Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #31
photos_101
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 231

I was just looking at my receipt for our May trip. Which I paid in full with disney gc's from target, and they were processed and show up as 'credit card' payment. Actually, when the CM was doing my ressie she actually asked for the exp. date after I gave her the card #. lol

In the end, it is 'my' money so they would have to refund me it somehow. They just can't keep it. I have to call for some other assistance so I will have to ask about this.
photos_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #32
Lindymagoo
Earning My Ears
 
Lindymagoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
OP- good for you to keep your cool! I hate what that happens.

Where is NW Ohio are you from? I am from Maumee, Ohio
We live in Sylvania! I feel a sudden urge to start singing "It's a Small World......" lol
__________________
Lindymagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #33
rachel09985
DIS Veteran
 
rachel09985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN (Originally Ohio)
Posts: 3,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindymagoo View Post
We live in Sylvania! I feel a sudden urge to start singing "It's a Small World......" lol
Lol thats funny and ironic! Definitely am familiar with Sylvania!
__________________

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #34
DoleWhipMom
Mouseketeer
 
DoleWhipMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 224

Went today to Target and got my temporary debit card (receipt). Tried to buy $1000 in gift cards but transaction was suspended. Frustrating part was the person on the phone for Target couldn’t tell me what the limit was, I would just have to keep trying different amounts and build up a history with them. I don’t mind them being cautious because of fraud; what I did mind was the complete lack of any kind of rule of what I could do and for how long. The staff at Target was wonderful though. Got a supervisor to speak to the rep on the phone (she was frustrated too). She was able to apply a 5% code but had to use my card the “regular” way. Her point to the rep was that now it won’t go towards me building a history and besides, the money is in my bank account to cover the transaction. So, even after I get the regular card, I will have to keep trying different amounts over time… makes no sense to me. Give me some kind of plan I can follow!

As soon as I got home I called Disney and applied them to my trip so that part went without a hitch!
__________________
2001 Jul POLY, 2002 May POR, 2003 Oct POR, 2004 Aug/Sept USO HR, 2005 Jul USO PB, 2006 Aug/Sept POR, 2007 Jul USO PB, 2008 May USO RP, 2008 Aug/Sept WL, 2009 Aug/Sept POFQ, 2010 Sept BC, 2011 Aug/Sept BC, 2012 Aug/Sept POR/AKL/YC, 2013 Aug YC
DoleWhipMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #35
Lindymagoo
Earning My Ears
 
Lindymagoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoleWhipMom View Post
Went today to Target and got my temporary debit card (receipt). Tried to buy $1000 in gift cards but transaction was suspended. Frustrating part was the person on the phone for Target couldn’t tell me what the limit was, I would just have to keep trying different amounts and build up a history with them. I don’t mind them being cautious because of fraud; what I did mind was the complete lack of any kind of rule of what I could do and for how long. The staff at Target was wonderful though. Got a supervisor to speak to the rep on the phone (she was frustrated too). She was able to apply a 5% code but had to use my card the “regular” way. Her point to the rep was that now it won’t go towards me building a history and besides, the money is in my bank account to cover the transaction. So, even after I get the regular card, I will have to keep trying different amounts over time… makes no sense to me. Give me some kind of plan I can follow!

As soon as I got home I called Disney and applied them to my trip so that part went without a hitch!

That was part of my frustration as well. The Target Financial guy was vague as to what I might be able to buy tomorrow, if I did the $300 limit that night. Maybe another $300 the next day, maybe not. No real guidance. And yes, my $2150 came off my debit card the "regular" way, and thereby, no history making.....oh well. I guess the end justifies the means. We were able to get our cards with the discount. Just not the "traditional" way. Glad I am not the only one who was exposed to this and glad that it worked out for you, too!
__________________
Lindymagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #36
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.
 
LockShockBarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 3,048

But again, they still have to have something in place for people that have already used the gift cards in case of issues and they would have to (or should have to) tell people who try to use gift cards that the policy is no refunds. For the CM to say "yeah we just don't do it anymore" can't be the full story right?
__________________
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #37
DisneyShannon
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyShannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 483

Target has become a problem for me their pharmacy has raised their prices, from a four dollar med that I had got and paid four dollars for years. well it is now twenty dollars. I moved all my scripts to another pharmacy. Target told me that it was my insurance raising their prices, but the new pharmacy is four dollars. I never saved much with my red card and it is just used to save them money.
DisneyShannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #38
Tiger926
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
But again, they still have to have something in place for people that have already used the gift cards in case of issues and they would have to (or should have to) tell people who try to use gift cards that the policy is no refunds. For the CM to say "yeah we just don't do it anymore" can't be the full story right?
I have clearly stated that the CM said they do not offer refunds back to Disney Gift Cards when applying them to hotel room accounts at check-in or during the trip.

Whether it is correct or not, is another matter, but the CM clearly explained the policy to me, as she understands it, and that is no refunds back on gift cards, so they are encouraging guests to place gift cards on accounts before checkout in small increments of what you know you will spend, or the night before checkout (if you have express checkout on a credit card), get a copy of folio, and use your gift cards then, in the proper amounts.

Again, this was my experience at Boardwalk last week, so hopefully some others will report back with their experiences over the coming months.

Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 03-24-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #39
mistysue
DIS Veteran
 
mistysue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
I have clearly stated that the CM said they do not offer refunds back to Disney Gift Cards when applying them to hotel room accounts at check-in or during the trip.

Whether it is correct or not, is another matter, but the CM clearly explained the policy to me, as she understands it, and that is no refunds back on gift cards, so they are encouraging guests to place gift cards on accounts before checkout in small increments of what you know you will spend, or the night before checkout (if you have express checkout on a credit card), get a copy of folio, and use your gift cards then, in the proper amounts.

Again, this was my experience at Boardwalk last week, so hopefully some others will report back with their experiences over the coming months.

Tiger
I feel like you are snapping back at people and this isn't personal. I have to say though, including your replies that are sort of scolding people no, you have not been clear. You said that the CM told you they will not apply the refund back to the gift card. Ok, so the next logical question is what they do with the money if they owe it to a customer. Yes, it is a reasonable question that no, you have not addressed.

A question is being asked and you keep answering a similar question as if the person is stupid for asking. You have now repeatedly told us that one CM told you they will not refund the money back onto the card. Ok, great. We all heard you. But if they owe you money back they have to do SOMETHING with it. Gift cards are run through their system the same way as a credit card. So maybe they don't put it back onto the card, but they can not take money from you and then just absorb a refund due. Even stores that don't offer refunds give you a store credit.
__________________
Me(33) DH(32) DD(10) DS(5) DS(3)

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #40
Tiger926
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post

I feel like you are snapping back at people and this isn't personal. I have to say though, including your replies that are sort of scolding people no, you have not been clear. You said that the CM told you they will not apply the refund back to the gift card. Ok, so the next logical question is what they do with the money if they owe it to a customer. Yes, it is a reasonable question that no, you have not addressed.

A question is being asked and you keep answering a similar question as if the person is stupid for asking. You have now repeatedly told us that one CM told you they will not refund the money back onto the card. Ok, great. We all heard you. But if they owe you money back they have to do SOMETHING with it. Gift cards are run through their system the same way as a credit card. So maybe they don't put it back onto the card, but they can not take money from you and then just absorb a refund due. Even stores that don't offer refunds give you a store credit.
Nothing personal, as it is an Internet message board. LOL!

Sorry, but I have clearly stated my experience. People seem to be confused, perhaps angry, etc at Disney regarding this, and it has nothing to do with me. Don't shoot the messenger should apply here.

Again, people are missing what I have clearly spoken about: if this policy is correct, and CMs are properly explaining to guests (which she did to us), then guests will determine an amount to apply, and there should be no refund needed (barring an emergency in which guests didn't spend any money). There will be no refund given is what the CM told me. And, in my experience, there are stores in which if you don't return the gift card used at time of purchase, then you do lose that amount. Has happened to me several times.

I clearly understood the policy as explained to me, but again, she may be incorrect. If it is correct though, then Disney is putting the onus on the guest to determine what amount to apply at time of check-in, and she clearly stated to me that no refund would be offered, so I needed to take a minute to figure out the amount I wanted to apply to my account. Maybe they are revamping the Disney Gift Card policy due to the new system?

I am truly not understanding why people are struggling to understand this? You may not like it, but it's a pretty clear policy, as I have explained on here exactly what the CM did with our gift cards last week.

Bottom line is that Disney doesn't even need to do the whole gift card process at check-in, as it takes up time and holds up the check-in process. Much more efficient and simple to swipe 1 credit card to pay, then 45 Disney Gift Cards that need to all be swiped and tracked. Maybe they will limit cards, no more refunds, etc...due to the new system?

And again, as I stated, this may be incorrect, but this was my experience at Boardwalk last week.

I don't have time to email Disney right now, but I will so as to cross-check my experience with this, and I will respond back here.

Tiger

**UPDATE - I have emailed Disney about this, so I will post back when I get a response **

Last edited by Tiger926; 03-24-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typos and update
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #41
tryin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 92

On my cruise last month, I was told to hold on to my gift cards. Fortunately, I was able to apply them to my account over several days and no one was ever in line at guest services, so no taking up other people's time. The CMs weren't busy when I approached the desk. I'm not sure how this would work if I had a high number of cards (i think I only had 6 total). I used them for extras, not to apply to the total cost of the trip because I don't want to get stuck with Disney gift cards that total over thousands of dollars.
__________________
Caught the cruisin' bug!
Disney Magic-2/15/2013 Bahamas out of Galveston
Upcoming Disney Wonder-5/19/2014 California Coast B2B 5/24/2014 Alaska out of Vancouver
tryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #42
luckygirl539
Mouseketeer
 
luckygirl539's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 275

I just came back from a trip and paid with gift cards. My original deposit was on a cc. The cm at poly was extremely nice. Unfortunately, there was a problem with our room and we were offered a refund on one of our nights. We did not get the refund until we got home, but they simply applied it to the original credit card I used. No issue with gift card. Now- the card I used was now expired. We worked it out, but they said they would issue me a refund through the mail if we hadn't straightened it out.
I agree that the PP was a little unclear. People were concerned that Disney would keep the unused credits from the gift cards. I do not think Disney would keep your credit. They would work it out as they did with my situation. They are trying to avoid confusion by letting people know that gc will not be refunded. But I fully believe they will work with you if you have a credit.
luckygirl539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #43
Tiger926
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl539 View Post
I just came back from a trip and paid with gift cards. My original deposit was on a cc. The cm at poly was extremely nice. Unfortunately, there was a problem with our room and we were offered a refund on one of our nights. We did not get the refund until we got home, but they simply applied it to the original credit card I used. No issue with gift card. Now- the card I used was now expired. We worked it out, but they said they would issue me a refund through the mail if we hadn't straightened it out.
I agree that the PP was a little unclear. People were concerned that Disney would keep the unused credits from the gift cards. I do not think Disney would keep your credit. They would work it out as they did with my situation. They are trying to avoid confusion by letting people know that gc will not be refunded. But I fully believe they will work with you if you have a credit.
Totally different than what the CM told me. As Colleen mentioned previously in this thread, us regulars know that Disney is very inconsistent at times with many policies, gift cards included.

And by the way, you are correct. I did say that funds would not be refunded, so this CM said to make sure we knew how much we would spend, as we would not be refunded back in any way.

Is she wrong? Maybe...this was our experience, and your mileage may vary, which is one of Disney's biggest problems, IMHO.

Inconsistency in policy is a big problem at Disney...

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #44
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.
 
LockShockBarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 3,048

Tiger, no one here is saying that you're wrong. We're (or at least I'm ) saying the CM is either wrong and doesn't have the full story. They'd have a revolt on their hands if they just suddenly say "Oh yeah hey we're keeping your money, sorry!!". You HAVE explained what you heard very clearly. The replies I don't think are to you specifically, just to what you heard.
__________________
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #45
Colleen27
DIS Veteran
 
Colleen27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,949

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
Tiger, no one here is saying that you're wrong. We're (or at least I'm ) saying the CM is either wrong and doesn't have the full story. They'd have a revolt on their hands if they just suddenly say "Oh yeah hey we're keeping your money, sorry!!". You HAVE explained what you heard very clearly. The replies I don't think are to you specifically, just to what you heard.
And there has been some misunderstanding, because many of the replies (my first one included) have been addressing situations beyond the very narrow scope of what Tiger is saying - she's reporting back specifically about applying gift cards at check in to cover charges made to the room account, not to booking packages or dining or tours or other pre-paid experiences with GCs.

I've yet to come across a CM who knows how to apply a GC in advance to a room account - I've always been told I had to come back before the CC on file is run if I want to pay my room charge with a GC, so I have absolutely no experience at all with what the refund policy for gift cards credited in advance might be. But I will try again next trip and see what I'm told then.
__________________
~~**Colleen & Crew**~~
POR 10/05 ~ BC 08/07 ~ WL 01/08 ~ CBR 12/09 ~ POP 03/11 TR/ DR
POP 1/12 TR ~ ASSp 5/12 ~ CSR 3/13 ~ POP 4/13 ~ ASMu 12/13

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.