Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2013, 02:25 AM   #13
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara61 View Post
I'm voting for AKL. I am biased towards AKL, but have stayed at WL (we didn't have the best room and I think that jaded my husbands experience). My reasons for AKL, yes it is a tad further from the Magic Kingdom than Wilderness lodge but not by that much. We've timed it in the evening (bit of a geek, lol) and in the evening it's 20 minutes to AKL and 15 to WL via the boat. 5 minutes is not bad, some people make it sound like it's a huge time difference. So please don't let the time to park/hotel be the only deciding factor. So many people have made the assumption either because they went on a crowded day or they got a late start that both resorts have a vast difference in time frames to each park that it's not true. Check into averages on travel times on line for yourself before you go off of what someone from a board online tells you (even me ). They might have no idea what they are talking about but just repeating rumors...

There are awesome things about both hotels, if you enjoy the up north woods feeling go with WL, if you enjoy a more earthy with views of animals, go with AKL. It is darker, but not that darlk like some will say. My husband and I love it for the fact that it's NOT Disneyfied. We LOVE Disney but after a day of overstimulation, we want to just chill. Our sons have been going to the AKL since they were 18 months old and hands down it is my oldest's favorite resort. He likes POFQ, as do my husband and I, but home is AKL. My youngest alas, seems to forget everything.

Both have fun things for kids and adults to do. This year we are FINALLY going to do the kitchen tour and cookie decorating at the AKL.

I am not sure if WL has a zero entry pool but AKL does which when our children were younger (they are now 10 and 8) it was really nice to have.

All in all don't base your decision on the travel times, it's really not that much further from the MK to AKL vs WL.

Enjoy your stay where ever you should end up! You will have an awesome time
Wow! Thanks for the run down

I think its great you timed it, and because you did, it helps others like me

I am really leaning towards AKL, and for the whole 10 days. Makes things so much easier, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the 2 pools and kids play area.
I also love that AKL has the zero entry pool which WL does not. My 4 yr old would be able to enjoy himself more at the AKL pool. AKL also has 2 waterslides, one being 128ft long, so my 6 yr old will have a blast, and they have a smaller one for my 4 yr old.
The animals and African look/feel make it that much more exciting!!!
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: