Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
PismoDude
Earning My Ears

First time WDW visit with Grandkids-Need Help

Hello Gentlepersons,
I would appreciate any tips and info regarding booking a resort hotel. Looking at the Polynesian, Floridian and Cont hotel group. My wife is leaning toward the Poly, but, not sure if this is a good choice. We will be visiting first and second week of 9-13. Also, is there any benefit in purchasing the annual pass (discounts and such). We had annual passes before (Disneyland, yes we are in CA). I would appreciate any info offered. Thanks
PismoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Goofy4
DIS Veteran

It's all "Disney", so it's all good

Can you tell us anything more about the Grandkids? Ages?
  • 00's ASsp (Nov '01), OKW (Aug '03), BWV (Oct '05), Pop (May '06), ASmu (April '08), Cabins/Kidani(June '09) Trip Report
  • 10's WL (April '10), SSR (Jan '12)
Goofy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Personally I think the Poly is a fantastic choice -- nice pools and beach for relaxing, a great atmosphere, beautiful gardens, good food, and the IMO the best transportation options since you can catch a boat or monorail to the MK and walk to the TTC to catch the direct monorail to Epcot.

Having said that, we've stayed at the GF several times and loved it there. Skipped it on our last trip because there is construction going on right now and I wanted a more peaceful/relaxing atmosphere and a resort not undergoing a major addition/renovation. If it's done by the time you are there, or you think the construction won't bother you, I'd consider the GF as well. It's a great resort.

As for the CR, you can walk to the MK, but have to take 2 monorails to get to Epcot. Another good option.

They all have great dining choices (especially since you can hop from one to another easily), are close to the MK, and are nice resorts. However, their themes and room decor very tremendously -- I suggest you look at the photos of the rooms and the resorts online since one may appeal to you more than the others -- since they are all good, I'd really suggest just picking the one that you think you'd enjoy the most. You can't really go wrong here...

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy4 View Post
It's all "Disney", so it's all good

Can you tell us anything more about the Grandkids? Ages?
Yes, more info would be good. For example, I'm 51, husband is 53 and our grandkids are 15 and 6 (the 15 year old was ready made for those who are good at math). We'd be doing things totally different from grandparents in their 70s and teenage grandkids.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
KerryCM
DIS Veteran

Location: Murfreesboro, TN now, but will always be a MA girl!

We have gone with our children and grandchildren the past three years. Though the MK resorts are nice their choice has always been the Boardwalk Inn. Our grandchildren are 11,10,4,3 and 1 and they loved the pool area and Epcot. It was easy for them taking the busses to MK and Ak. They utilized the monorail also. We stay club level and it is a huge help with the kids. Their parents love being able to grab breakfast for them and having snacks to take to the park. They also gave the children juice boxes to drink.
I have to say it is so much fun going with them and we can't wait for this years trip at Thanksgiving.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
Dana49
No longer lonely without a tag
The TF's think you like your beer ;-)
If you love the magic, you'll never be too old

We've stayed at almost all of the deluxe resorts and we prefer the Epcot resorts over the MK resorts. The AK is too far away from everything. The MK resorts are nice, but transportation can be tough. The Epcot resorts are w/ in walking distance to much more, and we love their pools.

"It's funny what happens when you become a grandparent. You start to act all goofy and do things you never thought you'd do. It's terrific." - Mike Krzyzewski
Dana49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
Personally I think the Poly is a fantastic choice -- nice pools and beach for relaxing, a great atmosphere, beautiful gardens, good food, and the IMO the best transportation options since you can catch a boat or monorail to the MK and walk to the TTC to catch the direct monorail to Epcot.

Having said that, we've stayed at the GF several times and loved it there. It's a great resort.

As for the CR, you can walk to the MK, but have to take 2 monorails to get to Epcot. Another good option.

They all have great dining choices (especially since you can hop from one to another easily), are close to the MK, and are nice resorts. However, their themes and room decor very tremendously -- I suggest you look at the photos of the rooms and the resorts online since one may appeal to you more than the others -- since they are all good, I'd really suggest just picking the one that you think you'd enjoy the most. You can't really go wrong here...
I agree . Our favorite is the Poly as we love the tropical theme/decor and everything else about the resort, but we also had great stays at the GF (have not stayed at the CR). The Poly would be my first choice, but you really can't go wrong with any of them as they are all great resorts and all 3 offer great transportation/dining options. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Goofy4
DIS Veteran

Take a look at http://www.mousesavers.com/walt-disn...orld-vacation/

Disney will likely offer some type a deal in that time period. If you're making multiple visits than an annual pass can help. Sounds like you are a Florida resident?

The pools/slides at the Boardwalk and Yacht/Beach clubs are excellent if the kids are in to that. They can also roam a little more at those resorts.

The elegance of the Floridian might be lost on them a little, but certainly nothing wrong with any of the resorts (and certainly not the Polynesian, which also has a nice pool).
  • 00's ASsp (Nov '01), OKW (Aug '03), BWV (Oct '05), Pop (May '06), ASmu (April '08), Cabins/Kidani(June '09) Trip Report
  • 10's WL (April '10), SSR (Jan '12)
Goofy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
Tink-n-Belle
DIS Veteran

I do split stays at the MK resorts then go over to the Epcot resorts as I love being within walking distance to a park, however, you have to repack and you don't have a room fo a day, but you stated you were going for the 1 &2 week of Sept..so a split stay would be great as you would get to experience 2 resorts.

All the Mk resorts are magical.... just pick the theming you like best. Nothing beats being on the monorail for convenience and awe... its just so cool imo. Plus you can visit each resort via the monorail, as the dining options are fantastic at all of them.

Th Epcot resorts are located at the back of Epcot (you enter between France and england) and you are only a 5 min walk or boat ride to the gate.. nothing is better then being back at your resort after illuminations in 5 minutes. The pool at the BC is the best.... it has sand in it and special little beach area maybe 2 feet deep for the little ones ... I just love to hang out there...but then their is a volleyball area with a sand bottom again, in the pool and a lazy river. Also, they have movies on the beach and the Bw area is really fun at night. The Bw is great too but doesn't have the pool that the beach Club has....

You are within walking distance to DHS too or a 15 min boat ride away which is very relaxing and pretty.

Depends on the ages of the kids but the AP will give you some great discounts, but it may be better to get the park hopper with the waterpark options and enjoy the resort a few days. I know I can't do the parks everyday and want at least 2 days out of 7 just to relax and do nothing.....Disney World is huge....Just getting around to Mk and Dtd can take 30 mins and thats if you drive yourself. Its very spread out. It took us 30 min to go from the Contemporary to the Ak lodge....please keep that in mind when you pick a resort....thats why I split up staying at the MK and Epcot resorts each trip.

I would look at the cost of the Ap and then see how many days you will be there. The parks usually close early in Sept so keep that in mind when purchasing a hopper too. Also will you be on the dinning plan? If you are that will determine too if the Ap is right for you. You can purchase a Table in wonderland card that gives you 20% off dining, but if your on the dining plan it won't save you on thefood just adult drinks, but the card is $125. Sometimes just one in the party purchase an AP just to get the lodging discount, but since you are going in Sept its already discounted...

Sounds like a great trip... you should have low crowds and great weather, although the 1st week may be a little humid...Have a great time.

BWV 12,11,10,09,08,07, 06(2) *BLT 13,12,11,10 *BCV 13,12,06 *AKV 08*VB 06,08 & 09*Cont 02 *Poly 86 *Grand Floridian 88 *All Stars 94 & 04 *Club villas 84,85,87,90,92 & 99 *offsite 83,81,80,76 &73
Tink-n-Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

It will really depend on your preference for style from any of the above mentioned resorts. We LOVE the Poly and did a multi-generational trip last year. Grandma and Grandpa took 18 of us to WDW and we stayed at the Poly. There is nothing like being able to see Cinderella's Castle across the lake. The kids ranged in age from 18 to 2 and everyone was thrilled with the choice (even my kids with this being their 4th trip to the Poly).

You will have a great pool, easy access to the monorail for Magic Kingdom and Epcot and buses to Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. The rooms are also in the process of being refurbished. This year we wanted to try something different (a little nervous) and we are trying the Beach Club near Epcot.

Good luck on your decision and try going to the different resort threads for more info and pictures then the WDW website.
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

1971DBday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
PismoDude
Earning My Ears

Thank you all for the wonderful info

Dear gentlepersons,
Thanks for the info this really helps. Some of you asked for the ages of grandkids (5 and 8). As for the G-parents a very young 60's (well that is what I keep telling myself). Being that the kids are on the young side we most likely will spending more time at the MK. Although, G-pa is looking forward to Epcot for the first time. Thanks again and this site is awesome!
PismoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
cindym
Mouseketeer

We too are young 60s grandparents. We took an almost 3 year old grandson and his parents 2 years ago. We stayed in a 2 room villa at the BWV. This worked out really well. We could walk to Epcot when we needed a break from each other. We sent the parents to dinner at Epcot and we rode the "boots" (as my grandson called the boats). That was one of his favorite rides. This year we are all going back to the BWVs. But we now have a 2 year old and the other grandson will be 5. We like the villas because of the extra room. You will have a great time no matter what you choose!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Quote:
Originally Posted by PismoDude View Post
My wife is leaning toward the Poly, but, not sure if this is a good choice.
As I am sure you know by now, making the wife happy is by far the highest priority.

We are also the same age bracket, except that we don't take the kids or grandkids, and while all of the Deluxe resorts have their advantages and disadvantages, for us the Poly is the ideal location. You have the monorails (both resort and express) and boats (including the ferry) to the MK (we like taking the monorail in the morning and then take the boat back in the evening) and the short walk to the TTC to take the monorail to Epcot. My wife is an early riser and loves walking around the Poly and over to the GF early in the morning. We probably spend 80% of our park time in the MK and Epcot and it is hard to beat watching the fireworks from the Poly beach and then just walking back to your room.

The grandkids will probably love wherever you decide to stay so I would say to go with what you think will make your wife happy.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Quote:
Originally Posted by PismoDude View Post
Also, is there any benefit in purchasing the annual pass (discounts and such). We had annual passes before (Disneyland, yes we are in CA).
This thread has all of the information you could possibly need about tickets:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1452684

If you go to DisneyLand frequently then check post number 3 in the ticket thread for the Disney Premier Pass (good at both WDW and DisneyLand).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: