Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #16
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,491
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
Why not just enjoy your vacation and not worry about it.
Why? Because WDW is one big petrie dish during the winter months!!! While I don't always agree with the whole 'sanitizing my room' practice, I do make it a point to wash my hands, thoroughly, before sitting down to eat. I make it a point to wash them more often than I normally would at home. There are a lot of bugs being shared in WDW...happens anytime you get that many people traveling from all around the world all congregating in one place.
So, why not take an ounce of prevention? It takes just a few minutes to stay healthy. Believe me...I completely enjoy my vacations at WDW and seldom give germs more than a moment's thought!
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
wdwmaw
planin' next trip
 
wdwmaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: georgetown, ky
Posts: 2,614

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Those sound terrific. But, in all reality?? Aren't you really better off making constant runs to the restrooms to wash those hands, while in the parks?? That's where I figure I'm going to be picking up the most germs...on railings and handles and such in the parks!!! Have you ever watched kids in a line at an attraction???? Very yucky stuff is going onto those railings and handles!!!!
So, don't forget to add hand washing to your day in addition to that room sanitizing!!
We do constantly wash our hands and we don't use hand sanitizer. I actually do take a wipe to the parks with us and wipe the surface down where we eat. Done pretty good in life, outside of allergies, none of us have ever been real sick. Have taught everyone since birth , DD-16 and DS-21, to never use their palms if they don't have to and to sneeze or cough in elbows. I work in a school and your right what people can do is down right nasty.

Great point about the parks and the germs just aren't in. The parks. I am not a germaphobe just aware of my surroundings and what could be there.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
dh meds dsgdd



24 trips and plannin' the next 1
wdwmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
Ofinn
DIS Veteran
 
Ofinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Why? Because WDW is one big petrie dish during the winter months!!! While I don't always agree with the whole 'sanitizing my room' practice, I do make it a point to wash my hands, thoroughly, before sitting down to eat. I make it a point to wash them more often than I normally would at home. There are a lot of bugs being shared in WDW...happens anytime you get that many people traveling from all around the world all congregating in one place.
So, why not take an ounce of prevention? It takes just a few minutes to stay healthy. Believe me...I completely enjoy my vacations at WDW and seldom give germs more than a moment's thought!
I would assume most people wash their hands and practice good hygiene. The whole sanitizing the room thing is a bit OCD to me. Chlorine and bleach(basically the same thing) are actually one of the worst things for your immune system). I think hand washing is a good thing, but their are a lot of germaphobs out there that take things to the extreme. I'm not sure why people assume absorbing and inhaling chemicals is good for them. Just my opinion.
Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise
 
disney1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10,178

Make sure they are antiviral and not alcohol wipes, which won't kill norovirus.
__________________
Life is a Journey – remember to appreciate everyday -- be happy for this moment...this moment is your life



disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #20
MrsBlovesDisney
DIS Veteran
 
MrsBlovesDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MA/RI BORDER
Posts: 1,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynamewastaken View Post
Thanks for the info. I just ordered some from ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwdw View Post
Thanks. Just ordered from ebay as well. $12 with free shipping.....
now...that's a big tub....and we are flying and probably will just need for the plane and hotel room. So.....maybe pack some in zip lock baggies? Seems stupid to bring 160 of them???
Me too! Me too! I will likely be putting some into a few ziplocks as well! Thanks for doing the research!!!
__________________
Me DH DD DS
The Contemporary will always be our first love.... ....we're so glad DVC built the BLT!!
DVC @ OKW & BLT

Fell in love with the Mouse on our Honeymoon in 1992...been hooked ever since!


2014 TRIPS: March BLT 1 BDRM TPV, Nov BLT 2 BDRM
NEXT TRIP: April 2015 BLT 1 BDRM TPV
MrsBlovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 313

My husband works for a chemical/janitorial company that sells Oxivir and I have used them many many times in cleaning at my house. Just a small tip---if you use the wipes extensively, you might want to wear rubber gloves. The peroxide in them will mess up the skin on your fingertips and leave a very weird texture. It might not bother everyone, but it drives me crazy! I feel like I constantly need to apply lotion if I forget to wear gloves.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #22
sea nymph
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
The whole sanitizing the room thing is a bit OCD to me. Chlorine and bleach(basically the same thing) are actually one of the worst things for your immune system). I think hand washing is a good thing, but their are a lot of germaphobs out there that take things to the extreme. I'm not sure why people assume absorbing and inhaling chemicals is good for them. Just my opinion.
I live with one and it sure makes life miserable!
sea nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #23
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night
 
Sparkly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: England
Posts: 2,271

We didn't clean our Kidani Studio at all, touching remotes, bedspreads, curtains..nobody got sick! (well, I did a little but that's probably due to overdoing it at Ohana the next night)
__________________


Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #24
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,491
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
I would assume most people wash their hands and practice good hygiene. The whole sanitizing the room thing is a bit OCD to me. Chlorine and bleach(basically the same thing) are actually one of the worst things for your immune system). I think hand washing is a good thing, but their are a lot of germaphobs out there that take things to the extreme. I'm not sure why people assume absorbing and inhaling chemicals is good for them. Just my opinion.
I hear ya!! I'm one of those that had the tip of her nose go numb at pools when dd was in swim classes!!! It was the chlorine in the water, being heated a bit.

But, while most people do practice good hygiene, just watch little kids. Oh dear God...the stuff I see them do and then put their hands on railings. Just imagine what would happen if 20/20 ever took a black light to one of the attractions at WDW and scanned the handrails in the lines, or the grab bars on the actual ride!!! Horrifying.
So, we try to wash our hands more often than usual and then keep them away from our faces when traveling. We've yet to get sick and I have never 'sanitized' a room before. Yes, I've walked on the carpet in bare feet, I touched, and used, the remote without cleaning it first. I have actually used the wrapped glasses to drink from and I leave my toothbrush out, but the brush end of it in a travel cover thing. No germs yet.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #25
kandb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,275

I always sanitize hotel rooms when we first arrive. But in reality, if there was a family in the room who had the norovirus going around, I wonder if you can really sanitize everything they came into contact with the room. I always make sure our whole family washes our hands before we eat a meal (probably the most important thing to do on the whole trip) AND remind children not to put their hands on their faces (mouth, nose eyes). Yeah, I'm a borderline Germaphobe.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #26
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire
 
Shelly F - Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lake Erie Shore Line in Ohio
Posts: 7,087

I always santize a hotel room. If you have done this to a room and saw how dirty the wipes are that you are using you would have an understanding just how gross a hotel room is even at Disney.

After seeing the youtube video of the kid with the remote in his bare butt checks trying to change the tv channel you would think twice about where that remote you are holding has been. I always put my remote in a ziplock bag.

We never use a bar of soap to wash our hands I always bring a pump bottle of soap.
__________________
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas-Please stand clear of the doors.


CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014

Last edited by Shelly F - Ohio; 03-26-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #27
Claudia Kellenberger
DIS Veteran
 
Claudia Kellenberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY USA
Posts: 2,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
Why not just enjoy your vacation and not worry about it.
For me - a WDW vacation usually meant that I would be terribly, terribly sick as soon as I got home. Two Decembers ago, I had to stay in my room for two days because of the vomiting and diarhea. As a solo vacationer, I also felt pretty lonely that long in my room.

For the past 2 vacations, I worried about this a lot - and washed my hands A LOT ! I also carried an anti-bacterial gel. I didn't get sick at all ! Not even a sniffle !

It is REALLY terribly important to worry about it!
__________________
<BR>Claudia K
Claudia Kellenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #28
Ofinn
DIS Veteran
 
Ofinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I hear ya!! I'm one of those that had the tip of her nose go numb at pools when dd was in swim classes!!! It was the chlorine in the water, being heated a bit.

But, while most people do practice good hygiene, just watch little kids. Oh dear God...the stuff I see them do and then put their hands on railings. Just imagine what would happen if 20/20 ever took a black light to one of the attractions at WDW and scanned the handrails in the lines, or the grab bars on the actual ride!!! Horrifying.
So, we try to wash our hands more often than usual and then keep them away from our faces when traveling. We've yet to get sick and I have never 'sanitized' a room before. Yes, I've walked on the carpet in bare feet, I touched, and used, the remote without cleaning it first. I have actually used the wrapped glasses to drink from and I leave my toothbrush out, but the brush end of it in a travel cover thing. No germs yet.
I'm kind of weird, but I think people should worry more about improving their immune systems then the germs out there. Viruses and germs are everywhere. Eating right, exercise, a little sunshine without sunscreen(vit D) and by all means sleep sleep sleep. I'm 40 and we never worried about that stuff when I was a kid. It seems like in the last 10 years people have become germaphobes,yet most people don't take care of their own bodies. I also walk barefoot on carpet and don't sanitize anything in a hotel room so far my family and I have remained healthy on vacation.
Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #29
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,491
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
I'm kind of weird, but I think people should worry more about improving their immune systems then the germs out there. Viruses and germs are everywhere. Eating right, exercise, a little sunshine without sunscreen(vit D) and by all means sleep sleep sleep. I'm 40 and we never worried about that stuff when I was a kid. It seems like in the last 10 years people have become germaphobes,yet most people don't take care of their own bodies. I also walk barefoot on carpet and don't sanitize anything in a hotel room so far my family and I have remained healthy on vacation.
Yep, agree 100%. Quick story. My dd, a college freshman, has had every thing that has come down the collegiate pike this year. Started with a nasty strep throat in mid-Sept. Then, in November, it was hand/foot/mouth disease!! That was particularly awful! Then, last month?? Mono!! Now, she has a boyfriend, and I assume they are engaging in boyfriend/girlfriend activities. BUT...that young man has yet to get anything she has had. And? He has a compromised immune system! But, he eats really well. And probably gets more sleep than my idiot dd!!!
So yeah....boost that system. Eat good food, get plenty of rest. And if need be, take some multivitamins. That will go a lot further than sanitizing the world.
In 30+ stays in WDW, I have never come home sick, or been sick while at WDW. My dd did one year...but my mother had died about 2.5 months prior to our trip, it was a very last minute trip to bond a bit after Meme's death, and dd was just 10 then...she got sick the day after we arrived, so I'm assuming she picked it up at home and brought it with her. Stayed in our room for 2 days until she was fever free. I did actually try to clean off the surfaces before we left!!

And remote in his butt??? Seriously?? Ok, now I'll be bringing a plastic baggie to put that thing in...thanks for the mental picture...
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #30
justthe6ofus
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
I always santize a hotel room. If you have done this to a room and saw how dirty the wipes are that you are using you would have an understanding just how gross a hotel room is even at Disney.

After seeing the youtube video of the kid with the remote in his bare butt checks trying to change the tv channel you would think twice about where that remote you are holding has been. I always put my remote in a ziplock bag.

We never use a bar of soap to wash our hands I always bring a pump bottle of soap.
I have never thought about putting the remote in a ziplock, but thanks to this horrible image, I will do so for the rest of my life.

Bringing the pump soap is a good idea as well. I understand there is only so much you can do...but I'm more than willing to take some easy steps like these, as well as a quick room wipe-down and regular hand-washing, if it can even slightly reduce the chances of picking something up.
__________________
After several trips as a kid, I'm going with my kids for the first time in 2013!!
justthe6ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: