Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
Bus36
"Life does not start and stop at your convenience."

Room only vs package - Make sure my thinking is correct

Going to stay at POP in October. 4 adults 2 kids, 2 rooms. Plan to book in the next few days. First time I'm booking my own trip.

Right now were leaning against the dining plan. The 2 ladies don't eat very much. We think we'd likely share meals often eather between 2 adults or at least an adult and a child. Also, when we do TS, we don't like all the desserts as we like to get ice cream or treats later in the park.

So we're looking at room and tickets. The room only seems to have better deposit and cancellation terms. The advantage to getting tickets now would be to lock in current prices. Also I could purchase tickes from somewhere else like UT. I don't know if I would purchase tix from UT now in case a package discount would be offered by Disney in the future. I'm thinking the savings protection from a price increase now (buying from Disney) and purchasing from UT (if I wait and there is a price increase) may be about the same (maybe around 5%).

Like everybody else. I'm also waiting and seeing if any discounts are offered or if I would receive a PIN.

So I'm leaning towards room only booking now, a wait and see approach on discounts, and if I still end up with room only and not a package... I may get tix from the cheapest place I can close to the time of the trip (likely UT).

Good logic or better suggestions?
Bus36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

This far in advance, until any discounts are announced I would look to have something that is easily cancelled with no penalties, which room only reservation is.

Some of the discounts like free dining,require purchase of tickets, just to be aware since you are looking at outside ticket sources.

Good luck!

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect
March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!
October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!
June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip..fantastic!
March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
January, 2015, Art of Animation
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
mmmears
DIS Veteran

We don't want the DDP (like you we share meals at times and don't want the drinks or the desserts), so we book room-only almost every time. I like the cancellation policy and the flexibility it gives us. Definitely this far out, when you are waiting to find out about discounts, I'd book room only. Then if a great room-only discount comes out, or a good package is released, you can switch your reservation to take advantage of it.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Bus36
"Life does not start and stop at your convenience."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetbeachgal View Post
This far in advance, until any discounts are announced I would look to have something that is easily cancelled with no penalties, which room only reservation is.

Some of the discounts like free dining,require purchase of tickets, just to be aware since you are looking at outside ticket sources.

Good luck!
I was aware of that. I wouldn't buy tickets from an outside source until shortly before the trip and I knew Disney played its best hand. Even then I may still get them from Disney just for the convenience.

Thanks!
Bus36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

We were in your situtation a few months ago...no discount so we held room only reservation at Pop, then Read on these boards about a 20% off sale on Orbitz so booked that and upgraded to POFQ, and cancelled Disney room only res. Now supposedly a DIsney sale will be coming out for our dates in June, so will compare price when it is officially announced, and cancel ORBITZ if Disney offer is less (everything refundable!). Go with the flow!!

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect
March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!
October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!
June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip..fantastic!
March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
January, 2015, Art of Animation
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus36 View Post
Going to stay at POP in October. 4 adults 2 kids, 2 rooms. Plan to book in the next few days. First time I'm booking my own trip.

Right now were leaning against the dining plan. The 2 ladies don't eat very much. We think we'd likely share meals often eather between 2 adults or at least an adult and a child. Also, when we do TS, we don't like all the desserts as we like to get ice cream or treats later in the park.

So we're looking at room and tickets. The room only seems to have better deposit and cancellation terms. The advantage to getting tickets now would be to lock in current prices. Also I could purchase tickes from somewhere else like UT. I don't know if I would purchase tix from UT now in case a package discount would be offered by Disney in the future. I'm thinking the savings protection from a price increase now (buying from Disney) and purchasing from UT (if I wait and there is a price increase) may be about the same (maybe around 5%).

Like everybody else. I'm also waiting and seeing if any discounts are offered or if I would receive a PIN.

So I'm leaning towards room only booking now, a wait and see approach on discounts, and if I still end up with room only and not a package... I may get tix from the cheapest place I can close to the time of the trip (likely UT).

Good logic or better suggestions?
DDP would not work with my or my families eating styles so we do RO. We too often share meals or get snacks instead of a meal, and I would rather go get a treat I like then eat some of the desserts they offer at resturants.

I just get tickets when I get there.

So I think your logic is good.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

When Disney raises their ticket prices, it is done very quickly. You may hear something, and in 1-2 days the increase is in effect. At that same time, UT will still sell their tickets (the exact same tickets) at the old prices for at least one week and maybe two weeks. I have purchased from UT at the old price, after a ticket price increase, for the last 2 trips. Just remember, if you want to upgrade your tickets in any way, wait and use them first thru a park turnstile. Using them first elevates them to current Disney gate price, for calculating cost of a ticket upgrade. In other words, you get to keep your UT discount. Most anyone on these Boards would agree: UT is absolutely the best place for WDW tickets.

Here's "Everything About WDW Tickets." It explains it all. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1452684
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #8
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I would agree, the times we haven't had APs we've used UT for tickets. They are great.

If you book room only, you aren't protected from ticket price increase.

We usually book room only, but last January we booked the stay/play & dine promo because both room & dining were discounted. So it was a fairly good deal. There was no free dining.

I'd wait till discounts come out to book. There isn't a benefit to booking before discounts come out, IMO. You will have to get on the phone first thing when a discount comes out, to see if it can be applied to your reservation. And there's no guarantee just because you have a room, that room will be included in the promo. Wdw is becoming very selective and not all resorts or all room categories are included in the promos. They will only discount inventory that needs to sell.

So in a way, Booking at rack rate before discounts come out, works against you. If enough rooms in the resort you've booked are sold, they will not discount that resort or room category.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: