Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
nee
Mouseketeer

want to sell photos

I have some really nice landscape photos and would like to sell them online, probably as an ongoing business.
Does anyone know of a good site that gives a good rate of pay ?

Not Disney related I know, but one is a photo of main st made into a watercolor effect. though I realize i could not sell that one.

Thanks
nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Many people use sites like SmugMug or Zenfolio to sell photos online. However, you still have to drive traffic to those sites to get sales. Just putting them online is not enough.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

I've had a site through Zenfolio for the past 2 years. I love how you can customize your site so much. And my main reason for going with Zenfolio is the fact that prints are made through Mpix. But as mentioned, you have to get people there. I haven't had tons of traffic, and have hardly sold anything. So I probably won't renew in the next few months.

Oddly enough, most of my "picture sells" are from Redbubble. I didn't promote that at all for the longest time. And I would still get a couple of greeting cards sold every week (although people could buy full sized prints and stuff). Not a lot of money at all. But the site is free. So u can't beat that.
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
nee
Mouseketeer

Thank you,

Are those sites similar to Getty which I have just come across ?
Old 03-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nee View Post
Thank you,

Are those sites similar to Getty which I have just come across ?
No. Getty is a stock agency. These sites host and sell your images for a fee.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
littlekidagain
Mouseketeer

I also use Zenfolio. I took me awhile to sell my pictures on there. Most of it is building you name and getting your pictures out there for people to see. I have sold more by having the prints and going to fairs,flea markets ect.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekidagain View Post
I also use Zenfolio. I took me awhile to sell my pictures on there. Most of it is building you name and getting your pictures out there for people to see. I have sold more by having the prints and going to fairs,flea markets ect.
I've been thinking about taking that approach and going to fairs and stuff. Haven't pulled the trigger on that yet; even though there seem like ample opportunities for it.
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
Velvetring
Earning My Ears

Uploading the images onto a large online gallery is an option, but since you are talking about landscape photography, there are several ways in which you could look to earn from your passion. For instance, you could submit your images to several online photo stock sites, but you could also consider an approach aiming to avoid being a small fish in a large pond, by looking for ways to sell directly to a particular market without such fierce competition for attention. Landscape photography is often much appreciated by stores and small coffee places that may be looking for a new decorative piece in the upcoming spring season. Maybe you oughta consider to order some custom made postcards that depict your works, including a clearly defined address on the back of the collage, and hand it out around the area you live in, so that they can contact you? I've gotten mine here with a next day delivery.
Another option would be to talk to the local shop owner about a possibility to refresh the atmosphere by exhibiting your works that are available for sale to any interested customers. If you are not looking for mass production of your images, and prefer to possibly offer each piece presented in a memorable form (a large print, canvas?), this could be the sufficient ammount of exposure that comes with a chance to avoid being another feature in a stock catalogue. Good luck, let us know what worked!
Velvetring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
nee
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the suggestions.
I have about 10 really nice landscape pictures that I have spent a lot of time and effort on , getting them just right.
So I feel as though they are worth more than the small payment you get back from the stock sites.
I suppose that I was hoping there would be an online site that would pay good money for good pictures.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nee View Post
Thank you for the suggestions.
I have about 10 really nice landscape pictures that I have spent a lot of time and effort on , getting them just right.
So I feel as though they are worth more than the small payment you get back from the stock sites.
I suppose that I was hoping there would be an online site that would pay good money for good pictures.
You never know what is going to sell or be used. I have all these great racing shots, cars going three wide through the corners, crashes, wheel standing dragsters, jet dragsters, etc. Which of my photos is used in the track's annual calendar? A photo of the mascot! Of all the photographers, I was the only one to take a photo of "Dash" (the Chicagoland Speedway cougar mascot)! Go figure.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
Daisy14'sDH
DIS Veteran

Gianni, lol, it seems typical that you put all the effort to get the coolest moment, and all they wanted was a picture of a man in a mouse costume... or whtever the mascot is! Lol

To the OP, can you share any of the Low Resolution versions of your images with us?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #12
Velvetring
Earning My Ears

Hey nee,

It is really difficult to imagine sites, that would pay big money for good shots...I think you always have a better chance with a quality work developed, that you are offering face to face - a place owner may appreciate that you actually walk to get to him and bring something to show, which may be cosidered as a sign of care for the project. Details as such are the "additional value" which a payer receives with the experience. I hope it works for you!
Velvetring is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: