Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
SafariTigger
Mouseketeer

Mod vs. Swan/Dol for Teacher??

My friend (who is a teacher) is booking her first trip with her family to WDW for this August. She is currently thinking POFQ but I was wondering if with the teacher discount if she would get a better price at the Swan & Dolphin? I am a DVC member so I have never tried booking there but I have heard that teacher's can get a pretty great price. Which would be better for her?

Disney Wonder - Honeymoon cruise July '02
Port Orleans Riverside - Honeymoon continues - July '02
Became DVC Member! - July '02
Hilton Head - August '03
Saratoga Springs - April '06 (Craig's 1st trip)
Saratoga Springs - August '08 (Kelly's 1st trip)
Vero Beach/Wilderness Lodge - March '10
Vero Beach/Boardwalk - June/July '13
Disney Dream/Vero Beach - July '14
SafariTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariTigger View Post
My friend (who is a teacher) is booking her first trip with her family to WDW for this August. She is currently thinking POFQ but I was wondering if with the teacher discount if she would get a better price at the Swan & Dolphin? I am a DVC member so I have never tried booking there but I have heard that teacher's can get a pretty great price. Which would be better for her?
There are a lot of variables that can factor into this. We stayed with a teacher rate at the Dolphin last summer in a 2 bedroom grand suite and chose to stay there because we paid 1/3 of the price we would've paid getting the same amount of space at a Disney resort. However, for a single room to room comparison, the mods are more affordable. Some of the other things you have to consider, though, are:

*Is there a current MYW discount available? Makes the mods even more affordable and sometimes (like now) you also get a ticket discount.
* The location of the S&D is fabulous and prevents using busses to all parks.
* Do you want an in your face Disney theme and feel? We felt the Dolphin to be a little stale and it was awkward coming back from the parks everyday sweaty and rain-soaked and having to excuse ourselves through all the beautifully suited up convention goers at the bar.
*The nightly teacher rate at the S&D might seem comparable to the mods, but the S&D then add in resort fees, parking fees, etc... which makes the rate higher.

Hope some of that helps? We chose POR this summer instead of the Dolphin teacher rate beacuse it ended up being a few hundred $ cheaper and we wanted it to be more themey
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
SRUAlmn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
SafariTigger
Mouseketeer

Thanks! I think since this is her first trip with 3 small children she wants to be as immersed in Disneyness as she can! I just thought that if the price at Swan & Dolphin was too good to pass up that she may want to consider it. Based on your response though, I think POFQ would be her better choice.

Disney Wonder - Honeymoon cruise July '02
Port Orleans Riverside - Honeymoon continues - July '02
Became DVC Member! - July '02
Hilton Head - August '03
Saratoga Springs - April '06 (Craig's 1st trip)
Saratoga Springs - August '08 (Kelly's 1st trip)
Vero Beach/Wilderness Lodge - March '10
Vero Beach/Boardwalk - June/July '13
Disney Dream/Vero Beach - July '14
SafariTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariTigger View Post
Thanks! I think since this is her first trip with 3 small children she wants to be as immersed in Disneyness as she can! I just thought that if the price at Swan & Dolphin was too good to pass up that she may want to consider it. Based on your response though, I think POFQ would be her better choice.
I would definitely say for a first trip with three little ones that she should definitely stay at POFQ! Funny, that was where we stayed on our first trip and we have 3 kiddos in my family too
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
SRUAlmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
TrentzMom
Earning My Ears

I teach in Virginia and looked into the Teacher Rates at the S & D...I wasn't impressed. We are looking at going the 2nd or 3rd week in August and the last time I checked the rooms were $159-$169 and then you add in a parking fee. We are hoping that they offer at least a room discount for summer which makes staying at a Mod. much more cost efficent. The location is wonderful but I just can't see paying that at this point.
**June 1996 - Contemporary***July 2005 - Off-Site****August 2009 - 10th Anniversary Trip with All the Family @ Saratoga Springs****August 2012 - 13th Anniversary Trip (just the 2 of us) @ All-Star Music****August 2013 - @ All-Star Sports** **December 2013 - Band Trip @ Saratoga Springs (The band stayed at ASMusic)*****August 2014 - 15th Anniversary Trip @ Dolphin******June 2015 - Youth Group Trip @ TBD***

TrentzMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: