Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
silmarg
SIL

When I was on the Fantasy last month, the ABD guide told me that DVC members always pay the lowest released price on ABD - which means they are immune to price increases. Is this true?

It looks like I will be back on the Fantasy in Aug, so I am hoping to book one of the Italy ADBs for 2014 at May prices AND get the 10% discount. Or am I just dreaming about these possibilities..

Also if I book aboard... can I transfer the ressie to DU?
2009 Feb - WDW (POP - buy 4 get 7 impromptu trip | Aug/Sep - Nine Days of FREE DINING and FREE SSR upgrade!
2010 Feb - Taking my parents to POR w Grand Kids | Sept - Pop Free Dining Bounce Back
2011 Feb - Grand California DVC Welcome Home | Aug - Disney Dream!!! (AKV b4 and BCV after)
2012 Feb - Carribean Beach / SSR split stay | Sept - 5 day NYC/Canadian Cruise on Magic | Oct - 3 day suprise the kids trip MNSSHP / F&W @ OKW
2013 Feb - Disney Fantasy (western) | Aug/Sept - Parents 50th Anniv. Disney Fantasy (eastern) and WDW (OKW)
2014 Feb - VGC and ABD BSM
2014 Aug - 2BR Kidani Savannah / BLT Studio
2014 Sept - Disney Magic Southern Caribbean
silmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #17
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silmarg View Post
When I was on the Fantasy last month, the ABD guide told me that DVC members always pay the lowest released price on ABD - which means they are immune to price increases. Is this true?

It looks like I will be back on the Fantasy in Aug, so I am hoping to book one of the Italy ADBs for 2014 at May prices AND get the 10% discount. Or am I just dreaming about these possibilities..
I am not sure about that. We are DVC members although we are big ABDers as well and book on release day. I guess if you use DVC points, you pay the same number of points whether it is release day or a few months before the tour date. Price-wise, I think regardless if you are DVC or not, you pay the prevailing cost at time of booking.

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Also if I book aboard... can I transfer the ressie to DU?
My understanding of how DVC works with DCL is that DVC negotiates a set number of cruise reservations at a set price with DCL. When they run out of reservations (this has happened; I think it was last year) then that's it, they can't book any more. And the price they negotiate with DCL is the price, no matter when you book. I'm sure some one will correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know if it works the same with ABD, but I would imagine it's similar. That they work out a set price (number of points or cash) with ABD. Again, if it works the same way as DCL, you won't be able to book through ABD, you'll have to book through DVC member services to get the DVC deal. Which means you might not qualify for the 10% onboard booking discount. Of course, DVC has a presence onboard; don't know if they'll be able to help you.

If you aren't booking via DVC, I can't imagine you'd get the DVC price just because you are a DVC member. I would think you'd be paying what everyone else is paying, but you'd qualify for the 10% discount, assuming ABD is still running that offer. I don't know about switching the reservation to DU. I've never talked to anyone who has tried to do that.

Of course, that's all educated guesswork on my part. I'd call DVC to find out for sure.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #19
paddles
Mouseketeer

Regarding transfering online booking to a travel agent, we were able to do that for our Australia trip this Dec. I booked onboard our cruise to get a 10% discount and named Costco as our TA....that way, we get an incremental ~8% back in Costco cash cards in addition to the 10% onboard discount!
paddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
silmarg
SIL

I hung out a few times w the ABD guide on the Fantasy on the ship and he was definitely referring to cash reservations by DVC members.

Not knowing much about ABD pricing, I was asking if pricing on ABD changed based on capacity (like DCL) he responded that it worked similar to DCL - that prices can rise quickly on the most popular tours / dates. He then asked if I was a DVC member my immediate response was "I don't own enough points to book ABD with points". His response was that I would get introductory pricing as a DVC member no matter when I book. I was of the impression that this benefit was available on and off ship - since I was lamenting about not being able to use the 10% discount on 2014 dates (since they werent released yet and I wasnt planning on being back aboard anytime soon).

But since it now looks like I may be back on the Fantasy in Aug, I may be able to take the discount. But if the pricing is not at the intro rates aboard, I may screw myself for waiting until Aug to book as the price increases could be bigger than the 10% savings.
2009 Feb - WDW (POP - buy 4 get 7 impromptu trip | Aug/Sep - Nine Days of FREE DINING and FREE SSR upgrade!
2010 Feb - Taking my parents to POR w Grand Kids | Sept - Pop Free Dining Bounce Back
2011 Feb - Grand California DVC Welcome Home | Aug - Disney Dream!!! (AKV b4 and BCV after)
2012 Feb - Carribean Beach / SSR split stay | Sept - 5 day NYC/Canadian Cruise on Magic | Oct - 3 day suprise the kids trip MNSSHP / F&W @ OKW
2013 Feb - Disney Fantasy (western) | Aug/Sept - Parents 50th Anniv. Disney Fantasy (eastern) and WDW (OKW)
Old 03-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #21
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I hung out a few times w the ABD guide on the Fantasy on the ship and he was definitely referring to cash reservations by DVC members.

Not knowing much about ABD pricing, I was asking if pricing on ABD changed based on capacity (like DCL) he responded that it worked similar to DCL - that prices can rise quickly on the most popular tours / dates. He then asked if I was a DVC member my immediate response was "I don't own enough points to book ABD with points". His response was that I would get introductory pricing as a DVC member no matter when I book. I was of the impression that this benefit was available on and off ship - since I was lamenting about not being able to use the 10% discount on 2014 dates (since they werent released yet and I wasnt planning on being back aboard anytime soon).

But since it now looks like I may be back on the Fantasy in Aug, I may be able to take the discount. But if the pricing is not at the intro rates aboard, I may screw myself for waiting until Aug to book as the price increases could be bigger than the 10% savings.
Thanks for that info. I had never heard of that as a DVC benefit. I'm sure several people here will be interested to hear how this all works out for you. Please let us know!

Sayhello
Old 03-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
MinnesotaChill
Mouseketeer

We'd also love Russia!

We adopted our daughter from Russia when she was four. She's now fourteen and we'd love to take her and our boys back to Russia, but it is NOT an easy place to visit as tourists. We'd love a Russian tour. I'd think with the tremendous amount of Russian adoptions by Americans over the last 15 years, it would be a popular trip....
MinnesotaChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #23
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaChill View Post
We adopted our daughter from Russia when she was four. She's now fourteen and we'd love to take her and our boys back to Russia, but it is NOT an easy place to visit as tourists. We'd love a Russian tour. I'd think with the tremendous amount of Russian adoptions by Americans over the last 15 years, it would be a popular trip....
Cool idea!

Sayhello
Old 03-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #24
rrali33tt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufbuf View Post
I am not sure about that. We are DVC members although we are big ABDers as well and book on release day. I guess if you use DVC points, you pay the same number of points whether it is release day or a few months before the tour date. Price-wise, I think regardless if you are DVC or not, you pay the prevailing cost at time of booking.
When is "release day"? I am looking to book an ABD Germany trip for honeymoon in 2014 and would like to book as soon as I can to avoid any price increases. When you are paying for a wedding I try to save money whereever I can!

rrali33tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #25
silmarg
SIL

Quote:

If you listen to the most recent DIS podcast (3/26/13 News,Housekeeping Rapidfire at the 39:15 mark), Kevin "annouced" / confirmed what I wrote above that... DVC members "guaranteed to get the lowest price" on ABD trips!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #26
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrali33tt View Post
When is "release day"? I am looking to book an ABD Germany trip for honeymoon in 2014 and would like to book as soon as I can to avoid any price increases. When you are paying for a wedding I try to save money whereever I can!
Some time in May. We haven't gotten an exact date yet.

Sayhello
Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #27
hilarys
Hilary S

Quote:
If you listen to the most recent DIS podcast (3/26/13 News,Housekeeping Rapidfire at the 39:15 mark), Kevin "annouced" / confirmed what I wrote above that... DVC members "guaranteed to get the lowest price" on ABD trips!
We just came off the Fantasy on Saturday and went to the ABD presentation and spoke with the representative at the booth. He was adamant that cash ressies made by DVC members always get the opening day price even if prices have gone up. He made this statement several times. We are strongly considering our first ABD for next year waiting for dates to come out.

We would also love a Russia trip with 2 kiddos adopted from Russia. Would be so much easier to take them back "Disney style" than to do it on our own.

Hilary
hilarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #28
hilarys
Hilary S

Also, the representative hinted that there were some exciting new things coming.

Hilary
hilarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #29
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilarys View Post
Also, the representative hinted that there were some exciting new things coming.

Hilary
Oooooh!!!!.... I wonder what that would be! Hopefully it's just a month wait!!

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #30
MickeyWatch
Mouseketeer

Russia would be a great ABD destination. DCL did a two day stop in Russia on our 2010 Baltic cruise so they have some experience in the country. Even with two full days and White nights in Russia, I felt that there was a lot that we missed. I would definately consider that trip for 2014 or 2015.

First Trip: Disneyland July 1965 with my grandparents
16th B-Day at the Contemporary in 1973
Many trips to WDW since then
DCL Mediterranean Cruise July 7, 2007
Margaret's 8th B-Day trip to the Poly, June 2008
Grand Floridian Nov. 2008, March 2009, November 2009
Disney's Inaugural Northern European Capitals Cruise June 12, 2010
MickeyWatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: