Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #301
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceLuvsWDW View Post
What I wouldn't do again:

take high heel shoes

take really dressy clothes
Now, this proves how different people are. The best part was to be able to dress up every night in my pretty heals and dressy clothes for dinner. Going casual for everything just takes the special-ness out of it. I wore a different dress every night with heals and we took some fantastic family photos where we are not all frumpy (we keep frumpy for the parks) On formal night I wore a gorgeous black dress with heals and the works and had my husband and 6 year old son wear matching tuxedo t-shirts. They looked adorable and we had some fantastic professional family photos taken that night.

ME DH DSDisneyland(hundreds of times) Disneyland Hotel 6/05&12/05; Disney Fairytale Wedding@Disneyland 6/05;WDW 2/04,6/05,5/12,10/14; Port Orleans Riverside 2/04&6/05;All Star Movies Resort 5/12;Coronado Springs 10/9/14;Caribbean Beach 10/1/15; Disney Wonder 6/05;Disney Dream 4/12;Disney Fantasy 10/18/14, 10/10/15
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #302
TempusFugit
Are you a fan of delicious flavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover
On formal night I wore a gorgeous black dress with heals and the works and had my husband and 6 year old son wear matching tuxedo t-shirts.

Wow

Want to split a pineapple?
TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #303
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post
Now, this proves how different people are. The best part was to be able to dress up every night in my pretty heals and dressy clothes for dinner. Going casual for everything just takes the special-ness out of it. I wore a different dress every night with heals
This for us too. DH loves wearing a tie and looking sharp. DD thinks the pouffier the dress, the better. We dress up in different outfits every night as well. In fact, DH even changed after Remy brunch and wore something totally different to dinner! Our serving team commented every night about how nice we all looked

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #304
Purplejewel
Purplejewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
This for us too. DH loves wearing a tie and looking sharp. DD thinks the pouffier the dress, the better. We dress up in different outfits every night as well. In fact, DH even changed after Remy brunch and wore something totally different to dinner! Our serving team commented every night about how nice we all looked

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
So nice to see I am not the only other person who likes to dress up each night for dinner on the cruises. All of the restaurants are so beautifully decorated that it just seems appropriate to be in in formal wear each night when I eat in them. I usually don't see that many other people dressing up each night and I use to feel a little awkward but I have gotten over that since it is all about what a person is comfortable wearing and what makes them happy - and dressing up each night makes me happy. The cruises are the only time I ever get to dress in fancy clothes and I get fantastic pictures each night too. Plus, getting to see my DH in his suits is rare and he always looks so handsome. I bring a different cocktail dress for each night, plus a long gown for formal night. I also bring nice dresses to wear to Palo or Remy Brunches. On my last cruise in February, for the first time, I brought a complete pirate outfit to wear on pirate night - including boots. What a lot of fun that was I got awsome pictures with Jack Sparrow and I felt like it was Halloween, which is one of my favorite holidays. Yes, bringing all those outfits requires alot of packing space. I end up having a very large suitcase plus a full-size garment bag just for my things - got to have room for lots of shoes and jewelry as well I am bringing my four daughters on their first 7-day cruise this November and after seeing all the beautiful pictures of DH and I from our cruises they want to dress up each night too. Yikes - I can already see the mountain of suitcases I will be lugging to the next cruise. But it will be worth it to see my girls all dressed up like princesses each night and getting such wonderful family photos to take home - there goes another $400.00 for photos I love seeing other people dressed up too - I get new ideas for outfits that way.

10 cruises (3-Wonder; 3-Magic; 1-Dream; 3-Fantasy)
Purplejewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #305
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplejewel View Post

So nice to see I am not the only other person who likes to dress up each night for dinner on the cruises. All of the restaurants are so beautifully decorated that it just seems appropriate to be in in formal wear each night when I eat in them. I usually don't see that many other people dressing up each night and I use to feel a little awkward but I have gotten over that since it is all about what a person is comfortable wearing and what makes them happy - and dressing up each night makes me happy. The cruises are the only time I ever get to dress in fancy clothes and I get fantastic pictures each night too. Plus, getting to see my DH in his suits is rare and he always looks so handsome. I bring a different cocktail dress for each night, plus a long gown for formal night. I also bring nice dresses to wear to Palo or Remy Brunches. On my last cruise in February, for the first time, I brought a complete pirate outfit to wear on pirate night - including boots. What a lot of fun that was I got awsome pictures with Jack Sparrow and I felt like it was Halloween, which is one of my favorite holidays. Yes, bringing all those outfits requires alot of packing space. I end up having a very large suitcase plus a full-size garment bag just for my things - got to have room for lots of shoes and jewelry as well I am bringing my four daughters on their first 7-day cruise this November and after seeing all the beautiful pictures of DH and I from our cruises they want to dress up each night too. Yikes - I can already see the mountain of suitcases I will be lugging to the next cruise. But it will be worth it to see my girls all dressed up like princesses each night and getting such wonderful family photos to take home - there goes another $400.00 for photos I love seeing other people dressed up too - I get new ideas for outfits that way.
I agree. When else do we have the opportunity to dress up?

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #306
NickAndAnt
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplejewel View Post
I would guess you get a lot of smiles and maybe some compliments when your whole family is dressed up. (instead of funny looks.)
NickAndAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #307
Centex
Earning My Ears

We simply fed the children at the table then my hubs walked them to the kids club and back down to rejoin us for dinner. Of course, we only ate with family so we didn't hold up any one elses dinner. But still an option.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #308
fairfax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplejewel

I love your way of thinking!

We like to dress up, too. My husband even bought his own tux. I love shopping Dillards' awesome sales for "cruise clothes" (last new year's day I got a gorgeous formal dress for $40!) I have so many great pictures and memories from our cruises. My kids have been great sports about getting dressed up as well. It's all about what you enjoy doing and what will make your vacation the best for your family
Old 05-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #309
flyersfan1129
Mouseketeer

What we WILL do again:
Palo brunch (will be booking on 06/02)
Disney Port Adventures ( I don't CARE that they are more expensive...the whole "the ship will wait for you" is worth it to me and my family!)
Have breakfast at Royal Court
Pack a LBD that can be dressed up/down
See the matinee show
Mixology
Cruise meet
Bring air freshener
Bring our own beach towels to Castaway. It was soooo much easier to find our loungers with our towels.
Be among the 1st off the ship at CC. Had our pick of prime beach spots!

What we will NOT do again
Bingo (rip off!!)
Do any port "on our own"
Bring "gifts" for staff...they really, really prefer $$$. Oh, and our room attendant said they have to pay for bottled water if they want it, so when we gifted him with our extras, he was thrilled.
Bring refillable mugs for me/hubby. The child used one to make ice cream sodas, but that was the only one that got used.
Bring cheap batteries....bought so many packs on board for our camera, I will buy the good ones before we leave!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #310
outtabux
Earning My Ears

Reusable cups

I've seen a few people say they would not bring their refillable mugs. Why is that? On other posts people complain about how small the cups are. How do I decide if I should bring them or not?
outtabux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #311
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtabux View Post
I've seen a few people say they would not bring their refillable mugs. Why is that? On other posts people complain about how small the cups are. How do I decide if I should bring them or not?
The cups are not the large size you get at fast food places. I think they are about 12 oz, maybe a little larger. We found them plenty large enough. And, since you are requested to use their cups to fill your refillable one, you're already using up a cup that's destined for the trash now.

Bringing your own personal refillable mugs, you have to wash them out once in a while. I don't do dishes at home, why do it on vacation?

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #312
mom2aredhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

Bringing your own personal refillable mugs, you have to wash them out once in a while. I don't do dishes at home, why do it on vacation?
And besides the rinsing/washing my issue was what to do with it!
Once I finished my drink I either had to carry around an empty mug (or 2 or 3), or walk back to the cabin to put it away. Much easier to use theirs.

"Nobody on his deathbed ever said, "I wish I had spent more time at the office." - Paul Tsongas
mom2aredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #313
omalley1118
DIS Veteran

Really enjoying this thread!!! Thanks for all of the great ideas!

Will do again:
Walk on Deck 4 every morning-loved the peace and quiet, and it was great exercise
Skip some of the MDRs
Let the kids stay in the clubs for meals if they want
Have lunch the first day on the pool deck
Sit on a quiet deck and read a book
Try new food that I didn't think I would like

Will not:
Pedicure at the spa-overpriced as expected but only a handful of color choices and not pleased with the finished look
Play quite as much bingo--no point in even thinking of saying I won't do it at all...
Try to use the treadmills..it's a weird motion thing for me. The deck walk was much better
Walk barefoot on the pool deck...very hot!!!
Pack as much...yeah right!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #314
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

Will do again :
request the same server each cruise
Palo Dinner, platinum diners eat free
Grab lounge chairs early at the adult pool, then get coffee & pastry from Cove
Get off early at CC to get a good spot and to enjoy a full day of paradise !

Will Not do again :
Play bingo, ripoff, plus no fun w electronic cards
Spa, too pushy for products, never have nail polish colors I like
Will not go to all the shows. Have seen them many times
Pirate party, instead we'll get a drink, grab a lounge chair on Deck 4 and watch the fireworks
Buy bottled water. Ships water is filtered and taste good.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #315
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2aredhead

And besides the rinsing/washing my issue was what to do with it!
Once I finished my drink I either had to carry around an empty mug (or 2 or 3), or walk back to the cabin to put it away. Much easier to use theirs.
True . this is the case with souvenir cups too. On my Feb CCL, my cool twisty souvenir cup blew away and no one was willing to replace it...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: