Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
Celidh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Mom View Post
So sorry to hear that you have to cancel your vacation. I can relate, we should be in DL right now but had to cancel our spring break vacation because our lab required very expensive life saving surgery which drained our vacation fund! The bright side is we have rescheduled for Aug. in WDW, which was our first choice anyway. I hope you guys can reschedule your holiday...maybe for a time when airfare is less and it is not so HOT in Florida...good luck!
Sorry to hear about your vacation for spring break. I hope all is well on the health side of your family.

We have a different cheaper vacation booked and I think the kids will enjoy it just as much. My partner and I are the Disney fans. They get to have a trip to Canada's Wonderland and we also have a cottage at the beach for a week. It is in Sauble beach, one of the world's largest fresh water beaches where I grew up near. Other than the drive with two of the kids (one is flying ahead of us to spend time with his grandparents) it will be a more restful vacation than Disney.

We will get to go again, but maybe not for at least a year, more likely two. I have one child needing braces soon. I was hoping to get to go while my oldest was the age he is (16 this summer). He may be out of the house by the time we get to go again.

Celidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #17
Sue M
DIS Veteran

On a brighter note.....

I also am going in Jan 2014 and just booked that flight. Not wanting to get caught with higher fares again, I found $318 RT on Kayak.
Going down on United, sea to Houston, 1 hr layover, arrive in Florida at 7:00 Pm, then direct non-stop flight on Alaska from MCO to sea return.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL

Last edited by Sue M; 03-23-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #18
KaraLyn
Earning My Ears

YHZ-MCO Air Fare

I've been checking flights for March 2014...I know probably too early to be looking at air fares, but looks like 274 taxes in for one way from YHZ to MCO on AC. Not a bad rate, but not direct. Has anyone flown out of Halifax non-stop to Florida in March?

Thanks

KaraLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #19
kellymarch
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLyn
I've been checking flights for March 2014...I know probably too early to be looking at air fares, but looks like 274 taxes in for one way from YHZ to MCO on AC. Not a bad rate, but not direct. Has anyone flown out of Halifax non-stop to Florida in March?

Thanks
We just flew. Feb. 28 - March 7 direct, non-stop out of Halifax on Southwest. Was about $625 RT I think.
kellymarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #20
The Lorax
Impossible is nothing

We usually go to Portland and have had the best success with decent fares in Air Tran ($200-225 RT) but with a connection. We are waiting for booking times to open for Mar 2014 rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymarch View Post
We just flew. Feb. 28 - March 7 direct, non-stop out of Halifax on Southwest. Was about $625 RT I think.
I had no idea Southwest had any flights into Canada? Is this something new?

03/01/2014 7-Night Western Caribbean - Fantasy
The Lorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #21
Tortuga Rob
Dead men tell no tales.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celidh View Post
We had to change our plans and cancel Disney because it would have cost us around $3,600 for 5 people to go from Halifax to MCO the end of August.

I'm so sad about it. Even though we have different plans for vacation and it is all booked, I still haven't cancelled Disney. I"m so pathetic. I better get going or we will lose our deposit.
Why not drive and save HUGE dollars? It is the cost of 1 flight rt. Just my thought.

Nov 1983, Nov 1984, Feb 1994, Feb 1995 Offsite
Oct 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites
Oct 2005 POP/OKW/CS MNSSHP
Sept 2006 POP Free DDP MNSSHP
May 2007 POP DDP
Nov 2010 POP Free DDP
May 2012 POP/POR Free DDP
Sept 2013 POR MNSSHP Free DDP

(Rob), (SnowWhite), (DD 16), (DS 10), (DD 4)
Tortuga Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
kellymarch
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I had no idea Southwest had any flights into Canada? Is this something new?
Oops. Meant to type Sunwing.
kellymarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
The Lorax
Impossible is nothing

Quote:
Oops. Meant to type Sunwing.
Thanks, that makes more sense now. I thought that maybe I missed something,
I bet it was nice to have that direct flight!

03/01/2014 7-Night Western Caribbean - Fantasy
The Lorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #24
KaraLyn
Earning My Ears

Sunwing

Quote:
Thanks Kellymarch....I'll check out Sunwing. I'll play the wait and see game for now and hope for prices to drop through the year.

KaraLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #25
westcoastgal
Mouseketeer

We are flying direct from Toronto to Orlando in late September. I refuse to go from Buffalo with little kids unless there was substantial savings and there aren't. Plus, once I factored in drive time, parking a car, and that when we come home, we just want to get home, and not through the border, it was a no brainer for us. I have a friend going to DW in November who disagrees and is going to fly from Buffalo but I honestly don't see the savings unless you are a large family, and then I would or even drive.
I have used Yapta and love it. I am so glad we bought our tickets when we did as they have been going up since. I purchased and then told my friend who's going with us, to buy as my research and hunch told me that prices would go up. She waited and ended up paying $40 more each ticket but since, they have gone up and up anyways. I paid $432 per person.
The deciding factor for me was flight times. I hate wasting full days on travel. I chose the morning flight there so that when we land, we still have a full day and our departure is 8:30pm at night, giving us a good portion of the day in Orlando before heading to the airport. Maybe I am wrong but from Buffalo, I was seeing indirect flights, or direct flights that were pricey, flight times I wouldn't want to do and baggage fees the same or higher than Canadian airlines.
Perhaps I should've waited closer to departure? My American friends say that with the current furloughs happening in the United States and cutbacks, they expect the airlines and transport employees to be affected, possibly resulting in higher airfares. Only time will tell but a few of them have already been affected directly at their jobs and have been cutback to try and balance the budget which Congress was unable to do. This gives me no faith in waiting to see if prices from Buffalo would go down super low. On the other hand, things surprise me all the time.
westcoastgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #26
wdwmom3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastgal
We are flying direct from Toronto to Orlando in late September. I refuse to go from Buffalo with little kids unless there was substantial savings and there aren't. Plus, once I factored in drive time, parking a car, and that when we come home, we just want to get home, and not through the border, it was a no brainer for us. I have a friend going to DW in November who disagrees and is going to fly from Buffalo but I honestly don't see the savings unless you are a large family, and then I would or even drive.
I have used Yapta and love it. I am so glad we bought our tickets when we did as they have been going up since. I purchased and then told my friend who's going with us, to buy as my research and hunch told me that prices would go up. She waited and ended up paying $40 more each ticket but since, they have gone up and up anyways. I paid $432 per person.
The deciding factor for me was flight times. I hate wasting full days on travel. I chose the morning flight there so that when we land, we still have a full day and our departure is 8:30pm at night, giving us a good portion of the day in Orlando before heading to the airport. Maybe I am wrong but from Buffalo, I was seeing indirect flights, or direct flights that were pricey, flight times I wouldn't want to do and baggage fees the same or higher than Canadian airlines.
Perhaps I should've waited closer to departure? My American friends say that with the current furloughs happening in the United States and cutbacks, they expect the airlines and transport employees to be affected, possibly resulting in higher airfares. Only time will tell but a few of them have already been affected directly at their jobs and have been cutback to try and balance the budget which Congress was unable to do. This gives me no faith in waiting to see if prices from Buffalo would go down super low. On the other hand, things surprise me all the time.
We saved about $1000 flying out of buffalo (5 people). The parking there is also a lot cheaper. I have found crossing the bridges very easy. We also don't have to leave that much earlier then flying out of Toronto since you only need to be there 90 mins not 3 hours before the flight. It was also really nice checking our bags right at the resort for our trip home. But my favorite part of flying out of buffalo is just how less stressful it is. The airport is a lot smaller and less busy then Pearson. It just made our trip more enjoyable.

Yes it all us carriers charge for bags. We are flying JetBlue and they do not charge for the 1st checked bag or drinks and snacks. I have always had great service with them.
wdwmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #27
kuhltiffany
Mouseketeer

It depends when you are travelling too. For us, flying from Buffalo saves us at least half, sometimes it's as much as 1/4 of the price from Toronto. The price of parking/hotel in Buffalo is the same as parking alone in TO. It also makes going through customs easier too. I just booked our flights in Oct, $1030 return for 4 of us on Southwest!

kuhltiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:24 AM   #28
westcoastgal
Mouseketeer

If it were 4 or 5 of us, I'd choose Buffalo too but it's usually only 2 or 3 of us. Luckily, we never have to pay to park at the airport and are dropped off and picked up. I agree that being there 3 hours early sucks but I'm usually there 2 and half if I'm lucky and that's where Air Canada lounge service helps us out.
Can I ask your flight times for those booked on Jet Blue and Southwest? Direct or indirect?
Maybe I should take another look for another trip we are planning and to give my friend going in November an idea of prices and flight times as her dates aren't bookable yet.
westcoastgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:27 AM   #29
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom3 View Post
We saved about $1000 flying out of buffalo (5 people). The parking there is also a lot cheaper. I have found crossing the bridges very easy. We also don't have to leave that much earlier then flying out of Toronto since you only need to be there 90 mins not 3 hours before the flight. It was also really nice checking our bags right at the resort for our trip home. But my favorite part of flying out of buffalo is just how less stressful it is. The airport is a lot smaller and less busy then Pearson. It just made our trip more enjoyable.
I will second this, and ditto it for the Syracuse airport. We have flown out of both and found not only a substantial savings on flight prices as compared to flying from Pearson, but also navigating the airports are a breeze (Pearson, in contrast, is a nightmare). We have all said we'd rather fly from Syracuse in particular (just because it avoids the traffic woes of Toronto for our commute) even if prices were the SAME as flying from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastgal View Post
Can I ask your flight times for those booked on Jet Blue and Southwest? Direct or indirect?
All of our flights, whether from Syracuse or Buffalo, have been non-stop (direct). We have not flown Southwest (I detest their open seating policy) but we have used both Jetblue (our favourite ) and Airtran.

For Christmas, our flight departed Buffalo at 7:55 am and had us on Orlando soil at 10:30 am. I think our flight home left at 4:30 pm (we landed at about 7 pm in Buffalo).

We are flying from Syracuse for our trip this August, again non-stop both directions and both ways on Jetblue. We were super happy to get a mid-afternoon flight to Orlando on a Friday (which means we don't need a park and fly hotel) and an early afternoon flight home on a Saturday (which has us back in SYR at 3 pm, allowing us to make it home at a reasonable time in evening). Those are the IDEAL times for our family.

We paid $330 pp for this coming August. This includes seat selection and checked baggage, as well as snacks on the plane.

I just ran the dates with Air Canada. Prices are $575 pp and we would have to take a 7 am flight home (or an 11 pm....even worse). And baggage, seat selection and food are all additional costs, if I am not mistaken.

Westjet is $484 pp return, with abysmal times.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #30
wdwmom3
Mouseketeer

We are taking a late afternoon flight to mco this time. But there was an 8am flight the same day that was only about $15 a person more when we booked. Last time we went our flights left around 10am. On our way home we are taking a mid afternoon flight but could have taken an evening flight that was cheaper (we didn't want to be home late as we have to be at work the next day).

We don't stay at a hotel when we go so not sure what the hotel prices are like, but we paid $55 for a week of parking at the lot right at the terminal. There are other lots a little further away that are even cheaper.
wdwmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: