Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
cruisingmickey
Earning My Ears

Question "Gay Friendly" transportation between the parks

Hey y'all,

Fiance and I have booked our honeymoon Carnival Cruise out of Port Canaveral. Due to budgetary constraints, we're going to be staying off site and looking at someplace within walking distance to either Downtown Disney or Universal and taking some form of transportation to the other park. So, wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to hotels and a "gay friendly" shuttle/car service for transportation between MCO/hotel/park/cruise terminal.

Thanks in advance
cruisingmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

Is there a such thing as gay-friendly transportation? How is a bus or town car not gay-friendly? I'm sure I'm missing something.

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Perhaps he means gay owned? Otherwise, I agree, transportation is transportation. Mears is going to be the largest transportation company in the area.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
DVC~OKW~96
I'm not big on gold as a color. As a metal...that's another story
Spreading the word is an important thing!

Or perhaps he means a conveyance driven by someone who is not a homophobe as many people are. You do have to be concerned, especially when there are any number of cabbies who can be pretty miserable toward gay folk. If you've never experienced that, then good! But for those of us who have, it's important to know who might not subject you to shoddy treatment.

Sir Randolph was a great company that we worked with transporting 20 of us from WDW (OKW) to Cape Canaveral for the cruise.

Personally, I avoid Mears Cabs.

I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind
I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I am on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It's never too late to try
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
Heather Small
DVC~OKW~96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
NickAndAnt
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley0139 View Post
Is there a such thing as gay-friendly transportation? How is a bus or town car not gay-friendly? I'm sure I'm missing something.
He means he doesn't want a car service where you pay them $200 to drive you through an unfamiliar part of the country, where the driver comments on a man who walks past the car as looking like an "F-word fa*got", 20 minutes after he told you all about his extensive gun collection no less, and then says to the gay couple in the back seat, "Are you guys brothers?"

This happened to us last year traveling from Philadelphia to the Pennsylvania state capital city of Harrisburg. Then at the hotel, the clerk refused to give us the room with one king bed we'd reserved telling us "two men would be more comfortable in a room with two beds" even after I insisted we really wanted the king bed.

A friend who lives in Florida says Mears Transportation Group is professional and that he's never heard of anyone having a problem. I haven't used them myself though. And I see the poster above me warns against them. (407) 423-5566.

Last edited by NickAndAnt; 03-23-2013 at 07:53 PM.
NickAndAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Considering that Mears is the company that Disney contracts with for Magical Express and even resort buses if they have an event too big to cover themselves, I would think their drivers are pretty well behaved...but even Disney itself gets a bad apple now and then. If that happens, I'd report them to Mears.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAndAnt View Post
He means he doesn't want a car service where you pay them $200 to drive you through an unfamiliar part of the country, where the driver comments on a man who walks past the car as looking like an "F-word fa*got", 20 minutes after he told you all about his extensive gun collection no less, and then says to the gay couple in the back seat, "Are you guys brothers?"

This happened to us last year traveling from Philadelphia to the Pennsylvania state capital city of Harrisburg. Then at the hotel, the clerk refused to give us the room with one king bed we'd reserved telling us "two men would be more comfortable in a room with two beds" even after I insisted we really wanted the king bed.

A friend who lives in Florida says Mears Transportation Group is professional and that he's never heard of anyone having a problem. I haven't used them myself though. And I see the poster above me warns against them. (407) 423-5566.
Yikes. Both of those situations are horrible (especially the bed thing - who are they to tell you how you'd be more comfortable??). I guess I just wouldn't think about a whole transportation company being gay friendly or not, that would really just be about the specific employees you had. There's really no way to predict, I would think. There will be a bad apple in every group.

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
NickAndAnt
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley0139 View Post
Yikes. Both of those situations are horrible (especially the bed thing - who are they to tell you how you'd be more comfortable??). I guess I just wouldn't think about a whole transportation company being gay friendly or not, that would really just be about the specific employees you had. There's really no way to predict, I would think. There will be a bad apple in every group.
It's not uncommon, at all, for a mom and pop company run by open minded folks to advertise in gay themed press or signs in their windows or ads as gay friendly specfically to send messages to gay folks that their companies don't tolerate bad apples and go out of their way to screen them out.
NickAndAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
mrunn0080
Earning My Ears

Mears has been good

A few years back, my boyfriend and I were picked up from the airport in Orlando by a Mears town car (was a really nice car). We were treated with the same respect or even more than any other couple. For a whole week we hired Mears, either the taxi or the town car (a little more expensive).

Our driver of the town car gave us his card so we could have him personally pick us up whenever we needed. The taxi drivers were ok but the town car drivers dressed nicely and provided us with a more pleasant ride around.
mrunn0080 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: