Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #91
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I'm sure you're right - I must have seen those Goofy hands and the hat in the past but for some reason didn't really pay attention. I probably looked right past them. Maybe I was too eager to get to the eggs and bacon and just completely bypassed those little details!

Okay, let me just say that I loved, loved, loved your last installments and all of the photos you shared.

I am being redundant, but I just loved your Hollywood photos and especially your Santa Monica Pier/beach photos! Even though it's only about 20 or 25 minutes away from where I live, I haven't been to the Pier in years. I haven't been to Santa Monica Beach in years, either, even though I used to go there a lot as a teenager. Just last year I was thinking that I need to get back to the Pier one of these days to take some photos and check out what's new, but I never got around to it. So if I end up there this year, finally, I will have you to thank because your pictures inspired me to go!

When I was looking at your Hollywood/Santa Monica photos I almost felt as though I was looking at cool new places I had never been - and then I realized that it had just been so long since I had been to those places that they seemed new to me! Plus, you got a photo of the Chateau Marmont - something that I do not have one single photo of, despite its legendary status!

These are my absolute favorites of this last series of pictures, especially the first photo. That is just awesome. Are you on Facebook? That would make an excellent Facebook Timeline cover photo, I think.
I understand. There's so many places in New Orleans, that I've either never been to, or haven't been to in years, or have never taken my kids to see. Need to get out in our own towns more! Glad you liked the pics. That beach one is great. I'm still so annoyed with that camera though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
That is interesting that you can get off and on different buses, I didn't realize you could do that. The Pier has been on my list for my two trips, but it keeps getting pushed aside for other places.

I also really loved the daughter and grandpa nap time in the car.
We've done the on and off tour in New York too and really enjoyed it. We had multiple days though. I think with the LA one, you'd need multiple days to make multiple stops b/c there's just so much travel time involved. We didn't even do the third line, and we passed the Farmer's Market and Tar Pits after dark. Wouldn't hurt to start earlier either. We didn't board the first bus till noon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
Also loved the photos Sherry reposted. The one of the three heading into the waves is precious.

I agree that the novelty of the bus probably kept your kids happier than the minivan. Kids don't look at "sights" the way we do.

PHXscuba
It was pricey, but the grown-ups got to see the sights, and the kids still talk about riding the bus, so I think we made the right decision.

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #92
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Now, it's Monday morning and we're up excited to head to California Adventure. I walk over to my parents' room, and a smell hits me. When we arrived back at the hotel the night before, the suitcase was no longer outside of our door. I assumed that housekeeping had taken it away. No. My mom, who hates to throw anything away, had brought it into their room! She saw it when she went up to use the bathroom and was "afraid it would get wet in the rain" so she brought it into their room. She claims that it aired out and doesn't smell anymore, but my nose begs to differ. I tell her that it was a very inexpensive bag and was over 10 years old, and we were just going to go to Target to buy another one. She refuses to put it out, b/c she's not just going to throw away a "perfectly good suitcase." So, she agrees to keep it in her room for the week!

My parents aren't quite ready yet, so they say they'll meet us there. On the way out, we stop by the breakfast at the hotel. Apples, oranges, bananas, toast, pastries, cereal, oatmeal, juices, milk, coffee. Not too much, but enough to hold us over for a while.

We walk across the street and get in line at DCA about twenty-five minutes before 9 (opening time) DCA did have EE that day. Our line is moving much slower that others and DH notes that almost everyone in our line is having their picture taken. We get to the front and the worker scans our tickets and says "Oh, this is your first day in the parks! Welcome! You're going to need your picture taken." We explain to her that we had already entered and had our picture taken, but she poo poo's us like we have absolutely no idea what we're talking about and says we need pictures. The photo taker next to her takes our pics, and then the entry CM scans our tickets and lets us in without checking our IDs and without realizing that we've used the tickets before. So, that caused me to have some doubts about their new system. My parents told me that when they went through, my mom needed a picture, but my dad didn't (he'd had the issues with his ticket the first night and had to be reissued his). Before that I thought maybe the whole system is down, but apparently that was not the case.

We walk up Buena Vista Street and get to the area in front of Carthay Circle. We can see the crowds suddenly start to move and realize the rope dropped. DH takes all of our tickets to get in line for RSR fastpasses, and I take the kids and head back towards Toy Story Midway Mania.

We get to TSMM and I try to take pics of the kids in line, but the line is moving quickly and the kids are too excited to stand still. The lady behind us in line kindly offers to take our picture for us.

We wait for about 15 minutes and right before we're going to load we see DH walking up to the area. We all wave and then load our vehicle. I get on one side with DS2, and DS7 and DD6 sit on the other side. The CM comes to tell me that DD6 cannot ride with DS7 and she needs to ride on my side. So, she moves over and I can see a man loading into the seat with DS. I thought this was odd and then realized that it's DH! The CM saw us waving and let him in to ride with us.

I can't remember what our scores were, mine wasn't very high, but was the highest in the group, so I'm quite pleased with myself.

While we were waiting my parents had called to say they were in the park. When we exit the ride, they're there waiting for us. California Screamin' only has a 5 minute wait, so MiMi and PePaw take the younger ones on the carousel while we go with DS7 to ride his first ever upside-down coaster. (DD6 was SO upset that she wasn't tall enough to ride!)

Before going on an upside-down coaster:

And after:

Looks older and much cooler, right?

So, how did you like that?

Our ride photo:

When we exit the ride, we see that Donald is meeting in the gazebo across the lagoon, so we find my parents and kiddos and head over. There's only one or two people in line ahead of us.

Meeting Donald video

We see Duffy across the way with no one around and DS2 takes us running. He immediately goes in for a bear hug even though he has no idea who Duffy is! So glad the PP photographer got a pic, b/c I wasn't ready! He now asks about Mickey's bear all the time!

Leaving Duffy, we see a photopass photographer. Dh suggests that we do pics, but then keeps walking as I stop and talk to the photog. So, dd has a photo shoot!

This border was available for these shots, maybe Sofia will be meeting soon?

And, a magic shot:

The rest of the crew is standing in front of The Little Mermaid when we finish. It's a walk-on, so we hop aboard.

It keeps pausing a bit, so I'm able to get a few OK shots without flash.

This ride wasn't open for our last WDW trip, so this was our first time experiencing it. Very meh to me. Didn't hate it. But, it didn't really do anything for me either. The kids didn't seem too impressed after and this is one of the few rides that was never asked for or mentioned again.

Once off the ride, we head over to the Lunar New Year celebration

We see that Minnie is meeting and get in the short line

It's now time for our RSR fastpass return time, which I believe was 10:45, so we head over to CarsLand. We're all so excited to see it for the first time!

Continued Here

Last edited by lsulindy; 03-28-2013 at 11:56 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #93
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

We walk over to CarsLand and WOW! I don't hate Cars, but it's not my favorite. But, we all loved Cars Land. It really is like you've walked into the movie. Such a surreal experience. Many people on the WDW boards talk about a Pixar land at DHS, and I think some amazing attractions could be made from Pixar films. But, the overall affect just wouldn't be the same as walking INTO the movie. It really changed how I felt about lands designed around a single movie.

We turn in our fastpasses and have about a 20 minute wait.

And, we're off!

Our ride photo, my hair had a blast!

I tried to video the ride, but didn't so such a great job. I couldn't hold the camera steady, I was in the middle and it was hard to tape around the windshield, my camera didn't focus well in the dark, my hair was blowing everywhere, and it accidentally cuts off for part of the race. But, after that ringing endorsement, if you still want to check it out....
Radiator Springs Racers video

Radiator Springs Racers did not disappoint. We all loved the ride. I'd seen pics, but I didn't realize how expansive the rock work was. And, the dark ride portion was so well done. Those animatronics were amazing. We got the new tire option at Luigi's, the only down part was that we didn't have a car to race. I didn't mind, but the kids were disappointed. My plan had been to get 6 fastpasses, then get a baby swap pass so the kids could ride once with DH and I and once with my parents, but since my parents met us late we didn't have the 2 fastpasses for them. So, we only had one ride for the day. The kids kept asking to ride again so they could race, but we told them we'd have to do it another day.

While we were on RSR, my parents took the baby to meet Mater and then got ice cream while they sat and watched the Mater and Lightning McQueen meet. DS2 could not get enough of that. He loved just sitting and watching them.

When we caught up to them, he'd crashed.

Luigi's is currently down and due to that the line at Mater's is building. We want to do those 2 with DS2 anyway, so since he's sleeping, we decide to head over to Tower of Terror cutting through Bug's Land.

The wait at Tower of Terror is posted at 35 minutes, and the FastPass return time is 40 minutes out, so we pull a FastPass and decide to kill some time in Bug's Land.

Continued Here

Last edited by lsulindy; 04-01-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #94
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Bug's Land and Tower of Terror

The wait for Flik's Flyers is posted at 15 minutes, so my parents, the two older kids and I get in line. We wind up waiting 30 and DS wakes up in the meantime so DH passes him to me and we ride.

Once the ride is over, we head over to use our ToT FPs. DD chickens out even though she rode 2 years ago in WDW, so it's just DH, DS7 and me. We get in the fastpass line and soon realize that something is not right. Once we get in the boiler room, we see that only one elevator of 3 is operational. We waited 55 minutes before our ride.

I enjoyed the DL version just as much as the WDW one. We only rode once though, so I didn't have a chance to learn the drop sequence. I'd guess that would make a difference if doing multiple rides. DH didn't know that the DL version didn't move forward along a track, so he was shocked when we dropped. He thought there was more ride before that happened. I rather enjoyed watching that! haha

While we were riding, my parents met Flik and rode Heimlich's Chew Chew train and Francis' Ladybug Boogie. I'd really wanted to ride the Chew Chew train and sadly never made it back on it.

Once we met back up with them, it's 1:30 and we're all hungry. After a short discussion, we decide to head back to Cars Land and have lunch at Flo's V-8 cafe.

Heading out of A Bug's Land

Continued here

Last edited by lsulindy; 04-01-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #95
Caboosey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post

He also loves to joke about everything. His new hilarious joke is "I not go Dennylan." Then I dramatically reply "Oh no! That's terrible!! If you don't go to Disneyland, who's going to hi-5 Mickey Mouse?" Then he laughs "ME!! I go Dennylan! I hi-fi Me Mows!" And, he cracks up!
Ha ha, I am cracking up at everything this kid says!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #96
Disney owl
DIS Veteran

great reports can't wait to read more, thanks

JUNE 1996 & JUNE 1998 JUNE 2005 DLP - Camp Davy Crockett
AUGUST 2000 & OCT 2002 SEPT 2008 DLP - Offsite
JUNE 2001 AUGUST 2003 & 2007, SEPT2010 WDW - Offsite
Disney owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #97
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboosey View Post
Ha ha, I am cracking up at everything this kid says!
He's quite a character! Been joking since he can talk, and gets and can attempt sarcasm. Yesterday at church, he kept putting my necklace in his mouth. I asked him to not eat Mommy's necklace. He made a big slurping sound and then said "Mommy, I not eat your neck-a-lace, SLURP, I drink your neck-a-lace! SLURP!" He's hilarious and absolutely precious, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous about the school and teenage years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney owl View Post
great reports can't wait to read more, thanks
Thanks! Welcome! It's nice to know I'm not talking to myself!

Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #98
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

When I left off, we were headed back to Cars Land to eat lunch at Flo's.

DH and my dad get in line to order food, and the rest of us head around back to find a table. I mentioned it before, but the rock work for Radiator Springs Racers is so expansive. Sitting behind Flo's, you are in a canyon. It's incredible. There were only 2 other families back there. It was a very peaceful meal.

Even though lunch is on its way, DS was in need of animal crackers immediately!

DS7 got the mac n cheese kids meal, DS2 got the turkey sandwich, DD was getting tired and insisted upon a hot dog. DH normally would never entertain special requests, but in the name of melt-down free family vacation, he drops off everyone's food and then sets of in search of a hot dog while his food gets cold.

I got the turkey meal with mashed potatoes and beans. It was very good. The beans weren't my favorite, the potatoes were good and the turkey and gravy were great. This was probably my favorite meal of the trip.
DH got the New York Strip Loin and my parents both got the Pork Loin. Everyone enjoyed their food. It was a little pricey for a quick service, but the atmosphere was great, the food was very good, and there was a lot of it. It was satisfying, and we all left very full. We thought it was a great value for the price.

Lightning McQueen and Mater drive on the pathway behind the restaurant to and from their meeting spots at the Cozy Cone Motel. We got to see them trade out while we were eating.

DS2 picks up his McQueen food carrier, holds it up and yells "Hey Lightin uh-Keen! I got your toy right here!"

A few minutes later, they've swapped and Mater is heading back.

DH goes to the bathroom and comes back with milkshakes for the kids. I'd wanted to get them Red's Apple Freezes, but he didn't know that and I didn't say anything. The kids are thrilled with a special treat and enjoy their milkshakes. DH also got a collection of the Cars buttons from Flo's, and we each get a different color to wear.

We head across the street to the Cozy Cone to meet Lightning McQueen.

DD was wearing her birthday button, so he sang her Happy Birthday!

I'd read before on the DIS in comparisons of WDW vs DLR that the CMs aren't as friendly at DLR. I saw more than one comparison that used birthday buttons as an example. DLR CMs just don't acknowledge them as much. Well, we've never had a WDW birthday, but I have to say it would be impossible to shower a child with more birthday attention. It became a running joke how often DD was wished happy birthday. She'd get wished Happy Birthday by the fastpass checker, the fastpass collector, the ride loader, the seatbelt checker, then she'd get wished happy birthday by the unloading CM. CMs just walking in and out the park off-duty would wish her happy birthday. The dancers in the parade would stop and wish her happy birthday. Sometimes, she'd ask if she could take the button off, and then a few hours later she'd ask to put it back on. Towards the end of the week, she wouldn't wear it much, but would ask for it every now and then.

Continued here

Last edited by lsulindy; 04-01-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #99
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Right after we exit the McQueen meet, we see Mater coming to swap out with him.

The older kids want to meet Mater, but DH has only ridden 3 rides so far today and he's itching to put some more notches in his belt. So, he convinces the kids to go ride Mater's ride instead.

DS7 was a little too hyper to stand still for a pic.

The wait was posted 15 minutes, but once we got in line one side of the ride went down. So, we waited about 30. I loved the references to all of Mater's shorts in line, and it gave the kids time to finish off the milkshakes.

I don't think DS has ever seen anyone square dance, but when the music came on in Mater's line. He quickly put his foot up and started bouncing. I don't know where he got that from!
Twistin' Twirlin' Whippin' Whirlin'

DS2 kept pulling on DH's button and didn't know why. He asked DS to stop and DS told him the cars were giving high fives!

High Five video

There was a photopass photographer at the exit to the ride who had taken this pic and handed me a regular PP card with it. I had read that they may sometimes do this if they saw you with a PP+ lanyard, but she seemed to be doing it for everyone.

We enjoyed Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. It's a simple ride, but well themed and fun. DS2 has a Cars puzzle filled with all the characters. The other day he was making the puzzle and saw a picture of the tractor. He said "that Mater's tractor! I ride that! I ride with MiMi PePaw. Bubba ride with Sissy. You ride with Daddy." I was shocked that not only did he remember the ride, but he accurately remembered who rode with who!

Continued here

Last edited by lsulindy; 04-01-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #100
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

The group was all together, so we took some PP pics on Route 66.

My parents decide to sit and rest while we head to Luigi's.

The line was moving quick (no real line until the outside in the back) through the office section, so I didn't get to look as much as I wanted. I did quickly point out the files he had for the other cars to the kids.

We got the hang of it pretty quickly and picked up a lot of speed. There were many giggles all around!

Continued here

Last edited by lsulindy; 04-01-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #101
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

just catching up with your TR. That crawfish stench was a horrible way to start the trip. And I LOVE the activity books! Did you make them yourself or was their a website to download? I'd love to do a couple for our two when they have their surprise in December!

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #102
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
just catching up with your TR. That crawfish stench was a horrible way to start the trip. And I LOVE the activity books! Did you make them yourself or was their a website to download? I'd love to do a couple for our two when they have their surprise in December!
I found a lot of the pages on the DISigns board. There's an activity book thread there. I made some of the other pages myself. Message me with your email address and I can send you the PDFs. I wanted to find a place to host them, but I haven't done that yet.

The crawfish stench was horrid!

Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #103
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Lunar New Year celebration

We decide to head to the Monsters Inc ride next, but DS7 needs to use the restroom. DH takes him to the restroom near Flo's, we head to Hollywood Blvd and Buena Vista Street to look for characters with the plan to meet up at Mike and Sully to the Rescue. I'm really hoping to see Jake, Mr. Incredible, or Mickey in his BVS outfit. But, we don't see anyone along Hollywood Blvd. The kids take a pic with the statue. I ask the photog if he has any magic shots, and he says no. He says they do magic shots by the waterfall, but there are no photographers over there.

I leave the kids there with my parents and walk up and down BVS, but don't see anyone out. When I come back, Pluto is coming out and sets up in the circle behind the statue near where my parents are waiting with the kids.

Pluto video

DH calls to see where we are, and we meet him over by Monsters Inc. In line we discover something that we already know. DS2 is not a crier, but he is a runner. At one point he goes under the railing into the narrow space between the rail and the building and takes off. It's clear sailing for him, but I have a solid line of people ahead of me. I'm pushing through "Excuse me! Excuse me!" while he books it and the whole crowd cracks up. He makes it to the long unused queue off to the side and I stand there for a while and let him run it off a bit. He's having a blast going round and round the empty queue. When the rest of the family make it up to us in the line, DH puts DS2 on his shoulders for the rest of the line!

DS2 loves Mike Wazowski, and I love hearing him say Mike Wazowski, so this is one of my favorite videos!

Mike Wazowski!!

The kids got a kick out of the items in the vending machine.

We all loved the Monsters Inc ride. Unlike Little Mermaid, we were all super impressed and thought the ride was very well done. Loved the doors flying overhead. Everyone was wowed by those.

When we met Lunar New Year Minnie, I had asked about Mulan and Mushu's schedule. Their last meet of the day began at 4:30, and it's 4:30 now! I'm so annoyed with myself and tell the group that we need to book it over there!

We get to the end of Hollywood Blvd and it's the end of the Red Car News Boys show. Mickey is out singing Seize the Day and the kids want to see. Even DD, who has been begging all day to see Mulan and Mushu. I attempt to get them to keep walking, but DH tells me to chill and they head over to watch the show. I stay on the opposite side of the street car because I know I'll get a good video of Mickey riding away from my spot. After the show, DH heads my way and I wind up with a good shot of them waving to Mickey.

Red Car News Boys: Mickey on Street Car video

It's now 4:40, and I know there's no way we'll make it to Mulan in time. We make it over there in time to see Mulan and Mushu leaving the meet area.

Mickey is also leaving

While I'm taking these pics, DH has run through the crowd in the direction Mulan and Mushu are walking. DD gets a quick hug from both of them, but I barely get over there in time and this is the only pic I get.

They posed for a few pics and then began their recessional.

Mulan and Mushu recessional video

Continued here

Last edited by lsulindy; 04-16-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #104
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I randomly stumbled on your TR. Great pics! And your parents and your kids together are really cute.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #105
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I love seeing all of the pictures from inside the queues for the Cars Land rides! Believe it or not I have not been on any of the Cars Land rides yet! So I've seen every other part of Cars Land and every other detail there is to see - right down to the cracks in the pavement and the oil stains on the ground by Flo's - except for anything that is directly along/inside a queue for a ride!

Although I haven't been on the Cars Land rides yet, I know what you mean about not really being able to look at details more closely because the line was moving. That happens to me in other lines. Disney is so great about adding in these fantastic details that I want to be able to soak them in and really pay attention. But at the same time, the Cast Members are trying to move the lines along so I often have to zip right past everything that is interesting about a line in the first place (this happens to me all the time while waiting for Haunted Mansion Holiday, for example).

Also, I think it's a great idea to put the "Continued here" links at the bottom of each post, directing readers to the next installment! While there are a lot of people who read every page - including all of the comments by other DIS'ers - there are some folks who want to just skip to the next installment and read only the TR itself. By doing what you're doing, the people can choose to skip right ahead to the next installment, and they don't have to sift through pages to find it or go back to page 1 to find an index or Table of Contents link for the next installment. This way, the link is right at the bottom of the post and they can go straight to it! Fantastic idea!

I think that if I do another TR, I am going to steal that "continued here" idea and start adding the links at the bottom of the posts. Of course, I will be sure to credit you with the idea - I am very good about giving credit where credit is due if someone has a good idea for something, especially if it inspires me in some way!

This "continued here" idea would even work if I do another multi-TR thread (like my existing thread). In the very last post of one TR, I can include the link to the first post of the next TR...and just keep it going that way. It can save people a lot of time in wading through lots of pages (if they don't want to read comments) or going back to my first post to get a link to the next TR!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: