboree and I think it was one of their favorite rides. Definitely one of DD2s, so Im glad she didnt miss it. ;-) And even though the line was long, it was a fun one to wait in that late in the evening, with all the lights and getting to watch the ride going on in the center. There is some fun giggling and sliding on the video.

Youve probably realized by now that we decided to skip Fantasmic! this time. We had already done so much and experienced so much and we were a little crowd-weary and worn out in general. Also, I knew that it was intense enough to scare the kids at least a little bit, and Im pretty sure that it will be there for our next trip, when theyre older. Well try to make it a priority. We couldnt decide about trying to catch the fireworks though (at least from the esplanade?) so we wandered over in the Animation Academy (which Im NOT sure will be there next time, and which my older kids hadnt seen at all). First DH took me in to see some of the art though. Weve always loved to look through here, but it wasnt something on our list with our kids for the first time. Im a little crazy and I took some pictures of some of my favorite paintings and such. (Lucky you! - though Ill limit myself to 4&)

When the kids got bored (or I got tired of asking them to look and not touch, I dont recall) we headed into further into the building. I LOVE those big screens and the immersion of video and sound in that big oval room. My kids are media junkies and thought it was the best thing ever. So we rested and relaxed a bit, checked out the Zoetrope (which blew my mind!) I think Ive seen several other versions of the same idea, but never a 3-D model.

While we were relaxing they announced that Turtle Talk with Crush was starting. Id seen it before, and it didnt excite me THAT much, but the kids had asked about it several times, so in we went. One of my favorite pictures of the trip was taken outside while we waited for it to start:

They kids enjoyed it a lot, and DD5 even got to ask Crush a question. (Why do you like your son?) Really, DD? Crush had to take a second to figure out what to do with that one. If you had told me that the last attraction we would experience together on this epic trip would be Turtle Talk with Crush I probably would have laughed. It wasnt really in the same league as Fantasmic!, but it was a good example of how flexible we tried to be, I guess. We made the trip enjoyable by not making- anything happen against the flow. We tried to listen to our kids signals and ask what they wanted and gently steer them through a general schedule instead of a specific one.

We had mostly avoided stores (also different from our normal  we generally do a lot of window shopping, even if we dont buy much) since we werent planning to spend much on souvenirs, and didnt want the kids seeing all sorts of cool things and being disappointed. But after Turtle Talk we did a little shopping, planning to let the kids pick out one or two small things. DS, however, didnt see the Star Wars set he wanted there in CA, so we exited the park, intending to either find it at the World of Disney, or trek back into Disneyland to get it.

Im going to go ahead and post my final video, which will give away some of what happened next. Ive got to get dinner going though, so Ill have to wait until later to tell you the story of how and why I watched the fireworks all by myself&

Day 3, part 2 Video

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip))

Last edited by Jaina; 04-03-2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #105
ladylyons

What another fun day!!! We usually leave the parks in the middle of the afternoon unless there's something we really want to see or we happen to be there during off season which is rare for us. Loved the picture of you and your DH in line to TSMM.

Disney is great for letting you join back up with your family. I've had that happen now twice at Toy Story. First time we were half way through the line and the baby blew out a diaper. I just said I wouldn't ride and DH could take the other 2 by himself. As I got out of line the CM asked me if I decided no to ride and when I explained the situation they told me where to go to wait for my family. Happened again this last trip but it wasn't as bad as a situation.

Can you believe in all our trips we've never seen the Pixar Parade!! Looks like it would be cute but I agree it probably would have been better if it would have been a little darker.

uh oh!! I'm curious now why you watched fireworks by yourself!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: