Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #136
Karlzmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymom99 View Post
I would think you could put them on a strap of your bag, or on a belt loop or something similar. That way you wouldn't have to wear it on the wrist. Wearing it though would make it convienent and faster than fishing for a ticket. Technology can be a good thing folks. Before long, we will wonder what we did without them.
I'm visualizing a sea of fanny-packs with bands flapping from the waist strap each step the wearer takes....
AKV 2012, 2013 & 2014 BWV 2013
Disney Wonder to Alaska 2014
Back to Alaska on the Wonder in 2015

KATIE Yes, I'm the Jeopardy! champ......
Karlzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #137
jiminyfan
Daddy, Dreamer and WDWnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDan523 View Post
For those who don't want to wear a MagicBand all day, they will be offering a card-style RFID option that can go into a purse or pocket. From what I've been hearing over on the rumors and news section and various press releases on the matter, you can have both a card and a magic band and use them interchangeably. The only difference is the cards will only have a short-range passive transmitter (what is triggered for the "tap" sensors such as your resort room, park turnstyles, and FP redemption) while the magic bands will have an additional battery-powered long-range active transmitter (to be read by sensors throughout the park which Disney may use to determine crowd control measures or determine to whom to send special deals such as coupons or bonus FPs) in addition to the passive transmitter. Of course with the bands being watch band style, if you want to take advantage of the benefits of the long-range transmitter without wearing it, you could always loop it around a belt loop or purse strap.
This makes my decision easy, cards for us. Also, am I the only one who thinks they will be extremely hot and uncomfortable to wear especially in Summer. I cannot wear a watch and these seem to be even hotter and ugly. Cheap plastic isnt my style.

April 2014
Son and his school is performed at Downtown Disney and the band lead the Good Friday Parade
Wonderful Time and great shows by the students

August 2014 - First AoA stay And it was great, added a few extra days at CSR

November 2014 - Decided to end the AP year with one more trip. Stay at Coronado again. Forgot how much we lve this place.

jiminyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #138
jiminyfan
Daddy, Dreamer and WDWnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel4569 View Post

After I had my "Wow that's cool!" thought one of my next thoughts was "What will the cost be to ship that box to each family?" It kind of circles around to my other thought though. If it costs $10 to ship the box (which I am guessing is high) but allows a guest to skip the check-in process then it could, in theory, save money/time for the resort by having fewer guests checking in regularly and recouping the cost that way.

Keep in mind that Disney is in the money making business. They wouldn't roll out something like this without a way to make a profit in the long run. If it makes things more efficient and thereby gets more people into the parks then that is more people spending money. Time is money, especially at Disney so any way they can streamline things and get you into the parks, restaurants and stores and less time waiting for things is to their benefit as much as it is yours.

Again, thinking about DME and arriving/departing. You have your MagicBand and you approach the bus, wave your band and boom, the driver knows which resort you are at or which airline you are going to, how many people are with you, etc. With that information in a computer a driver could, in theory, have his route adjusted for him to be the most efficient based on who his passengers are. Faster trip to your resort or the airport, fewer stops, etc.

There is a lot of good that could come out of it with the right amount of imagination.
I think I read the cost for research and development was between $800 million or more. This to me means the ROI on this investment is going to be to recoop add in the shipping box and costs I am at a loss why a corporation would invest so much into this. Reading that the wrist bands can be read at a longer distance makes me wonder where and how they are going to use the collected data.

I guess time will tell how all of this plays out. Just seems like a lot of cost for such little benefit for customer, si I guess the Mouse is going to benefit in a big way.

April 2014
Son and his school is performed at Downtown Disney and the band lead the Good Friday Parade
Wonderful Time and great shows by the students

August 2014 - First AoA stay And it was great, added a few extra days at CSR

November 2014 - Decided to end the AP year with one more trip. Stay at Coronado again. Forgot how much we lve this place.

jiminyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #139
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

I think it's all very cool. By wearing one I'll be part of the Mickey Militia
Micca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #140
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDan523 View Post
For those who don't want to wear a MagicBand all day, they will be offering a card-style RFID option that can go into a purse or pocket. From what I've been hearing over on the rumors and news section and various press releases on the matter, you can have both a card and a magic band and use them interchangeably. The only difference is the cards will only have a short-range passive transmitter (what is triggered for the "tap" sensors such as your resort room, park turnstyles, and FP redemption) while the magic bands will have an additional battery-powered long-range active transmitter (to be read by sensors throughout the park which Disney may use to determine crowd control measures or determine to whom to send special deals such as coupons or bonus FPs) in addition to the passive transmitter. Of course with the bands being watch band style, if you want to take advantage of the benefits of the long-range transmitter without wearing it, you could always loop it around a belt loop or purse strap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminyfan View Post
This makes my decision easy, cards for us. Also, am I the only one who thinks they will be extremely hot and uncomfortable to wear especially in Summer. I cannot wear a watch and these seem to be even hotter and ugly. Cheap plastic isnt my style.
I didn't see the first post before...but let me point out a few things.

Bolded part #1: This is actually the first I've ever heard of that, and I actually don't believe it will be true. Allowing it would allow for two or more active devices attached to the same profile, and could allow for a person to be in "two places at once".

Bolded part #2: Those are only possibilities - I don't believe Disney has stated what they will or won't use the transmitters for, other than to enable "experiences" that can be triggered when guests pass certain points, or let a princess call a child by name (by being displayed discreetly somewhere before the child approaches). So not having a magicband would limit some experiences.

I personally don't think they'd be useful at all for crowd control in practice. And to send special offers would require a device to send to - the MagicBands themselves have no receiver, display, or indicators (although I thought a nice feature would be a "restaurant pager" function built-in...)
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #141
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

What I am curious about is how they will deal with people like me that I have an AP and then get a KTTW card when I reserve at WDW.

Will I get two magic bands? Or will they add the ressie info to my AP.

:D (Yes, I just want two magic bands. LOL!!)

Jackie
Old 03-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #142
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiorox View Post
What I am curious about is how they will deal with people like me that I have an AP and then get a KTTW card when I reserve at WDW.

Jackie
From what I understand from various threads, your resort stay will be added to your AP band.
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #143
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78 View Post

From what I understand from various threads, your resort stay will be added to your AP band.
That's what I've concluded too.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #144
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:

Jackie
Are you referring to when you book a package for Free Dining or the like which includes tickets, or just a room?

For the latter, they would simply associate your existing MagicBand with your room.

For the former...who knows yet? They may have to handle ticket entitlements differently, or issue them as separate media you can store away and not interfere with using your AP.

Note that MagicBands technically have a limited lifetime, due to the battery. After the battery (which is not replaceable) dies, the radio transmitter will not function, which will make them no better than the RFID cards and you may lose out on whatever experiences require the transmitter. So it remains to be seen what kind of replacement policy might be in place. I've heard that the battery has about a two-year lifetime given the low power of the transmitter, so it will be a while before we know
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 03-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #145
DisneyBliss7
''Wish upon a star''

I have honestly never heard of these!?!? Are they offered to everyone? And are they extra money if we want them? We are staying at AKV that we rented points from a DVC member. We will have 4 day park tickets. Would we get them even though we didn't directly book through Disney? I like them but I'll probably carry mine more then wear it if we end up having them...I know my kids would like wearing them though

DD-13 DD-10 DS-7 DS-7 DS-3 DH- ME-
DisneyBliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #146
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBliss7 View Post
I have honestly never heard of these!?!? Are they offered to everyone? And are they extra money if we want them? We are staying at AKV that we rented points from a DVC member. We will have 4 day park tickets. Would we get them even though we didn't directly book through Disney? I like them but I'll probably carry mine more then wear it if we end up having them...I know my kids would like wearing them though
They aren't available yet. But we've been talking about them for months. This is just the first official public display of them.

Eventually, everyone staying at a Disney resort will get them by default, as will AP members and people who purchase the PhotoPass+ packages. Others can purchase them for a fee.

No one at this point knows when they will actually be in guests hands.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #147
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Looks great, WED, thanks for sharing.
I agree with the comment on the post....Shut up and take my money. Those would be awesome. Hopefully the system will be up by late August. Pretty sure DD would be wearing them forever.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #148
SuperDan523
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

I didn't see the first post before...but let me point out a few things.

Bolded part #1: This is actually the first I've ever heard of that, and I actually don't believe it will be true. Allowing it would allow for two or more active devices attached to the same profile, and could allow for a person to be in "two places at once".

Bolded part #2: Those are only possibilities - I don't believe Disney has stated what they will or won't use the transmitters for, other than to enable "experiences" that can be triggered when guests pass certain points, or let a princess call a child by name (by being displayed discreetly somewhere before the child approaches). So not having a magicband would limit some experiences.

I personally don't think they'd be useful at all for crowd control in practice. And to send special offers would require a device to send to - the MagicBands themselves have no receiver, display, or indicators (although I thought a nice feature would be a "restaurant pager" function built-in...)
Reports from people collecting the new RFID AP cards at F&G are saying, at least with APs, that both will be able to be used at the same time. I would imagine the biometric measurements (when working) would prevent double use, as well as possibly placing RFID sensors at exit turnstiles to make sure goings in and goings out match up.

I agree, I only mentioned some of the possibilities. Card users would be at a disadvantage with character meetings and interactive cues. Definitely a point Disney will use to push people more toward the bands which they can track.

Crowd control measures will be incorporated via the My Disney Experience smart phone app. I wouldn't be surprised to see push alerts added to the app once this is in full swing. Non smart phone users will be at a disadvantage, sure, but guests will still be able to check incoming offers via touch screen kiosks throughout the parks.
SuperDan523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #149
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Jackie
You are looking at it wrong, in my opinion. The band only identifies your profile in Disney's system. All of your info will live in that profile. This includes tickets, resort info, photopass, dining packages, FPs, etc. you don't need more than one band because that one band will link to all of your stuff.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #150
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Note that MagicBands technically have a limited lifetime, due to the battery. After the battery (which is not replaceable) dies, the radio transmitter will not function, which will make them no better than the RFID cards and you may lose out on whatever experiences require the transmitter. So it remains to be seen what kind of replacement policy might be in place. I've heard that the battery has about a two-year lifetime given the low power of the transmitter, so it will be a while before we know
the nature of the beast is that there will be some duds and some dying early. I imagine that they will deal with this very easily. If the battery dies, they give you a new band and link the new one to your profile. The entire process should take less than a minute. We already know that the replacement process should be fairly quick and painless since they will be selling upgrade bands.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: