Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
SandleOoo
Earning My Ears

Prosthesis and autographs

My daughter was born missing her right tibia, and had to have her leg amputated at the knee at age 4 months. Now, at age 7 years, she is going to WDW for the first time. She's had a prosthesis since she was 7 months old, so I'm not worried about walking tons in it. My question is for character autographs. She has a friend who had his "peg leg" signed by Pittsburgh Pirates, now she wants Cinderella to sign her "little leg". Anyone know if this is a possibility? She's very proud of her leg, and no longer self conscious with stares from others. She moves well in it (in pants, no one realizes she has a prosthesis), and wouldn't be knocked over. I saw elsewhere that characters can't sign a shirt if you're wearing it, so I wasn't sure if this would be possible???
SandleOoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandleOoo View Post
My daughter was born missing her right tibia, and had to have her leg amputated at the knee at age 4 months. Now, at age 7 years, she is going to WDW for the first time. She's had a prosthesis since she was 7 months old, so I'm not worried about walking tons in it. My question is for character autographs. She has a friend who had his "peg leg" signed by Pittsburgh Pirates, now she wants Cinderella to sign her "little leg". Anyone know if this is a possibility? She's very proud of her leg, and no longer self conscious with stares from others. She moves well in it (in pants, no one realizes she has a prosthesis), and wouldn't be knocked over. I saw elsewhere that characters can't sign a shirt if you're wearing it, so I wasn't sure if this would be possible???
I would say this is akin to characters signing a cast, which is allowed. There's not a rule against it to my knowledge (At least there wasn't when I worked in entertainment a few years ago), but don't be surprised if the character hesitates a bit if they're unsure.

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

i have read that characters can not sign anything that is on your body ( but I think that they are talking more about shirts and such). I have read mixed reviews about charters signing cast, but i would hope that they may be able to help you out. I have not personal knowledge of a prosthetic, but is it something the would require a great deal of effort to put on or take off? If the characters could not sign it with it attached could it be easily removed and then out back on? On our last trip we got lucky and ended up at characterpuluza at HS. A man in his wheelchair ask Pocahontas to sign the back of his chair and she said that she was not allowed to sing a medical device, but then a few minutes later the evil queen from snow white, Goofy and Max and one more all signed the back of it
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I agree with Plaid Princess that it would likely be handled like casts, which I have heard a lot of people have had signed.
An issue might come up if the area to be signed is high on the leg, then Cinderella may be able to sign it if it is off, but not when it is on.

You might want to look into some other possibilities, in case it can't be signed.
For example, if she got a sticker or some other material signed, could that be applied to the prosthetic latter? Maybe with something else over it to protect it?

Maybe her prosthetist would have some ideas of how to get the signature attached if the leg can't be signed. You might also want to check with the prosthetist on what kind of pen to use and how to protect the signature once it is on the leg.

Good luck and here's hoping your little princess gets her signature.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: