Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #31
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Disney does NOT build rides based on new movies...nor does anyone else really for that matter.

This doesn't happen.
The last ride or show based on a new movie was its tough to be a bug...and that was at an animal
Park that had its plans brutally slashed during construction and needed SOMETHING on opening day.

Not just in Orlando...anywhere in disneydom.

The rule of theme park tie ins is this:
Wait five years and if its still selling junk at target, the Disney store and world of Disney...then it might be considered.
Agree. Not to pick on Universal but they are much more aggressive in that area...and it's very hit-or-miss.

Does anyone really care about properties like Jurassic Park, The Mummy, Shrek or ET anymore? They are fine films in their own way, but JP, Mummy and Shrek are franchises that were run into the ground while ET has lain fallow for 30 years now.

Some of the attractions are decent but anyone who has seen Mummy 3, JP 3 or Shrek 3/4 will have a hard time mustering enthusiasm for the theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACVII View Post
The new test track was a big mistake. Yes it needed some updates and a good cleanup but the money they wasted was just that, wasted. They ruined what they had. They need to update word of energy. One big draw back is the time to go through the attraction.
You could argue the money would have been better spent elsewhere. Thing is, Disney didn't pay for the refurb--General Motors did as pavilion sponsor.

That's the financial model lockedoutlogic is referring to--most of Epcot is sponsored by corporate entities--or countries' Chambers of Commerce in the case of the WS. Disney is reluctant to spend their own dollars in the park for fear of setting a new precedent.

They would break ground on a new WS country tomorrow if they could get someone else to fund the pavilion.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #32
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Reel it in folks

Not to be the one that drags this all down...but the original rumor is barely even a rumor. It mentions a "mystery project" for Epcot in 2015. Beyond that, every other comment in the story is speculation by the author's part.

Not only could that be ANYTHING at all, in could be practically NOTHING. It could be a new exhibit in innovations. It could be a overhaul of Electric Umbrella.

The one thing I think we can be pretty certain is in not a NEW pavillion or country in world showcase. These things take much longer than 2 years, so anything in that regard would not be coming in 2015.

skierPete

P.S. I am all for Epcot getting some love. I didn't understand the overall for Test Track, when there is so much in that park that desparately needs attention. I'm just saying let's not get too excited over this comment.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #33
Tekneek
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I'm just saying let's not get too excited over this comment.
I second that. Given the limited time left, it is unlikely an entirely new structure can be built. Even if it is a major rebuild of a current attraction, they can't wait too long to go after it.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #34
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

Yeah, its all rumors. Hope Epcot gets some love and in the direction somewhat of what it suppose to be about. If the tear down, renovate, or do whatever to a pavilion, keep the "future" in future world. To me personally, maybe thats what they tried to do with Test Track. I still enjoy the ride for what it is but it seems to fit at least better than the original warehouse, testing grounds look.

Thats just my opinion, some may agree or not. I am not an Imagineer so I don't know what the thought was.

Again, these are my opinions...

Keep the Universe of Energy pavilion, just do some sort of refurb.

Keep Imagination Pavilion and FIGMENT! Do something else here more exciting with it.

As you can tell, I am all about trying to keep some nice retro Epcot stuff, I hope it can be done, just do something internally to make it better.

And as for World Showcase, adding the ride to the Italy Pavilion may work or go ahead and make another pavilion. That seems like it would attract more people to World Showcase, I dunno. I am just shooting from the hip here.
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013 *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS - 2013 *TOKYO DL* Offsite - 2014
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #35
Tekneek
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyworld1977 View Post
Again, these are my opinions...

Keep the Universe of Energy pavilion, just do some sort of refurb.
All for it. My fear is that somebody at WDI is already planning to pitch this as a Monsters University of Energy redo, playing on the old name but continuing with the trend to insert Pixar into as many attractions as possible.

Quote:
Keep Imagination Pavilion and FIGMENT! Do something else here more exciting with it.
Reclaim all the lost attraction space on the second floor. Act like they care about this attraction again.

I don't know if the problem is WDI, or the executives, but they have struggled massively with Future World and Tomorrowland over the years. It shouldn't have to be this difficult.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #36
Lesleyluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
I have it on good authority that it is an interactive pavillion featuring the Kardashians meet Honey Boo boo as The'New America'!
1998 - Port Orleans French Quarter * 1999 - All Star Music * 2000 - All Star Sports * 2001 - All Star Movies * 2002 - All Star Movies * 2004 - All Star Movies * 2006 - Caribbean Beach HONEYMOON!* 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside *2010 - Old Key West* 2013 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
*2015 - Old Key West

Magical Disneyland Paris Visits!2001 - Santa Fe Hotel * 2002 - Disneyland Hotel[COLOR="New York[/B][/B][/B][/B]

PaleGreen"]* 2005 - Hotel New York
[/[B]2011 - Hotel New York

Disneyland & California AdventureOct 2009 - 1st visit!
Lesleyluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #37
tmullane
Earning My Ears

Quote:
The new test track was a big mistake. Yes it needed some updates and a good cleanup but the money they wasted was just that, wasted. They ruined what they had. They need to update word of energy. One big draw back is the time to go through the attraction.
Wasn't the cost picked up by Chevrolet. Isn't that the point of sponsorships.
tmullane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #38
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
All for it. My fear is that somebody at WDI is already planning to pitch this as a Monsters University of Energy redo, playing on the old name but continuing with the trend to insert Pixar into as many attractions as possible.

I could see where they could go with that I guess. I know they did it over at the Living Seas adding Nemo, but I dunno, it seems like that would have to rename Future World to something else if they do that, not that all the rides/pavilions are futuristic maybe but something needs to happen to understand this part of Epcot better. Might have to rename to Adventure World....Mission Space, the Land with Soarin, the Seas...those could be as adventures I guess. Hmm...I dunno.
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013 *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS - 2013 *TOKYO DL* Offsite - 2014
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #39
Tekneek
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyworld1977 View Post
I could see where they could go with that I guess. I know they did it over at the Living Seas adding Nemo, but I dunno, it seems like that would have to rename Future World to something else if they do that, not that all the rides/pavilions are futuristic maybe but something needs to happen to understand this part of Epcot better. Might have to rename to Adventure World....Mission Space, the Land with Soarin, the Seas...those could be as adventures I guess. Hmm...I dunno.
That would be the ultimate flushing of the past, I suppose. In a way I would welcome that, because I wouldn't have to look at it as a failure of WDI. They've not lived up to the commitment made to Epcot at all. World Showcase is close to what it should be, but parading has-been musicians and tribute acts through each summer is well outside of the box. Future World has largely been left to wither without any concern for the mission/purpose.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #40
carebee21
DIS Veteran

I think I would put money on this either being Soaring Over the World finally coming to fruition, or something new coming to replace EO, if it's an attraction based rumor. Both would be fairly simple and fast, primarily revolving around swapping out the film. They would probably have to redo the theater a bit in EO if that was it, but I don't think either would take all that much time. So based on the limited timeframe, I would guess either of these.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #41
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebee21 View Post
I think I would put money on this either being Soaring Over the World finally coming to fruition,.
No way in heXX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebee21 View Post
or something new coming to replace EO.
That is a possibility.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #42
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2intx View Post
What about Toy Story and Cars? They built a whole land in CA based on a movie....
Take a look at the last line of what i said and then cross reference it to the sentence above...

cross-mojination
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #43
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Not to be the one that drags this all down...but the original rumor is barely even a rumor. It mentions a "mystery project" for Epcot in 2015. Beyond that, every other comment in the story is speculation by the author's part.

Not only could that be ANYTHING at all, in could be practically NOTHING. It could be a new exhibit in innovations. It could be a overhaul of Electric Umbrella.

The one thing I think we can be pretty certain is in not a NEW pavillion or country in world showcase. These things take much longer than 2 years, so anything in that regard would not be coming in 2015.

skierPete

P.S. I am all for Epcot getting some love. I didn't understand the overall for Test Track, when there is so much in that park that desparately needs attention. I'm just saying let's not get too excited over this comment.
It takes Disney more than two years to build a bathroom these days. Construction schedules are very measured.

I see the same silliness repeated thread after thread around here...more money thrown into WDW at this point makes no sense...from THEIR perspective.

we keep showing up no matter what they do or don't do...so why not save the money?

I'm actually thankful they've bothered to announce renovations to PI...
but i know my limits: new big things in EPCOT, carsland, star wars land...

they're all fools errand in Orlando right now. it doesn't make sense.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #44
LunarDistortion
Earning My Ears

Personally, I would like to see a rollercoaster there.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #45
Lesleyluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Surely Chevrolet would have paid a substantial portion of this to change the sponsorship? I agree (not having experienced the new ride yet, we arrive in 12 days) I think it was gravely in need of an upgrade and maintenance, but wish they'd kept with the original concept.

in regards to another country, surely they couldn't put a country pavilion on the old body wars site? thats no where near WS?

I do realise this is all speculation at the moment, EPCOT is my favourite park even though over the years its cobbled together a mish mash of attractions that bear no relevance to each other, but they are NEVER going to have 4 "perfect"parks unless they bulldoze everything as start from scratch again x
1998 - Port Orleans French Quarter * 1999 - All Star Music * 2000 - All Star Sports * 2001 - All Star Movies * 2002 - All Star Movies * 2004 - All Star Movies * 2006 - Caribbean Beach HONEYMOON!* 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside *2010 - Old Key West* 2013 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
*2015 - Old Key West

Magical Disneyland Paris Visits!2001 - Santa Fe Hotel * 2002 - Disneyland Hotel[COLOR="New York[/B][/B][/B][/B]

PaleGreen"]* 2005 - Hotel New York
[/[B]2011 - Hotel New York

Disneyland & California AdventureOct 2009 - 1st visit!
Lesleyluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: