Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #31
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
I am 100% in agreement with this. If 11-13 cannot be allowed in as adults, then they shouldn't be charged like adults. Bring back the Junior ticket. Any behavioral/safety issues out there are not addressed by a policy that simply requires an adult to enter the gate (who then could leave and never return). The only thing this policy can realistically accomplish is padding revenues by making it twice as expensive for someone that age to enter the park.
It is not an "adult" ticket. It is a "guest ages 10+" ticket. It is based on the average age at which most people reach all ride height requirements, thus giving them full access to all rides within the parks. The "adult" reference is for the dining plan, which again is the average age that most children stop eating kid's meals.

There is no need to create a ticket for juniors. Last year we aged up our daughter so she could have mor options on the dining plan. It costs a whopping $19.17 between her guest 3-9 ticket and her guest 10+ ticket for a 9 day hopper. The current tickets are fine, IMHO. The only thing a 10-13 year old can't do is enter the park alone, but once they are in, they have full access to everything. Creating a ticket for the very few kids this new rule could affect is a bit over the top.

Personally, I think 7 is way too young to be riding alone. With ride break downs and evacuations, a 7 year old could be afraid or not understand instructions well, but since it is Disney's rule, there is nothing any of us can do to change it. You either accept their rules or you spend your money elsewhere.

Last edited by smitch425; 03-22-2013 at 02:02 PM.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #32
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Would it make people happier if Disney didn't call it adult admission? The admission price is XXX. We are pleased to offer a discount to guests age 3-9.

Full price is charged to guests able to enjoy most attractions. Nothing to do with the age you're an adult or allowed to enter the park without a parent.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #33
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
Would it make people happier if Disney didn't call it adult admission?
It isn't an "adult" ticket. See my post above.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #34
Tekneek
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
It is not an "adult" ticket. It is a "guest ages 10+" ticket. It is based on the average age at which most people reach all ride height requirements, thus giving them full access to all rides within the parks. The "adult" reference is for the dining plan, which again is the average age that most children stop eating kid's meals.
For people who are late to the party, that is what they would think. People who remember the Junior ticket range see it differently.

Quote:
There is no need to create a ticket for juniors.
I wasn't talking about them creating a junior ticket. I was talking about them bringing it back. You do know they used to have that, right?

Quote:
With ride break downs and evacuations, a 7 year old could be afraid or not understand instructions well, but since it is Disney's rule, there is nothing any of us can do to change it. You either accept their rules or you spend your money elsewhere.
Perhaps. We might be able to get Disney to honestly explain their reasons for it, regardless of whether that changes anything or not. The idea that this has to do with unruly children roaming parent-less throughout the parks doesn't work, since the requirement is only for entry. If they wanted to solve that problem, they would require the adult stay.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #35
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For people who are late to the party, that is what they would think. People who remember the Junior ticket range see it differently.

I wasn't talking about them creating a junior ticket. I was talking about them bringing it back. You do know they used to have that, right?
Sorry...I was not aware of the "junior ticket" history. In my defense, I was only 7 when they got rid of them.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #36
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:

Perhaps. We might be able to get Disney to honestly explain their reasons for it, regardless of whether that changes anything or not. The idea that this has to do with unruly children roaming parent-less throughout the parks doesn't work, since the requirement is only for entry. If they wanted to solve that problem, they would require the adult stay.
MYW tickets never included junior tickets. Junior MYW tickets would be brand new. Didn't Disney discontinue junior tickets almost 30 years ago? JMO but that's long enough to justify calling junior tickets brand new, in the very unlikely event Disney decided to offer them.

It's not clear if the new policy is in response to real problems or just a way to have a definite rule instead of leaving it to CMs at the gate to decide if a child appeared way too young to enter on his own.

I agree if the problem was unruly kids running wild the new policy might not be sufficient.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #37
Tekneek
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
MYW tickets never included junior tickets. Junior MYW tickets would be brand new. Didn't Disney discontinue junior tickets almost 30 years ago? JMO but that's long enough to justify calling junior tickets brand new, in the very unlikely event Disney decided to offer them.
I'll grant that, to a degree. Just because it has been a long time doesn't make it a brand new invention, though.

Quote:
It's not clear if the new policy is in response to real problems or just a way to have a definite rule instead of leaving it to CMs at the gate to decide if a child appeared way too young to enter on his own.

I agree if the problem was unruly kids running wild the new policy might not be sufficient.
That's the problem I have. It is unclear to me what the purpose of this is. It can't be to handle other problems with kids throughout the park, because nothing about this entrance policy addresses that.

Whether or not any of us would have ever sent an 11 year old in by themselves, the fact remains that, during the previous decades where an 11 year old was paying the same price as a 25 year old, they were allowed to enter the park equally. Now, for reasons unclear to anyone but Disney, they suddenly cannot. That constitutes a significant change. For at least 35 years, it appears that those buying the 10+ tickets have been able to enter the park just the same way. Now, a portion of those ticket holders have to bring another fare with them.

I'm left wondering what this "good reason" was that took them decades to arrive at...
Old 03-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #38
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Just a guess but could it be related to the tour groups? I wonder if this will expand to be only x number of under 14s per adult.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #39
Tekneek
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Just a guess but could it be related to the tour groups? I wonder if this will expand to be only x number of under 14s per adult.
Doesn't appear to be part of the policy. I don't think there is a cap on that. Besides, regardless of what some guests and front line CMs might think, I don't believe Disney has a problem with tour groups. They usually stay on property and Disney likes their money as much as mine and yours.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #40
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek

Doesn't appear to be part of the policy. I don't think there is a cap on that. Besides, regardless of what some guests and front line CMs might think, I don't believe Disney has a problem with tour groups. They usually stay on property and Disney likes their money as much as mine and yours.
My guess (and clearly just a guess) is that the recent drowning of the pre-teen at pop century - and the related negative publicity (it made lead story on cnn.com at one point) - may have prompted an overall review of safety/adult supervision policies.
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #41
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleScout View Post
My guess (and clearly just a guess) is that the recent drowning of the pre-teen at pop century - and the related negative publicity (it made lead story on cnn.com at one point) - may have prompted an overall review of safety/adult supervision policies.
Maybe a good guess. From the article linked by the OP:

Quote:
The new policy will take effect March 23 at all U.S. Walt Disney World and Disneyland resorts and parks.
Sounds like the policy might be applicable at the resort pools.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #42
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Jim Hill Media posits one reason:

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_ch...structive.aspx
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #43
Tekneek
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
What Jim fails to address is how not requiring an adult to ride with the pre-teen will prevent these incidents. Given that they can still ride whatever they want, and the companion that is 14+ only has to be with them at the entrance, how would it even begin to accomplish anything meaningful elsewhere in the park?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #44
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
What Jim fails to address is how not requiring an adult to ride with the pre-teen will prevent these incidents. Given that they can still ride whatever they want, and the companion that is 14+ only has to be with them at the entrance, how would it even begin to accomplish anything meaningful elsewhere in the park?
I don't know whether Hill is right or not but the policy change certainly couldn't hurt. I suspect there is a different mindset when touring the park, knowing a parent could be lurking around any corner, than there is when you know mom or dad dropped you at the gate and is now long gone.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #45
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If someone under 14 is accompanied through the gate, it raises the probability that they be accompanied throughout the park.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: