Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
LadyFan55
Mouse-a-holic

IMHO Wyndham Bonnet Creek us Far superior

We have stayed at WBC twice and would go back in a hearbeat. The rooms are beautiful, the resort is wonderful, the multiple pools are superior (yes, even to BCV sand).

After reading all many glowing reviews of BCV, my husband and I decided to stay in a 1B for 3 nights (2/12/13-2/15/13 in room 345). We could not have been more let down!! The pool is no big deal (all other none-DVC resorts we have stayed at have better pool/pool areas), the tiny room reminded us of furnished low-budget multi-family housing, the beds were worse than being on an ER examination table, the bathroom and closet configuration is just down right maddening.

Now I realize this may offend some DVC owners, but I cannot allow that to keep me from speaking truth. Yes, there are perks to staying on prop, but if you want a beautiful, spacious room, a dreamy bed, multiple awesome pools areas, it is a no brainer, Wyndham Bonnet Creek blows BCV out of the water.
Teen-DS
Teen-DS
LadyFan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFan55 View Post
After reading all many glowing reviews of BCV, my husband and I decided to stay in a 1B for 3 nights (2/12/13-2/15/13 in room 345). We could not have been more let down!! The pool is no big deal (all other none-DVC resorts we have stayed at have better pool/pool areas),
did you understand that the pool that is so great is not at BCV - it is SALB - it is between BC and Yc. the big pool with sand on the bottom.

bcv has access to it and the quiet pools at YC and BC as well.

Now WBC is nice - but nothing it has can compare with SLB. sorry my opinion

now have stayed at WBC - yes it does have good points - also some bad ones.

be sure you understand where the silly lights are located - they are not in one area but several places and some are hard to find.

the tub was not a whirlpool - but one of those one with the tiny jets - not good for muscle relaxation (bryan's spanish cove also has these) these are in the master bedroom

there is a whirlpool tub outside with the pool.

also happen to love BCV and even BWV (just not looking at that pool)

so this would be hard for me to decide - guess it depends upon what you want - more room - or looking our your room and seeing Disney.

have done both - stayed offsite (in many timeshares/hotels/motels) and stayed onsite (DVC and WDW hotels).

for me it depends upon how I feel when I make the reservation.

for the OP what days are you talking about? with the new rates from Rci - you got a reasonable price for WBC - though those days were gone.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #18
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzelady View Post
Keep in mind the parking situation at Boardwalk (across the street). And those loooonnnng hallways!
BWV/BWI resort guest lot is by the conference ctr....only a few minute walk from the lobby (even if parked in furthest end). there is an additional lot behind valet.
non-resort guests are usually directed to use valet, or the lot across the street (thankfully, they have gotten very strict with "visitors" who try to use the resort guest lots).

BWV's also have community hall, jellyrolls, nighttime entertainers and carny games, and is a short stroll (or boatride) to EPCOT and/or DHS. so you avoid the spring break parking chaos at at least 2 parks, saving a lot of vaca time

long hallways? worse case scenerio is that you do wind up furthest from the elevator, BUT there are many, MANY stairwells throughout the resort that lead to the DHS walkway, BW, Luna park, quiet pool, etc. we go at least 2x a year, and rarely, if ever, use the elevators (the stairs just feel like our own private entry/exit).
had we not stayed at the BWVs, we planned to try WBC.....but now we just can't give up all the BW offers
Old 02-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #19
MermaidMommy
DIS Veteran

To answer the questions about Swan/Dolphin:

You can book through Disney, but you can get better rates by booking with the hotels directly. They have lots of discounts throughout the year: AAA,
AARP, Entertainment Book. There area also seasonal ones.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #20
LadyFan55
Mouse-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
did you understand that the pool that is so great is not at BCV - it is SALB - it is between BC and Yc. the big pool with sand on the bottom.

be sure you understand where the silly lights are located - they are not in one area but several places and some are hard to find.

the tub was not a whirlpool - but one of those one with the tiny jets - not good for muscle relaxation (bryan's spanish cove also has these) these are in the master bedroom

so this would be hard for me to decide - guess it depends upon what you want - more room - or looking our your room and seeing Disney.

have done both - stayed offsite (in many timeshares/hotels/motels) and stayed onsite (DVC and WDW hotels).

for the OP what days are you talking about? with the new rates from Rci - you got a reasonable price for WBC - though those days were gone.
Sorry if I confused things, I know which pool Storm Along bay is, and it is indeed the pool I was talking about. Again, not that big of a deal compared to WBC, Marriott Lakeshore Reserve (bit of a drive), Sheraton Vistana Resort... On our 8 family member trip, all agreed nothing beats strolling around the lake at WBC visiting all the pools. From 2 totally different lazy rivers, to a salt water/pirateship pool. It is just so cool!!!

As for becoming familiar with your room, it does take about 5 - 10 min's to orient yourself to any new room. And yes, WBC is no different. But even after getting used to the crazy bathroom/closet floorplan at BCV, we both still hated it.

In addition to the superior room quality, from real closets to comfy beds, price also makes a big difference when deciding where to stay. But in the end, the beds at both BCV OKW where both pretty bad, we got almost no sleep. The smaller, queen size beds on the Disney Dream Cruise ship, now that is the quality they should have at their resorts, those beds were just as wonderful as the beds at WBC, only smaller (queens vs kings).

Indeed to trade into WBC via RCI, you must start your search early. We also use Farrell to add days to our stay.

We all have our own opinion, I just know that we will never go back to BCV, least not until they change out the horrible beds. Sleep is just far too important when visiting WDW.
Teen-DS
Teen-DS
Old 02-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

regarding swan/dolphin discounts

It is likely that WBC will still be cheaper than S/D, but the difference will possibly be much less than comparing to renting BCV points - but you have to check. As others have mentioned, S/D often has AAA discounts, and has "permanent" discounts for teachers and military, but there are also periodic discounts published on the "starwood" web page, and also if you go directly to swan/dolphin website and look at online quoted rates, there are often very discounted rates only available on the hotel's website. Their "value" seasons do not always directly coincide with Disney, because so much of their business is convention-related, which is on a slightly different schedule than traditional vacation schedule value/peak seasons.
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #22
jamelynn24
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat

OP here! This was an old thread so we have been booked for a while. Decided to rent DVC points (didn't want to borrow from our own next use year) and we are doing a split stay between BCV and BWV. Very excited with our choice!! Our dates are 3/23-4/2, so right smack in the middle of spring break! I think we made good choices for when the crowds get to us and we need a break from the parks...both places have great pools and plenty to do at the resort!
jamelynn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #23
LadyFan55
Mouse-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamelynn24 View Post
OP here! This was an old thread so we have been booked for a while. Decided to rent DVC points (didn't want to borrow from our own next use year) and we are doing a split stay between BCV and BWV. Very excited with our choice!! Our dates are 3/23-4/2, so right smack in the middle of spring break! I think we made good choices for when the crowds get to us and we need a break from the parks...both places have great pools and plenty to do at the resort!
Hi OP ,

Hope you have a wonderful time!

I love this thread, it may be older, but still very relevant.

I was doing the same research myself for our trip this last February. We too picked a split stay, we did BCV & OKW, over going back to WBC for a 3rd time. Now that we have stayed at both, this was a great place to post our experiences. Maybe others who have stayed at both will also continue to chime in, helping researchers to make their decision.

Although we will never stay at BCV long term again, I am so glad we picked it this last time. I think everyone needs to try staying on-prop at DVC Resorts at least once, nothing beats experiencing it yourself. The same goes for WBC and other non-DVC Gold Level Resorts nearby.

So jealous that we will not be there this Spring, but we are enjoying planing our next WDW visit (back at an off-prop resort again this time) and Disney Dream Cruise for Oct 2013
Teen-DS
Teen-DS
Old 03-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #24
jamelynn24
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFan55

Hi OP ,

Hope you have a wonderful time!

I love this thread, it may be older, but still very relevant.

I was doing the same research myself for our trip this last February. We too picked a split stay, we did BCV & OKW, over going back to WBC for a 3rd time. Now that we have stayed at both, this was a great place to post our experiences. Maybe others who have stayed at both will also continue to chime in, helping researchers to make their decision.

Although we will never stay at BCV long term again, I am so glad we picked it this last time. I think everyone needs to try staying on-prop at DVC Resorts at least once, nothing beats experiencing it yourself. The same goes for WBC and other non-DVC Gold Level Resorts nearby.

So jealous that we will not be there this Spring, but we are enjoying planing our next WDW visit (back at an off-prop resort again this time) and Disney Dream Cruise for Oct 2013
I think someday we will end up at WBC! We stayed at Wyndham at the Wilderness waterpark in Wisconsin last month and WOW....it was so great to have all that space! We spent so much time in the room watching movies and playing games...so nice just to relax! But that was a waterpark...not so sure we could do that with Disney!!!!
We are just such suckers for staying at a Disney owned resort. I was worried that if we stayed at WBC, I wouldn't be as excited for the trip. Now that we booked two amazing resorts, I'm giddy with excitement!!!
jamelynn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #25
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Just so everyone knows..the OP started this thread in JUNE of 2012. Why it was brought back from the dead after 6 months I am not sure.

The Yacht and Beach Club are our favorite Disney Resorts with 5 stays.

We are making our 4th stay at Bonnet Creek resort in 10 days.

For us, it all boils down to cost. Its $1800 cheaper to stay at Bonnet Creek than Beach club with the current discounts. And thats a 2 bedromm condo at bonnect creek vs a standard room at BC.

Yes, the pool at beach club is better, but Bonnet creeks pool"s" are nice in their own way. My kids dont mind.

Its a short 5 min drive from bonnet creek to anyplace on disney property, so while i do miss the bus service, it s not that big of deal. When we stay at an offsite, we park where we can take disney buss service and not pay for parking.

so again...for us..it all boils down to cost. we rotate every other year on vs off site. last year we stayed at beach club, this march it is bonnect creek. next summer will be back to beach club.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #26
LadyFan55
Mouse-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post
Just so everyone knows..the OP started this thread in JUNE of 2012. Why it was brought back from the dead after 6 months I am not sure.
Sorry to be repetitive, but it looks like you missed it (????), so here you go again, copied from my post before yours:

: "I love this thread, it may be older, but still very relevant.
I was doing the same research myself for our trip this last February (2013)."

It will ALWAYS be relevant until one or other of the resorts longer exists, or to use your words one of the resorts is "dead". It may be dead to yooouuuu, but it was not a "dead" to me in Feb 2013, and it may not be a "dead" to others. I found it valuable. This is a public forum... right???

Tickled and pleased that you went on to add your POV anyway. There are those of us who really do still love the on-going POV's. As for me, If I am nl interested in a thread, I unsubscribe from it and leave others to continuing to enjoy and share as they please.

May your day be filled with cheers, sparkle and Pixie Dust and your dreams be of Castles and fireworks

PS - As for our large family who HAS indeed stayed at both, WBC blows BCV away. The biggest reason is the beds. Hands down. So if good quality sleep is important to you, I'd suggest avoiding DVC locations until they have quality beds, like the Disney Cruise line, and get away from the low grade, cheap, itchy sheets. (NOTE- I asked DVC and THEY told me the beds are the same hard mattresses and low quality sheets at all the resorts. They may be wrong, but plz take that up with them as I am just the poor fool sharing what they told me).
Teen-DS
Teen-DS

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: