Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #16
Rustyroo
Mouseketeer

You DO realize the dining plan really doesn't net any real savings anymore for the most part, right? http://seeyareelsoon.wix.com/ has a calculator to see if this is indeed the case for your group. If OOP is the same as the dining plan, just do as dansdad mentioned. You could even buy tix through Disney, the savings buying elsewhere IME isn't that much anyway. Also, paying OOP allows you to split meals or share with children who don't eat much anyway. JMHO...
Rustyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyroo View Post
You DO realize the dining plan really doesn't net any real savings anymore for the most part, right? http://seeyareelsoon.wix.com/ has a calculator to see if this is indeed the case for your group. If OOP is the same as the dining plan, just do as dansdad mentioned. You could even buy tix through Disney, the savings buying elsewhere IME isn't that much anyway. Also, paying OOP allows you to split meals or share with children who don't eat much anyway. JMHO...
I honestly haven't ran the numbers, but with many ADR's I figured having the DP would save us money.

When booking a Character Meal, say Chef Mickey's is my 4 yr old able to eat off my plate or am I required to pay for him even if he eats like a bird?
I have 2 kids 4 and 6. My 6 year old can eat, but my 4 yr old eats next to nothing.
I had assumed that when we make a reservation we have to pay for everyone in the party, even if my 4 yr old doesn't eat much.
For the 4 of us, the price is appx $146 per day. To eat at Chef Mickey's it is around $38 per adult and $20 per child which totals $116 appx without taxes.

This is only 1 meal, so to have the DP would be more beneficial (for this day anyways)

Now, we do have some days we don't have ADR's, and yes, we would never eat $150 worth of food on these days, but we have appx 6 or 7 (can't think right now) ADR's which would run around the $110 each time if not more (MMBYBBQ is quite expensive)

Its really a tough call!
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #18
smidgy
dimples

yes, the "worth" of the dining plan varies from family to family. It is just the 2 of us, and we can eat pretty cheaply. (esp. when we drive, and bring bread, lunchmeat, mac salad, chips, coffee cake, etc.)
the thing I like about the dining plan is I am a waitress, so I love eating out at a nice restaurant and being served. we don't do character buffets ourselves. but when we have the dining plan, I can order the New York strip, or the whole lobster at Narcosses. to me it's a treat.
last spring we did try the Quick Service only plan. (hubby always wanted to try it. he hates being "bogged down" by reservations) even though we stayed at Coronado (and at the time, they had the great breakfast and lunch buffets), Disney still beat us up! we ended up with at least 4 CS credits left over, and brought home a bunch of crappy snacks! last time we do that!

that's why I like a split stay, with the dining plan for the first half. I get to eat at some nice restaurants, and we try to stretch it a bit to cover the first day of the 2nd resort. (use up those snack credits with things to save for the 2nd half, too! don't wast them on a bottle of soda)

Last edited by smidgy; 03-24-2013 at 12:13 AM.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
Kaarin
Earning My Ears

we have a split stay planned, likely with the dining -- haven't added it yet, but thinking deluxe -- at the beginning at WL, followed by 5 nights GF club room.
Kaarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #20
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You DO realize the dining plan really doesn't net any real savings anymore for the most part, right?
It can be a big savings, IMO, depending on how/where one eats. Everyone's situation is different and what works for one family might not work for another. Some people do save on the DDP, while others spend more money than what they would if they were to pay OOP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinkerfrosch View Post
When booking a Character Meal, say Chef Mickey's is my 4 yr old able to eat off my plate or am I required to pay for him even if he eats like a bird?
At all buffets and all you can eat restaurants, everyone pays full price, regardless of the amount they will eat.
Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Here are my thoughts.
With a 4 and 6 year old - if you have a lot of character meals and ADR's planned, the Dining Plan will probably be a good idea.
As you have read from the info - a split stay with the Dining Plan is not the most cost effective - especially considering you do not have another trip planned for a while.
We did a split stay once when our kids were little - and it wasn't for us -it wasn't a big deal to do the actual transfer - but I never felt settled at the first resort, then when we got to the second 1/2 and I finally settled in and unpacked - I felt like my vacation was too short. Weird I know.
My advice to you is pick a resort you want to stay at and get the Dining Plan for your entire stay.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
triciari
DIS Veteran

Did anyone yet mention that annual pass holders can buy the dining plan (without extra tickets, of course.).
Old 03-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #23
MermaidMommy
DIS Veteran

This might have been mentioned, but to be eligible for Free Dining, you would have to get two-day tickets on your 2nd resort, rather than the 1-day ticket that's required for the (not-free) Dining Plan. That's an additional $724. If Free Dining does become a possibility, make sure you run your numbers to see if Free Dining or a Room Only discount would work for you. Usually, the room discount is better, but every family is different.

Also, if you do the split stay, remember that your leftover snack or meal credits won't transfer from the first hotel to the second. We didn't realize this, and ended up at 11:00pm buying whatever we could at ASM food court before our credits expired at midnight.

MermaidMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #24
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciari View Post
Did anyone yet mention that annual pass holders can buy the dining plan (without extra tickets, of course.).
I don't think this has been mentioned, but you are correct. AP holders can book a ticketless package (AP + Dine) without having to buy tickets .
Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #25
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidMommy View Post
Also, if you do the split stay, remember that your leftover snack or meal credits won't transfer from the first hotel to the second. We didn't realize this, and ended up at 11:00pm buying whatever we could at ASM food court before our credits expired at midnight.
technically correct. but you can use those credits at any WDW theme park OR resort until midnight the night of checkout.

which is WHY I mentioned saving a CS credit , some snack credits, and a TS credit for the lat day (to S t r e t c h out the dining plan) we do this on purpose.

as I said, the first night at the new resort , you have a nice table service dinner. and you can get a cs dinner to go (and put it in your fridge) and use up the rest of your snacks to keep in your room (chips, etc.)

we ahve done it NUMEROUS times, it works great for us.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #26
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
Here are my thoughts.
With a 4 and 6 year old - if you have a lot of character meals and ADR's planned, the Dining Plan will probably be a good idea.
As you have read from the info - a split stay with the Dining Plan is not the most cost effective - especially considering you do not have another trip planned for a while.
We did a split stay once when our kids were little - and it wasn't for us -it wasn't a big deal to do the actual transfer - but I never felt settled at the first resort, then when we got to the second 1/2 and I finally settled in and unpacked - I felt like my vacation was too short. Weird I know. My advice to you is pick a resort you want to stay at and get the Dining Plan for your entire stay.
now THAT is so true! one of the downsides of a split stay... we always want to start with the resort we like least. AND we want the longer stay (if any) to be at the end of the stay.

splitting the trip up DOES seem to make it "segmented," and therefore put a bit more emphasis on the "gee, we're on the last part of the trip". esp. when we drive, there is something to be said for "settling in" at the resort, (nesting, if you will). putting our all your snacks, etc. .

so, you see, there is NO ONE WAY ONLY to do a disney trip!!!! they all work, for various reasons! which makes it so much fun to plan the next one! and plan it Just a "tad" differently.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #27
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
Here are my thoughts.
this is why I suggested that they only do the dining plan for the 1st resort (package, plus dining plan plus tickets for the entire stay) and a room only for the 2nd resort (the tickets from the 1st resort/package are still good.

this way they could fit in the pricey character buffets in the first part and not have to pay full price for tickets again. and eat a little more chealy for the 2nd part.

maybe the OP would be better off just doing things as easily as possible and staying at one resort. (I LIKE to complicate things) gives her anexcuse to come back!!!
(ps whichever way you do it, OP you will have FUN!!!!)
Old 03-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #28
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Many great reasons to not do a split stay, and why to do a split stay!?

Thank-you to everyone, I have a lot to think about!

I too like to complicate things sometimes, and don't always pick the "easier" route.
I also tend to over think things, and this why I ask for help. It's great to get opinions from people that don't know me because I get their honest opinion.

Thanks again....I'm going to run some numbers now
Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #29
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The link is not working for me

Thanks though
Old 03-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #30
MermaidMommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post

technically correct. but you can use those credits at any WDW theme park OR resort until midnight the night of checkout.

which is WHY I mentioned saving a CS credit , some snack credits, and a TS credit for the lat day (to S t r e t c h out the dining plan) we do this on purpose.

as I said, the first night at the new resort , you have a nice table service dinner. and you can get a cs dinner to go (and put it in your fridge) and use up the rest of your snacks to keep in your room (chips, etc.)

we ahve done it NUMEROUS times, it works great for us.
My point was to remind OP that unused credits will expire at midnight of the day they check out of the first hotel, even though they are moving to another Disney property. We would have preferred to use up our snack credits for more expensive items in the parks, rather than cheaper chips and such at the food court, but we didn't realize they wouldn't transfer to the 2nd hotel and were forced to spend the credits at the last minute.

MermaidMommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: