Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 03:12 AM   #16
battymum
DIS Veteran

My 15 year old son just started working in retail - his wage is $8.41 per hour, and that is 45% of the award as he is under 16. On top of that he is paid 20% casual loading and 50% for working on Sunday.

While that seems a pretty poor wage to most, i am sure it compares to the minimum adult wage in the US. The retailers have to mark their prices up to cover our relatively high wages.
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #17
battymum
DIS Veteran

Oh and the SDA is campaigning to abolish junior rates, after all, they do the same work - so wage costs for retailers are going to be even higher.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 04:27 AM   #18
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

It's going to be impossible to get your first job if they do that. Why hire untrained teenagers if you can get mature adults for the same cost?

I just bought an Roomba 780 for less then half the price harvey norman has them for. I looked into it a fair bit before purchasing, and 2 months ago I could have bought it for the same price (around $600) from Harvey Norman but the Australian importer has changed, and the new importers have jacked up the price to the stockists.

There's no reason I can see why this new company is charging so much more for them, they just got greedy I guess...
Old 03-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #19
battymum
DIS Veteran

I think they are campaigning to have full pay at 18 - which is reasonable, although DD says,then I just won't get any hours!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

Like all of you I bought so many things at half the price in the US and pretty much restrict my shopping to those trips. My electronic / microchip cat flap for which the pet shop here wanted $350 cost me only $150 (incl postage) off ebay from a pet shop in the UK!

Anyway - did you see the news reports of the Inquiry last night?
Apple blamed the record and movie companies saying it was them who had the disparate pricing which they are forced to pass on.
Adobe was vague saying they like to give clients a personalised service and it costs more to do that in Australia; and
Microsoft came out and said "yes we have disparate pricing in different markets cause we treat the markets differently and they are different
(I interpret to mean - more volume in USA means lower margin needed for profit target. Lower volume in Australia = higher margin need to reach profit threshold %
Sugarglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #21
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

yes, australia is a hugely taxed country. not so much in terms of personal income tax, but in terms of GST, value added tax, luxury goods tax, alcohol and tobacco tax, import duties etc etc etc.

items sold for $18 in the usa (dh's vans shoes) are on SALE here for $85. that's a heck of a lot more than a 40% markup.

i have found next to nothing cheaper here than in the states. the thing that gets me is amazon. an ebook for one of my authors is $7.99 for a brand new, pre-order EBOOK if your kindle is registered to a usa address. if it's registered to an australian address, that same EBOOK is priced at $15.99. double the price for the exact same digital content. manufacturing and labour costs are not relevant here as it's a digital format that costs no more to distribute via the internet in one location than another... so the response i got when i queried the pricing...it is determined by the publisher and the taxes and duties they feel are appropriate to the region. when i queried that, i was told that they can charge a higher price and label it as being 'influenced by additional taxes under taxation rulings' and therefore they do ... ugh. gets me so freaking mad. even paperback or hardcover books are $8.99 - $14.99 via amazon + shipping, which is still cheaper than the $42.50 one aussie bookstore chain wanted for the same product.

yes, we are hugely ripped off in almost every area of our economy. and it's due to the government's ridiculous import taxes on what it considers to be 'luxury' and other imported goods it feels are deserving of being taxed up the wazooo

i am a huge supporter of local businesses and trying to help support local producers and growers etc. but i also have a responsibility to my family to try and get the best value for our $$ in a ridiculously overpriced economy, especially when cost of living increases far exceed wage increases. cost of living is rising each and every year, however my wage has stayed the same for the last 3 years with no subsequent increase. this means that i have to find wiggle room in my household budget somewhere to absorb those cost of living increases without a commensurate increase in income, and unfortunately, that usually means buying from overseas on our trips, or via online distributors of overseas products without the ridiculous taxes and import duties added.

australia post and aussie customs put out a statement at christmas time that stated that they were processing such a huge backlog of shipments that some deliveries would be well outside the normal timeframes... the reason... people are increasingly buying products online and from overseas rather than paying the overinflated retail prices in the standard bricks and mortar shops i have siblings who work in retail, so i can appreciate the struggle from both sides of the fence, but honestly, taxing goods until they become prohibitive isn't the answer.

Last edited by alicia1506; 03-22-2013 at 07:41 PM.
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #22
miss.potatohead
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
Oh and the SDA is campaigning to abolish junior rates, after all, they do the same work - so wage costs for retailers are going to be even higher.
Sorry a bit OT but...

http://100percentpay.com.au/

I'm not part of the union, but I was shocked when my 15 year old co-worker told me she gets $9 (or so) per hour compared to my $18/hr for the exact same position! For us, 20 year olds get full adult wages. At 19 I earned $15/hr and it jumped to $18 at 20yrs. It makes me so thankful of my wage compared to that in the States where $6 an hour is quite common!
miss.potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #23
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMUMOF4 View Post

Unfortunatly that's not always the case DHs Cpap machine was Australian made and it was still $1200 cheaper to buy from the USA
Yes, that's right. It's mind boggling to think of why these things happen this way.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #24
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My 15 year old son just started working in retail - his wage is $8.41 per hour, and that is 45% of the award as he is under 16. On top of that he is paid 20% casual loading and 50% for working on Sunday.

While that seems a pretty poor wage to most, i am sure it compares to the minimum adult wage in the US. The retailers have to mark their prices up to cover our relatively high wages.
I was earning about $9 an hour as a temp in my early 20s around '94, I'm amazed that youth wages are that low still. We do have good wages and conditions although we still lag way behind compared to other countries.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #25
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
It's going to be impossible to get your first job if they do that. Why hire untrained teenagers if you can get mature adults for the same cost?

I just bought an Roomba 780 for less then half the price harvey norman has them for. I looked into it a fair bit before purchasing, and 2 months ago I could have bought it for the same price (around $600) from Harvey Norman but the Australian importer has changed, and the new importers have jacked up the price to the stockists.

There's no reason I can see why this new company is charging so much more for them, they just got greedy I guess...
Those little vacuum robots are all the rage now so maybe they're marking up to take advantage?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #26
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think they are campaigning to have full pay at 18 - which is reasonable, although DD says,then I just won't get any hours!
My sister worked at a food works or IGA as a teen and lost her hours to almost nil the day after she turned 18.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:29 AM   #27
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post

i have found next to nothing cheaper here than in the states. the thing that gets me is amazon. an ebook for one of my authors is $7.99 for a brand new, pre-order EBOOK if your kindle is registered to a usa address. if it's registered to an australian address, that same EBOOK is priced at $15.99. double the price for the exact same digital content. manufacturing and labour costs are not relevant here as it's a digital format that costs no more to distribute via the internet in one location than another... so the response i got when i queried the pricing...it is determined by the publisher and the taxes and duties they feel are appropriate to the region. when i queried that, i was told that they can charge a higher price and label it as being 'influenced by additional taxes under taxation rulings' and therefore they do ... ugh. gets me so freaking mad. even paperback or hardcover books are $8.99 - $14.99 via amazon + shipping, which is still cheaper than the $42.50 one aussie bookstore chain wanted for the same product.
yep - book prices are affected by two dynamics:

1. Australia has "parallel import restrictions" to protect Australian writers copyright levies within the Copyright Act. this has the effect of barring publishers from selling books published more cheaply overseas. (or something like that) And it seems to stop publishers from allowing the international sale of some books they just don't release here in Australia anyway. (e.g. I can't buy a copy of a Stephen Colbert book (print or electronic))

2. Apple and Amazon are having a war over book sales and locking in deals with publishers.

Australians are getting the rough end of pineapple on books for sure
Sugarglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:47 AM   #28
aussie shaz
Mouseketeer

I lost all of my hours in my part time job when I tuned 18.

Also, I used to work for a wholesale travel company. They had different prices for Western Australia than any other state, because 'consumers in WA just won't pay that much for their travel' but people in other states will.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:01 AM   #29
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlea98 View Post
Those little vacuum robots are all the rage now so maybe they're marking up to take advantage?

Maybe, but it doesn't make sense that at the beginning of February you could buy a Roomba 780 from Harvey Norman for $550, but today the exact same model costs $1200, just because the importer has changed.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:11 AM   #30
battymum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie shaz
I lost all of my hours in my part time job when I tuned 18.

Also, I used to work for a wholesale travel company. They had different prices for Western Australia than any other state, because 'consumers in WA just won't pay that much for their travel' but people in other states will.
My dd works in a supermarket and is turning 18 this year - they don't have a history of cutting hours, mostly they move on of their own accord or do the shifts that the young ones cant such as late nights - but the manager has said he doesn't hire anyone over 15!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: