Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
Saratoga Goofy
Mouseketeer

Animal Kingdom Lodge

Anyone else have issues with the walk at AKL? What's the best request for room type?
Saratoga Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Sue M
DIS Veteran

No, sorry. Haven't had issues with walk at AKL. We've had rooms in 2nd, & 3rd pods, and one almost at the end. It's all air conditioned halls, so wasn't a problem.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

My sweet DH has horrible rheumatoid arthritis and when we stayed at the AKL with a Savannah view we asked for a first floor room near the elevator.

It was great because we'd cross the lobby, turn to the right and go down the hall and we had a great savannah view room with bunk beds and it was so easy to pop down the elevator to Mara or to the hot tub. We were there for Christmas and I loved sitting in the lobby too looking at the Christmas Tree or relaxing by the big open fireplace. It was a beautiful resort. I just wish we'd had less park time and more resort time to really enjoy it.
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I've never minded the hallways at AKL -- especially since they all have those lovely overlooks onto the savannas. If you are worried about the hallways, ask for a room close to the lobby. The views may not be as spectacular there but you'll have a shorter walk.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

One stay I had a pool view room and it was super convenient.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Saratoga Goofy
Mouseketeer

Thanks

Thanks for the advice AuroraMeansDawn. I don't mind the walk as much either, but we are going with my elderly parents and a 2 and 5 year old. I think the walk to the bus will wear them down before we even get to parks.
Saratoga Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake View Post
One stay I had a pool view room and it was super convenient.
Same here. We loved our pool view room as it was very convenient to the lobby, gift shop, and elevator to go down to Mara and the pool .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
nhfd155
Mouseketeer

We were there in October with my in laws. The kids liked to stop and look at the animals. None of us minded the walk. My parents stopped by for a day to visit and my dad is in his 70's with a bad back. He sometimes walks with a cane. The walk was too far for him. He had to stop wherever there was a bench to sit and rest. It took 25 minutes for him to walk from our room to the lobby plus the pain. Be careful if your parents have difficulties getting around. The resort and rooms are beautiful. Our favorite on Disney property.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
DisneyBliss7
''Wish upon a star''

I was worried about this but had all these same answers you are getting We booked at AKV the other day and we are so sxcited

DD-13 DD-10 DS-7 DS-7 DS-3 DH- ME-
DisneyBliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga Goofy View Post
Thanks for the advice AuroraMeansDawn. I don't mind the walk as much either, but we are going with my elderly parents and a 2 and 5 year old. I think the walk to the bus will wear them down before we even get to parks.
No problem and when every step counts, remember you can cut through the gift shop to get to the bus stop going in our out. (There is an exterior and interior entrance from the lobby) It shaves a bit off the walk but be warned, you shop more because you see more adorable merchandise!

And our room was very similar to having a pool view as the first floor off the lobby is one floor up from Mara, the pool, Simba Club etc so the pool view rooms would be on that right hand side of the circle around the Savannah. I would guess ours was on one side of the hall and the pool views were on the other side of the hall. Make sure you book an early breakfast at Boma! The press pot of coffee is delicious and the variety at Boma really is fantastic! Have fun!
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Are they planning on renting scooters? If you're worried about a long hall, what will they do about getting around a park? There are off site companies who will deliver to the resort. And cheaper then wdw prices.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Request a room close to the main elevators. Then when you check in let them know it's because of your elderly parents (everyone has little kids). We brought my DM on many of our trips and the extra hallway walking was a bit much for her -- when I explained why we were asking for a room close to the elevator we usually got one.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Anyone else have issues with the walk at AKL? What's the best request for room type?
Never felt the walk was a problem there. If you're concerned, just ask to be near the lobby or elevator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraMeansDawn View Post
My sweet DH has horrible rheumatoid arthritis and when we stayed at the AKL with a Savannah view we asked for a first floor room near the elevator.
AKL's lobby is on the 3rd floor. I don't believe there are any rooms on the 1st floor.

Perhaps this map will help the OP.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: